Weekly food spend?

TacoGuy

Just reading the "sticker shock" thread and there is some debate on eating frugally or not. Wondering what people typically budget for food per day or week?

I found it a bit annoying "in principle" to pay relatively high prices for Western food, even though it is less expensive than in Britain. For example, without drinks it's not hard to spend 500 on a casual dining lunch, whereas 200 would get something reasonable Thai or as others pointed out

even 50 could do it. So it ends up feeling very extravagant/wasteful eating Western in Thailand and I do so less than I would if the prices were closer.

One thing I know for sure is that when we go to the market (Makro) I spend on average 2000 baht for a large basket full of food. In the States it seems like only 1 bag of food costs the same (about 1/4 of what we buy at Makro).

That's our weekly food bill ....about 2000 baht not including booze.

Edited by beachproperty

Sorry I suppose I meant eating out...not groceries. Although obviously it's a bit of a mix.

Don't eat out much as my wife is a super cook but when we do it usually costs about 500 baht for the 2 of us. 10 years ago I remember taking the family and some neighbors to dinner in Bangkok 2 hour meal for 10 people, constant food......cost 1800 Baht!

on average I am guessing 4-5k week without booze, and before someone jumps on the wagon and starts saying I shouldnt be eating extravagant farang food, its not, its just basic's.... food, cleaning stuff, bog roll etc from Tesco's

If I do go to Tops/Villa etc for my monthly "farang" goodies....7-10k a time

on average I am guessing 4-5k week without booze, and before someone jumps on the wagon and starts saying I shouldnt be eating extravagant farang food, its not, its just basic's.... food, cleaning stuff, bog roll etc from Tesco's

Seems that Imodium could save you quite a bit.

Jerry

Seems that Imodium could save you quite a bit.

Jerry

ah a newbie in Thailand, as if your were an old hand, you would know, bog roll is used everywhere in Thai househouse except the bog...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I don't have a budget. I eat what I want. Fresh scallops 44 baht per kilo, live lobster a bit more. Fresh bread at Yamazaki 30 to 60 baht. I don't eat fried foods or sausage or beef because of doctor instructions. Pork tenderloins and skinless boneless chicken fillets are cheap. Salmon is a bit pricey but I only eat it two or three times a week. Fresh fruits in season are really cheap so shop according to time of year. I eat hand pounded brown rice and have 5 different kinds available. There is a hydroponic vegetable store close by so my vegetables are all organic and fresh daily 40 baht is a large salad for two and I make the croûtons from old bread.

post-187908-0-88925200-1409579686_thumb.

• Like 1

Am I going mad here?

All the rich people, suddenly appeared on TVF spending thousands of Baht a week to eat out?

What am I doing wrong when I go out with my wife to a restaurant and I spend 250 to 300Baht and that includes 4 or 5 dishes?

Go to the steak rib house, eat as much as you like and pay 170Baht per person?

Are we living in the same Thailand?

Take away, Pork or chicken steak with all the trimmings 60Baht.

Go to Tesco or Big C for shopping about 1500Baht a week and that includes all food and cleaning materials and the bog paper.

I must be starving myself and my wife, can't explain it otherwise.

• Like 2

Am I going mad here?

All the rich people, suddenly appeared on TVF spending thousands of Baht a week to eat out?

What am I doing wrong when I go out with my wife to a restaurant and I spend 250 to 300Baht and that includes 4 or 5 dishes?

Go to Tesco or Big C for shopping about 1500Baht a week and that includes all food and cleaning materials and the bog paper.

No wonder you're wanting to feel more gay. facepalm.gif You're malnourished!

• Like 2

dont know per day but married wife 2 kids and we always buy quality dont eat out much at all probably 40,000 ++ i know its a lot but as i said we dont skimp on good food and wherever you are in world quality good food costs especially if you like beef and some forang foods

You might go off on a jealous rage, but in Chiang Mai we are so spoiled that we refuse to spend more than 200-300 for full blown lunch buffets. That is our big deal...a few times a week. We have some discount cards and have a choice of 4 in our price range. . One is a bit more. These buffets are huge, and I really try to eat just a normal serving. Some grill steaks, chicken, pork, some cook custom pasta, there are always Japanese, Chinese and the traditional Thai foods there. Plenty of fruits and salads. Western Soups and bread, specialties and tons of cakes and ice cream/crepes etc..Coffee and tea included..and plenty of cold water. Seating is comfortable, and if you go on a weekday, no crowds. Even Sizzler has a special, with salad bar, for 180 baht. There are two breakfast places very close to our house with a huge plate of sausages, bacon, 2 eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, toast, coffee and juice for 99 baht. Again, not healthy choices, but available for a treat. Sometimes we have the soup cooked at the table at a small place located at MeeChok Market...that is only 250 for two people. We mostly cook at home...a mix of thai and western food from the market and at rimpings. Average cost per meal at home is about 50 baht a meal...or 2100 baht per week for 2. Monthly, we spend about 15000 on groceries and eating out...total. (500 baht a day for two) Beer is included in all that. (I only have an occasional beer)...we hit a good bar twice a month for 1000 each time.

