How good are Thai Motorcycle Helmets?

Your scooter may only be worth 40-50k and spending another 15-20k on a helmet my seem unreasonable but how much is your head worth?

That's a decision that you are free to make.

The most expensive helmet I saw in a shop today was about $700.

My head is worth a LOT more than that.

What should I do???

Buy a couple of them? ;-) jk..

• Like 1

Your scooter may only be worth 40-50k and spending another 15-20k on a helmet my seem unreasonable but how much is your head worth?

That's a decision that you are free to make.

The most expensive helmet I saw in a shop today was about $700.

My head is worth a LOT more than that.

What should I do???

Get an Arai Corsair V Full Carbon Matrix $3995.00

post-202194-0-04005900-1409675205_thumb.

• Like 1

I have had Shoei, Bell, and an all carbon HJC for my mid priced helmets in the past but this year decided to buy the Bilmola Defender since it has an ECE sticker and additional sun visor.

It was only 2600 baht and I find nothing lacking.

I also bought a Real Bravo for my gf for about the same cost and find the sun visor and main visor release not as refined as the more expensive brands but it is still ECE certified.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

Since your supposed to replace a helmet every few years I decided to go with the cheaper but still safe route.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/1ks2xq/do_i_really_need_to_replace_my_helmet_after_5/

This is the best value for your bucks, not Shoei or Arai... smile.png

LS2 CR1 Diablo Carbon, at 7500 baht you could change it 3 times for the same price as an X12...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice helmet but only comes in two shell sizes. Shoei, AGV, Arai etc. have five shell sizes for a proper fit.

Edited by ATF

This is the best value for your bucks, not Shoei or Arai... smile.png

LS2 CR1 Diablo Carbon, at 7500 baht you could change it 3 times for the same price as an X12...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice helmet but only comes in two shell sizes. Shoei, AGV, Arai etc. have five shell sizes for a proper fit.

When I was looking at the Shoei GT-Air the specs said 3 shell sizes. Not sure about all their other models.

Taking a chance on a cheapo helmet is just not something I'm ever going to risk. I've seen the outcome of various head injuries in my lifetime, and sustained several (non-permanent) ones myself, and it's scary as hell.

I use an Italy-made AGV, but I'm going to buy a new one soon. Somewhere like Asia I'm just not going to take the chance - the risk of an accident is probably higher, and the first response medical care (be it professional or otherwise) I wouldn't trust t, if and when it arrives, to deal with any head injury correctly.

When I was looking at the Shoei GT-Air the specs said 3 shell sizes. Not sure about all their other models.

Yes it's probably limited to the top models but two shell sizes are not enough for high speed riding.

Related question: when you leave your bike somewhere, do you always carry the helmet with you or just leave it on the bike? I usually just leave it there coz i don't want to carry it. The expensive one has never got stolen. The cheap one got stolen once.

I don't know how you guys handle the heat with the full face. I always wore a Snell full face in the states but I lived in a cold area.

As for the Index. They would be DOT rating. I took a hammer and hit it full force and it cracked but it didn't split. I have been in some small crashes going less than 45km and they worked fine. If you are traveling highways at 100+km then go for the best you can get.

Price isn't always a factor in the quality. There are loads of good helmets for less than 100 USD in the states. So goes to figure manufacturing would be cheaper here.

Related question: when you leave your bike somewhere, do you always carry the helmet with you or just leave it on the bike? I usually just leave it there coz i don't want to carry it. The expensive one has never got stolen. The cheap one got stolen once.

hang it to my arm and carry it along with me everywhere.

but i leave my gf's hjc which is not cheap and it is not stolen for two years!

I actually went looking at helmets today and I did not see much advantage for the 4900-6000 baht HJC or Shark helmets over the 2500 baht REALs. The REALs had foam extending through to the full face part of the helmet where as the budget priced HJC and Sharks did not. (The cheap ones not the expensive ones)

The REALs however had additional sections of foam in the full face area, whereas more expensive helmets have one solid piece of foam throughout the entire shell through to the full face section.

Dont think the cheaper lines of HJC or Shark are much better than REAL.

• Like 1

Yes it's probably limited to the top models but two shell sizes are not enough for high speed riding.

