Intelligence Reveals Plot To Assassinate Thaksin

Jai Dee

Intelligence reveals plot to assassinate Thaksin

Government intelligence reports have pointed to an assassination plot targeting caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and involving alleged plans to hire foreign mercenaries for the job.

Quoting unnamed security sources, a news bulletin on the widely-visited Manager Online website said the intelligence reports were presented and discussed at a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) late last month, chaired by caretaker Deputy PM and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit.

Without naming anyone, the reports alleged that “opponents” of the caretaker premier had pooled their money to hire the foreign hitmen.

The NSC meeting reportedly instructed the National Security Center, the country’s top security body, and the security machineries of the Defense and Interior ministries as well as the National Police Office to tighten the security cordon around Thaksin.

The same bulletin mentioned observations by newsmen assigned to cover Thaksin about unusually tight security around the premier of late, including the deployment of Royal Thai Air Force security personnel in addition to the normal police security cover.

Source: ThaiDay - 12 July 2006

Government intelligence reports have pointed to an assassination plot targeting caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and involving alleged plans to hire foreign mercenaries for the job.

It just might be an answer to the deadlock, but no sane person can condone assassination, Thailand has enough dead bodies hanging around already, no need to add to the toll.

It just might be an answer to the deadlock, but no sane person can condone assassination, Thailand has enough dead bodies hanging around already, no need to add to the toll.

Does that mean anti-terrorist legislation and curtailing of civil liberties as in the "Freee World"?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Total bull. Pity orientated spin.

Indeed, this story reads like a worked angle: put Mr. Big over as a baby-face, generate some heel heat for these unnamed "opponents" of Thailand's true saviour. The only surprise about this is that it took them so long to cook up the story.

Previously people have posted that Toxin should be careful because he could get himself killed......now that a supposed plot is claimed people *know* that it is fake....I want to be clear...I'm not saying it is the same people.

Edited by chownah

PM not concerned about the assassination rumor

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he is not at all troubled from the rumour on the assassination plot against him. However, he said he does not underestimate the matter.

According to Government Spokesperson Surapong Suebwonglee, the Prime Minister said he is not worried of the possible dangerous circumstances. As for the security intensification for the premier, Md. Surapong said it is considered to be a normal procedure.

The Government Spokesperson also talked about the veracity of such report, saying that it is an issue for people to be more cautious, but they should not be too preoccupied about it.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 July 2006

Gen. Sonthi considers assassination attempt rumor is groundless

Army Commander-in-Chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin believes that the news on the assassination plot targeting Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is only a rumour. He said security officials already have strict safety measures, and the occurrence of such incident is very unlikely.

Gen. Sonthi also made a comment about the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s (PAD) demonstration on July 14t, saying that the Royal Thai Army is ready to handle the situation like always. However, he believes that the demonstration will not escalate to violence as the PAD members are loyal to the kingdom and His Majesty the King.

The Army Commander-in-Chief said the army is using media to remind the general public to love the country. He said political conflicts can occur but national conflicts must not take place.

If I remember correctly when he first came to power and the court thing was goin on, he claimed a plot to blow up the plane he was on. It turned out to be an fault in an aircon unit.

On a more serious note. If the people against him are so utterly powerful I doubt they would hire some white or black faced foreign mercenary who would have trouble getting near the man, but would more likely be able to get someone close enough in his team to do the deed.

Army Commander-in-Chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin believes that the news on the assassination plot targeting Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is only a rumour. He said security officials already have strict safety measures, and the occurrence of such incident is very unlikely.

Gen. Sonthi also made a comment about the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s (PAD) demonstration on July 14t, saying that the Royal Thai Army is ready to handle the situation like always. However, he believes that the demonstration will not escalate to violence as the PAD members are loyal to the kingdom and His Majesty the King.

The Army Commander-in-Chief said the army is using media to remind the general public to love the country. He said political conflicts can occur but national conflicts must not take place.

Sounds reassuring. He has done this a lot since Feb. It is always good to see a head of the armed forces defend peoples rights to demonstrate.

We can live in hope.

" Bangkok you say? Caretaker Prime minister. Big ego, big mouth about 1.7m tall, heavy security.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be in touch" C.

Edited by ratcatcher

On a more serious note. If the people against him are so utterly powerful I doubt they would hire some white or black faced foreign mercenary who would have trouble getting near the man, but would more likely be able to get someone close enough in his team to do the deed.

Indeed, could probably get one the infamous motorcycle drive-by guys to do it for some Som-Tum.

