Thai dentists and local anaesthetic

sipi

It would be nice to think there is a wonderful new breed of dentist offering pain free treatment to all, and Thai ladies can be quite angelic, but I think the reality is OP is lucky enough to only need shallow fillings and is blessed with deeper nerve sets than others.

It's just luck. Many people are the opposite, thus a trip to the dentist is unthinkable without injections and even then they do not always work as the lower jaw can throw up irregular nerve patterns. So I can equally believe the poster who mentioned the need for numbing even with cleaning.

It's also a bit of a myth about grinning and bearing it, in the old days a typical solution for problem teeth was laughing gas and extraction. I think things have moved on.

I hate the injections. Am I the only one? I feel like my one side of my face is paralyzed. I can't speak properly for 36 hours. I still feel like my tongue hasn't recovered since the injection last week. Once I seriously thought I'd had a stroke when I couldn't feel the side of my face or speak properly the next day after an injection for a dental procedure here. Why are they so quick to shove a needle into your gums?

I've finally had to convince my sweet, cute, dentist that I'm a tough old bird who would much rather suck it up for a few minutes instead of coming back to see her the day after a dental procedure to complain about how my eyelid is drooping and I can't speak.

My estimate is that after a rather heavy injection it fades away after 3-4 hours (I might be wrong 2 hours, never looked at the watch) maybe a slight strange feeling another 1 hour.

But no way it is 36 hours.

As well I hate, the dentist, a bit less cute and sweet, but university degrees from all over the world and very smart, making small talk while have a break and I can only speak like an idiot.

So for small things I refuse the injection, even I hate the treatment.

As male I still focus on the beautiful doctor and the beautiful helper.......My over 70 year old mother admitted she doing the same in Farangland with her 1.90 meter tall very handsome male doctor laugh.png.

(that counts for some caries, not for root treatment).....

• 2 years later...

Some amazing questions here ''Why you need for anyway?'' and some revelations with ''That it hurts is part of the game.''

The reason people need anesthetic is to stop them from moving around, punching the dentist in the face, fainting or vomiting.  It also promotes a safer and cleaner image rather than some guy in a shed with some tools doing it cheap.

The reason Thai dentists don't give it is too save a few bucks for the company.  Poor people feel pain, rich pay more and don't.  Same for animals when the neuter a cat without any anesthetic which is true in many cases here.

The solution is to find one that does it.

Edited by johnray

I have never encountered a dentist unwilling to give local anesthetic nor a vet who neuters animals without first anesthetizing them in my several decades here Thailand. Which is not to say that there aren't any in the country who do this, but it is certainly not the norm.

The dentist I use, not only gives local anesthetic unasked but also first swabs the gums with a numbing agent so that the injection is not painful -- this too, automatically and unasked. In rare cases where they think there will be no need for anesthetic they discuss it with me first to get my OK, and with the clear understanding that they will stop and administer it if any pain is felt.

I have had animals spayed and neutered by upcountry vets, always with anesthetic. The only issue there I have encountered is that some upcountry vets will remove only the uterus in a female, leaving the ovaries with the result that the poor animal still goes into heat - very cruel IMO. After encountering that once I (1) never used that Vet again and (2) make a point of specifying removal of uterus and ovaries.

• Like 1

Yes, our vet in Chiang Mai asked if we wanted the ovaries to remain when she neutered our female cat and I was shocked that people would actually make the choice for the ovaries to remain.  We'd been through one session of heat and the female absolutely terrorized our larger  neutered male cat during this time.  Not a good situation for two cats who live their lives as indoor cats in a condo.  Now they're back to being the best of friends.

On 9/5/2014 at 5:57 PM, debrakfurlow said:

I want gas. Nitrous Oxide PLEASE. Anyone know who uses it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, there is at least one clinic in Bangkok, it's part of a chain, am I allowed to post their web address here? I have no affiliation with this clinic. It's a clinic who caters to foreigners, so it might not be as cheap as a dentist in Chiang Mai. I've been there twice, for a cleaning and a couple of simple fillings (not even an injection needed), if I remember correctly a filling is 1000 or 1200 Baht, cleaning and scaling about the same. If you want the NO2, the price is per hour, it's on their site. Please let me know if I can post their address here, otherwise PM me.

Do not post the web address. You can post the name of the clinic and people who want it can easily look it up. Note that the post you are relying to is 3 years old now.

Given that almost no clinics in Thailand have adequate emergency equipment/plans/procedures in place and ability to effect an immediate transfer to a hospital in an equipped, professionally staffed ambulance, I advise against getting this in a clinic. If you need it, have it done in the dental department of a hopital.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do not post the web address. You can post the name of the clinic and people who want it can easily look it up. Note that the post you are relying to is 3 years old now.

Given that almost no clinics in Thailand have adequate emergency equipment/plans/procedures in place and ability to effect an immediate transfer to a hospital in an equipped, professionally staffed ambulance, I advise against getting this in a clinic. If you need it, have it done in the dental department of a hopital.

Thank you Sheryl.

I didn't realise that part of this thread is so old. Anyway, it's Bangkok Smile Dental Group / Clinic.

@Sheryl I don't quite understand your concern: Is NO2 considered dangerous? I have had it a few times (not in BKK), and it's not like I was really "under", I was aware of everything, and it certainly wouldn't have been enough to have a pain-free treatment, he still gave me at least one injection. Why should there be emergency procedures in place?