Miserable life of foreign children detained in Thailand: HRW

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

First rule in solving a problem is to identify the root cause.

When a faucet is left turned on and water is flooding the basement, you would first turn off the faucet.

Seems quite a number of posters here are young, or ignorant about history.

Read up on the Boat People of the late 1970s, after the Vietnam War. Why are there none now? What closed that faucet?

Are you a plumber, by any chance?

If he is hopefully he can close his own faucet

Anyone of any age that comes here illegally is a criminal and NOT a migrant. They should be sent back to the country from whence they came. Of course 30 days in a detention centre, as described, should encourage them to return ASAP!

So a five year old migrant is a criminal.

What control does any five year old have over their lives at that age?

I'm sure you at five were fully independent, had a part time job and had no reliance on your own parents, You probably didn't do what they told you as you no doubt knew better. Had they tried to take you over a border crossing, you would have requested your parents show you your valid visa before acquiescing to their demands, correct? Or would you have just gone along for the holiday?

So explain again how is a five year old migrant criminally liable for his or her own actions please.

Children need to be treated like children in an environment suitable for children. Especially when those in positions of authority have control over their situation. No excuses.

If i kept my children in conditions like this no doubt the puritanical brigade in TVF would demand my immediate hanging and rightly so.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

First rule in solving a problem is to identify the root cause.

When a faucet is left turned on and water is flooding the basement, you would first turn off the faucet.

Seems quite a number of posters here are young, or ignorant about history.

Read up on the Boat People of the late 1970s, after the Vietnam War. Why are there none now? What closed that faucet?

Are you a plumber, by any chance?

If he is hopefully he can close his own faucet

Why? Are you being sprinkled by a golden shower?

Anyone of any age that comes here illegally is a criminal and NOT a migrant. They should be sent back to the country from whence they came. Of course 30 days in a detention centre, as described, should encourage them to return ASAP!

I'm sure you at five were fully independent, had a part time job and had no reliance on your own parents, You probably didn't do what they told you as you no doubt knew better. Had they tried to take you over a border crossing, you would have requested your parents show you your valid visa before acquiescing to their demands, correct? Or would you have just gone along for the holiday?

So explain again how is a five year old migrant criminally liable for his or her own actions please.

Children need to be treated like children in an environment suitable for children. Especially when those in positions of authority have control over their situation. No excuses.

If i kept my children in conditions like this no doubt the puritanical brigade in TVF would demand my immediate hanging and rightly so.

Then you should not tour India as you would certainly be fleeced by street beggars carrying kidnapped children, and encouraging more such kidnapping.

Shame ....etc ..etc....

Thailand is the only country in the region 'willing' to process these people.

Naturally this should be funded by the UNHCR whom on their turn screaming for donors.

The problem is partly funding, but most of all the politrix in the source of misery...Myanmar.

This, while the economic powerhouses, stumbling upon one another to get a footprint in the country.

A global stand on injustice and refugee in the home region should be implemented, NOT a constant bashing of a country who really doesn't want to be donor country in the first place.

I like to see solutions in the process

Unfortunately ......Misery doesn't sell.

Then you should not tour India as you would certainly be fleeced by street beggars carrying kidnapped children, and encouraging more such kidnapping.

Wow - a response that had absolutely nothing to do with the actions of the Thai Immigration department and their treatment of children nor my response to it. But written with such moral indignation and fury you can feel the anger seething through the keyboard.

The crux of which argues that as Indian beggars kidnap children this justifies the treatment of migrant children in detention in IDC's in Thailand.

You clearly work at a level far above my pay grade!

well if the 'poor little kiddies' don't like it they can always nag their irresponsible parents to take them back where they came from, Thailand does not want or need them and nobody else does either.

I think the the familiar acronym TiT may have a new home, although it may be used as a proper noun in this instance.

Edited by jonclark

..and a Vietnamese refugee just became the governor of South Australia.

A lot more needs to be done with refugees. If they are here purely for economic reasons, they should be returned. Persecution is an entirely different matter.

A lot more needs to be done with refugees. If they are here purely for economic reasons, they should be returned. Persecution is an entirely different matter.

They are all here for economic reasons and should be returned. Asylum used to be commie spys and ballet dancers, now it's the poor and huddled masses just taking the pxxs.

• Like 1

They are all here for economic reasons and should be returned. Asylum used to be commie spys and ballet dancers, now it's the poor and huddled masses just taking the pxxs.

You don't know what you're writing about - using prejudice without knowledge. Start by learning the difference between a refugee and an economic immigrant.

Most refugees here are fleeing some sort of threat against their lives. For example the Rohingya, Karen and other ethnic groups along the Myanmar-Thai borders. Some are in refugee camps, not ideal but at least not locked up in a virtual prison which the report is targeting.