Previously people have posted that Toxin should be careful because he could get himself killed......now that a supposed plot is claimed people *know* that it is fake....I want to be clear...I'm not saying it is the same people.

I don't have any problem at all believing that some crazed nutter might come after Mr Big for offences, perceived or otherwise. I have a problem buying into a pool of "opponents" pooling their baht and calling the Boston mob to have Steve "The Rifleman" Flemmi sent over to Bangkok to perform a job. Or calling up the A-Team for that matter. :o

In a country such as Thailand assisanation of he political leader is an ever present possibility.

The probability of that happening is not that high though. Still you cant discount anything. Remember, that someone shot the Pope a while back.

In a country such as Thailand assisanation of he political leader is an ever present possibility.

The probability of that happening is not that high though. Still you cant discount anything. Remember, that someone shot the Pope a while back.

Hi

Assasination attempts fiction? try telling that to various Kennedys, Reagan, Olof Palme etc

TBWG :o

I'm surprised on this general comments, some time ago I though he just neutral power, however every time I see new comments from him, I tend to believe that he is one of the hidden anti-Taksin

opponents. AND I hope I'm right on that one, cause armed forces is a great source of influence in Thai society.

Isn't "assasin" on the protected profession list - would they get a Visa without BOI approval ?

I mean it would be a crime to take the bread out of the mouths of Thais that could easily fulfil the role.

:o:D

Total bull. Pity orientated spin.

That may or may not be.

However, I think that the assassination of Thaksin is a genuine scenario that he and the NSC should take seriously and, from the various news snippets posted in this thread, it seems that they are, although Thaksin has stated that he is not worried. Thaksin is a larger-than-life person, who is either loved or detested by the Thai people. It is those who detest him, and there are millions, who would have no qualms in eliminating him from the political scene, or any other scene for that matter. There are political, academic and industrial opponents to him and his regime and they will have to do nothing other than give a nod. To add to this, who knows just what is brewing in Thailand's south?

Edited by Artisan

Just another diversary ( diversion ) tactic, add it to the growing list..........................................

Do the honourable thing Toxin in the interest of unity and the democratic society you reckon you are fighting for.

You never know it may backfire on him and give someone an idea to actually attempt it..............

Be careful what you set yourself up for Mr Toxin

marshbags

Hopefully Gen. Sonthi is right , and there is not a serious threat.

Thaksin has enough political nous to try a diversionary tactic if he senses

political trouble.

This having been said , no high profile figure in the world is immune to the lone psycho

(John Lennon eg) but these people rarely raise waves in advance.

There are many who say Thaksin is bad for Thailand.

An assassinated Thaksin would be very bad for Thailand.

I don't remember any political leaders assassinated by his rivals in Thailand's modern history. There were coups, but no assassinations to my knowledge, and even after coups the deposed leaders were not summarily executed.

The bigger toes Thaksin steps on, the less likely he'll be assassinated. He'll probably won't survive the ongoing court battles. And what's use of dead Thaksin anyway? Why kill him?

And what's use of dead Thaksin anyway? Why kill him?

He has upset the wrong kind of people.

Unlike coups before, respect for the monarch was maintained (look at the accuasations flying around about Thaksin's comments that Sonti and others state is aimed at HRH). Coups before were purley politic, they wanted power or power was denied them etc. It seems more about money now. Shin Corp (and the law changes that allowed the tax free sale) put a lot of noses out of shape as did the ousting of powerful politicos in favour of family members and friends (always happened to some extent of course).

The drug crackdown must have earnt him a lot of powerful enermies both underworld and politicos who were on the take.

The South has earned him few friends in Yala etc either.

There must be many reasons why someone would want to assasinate him simply as a political point - no matter how big you are, we still hold your life in our hands, sort of crap.

He has done a lot of good along with a lot of mistakes (don't compare him to Blair though, I'm sure Blair has been worse on the failure front!). He has made some extra money along the way (not that he needed to). May be reason for change, but not for assasination. The rich and powerful can not topple him easily as he has the poor support and they outnumber the rich wholesale. They are resorting to legal blustering and now accusations of speaking ill of the monarch etc.

Just another diversary ( diversion ) tactic, add it to the growing list..........................................

Do the honourable thing Toxin in the interest of unity and the democratic society you reckon you are fighting for.

You never know it may backfire on him and give someone an idea to actually attempt it..............

Be careful what you set yourself up for Mr Toxin

marshbags

DayJackal1.jpg