I dont think anyone riding a high powered bike thinks about wearing a 2000 Baht helmet if he can afford a better one. But you are right, some of the cheap helmets only come in ONE shell size. Something to remember when buying a cheapo helmet.

I actually went looking at helmets today and I did not see much advantage for the 4900-6000 baht HJC or Shark helmets over the 2500 baht REALs. The REALs had foam extending through to the full face part of the helmet where as the budget priced HJC and Sharks did not. (The cheap ones not the expensive ones)

The REALs however had additional sections of foam in the full face area, whereas more expensive helmets have one solid piece of foam throughout the entire shell through to the full face section.

I just had a look at Real website. I see helmets do mention ECE but not the specific regulation, 22.05 (unlike Shoei and Shark for example which clearly show this). Then I went to their About page, where they mention DOT, but not a word about ECE R 22.05. Is this an oversight? Is it a minor thing? I don't know. Are they actually certified, or just built to those standards? Do you know for sure?

They don't show their test results, are they marginal like the blue line or well exceed requirements like the green line. Which one would you want on your head if you come down?

At the end of the day, you can choose whether you wish to go into the shop and flip them around in your hands looking at the foam to decide which is safer. Or you can go with a recognized brand with decades of proven experience from the track which is also held accountable in their country by strict laws and regulations. To each his own.

post-43886-0-84214600-1409749472_thumb.j

I just had a look at Real website. I see helmets do mention ECE but not the specific regulation, 22.05 (unlike Shoei and Shark for example which clearly show this). Then I went to their About page, where they mention DOT, but not a word about ECE R 22.05. Is this an oversight? Is it a minor thing? I don't know. Are they actually certified, or just built to those standards? Do you know for sure?

They don't show their test results, are they marginal like the blue line or well exceed requirements like the green line. Which one would you want on your head if you come down?

At the end of the day, you can choose whether you wish to go into the shop and flip them around in your hands looking at the foam to decide which is safer. Or you can go with a recognized brand with decades of proven experience from the track which is also held accountable in their country by strict laws and regulations. To each his own.

By looking at the thin fullface plastic of the lower model (4900-6000 baht) HJC and Shark helmets with lack of foam in the full face area. I would choose the REAL instead.

REAL doesnt make a high end helmet so your question is moot. Remember, I am only comparing the lower model lines of HJC and Shark. My helmet of choice is OGK but availability here is nill.

There is a video on youtube of the INDEX test facility (I dont like INDEX)

By looking at the thin fullface plastic of the lower model (4900-6000 baht) HJC and Shark helmets with lack of foam in the full face area. I would choose the REAL instead.

REAL doesnt make a high end helmet so your question is moot. Remember, I am only comparing the lower model lines of HJC and Shark. My helmet of choice is OGK but availability here is nill.

What is foam in the full face area? Do you mean padding in the chin area?

Which models of HJC and Shark were they?

So not bothered with Real being ECE certified or not ?

Edited by rambling

My REAL G-Force G12 has a sticker on the back saying "ECE R 22-05". And there is also a sticker sewed to the strap (see pictures). Same on my Bilmola Eclipse. Shouldnt be very difficult to find out if this is fake nowadays. And then these companies would be finished. They would risk a lot imo. But who knows for sure? I dont :)

post-129800-0-51473000-1409752460_thumb.

post-129800-0-19972000-1409752448_thumb.

What is foam in the full face area? Do you mean padding in the chin area?

Which models of HJC and Shark were they?

So not bothered with Real being ECE certified or not ?

You know the area that distinguishes a full face from a half face? That area, theres no foam in the lower model HJC or Sharks, and every single one that I tried on would hit my mouth flat on when I pushed back on it. With my REAL G-Force only my lips touch the front of the helmet, my mouth doesnt smash into it, and thats only because the liner is worn after two years. (can get replacements for 300 baht)

Like Im going to remember the model numbers when Im window shopping. Go look for yourself.

Like I said go to youtube and search for INDEX helmet testing facility, if INDEX has a facility Im sure REAL does to.