Thailand actively attracts economic immigrants, from Myanmar, Cambodia & Laos (which anyone with one eye open would know from the recent publicity surrounding them). It is trying to legalise those immigrants and certainly has the right to send any illegal economic immigrants back to their homeland.

Some refugees are trafficked forcefully by 'agents' from their own country and also local 'agents' here in Thailand. Overall Thailand has had a poor reputation for the treatment of both refugees & poor immigrants. If this report triggers some effort to clean up their act, it will have been well worthwhile.

I have no sympathy for the adults, they know the rules, as for the children blame their parents, if they had not brought them to Thailand they would not be detained.

Any that are being held in detention for a long time, they must resisting deportation so I assume conditions in the detention centres must be better than back home.

Here in the UK they are tacking the pixx, immigration pick them up off the streets or find them working, they are interviewed, most have learned to destroy any legitimate ID and our detention centres are full so they let them go. (OK a bit exaggerated but not far from the truth).

well if the 'poor little kiddies' don't like it they can always nag their irresponsible parents to take them back where they came from, Thailand does not want or need them and nobody else does either.

you ignorant cvnt.......coffee1.gif

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 2

If any posters are sufficiently scandalized by the treatment of illegal refugees in Thailand perhaps they would like to start a fund to improve their situation. I'll pony up $50.

BTW, did anyone see the Frontline special about the Syrian refugee children who are forced to work in the fields at hard labor picking up potatoes all day to support their families? I don't think that the illegal immigrants in Thailand are forced to work, are they? Actually, the condition of refugees around the world is scandalous. So far as the root cause of their becoming refugees, for many it is poverty. Who is going to solve that? How?

If any posters are sufficiently scandalized by the treatment of illegal refugees in Thailand perhaps they would like to start a fund to improve their situation. I'll pony up $50.

BTW, did anyone see the Frontline special about the Syrian refugee children who are forced to work in the fields at hard labor picking up potatoes all day to support their families? I don't think that the illegal immigrants in Thailand are forced to work, are they? Actually, the condition of refugees around the world is scandalous. So far as the root cause of their becoming refugees, for many it is poverty. Who is going to solve that? How?

How the world solved the problem of the Vietnamese boat people almost 20 years ago would be a good start.

Why should people have 'human rights' to turn up in another country and expect not to be detained, do they expect hotel accommodation?

Precisely.

Are people suggesting they should build nice homes for all the refuges that come to Thailand. Perhaps all these do gooder organizations shut down and take the enormous over head it cost to run them and invest it in decent housing for the refuges. Or better still take them to the countries they come from.

Don't get me wrong I think it is deplorable the conditions they have to live in. But even more deplorable is to do nothing about it except say some one else should do some thing about it while you do nothing except draw a good size pay check. Thailand has a large population of refuges probably more than most countries in the world. Yet what help do they get from the rest of the world. Criticism plenty help well that is a horse of another color.

Because dissent is punished, both here on the forum and in Thai society. When the truth gets out...

Why should people have 'human rights' to turn up in another country and expect not to be detained, do they expect hotel accommodation?

Ever try "putting yourself in their shoes" ?

what's happening to this forum?................ seems to be under invasion from knuckledraggers and mouthbreathers.

what's happening to this forum?................ seems to be under invasion from knuckledraggers and mouthbreathers.

I tried but they don't wear shoes....

CB

My wife has a Burmese friend, she walked for three months through the Jungles to get away from the Burmese Army, they wanted to kill her, like they did all of her family, for protesting, For democracy. Does she have human rights, I think so.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

My wife has a Burmese friend, she walked for three months through the Jungles to get away from the Burmese Army, they wanted to kill her, like they did all of her family, for protesting, For democracy. Does she have human rights, I think so.

Too bad Burma has no significant oil reserve, or else, the US army would be sent in to preserve her human rights like they did in Iraq.

Too bad Burma has no significant oil reserve, or else, the US army would be sent in to preserve her human rights like they did in Iraq.

I believe Burma is actually one of the most natural resource rich countries.

I believe Burma is actually one of the most natural resource rich countries.

Resources of the jungle and semi-precious stones. But not oil.

My best friends wife processed 'asylum' claims in the UK for years. According to her 95% were fake with the same old stories they were taught to say, men had all been threatened with death and the woman 'raped' checks were almost never made. she herself was Ugandan who had used the same pack of lies in order to stay. In the end she left the service sick of all the silly liberals working there. These Rohinyas are not fleeing persecution and what trouble they have had they have brought on themselves, they should go to an Islamic country if they want asylum.

Thankfully the Thais are not stupid enough to fall for the bleating of the human rights watch, poor little kiddies accommodation not up to scratch?, cry me a river heard it all before.