Bottom line...500 per day for Restaurant/Groceries and Beer based on 15000 baht per month for two people. That is close to 3500 per week for twol We found the best plan is to keep low stock in the house. We just add to it in the morning, or optionally, opt out for the buffet or breakfast and eat small the rest of the day. On the days we do not go out, we put the money in a jar for a pub night. It does add up.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I get by on about 200 baht a day for food. I try to keep it to no more than 40 baht per dish. I rarely go for farang food and sometimes cook my own Thai food which saves even more. I often eat on just 100 baht a day by eating at the markets. 6k for food, 3k for rent, 5k for Chang beer and Thai whiskey. facepalm.gif

I get by on about 200 baht a day for food. I try to keep it to no more than 40 baht per dish. I rarely go for farang food and sometimes cook my own Thai food which saves even more. I often eat on just 100 baht a day by eating at the markets. 6k for food, 3k for rent, 5k for Chang beer and Thai whiskey. facepalm.gif

Excellent...for a single man. 5000 a month can buy quite a lot of Chang at the Market...and still have a few at a pub. I do not stock at home. (too easy to get kick started, and once I had two, I would probably lose my discipline and run out to a pub for more)

Am I going mad here?

KK mate, thats why. Much cheaper than other cities for dining out.

In Chum phae theres an all you can eat for 150 baht. I dont eat there cause it looks like a salmonella here we come, but I suppose its quite cheap and always full.

I only holiday, but in the village maybe 1000 a week on just food from the local market.

Currently out of Thailand but most days it would be something like this....

No breakfast as I don't feel hungry when I wake up for a few hours.

Early lunch at coffee shop (cheese and ham toasted sandwich / club sandwich) for 50-90B depending on which I go for plus drink which is 45-60B depending on coke or coffee.

If not going 'out out' for dinner and just grabbing something for myself locally it'll be a 45-60B meal at my local restaurant (meat, rice, fried egg)

It's a simple place but the owner and chef is an award winning chef and worked for some of the big / fancy hotels and does some of the best pad ka pow, rad na, yellow curry and other dishes I've eaten in Thailand.

Might have some snacks (nuts, crisps, chocolate) throughout the day and maybe a hot snack later (grilled chicken, moo ping etc).

Total for the day 200-300B.

If I go out for dinner to somewhere nicer or have a date with meal and a few drinks it can easily be another 500-1500. I might do that 2-4 times a week. Depends.

When just taking it easy the food budget is stupidly low but if wanting to go out a lot it increases a fair bit.

Edited by TheSpade

Eat at home mostly but going out for Fuji or MK normally costs 700 baht or more for two people. Had a lunch buffet the other day 499 each so cost me 1000 baht for the two of us.

I would take a guess and say that I spend 20k a month on food. That is eating out and cooking at home for two people.

Am I going mad here?

Where is the steak rib house?

We have nearby some "Korean BBQ" that is about 150 baht, eat all you can, but frankly quality is not good and with drinks you also spend 400/ person.

Sometimes we go to Oishi buffet and food is OK, but that is now 500/ person.

Have been keeping track of expenses for 2 months. Results: Food (groceries, including beer from super market) = 6000 TB per month. Eat out (seldom beer) = 4000 TB per month. Single old guy. Very pertinent to discussion, on monthly basis, Golf = 15000 TB. I am just within budget. IF USA Soc Sec could perk me up US$200 more per month, i would thrive here.

I don't budget for food, just spend what is necessary. But my tastes are simple and not extravagant - so I spend about 1,000 baht a week for a good variety that is healthy as well as filling (don't drink, so no booze bill). Breakfast is muesli with a bit of fruit or a toastie (tuna/salmon/mackeral mixed with fresh garlic, minced onion, cottage cheese, ground nuts, alfalfa) or a large green smoothie. Early arvo - fried sausage, onion, garlic, tomato, egg with fresh herbs, or a super salad sandwich. Evening , whatever takes my fancy - often a Thai dish or a super salad sanger. My big weakness is NZ biscuits - I'll sell my soul for a packet of chocolate macaroons.

If you need to eat out every meal, it can be done for 40-60 baht per person if you just want good Thai food( the kind Thai people eat) and are not trying to impress anyone or yourself.

My family of three almost always cooks and eats at home.

We have a good mix of Thai and farang food and we budget 1500 baht per week for food and small household needs like soap, paper towels, toothpaste and the like. ( nothing like beer or tobacco included!)

I think we eat well on 1500 baht per week. Nothing too fancy, but not bad at all.

Note 1500 baht comes to about $42 usd per weeek on groceries..

When we left California a few years ago, we were spending about $250 usd per week on groceries!

• Like 1

We don't eat out all the time....if out and about some of the TL/C food courts have dishes that we like - usually 2 - 100B cards and change received....favorite places to eat about 500B but the wife orders 4-5 (pork steak, spaghetti, oysters, garlic bread & garlic mashed potatoes last time out) dishes which we peck away at.....if I have a pizza craving 800-1500B but that's bringing a lot home......I am in CM and have wanted to explore the buffets for a long time but simply do not know where is good......there are places we go because of certain dishes that we like and places we go because of large menus/specialty dishes (fish for her).....we eat out about 5-7 times a week - less than some/more than others but she really likes to cook and is proud of it & never turns out a bad dish.....seems quite pleased to research different foods/dishes on line.....

When we do go to TL/C/Makro it's usually 1400-2000B & we buy our meat away from those 3 places Rimping ....

Fresh scallops 44 baht per kilo, live lobster a bit more.

That's a typo, right?

A fisherman comes to work and that 's what he sells them for. Live lobster are 200 baht each. Slipper lobster less.

You ever hear that trick about punching circular disks out of skate wing meat and selling them as scallops?

I'm just saying that price sounds suspiciously low; never seen seafood sell that cheaply, much less scallops. That works out to $.56 cents a pound. Yikes! whistling.gif

Edited by Gecko123