Weekly food spend?

TacoGuy

Tuesdays and I go to the fresh market. Or daily market except it's not every day only Tuesdays. First I'll get a fruit and vegetable shake to drink while I walk around and look at the knock off stuff, some real mostly fake but fun to look at. I bought two pocket knives last week the Gerber was a fake but the Chinese one was real. That takes me to the quail egg guy who breaks and cooks 10 quail eggs for 20 baht. I wouldn't crack the eggs for 20 baht. Quail eggs are good for you. After the quail eggs I get some fresh fried French fries (can't resist). Then sliced roast pork and spring rolls, some dim sum and sushi. All this while I walk around looking for something I actually need. A couple of bucks to eat while I shop with no signs - no food or drink allowed in the store.

I drink the coconut milk and bring the shell home for the dog. It's a toy and food to her at the same time.

Edited by thailiketoo

Fresh scallops 44 baht per kilo, live lobster a bit more.

That's a typo, right?

A fisherman comes to work and that 's what he sells them for. Live lobster are 200 baht each. Slipper lobster less.

You ever hear that trick about punching circular disks out of skate wing meat and selling them as scallops?

I'm just saying that price sounds suspiciously low; never seen seafood sell that cheaply, much less scallops. That works out to $.56 cents a pound. Yikes! whistling.gif

Oh, I get it. No, one of the reasons these are cheap are they are alive and still in the shell (so you pay for the shell too). I only buy the ones that are still closed and alive.

I don't really have a "budget" but I am quite aware of prices.

I eat out one meal almost every day, and eat home another meal.

Brekkie at home.

I eat a wide variety of nationalities of food eating out, but no "high end" places.

Typical street food full meal (might be two dishes) -- 40 to 100

Cheap Thai restaurant / food court -- 150 ish

Moderate level meals, Thai and otherwise, still cheap -- 200 - 250 ish

Typical spend for a mid level non-Thai meal -- 300 - 350

Expensive meal for me - 400 to 500

For a week adding grocery shopping and eating out, I guess about 3500 - 4000 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't really have a "budget" but I am quite aware of prices.

I eat out one meal almost every day, and eat home another meal.

Brekkie at home.

I eat a wide variety of nationalities of food eating out, but no "high end" places.

Typical street food full meal (might be two dishes) -- 40 to 100

Cheap Thai restaurant / food court -- 150 ish

Moderate level meals, Thai and otherwise, still cheap -- 200 - 250 ish

Typical spend for a mid level non-Thai meal -- 300 - 350

Expensive meal for me - 400 to 500

For a week adding grocery shopping and eating out, I guess about 3500 - 4000 baht.

you have not included the baht bus costs in that breakdown JT...rolleyes.gif

on average I am guessing 4-5k week without booze, and before someone jumps on the wagon and starts saying I shouldnt be eating extravagant farang food, its not, its just basic's.... food, cleaning stuff, bog roll etc from Tesco's

If I do go to Tops/Villa etc for my monthly "farang" goodies....7-10k a time

Seems that Imodium could save you quite a bit.

Jerry

ah a newbie in Thailand, as if your were an old hand, you would know, bog roll is used everywhere in Thai househouse except the bog...thumbsup.gif

oooooooooooops,,,,lol,,,

I maintain that 500 baht a day for 2.......or 250 baht a day for 1....is reasonably done anywhere.

That would include an occasional beer and 2 meals at home, one out.

Too harsh for me!

That is definitely bare bones. But sometimes I just eat oatmeal and bananas for breakfast and noodles and a 49 baht subway 6inch sandwich for a lunch. Other days might be a 250 baht buffet and a few beers. It is an average cost. Not a daily commitment. My wife does not drink...so that leaves some room. Anyways, 15000 baht a month for 2 is what we have been doing. We are not a daily fixture in a local pub....that would probably double the bill. Plenty of reasonably priced food out here.

Am I going mad here?

All the rich people, suddenly appeared on TVF spending thousands of Baht a week to eat out?

What am I doing wrong when I go out with my wife to a restaurant and I spend 250 to 300Baht and that includes 4 or 5 dishes?

Go to the steak rib house, eat as much as you like and pay 170Baht per person?

Are we living in the same Thailand?

Take away, Pork or chicken steak with all the trimmings 60Baht.

Go to Tesco or Big C for shopping about 1500Baht a week and that includes all food and cleaning materials and the bog paper.

I must be starving myself and my wife, can't explain it otherwise.

No wonder you're wanting to feel more gay. facepalm.gif You're malnourished!

No wonder he is never seen in the diet forum.....Two people at 250 Baht in a RESTAURANT. So 125 Baht per person.

What does that give you?

1 glass of soda, 1 rice, 1 spring roll?

• Like 1

Am I going mad here?

All the rich people, suddenly appeared on TVF spending thousands of Baht a week to eat out?

What am I doing wrong when I go out with my wife to a restaurant and I spend 250 to 300Baht and that includes 4 or 5 dishes?

Go to the steak rib house, eat as much as you like and pay 170Baht per person?

Are we living in the same Thailand?

Take away, Pork or chicken steak with all the trimmings 60Baht.

Go to Tesco or Big C for shopping about 1500Baht a week and that includes all food and cleaning materials and the bog paper.

I must be starving myself and my wife, can't explain it otherwise.

No wonder you're wanting to feel more gay. facepalm.gif You're malnourished!

No wonder he is never seen in the diet forum.....Two people at 250 Baht in a RESTAURANT. So 125 Baht per person.

What does that give you?

1 glass of soda, 1 rice, 1 spring roll?

Our costs do not include, of course, Badger Milk.

Seems like the typical spend pp is 600B per day (averaging the range of 200-1000) or around 4000 per week or 18000 per month. Sounds quite high per person for Thailand.

Really? That's high? Maybe in the boonies.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I spend 5000 baht a month at makro and 200 baht a day on food for my family of 4 persons and 4 dogs. Maybe once a week eat out somewhere more expensive like PizzaHut or MK.

Total 12,000 a month on food/drink AND toiletries/washing powder etc.

Edited by Neeranam

Seems like the typical spend pp is 600B per day (averaging the range of 200-1000) or around 4000 per week or 18000 per month. Sounds quite high per person for Thailand.

Really? That's high? Maybe in the boonies.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's about £360 per month per person which seems a bit high, no? For "regular eating" groceries, casual meals out, no blow-out meals.

Maybe about 150-200 baht a day, most days.

The vast majority of meals I eat are Thai, from small restaurants, markets, and food stalls, and are 20-40 baht each. Will usually just have a single dish meal for breakfast and lunch, so 30-40 baht (often just a piece of bread at home for breakfast though), and then maybe 60-100 baht for dinner as I'll get a few items.

I eat a bit of foreign food, pasta, burgers, burritos, etc, but I almost always cook it at home, so it's still really cheap.

I'm just not really that in to eating out, and I enjoy cooking. I prefer getting take away to eat at home, or cooking at home myself.