recomended android antivirus

steveb6

I have used both AVAST and LOOKOUT on various devices and am satisfied with both. There is a lot of discussion in Android forums about whether Antivirus apps are necessary...I go with the "Better safe than sorry" theory.

I also really like "CLEAN MASTER" for removing junk files and releasing memory.

I have lookout installed. The function locate device and let the device scream only works if the mobile has an internet connection. The virus scan function has not much use as long you only install software from the official playstore. There is more danger in getting redirected to malicious websites that want to run scripts on your device. Only the paid versions offer some protection against this.

I have lookout installed. The function locate device and let the device scream only works if the mobile has an internet connection. The virus scan function has not much use as long you only install software from the official playstore. There is more danger in getting redirected to malicious websites that want to run scripts on your device. Only the paid versions offer some protection against this.

I don't know, Google's recording in keeping malware out of the Play Store is hardly stellar.

biggrin.png

If you go to your google play store account on a PC, you can remote shut down, erase, locate your phone if lost or stolen. I see antivirus on my android phone as a waste of resources. I prefer to factory reset every couple of months.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you go to your google play store account on a PC, you can remote shut down, erase, locate your phone if lost or stolen. I see antivirus on my android phone as a waste of resources. I prefer to factory reset every couple of months.

eeeya , what is the name of the apps because i don't know to look for in google play

Edited by mindo

From a PC. Use Google to search "google play". Log in with your google account. Go to devices ..and you should see your phone or tablet or what ever android devices listed. Select a device and you can see various actions you can perform remotely from your PC to your device

From a PC. Use Google to search "google play". Log in with your google account. Go to devices ..and you should see your phone or tablet or what ever android devices listed. Select a device and you can see various actions you can perform remotely from your PC to your device

Direct link to Google Android Device Manager. It located my tablet and phone spot on. I have CM Security for security. I also have Lookout installed but often get an event message saying it is using too much CPU power and temperature warning. That is on my LG G2 phone.

As Tywais has already posted, eeeya is talking about play.google.com/store/apps and using the settings icon (gear) to enter Android Device Manager

Per Wikipedia: In August 2013, Google released Android Device Manager (ADM), a component that allows users to remotely track, locate, and wipe their Android device through a web interface.[98][164] In December 2013, Google released ADM as an Android application on the Google Play store, where it is available to devices running Android version 2.2 and higher.[165][166]

Android_Device_Manager.jpg

Android Device Manager requires either an active WiFi or Mobile Data connection on the target device for it to function.

Don't know why they didn't implement SMS control and report functionality as some earlier security apps did.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

I have Lookout installed on both my phone and tablet, but also Norton on my phone and Kaspersky on my tablet. Maybe 2 anti virus programs are an over kill but rather safe than sorry. If you want a cleanup app look at All-in-one toolbox, after I installed it my devices have increased speed and extra space.

Only one person actually answered the question "Is it necessary to have antivirus". The answer is yes.

AVG antivirus is available free for Android and can be downloaded from the online App store.

I use avg as well although I hear good things about avast as well.

I have Lookout installed on both my phone and tablet, but also Norton on my phone and Kaspersky on my tablet. Maybe 2 anti virus programs are an over kill but rather safe than sorry. If you want a cleanup app look at All-in-one toolbox, after I installed it my devices have increased speed and extra space.

I have read in the past that having 2 A/V programs installed at the same time is actually counterproductive. Any informed comments on this?

I have read in the past that having 2 A/V programs installed at the same time is actually counterproductive. Any informed comments on this?

There is nothing wrong in the concept of running two anti-virus programs, definitely for PC's, however for phones, the battery drain is quite telling, an allround program such "Comodo" will show where the power is the greatest, hope this helps.

I have Lookout installed, but it has not found any threats on my pad for 2 years, so I am a bit reluctant on recommending it.

However, there is a new cloud based security suite available - FreeDome by F-Secure which not only strips malware but also trackers from your net traffic + gives you a VPN to choose your geolocation also (so you can watch your home country TV, for example).

This is not free (~27 EUR per year), but you get 7 days free to start, and at least still recently using code 'david' gives you 6 months more to try it out.

1 click setup and works like a charm! ---> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.freedome.vpn.security.privacy.android&hl=en

There is nothing wrong in the concept of running two anti-virus programs, definitely for PC's, however for phones, the battery drain is quite telling, an allround program such "Comodo" will show where the power is the greatest, hope this helps.

The power drain depends on your settings and your activities. These anti virus programs draws most power them you downloads, when it updates apps and when it does predetermined scheduled scans. I don't download many web pages and apps and do daily scheduled scans. Thats why I mentioned the all in one toolbox app, using this app cuts out many apps running in the background thats eating power and slowing down the phone. What I found was that having 2 anti virus programs but using the all in one app strecthed my battery life more than having only one anti virus and not using a cleanup app. Cleanup your phone regulary and you can run 2 anti virus programs without slowing down or decreasing battery life substantialy.

I use Avast...works fine for me & has heaps of features....some I use, some I don't. And it's free.

Also trying out Avast Internet security on a notebook now. I've been using Bitdefender for years

however Avast has a feature I like...a sandbox...we'll know how it works during the trial period which

is full featured BTW.

NB...edit to cure some fatdigititis keyboardalis effects

Edited by sunshine51

Most Anti-virus programs are important, but I also have an anti-malware program on my phone and tablet. I bought I new phone downloaded Malwarebytes for free. Scanned all factory installed aps on phone and found 2 apps with malware attached. I now scan all downloads and new aps before opening.

Anyone running anti virus on your android phone, have you ever had an alert for virus or any malware?

Several, but usually for adware. A lot of the "free TV" apps in the Play Store will trigger this alert. Not to mention they grab permissions to look at your stuff as if they're the KGB.

Although it does identify certain hacking tools as "malware", which in the wrong hands I suppose is correct.

wink.png

im just not taken on the antivirus for android thing, In my opinion its stemming from the whole windows virus fear.

So when you download these antivirus apps for you phone your giving your data to these companies instead! but they are antivirus companies so they must be good! SO they will spread fear and generate reports to scare the public into signing up for their vested interests.

but other than that, all your getting is something which is burning up your battery and slowing down your phone and an antivirus company compiling reports on its users data for who knows what.

Not for me. Been using android since cupcake version 1.5 and never had a problem.