Back-up Parking. WHY?

bkksteve123

I am surprised no one has really taken issue with at least this of the OP's statements -

"I'm from Europe and while you do see the occasional back-up parking (which they teach you in driving school) for practical reasons people mostly go head in.

Can anyone tell me if this type of parking is common in other countries and why?"

Certainly in the UK I would suggest that reverse parking used to be (it may still be) more common than fronting in. For a tight space on the side of the road often you could only reverse in unless you put the front wheels up on the pavement initially to front in.

Thank you for the replies and input. I suppose the arguments for reverse parking are much stronger than I thought, mainly safety and better turning radius.

As for:

"If you really wish to have pleasant stay in LOS, throw the "Why" question out the window. They do it, accept that and move on."

Absolutely true.

I'm sure we would all enjoy life in Thailand more if we would turn off our brains and not "tink too much" on pointless details such as why people reverse park, but sometimes it's difficult.

It started when I went to Tops market with a friend of mine and she insisted on reverse-parking even-though there was a lot of space to go front first and there were many cars behind us waiting to get out, I figured it would be polite towards other to do the "quick version" instead of backing in (with three attempts, mind you). She basically told me it's not possible to go front first, I asked why, she was unable to give me any reason except the usual "This is thai way kha". When we came back to the car we had two heavy bags of groceries, and while carefully trying to reach the trunk without the bags hitting the other cars I thought to myself how much easier this all could have been.

So the next day I met a friend and we talked about it, he agreed with me and we were unable to figure out the benefits of reverse-parking. I'll be sure to let my friend know about these benefits during the next pool-session, and to NEVER again ask my thai friend why she does what she does, and least not try to change the way she does things.

Thank you for the replies and input. I suppose the arguments for reverse parking are much stronger than I thought, mainly safety and better turning radius.

As for:

"If you really wish to have pleasant stay in LOS, throw the "Why" question out the window. They do it, accept that and move on."

Absolutely true.

I'm sure we would all enjoy life in Thailand more if we would turn off our brains and not "tink too much" on pointless details such as why people reverse park, but sometimes it's difficult.

It started when I went to Tops market with a friend of mine and she insisted on reverse-parking even-though there was a lot of space to go front first and there were many cars behind us waiting to get out, I figured it would be polite towards other to do the "quick version" instead of backing in (with three attempts, mind you). She basically told me it's not possible to go front first, I asked why, she was unable to give me any reason except the usual "This is thai way kha". When we came back to the car we had two heavy bags of groceries, and while carefully trying to reach the trunk without the bags hitting the other cars I thought to myself how much easier this all could have been.

So the next day I met a friend and we talked about it, he agreed with me and we were unable to figure out the benefits of reverse-parking. I'll be sure to let my friend know about these benefits during the next pool-session, and to NEVER again ask my thai friend why she does what she does, and least not try to change the way she does things.

farang tink tooo mut... its simple

a lot of farangs profess to be such good drivers and have been driving for a squillions years blah blah and the Thai's are such bad drivers, if the farangs are such good drivers going into a parking bay by either reverse parking or nose in first should hardly be a technical challange should it ?

Have watched some of these so called "superior" farang drivers in shopping malls, greater than 70% of them cant reverse park in less than 5 attempts...rolleyes.gif

on all oil refinerys, its reverse parking for safety reasons,

it is easyer to get out in the case of a fire or something at your condo,, something im used to so i just do it most of the time,

Jake...

see you done the same "training course" as I have done, cigarette lighters in the cubby or removed from the vehicle, dont leave the vehicle running...laugh.png

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

this is one thing the Thais do correctly and well IMO.

no not really, look at the lines they are supposed to be between and in the middle of. Most cant even park between the lines let alone so they leave room either side of their car, they have never been taught to do so. Overseas to get a licence you must be able to reverse park/parallel park between 2 cars and reverse in a straight line over a set distance, here they dont even have to drive in traffic let alone park a car properly to pass their test.

I watched a lady try 5 plus times to reverse park her car between 2 lines and kept failing, there were no other cars anywhere near her and she eventually got the parking attendant to do it, they are hopeless. The only reason they reverse park originally is because they know they will not be able to reverse out later on so they take several goes at doing it the first time.

reverse parking and parallel parking are both big things in the Thai driving test in fact I would suggest that Thai driving instructors are fairly obsessed with the whole reversing into a parking space thing