Orchid fertiliser and sick orchids?

This is a 2 question posting. I/m sorry if this is a repeat, but I did search as best I could and found no answers for these questions. I did find some good tips (like growing orchids on a piece of wood instead of coconut), but no tips for what is a good fertiliser for orchids.

1st question. I have some very healthy orchids that have not flowered last year. They don't get much sunshine, they live in light shadow with about 20 minutes of sun a day. Maybe it is the food. What should I give them? How can I use it. Where can I buy it.

2nd question. Best way to recover sick orchids.I hope you can help me - some of my orchids look terrible. Brown roots and withered leaves and some leaves with spots like bacterial or viral disease. A few weeks ago I removed them from coconut that seems to be holding too much water, and put them in open hanging pots with pieces of charcoal and pieces of tree bark. But they don't seem to be much better. They live in mostly shade, and I have to water them by hand as they are covered by a roof.

Or maybe there is an English speaking site for orchid growers in Thailand?

Thanks for helping!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can find orchid liquid fertiliser about everywhere in Thailand Small bottle with a picture of orchids on the front (for people that can't read Thai, like me). I used to put a bottle top full in a 4.5 litre watering can every week and the results were very good, always had about 7 - 9 out of 25plants blooming. I also gave them water everyday outside of the rainy season. I unfortunately bought some expensive Osmocote fertiliser which will last 6 months (until November in my case) and the results are disappointing, nice green leaves but fewer flowers. I will revert to weekly dosing soon.

I have found that orchids that I bought in a coconut shell mostly were planted in coir (finely ground coconut husk or something else not suitable). I pot them up in coconut shells using coconut husks. Coconut husk has the curious property of retaining moisture but permitting adequate drainage.

If you have yellow leaves, they are thirsty or hungry or maybe both.

When I worked in a botanical garden in Switzerland we would spray the epiphyte orchids three time a day to keep them in a humid environment. You can't really do that here of course but it's worth bearing in mind that most are rain forest plants.

post-130198-0-61072100-1410402750_thumb.

• Like 1