My REAL G-Force G12 has a sticker on the back saying "ECE R 22-05". And there is also a sticker sewed to the strap (see pictures). Same on my Bilmola Eclipse. Shouldnt be very difficult to find out if this is fake nowadays. And then these companies would be finished. They would risk a lot imo. But who knows for sure? I dont smile.png

attachicon.gifECE-sticker02.jpg

attachicon.gifECE-sticker.jpg

And my 10K Shark only comes with the TIS sticker! So there you go that ECE sticker is fake for sure ;-) I wonder what the homologation process is..
OK, so found out a bit more on this. The E9 represents certification in Spain, maybe REAL is getting their certification there? The letter 'P' stands for "Protective" (as in has protective lower face cover). The rest of the numbers following the letter P don't seem to conform to the numbering convention shown in the homologation process PDF attached. I'm not sure why that is.
In the US I don't think you'd see an ECE sticker on locally distributed helmets even if the helmet is ECE compliant and receives certification in Europe.

ece2205.pdf

My REAL G-Force G12 has a sticker on the back saying "ECE R 22-05". And there is also a sticker sewed to the strap (see pictures). Same on my Bilmola Eclipse. Shouldnt be very difficult to find out if this is fake nowadays. And then these companies would be finished. They would risk a lot imo. But who knows for sure? I dont smile.png

And my 10K Shark only comes with the TIS sticker! So there you go that ECE sticker is fake for sure ;-) I wonder what the homologation process is..

OK, so found out a bit more on this. The E9 represents certification in Spain, maybe REAL is getting their certification there? The letter 'P' stands for "Protective" (as in has protective lower face cover). The rest of the numbers following the letter P don't seem to conform to the numbering convention shown in the homologation process PDF attached. I'm not sure why that is.

In the US I don't think you'd see an ECE sticker on locally distributed helmets even if the helmet is ECE compliant and receives certification in Europe.

Please dont start confusing members. If you have real evidence of something wrong then OK, say it.

Seems there is no "numbering convention" for whats before and behind the "P". Where did you see something about a numbering convention?

Eg. Vemar doesnt follow your "numbering convention" too:

omolog.gif

Edited by wantan

I must admit I'm not very experienced but none of the helmets I tried or seen had foam padding in front of the mouth, including the top models of Shoei RF-1200, X-12 etc. maybe they should all go learn from Real ;-)

If the front hit your face then you either had the wrong size on or it's completely not your head shape (or both).

I've just watched the Index youtube vids, man that was like watching a show from the 80's. Check out below a proper helmet brand facility and their testing. (note the testing methodology,tools, measuring equipment, different headforms etc.)

If anything, these vids show Index to be built using really old and subpar standards. Personally I wouldn't wear them even if I was paid, well stationary maybe :-)

Ride safe and enjoy your bike and gear.

Please dont start confusing members. If you have real evidence of something wrong then OK, say it.

Seems there is no "numbering convention" for whats before and behind the "P". Where did you see something about a numbering convention?

In the PDF attached to that post, page 2, right hand side, white on blue, headlined APPROVAL NUMBERS AND SYMBOLS.

Most important, within the same range, is the fit. Does this helmet fit you well or not?

Some have a "Shoei face" others have a "Arai face". I've good experience with Arai (Quantum and Astro).

I always spend solid money on my helmet (lightweight, comfort, safety, etc.) because you can afford to break a leg / arm but not your head.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: for the next one, I'll take advantage of a business trip to bring it back from Europe smile.png

@rambling:

So Vemar helmet ECE rating is fake too? Please stop this shit if you are not 100% sure about what you say. Thanks

No, I did not say that. Maybe I should have refrained from the "fake" joke posted earlier as it may not be understood as such despite the smiley. I'm not in any position to say for certain, I'm just comparing those stickers you posted to that PDF document as can anyone else reading this. I believe this is a legitimate due diligence to check their certification if in doubt.

Thank you for posting that of Vemar as well, it helped since it looks like the numbering, which should start with 05 (for the amendment) here clearly came before the P rather than after (As described in the doc) and that's why it didn't match. As for what is the correct order, I can't tell, maybe something to look into or maybe not. I'm not a customer of either of these brands.

but how can you compare helmets just by looking and touching? there are other factors too naturally.

no one can i am sure.

that is why there are some certain standards and manufacturers do their own tests and have their own r&g so clearly shoei or hjc has higher budget for these.

Edited by ll2