Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away: Thai editorial

webfact

I think a better title for the article would be:

"Dual-pricing is keeping tourists away: Thai editorial" because dual pricing really should not scare anyone as much as it just plain pisses them off!

Of course.

But Thailand needs to realise that it has no longer has anything to offer tourists that isn't readily available elsewhere, and often cheaper and better than here. Tourists will be less and less inclined to come here to be overcharged, ripped-off and generally abused and treated like cash machines.

Personally I'm happy being retired here because all the things I like doing are relatively easy and cheap, and I never get involved in any tourist-like activities, but this would be last place I would come to for a short holiday/vacation.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think tourists are scared away by this. It deducts from the Happiness if the tourists and as a country now so concerned with increasing the Happiness of its people it must know that if happiness of tourists is decreased they will have a tendency to look elsewhere for Happiness.

"Dual-pricing is keeping tourists away: Thai editorial" because dual pricing really should not scare anyone as much as it just plain pisses them off!

Of course.

But Thailand needs to realise that it has no longer has anything to offer tourists that isn't readily available elsewhere, and often cheaper and better than here. Tourists will be less and less inclined to come here to be overcharged, ripped-off and generally abused and treated like cash machines.

Personally I'm happy being retired here because all the things I like doing are relatively easy and cheap, and I never get involved in any tourist-like activities, but this would be last place I would come to for a short holiday/vacation.

Agree. Harvesting tourists is what they are up too these days.

The scammers have divided up the turf. Most of it is controlled by police and government officials.

In Bangkok, the Thong Lor Police have the stop, frisk, piss test, terrorize the tourist scam.

Lumpini area have their turf rented to scammers and the cigarette butt police entrapment scam.

Further down you have the gem scammers on every corner(plain clothes tourist police.)

The criminals posing as taxies outside every hotel are in on it. They pay the police.

Even the beggars are diverting your charity donations into the police pockets.

The islands have the transport scams and jet skis run by police..they rent motorbike to thousands of unlicensed drivers then pull them to fine them later.

It actually starts at the airport and is consistently applied all the way back to departures.

The King Power Duty Free Scam where the tourists are set up for 'shoplifting' kidnapped by police, taken to a crummy hotel, locked up for days and forced out of thousands of dollars.

The General should send a team to the airport departure lounge and hear the horror stories.

Interview 1,000 tourists and it will all be the same. Scammed all day long.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

But someone has to pay for the upkeep of these ostentatious temples and kickback revenue at national parks. Why should Thais have to pay?

Er, because it's their country and the buildings belong to them:-?

After all, why would a Thai have to pay for the upkeep of St Paul's cathedral? So why would someone from the UK have to pay extra for the upkeep of Wat Phra Kaew?

No-one minds a fair admission fee, but last I saw it was 350 baht at Wat phra kaew and that was 4 or 5 years ago. God k owns what it is now. Thais free, of course.

One price for all, I say

Of course.

Agree. Harvesting tourists is what they are up too these days.

The scammers have divided up the turf. Most of it is controlled by police and government officials.

In Bangkok, the Thong Lor Police have the stop, frisk, piss test, terrorize the tourist scam.

Lumpini area have their turf rented to scammers and the cigarette butt police entrapment scam.

Further down you have the gem scammers on every corner(plain clothes tourist police.)

The criminals posing as taxies outside every hotel are in on it. They pay the police.

Even the beggars are diverting your charity donations into the police pockets.

The islands have the transport scams and jet skis run by police..they rent motorbike to thousands of unlicensed drivers then pull them to fine them later.

It actually starts at the airport and is consistently applied all the way back to departures.

The King Power Duty Free Scam where the tourists are set up for 'shoplifting' kidnapped by police, taken to a crummy hotel, locked up for days and forced out of thousands of dollars.

The General should send a team to the airport departure lounge and hear the horror stories.

Interview 1,000 tourists and it will all be the same. Scammed all day long.

How about the vast majority of foreigners who have never experienced these scams? Sure they exist, just like in every popular tourist destination or city. But nothing like you suggest. Still, it makes for effective scaremongering and lurid headlines.

How about the vast majority of foreigners who have never experienced these scams?

Many tourists are scammed and dont even realise it.

I've lost count of the number of people I have seen happily overpay for public transport and other small business services in Pattaya, simply because they dont know what the real price is. I know that the same (or much worse) happens elsewhere in Thailand.

Ahh so its only a few who get scammed? A few hundred , thousand? Its most who are either cheated or attempts are made to cheat .

Nonsense.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

My wife ran a tourist business. Virtually every tourist we met had scam stories. Many started with a tuk tuk ride.

Some were crying, the scammers are relentless. Everywhere they go, got targeted by some smiling liar.

They would ruin your holiday for a 5 baht profit.

Dress like a tourist, carry a map and camera then start a walk near Sukhumvit Soi 20 and head towards wireless road, then down Silom.

Grab a tuk tuk to the Grand Palace or KowSan.

I will wager you are targeted & hit on and lied to 50 times or more, some wearing uniform, badges etc..

Ahh so its only a few who get scammed? A few hundred , thousand? Its most who are either cheated or attempts are made to cheat .

Nonsense.
Just look at the Taxis in Bangkok at Morchit, Suvanupum and that are stationed around all the tourist attractions. Some of them refuse to take Thai passengers, first thing they say would be "No meter, 500 Baht!" (for any destinations in Bangkok!) and so on. I who have lived here for 3 years and been coming here as tourist some more years know that but many of the tourists don't know and will happily pay 500 for a 200 Baht trip.

Then you have the Tuk-Tuk, last time I used one I did it for fun to see if what people say about them was real, Kao Sarn road to MBK 2.5 hours and 5 stops at different shops... I didn't buy anything...

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Ridiculous. Totally absurd. What an incredible mangling of common sense and economic reality! Do you REALLY think the whole world must accommodate itself to Thai spending ability by lowering their prices in their own countries just esp. for THAIS?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I'd like to travel to Norway, but their pricing is kind o' high. Could we please have them cut their prices for me? Uh, Japan, too. Oh, and Monaco?

SHOULD BE: one price for everyone wherever you happen to be, whatever the market there happens to bear; no discrimination just because you're a foreigner! Thai prices (for everyone) in Thailand. Farang prices (for everyone) in Farangland. THAT'S actually the "same same" rubric you're groping for - try & wrap your mind around the "sameness" in THAT concept. It's there. It's obvious. That Thai prices should apply to Thais in NYC, instead of NYC prices in NYC, makes no sense at all! (And how I hate that silly, simple-minded, lethally worn-out, phrase, "same same"...'just like that excruciating "methinks" thing)

Can't live with that? TIT? Thais must have their way? OK. That's their right; no argument. But then prepare for the travel industry consequences, such as those being editorialized here. Travelers may be slow to wake up to these things, but sooner or later the light always comes on. And Thais just DON'T seem to get THAT!

If they dressed it up a bit it would be better.

Thai residents and long term stayers versus tourists

And then applied the rule consistently. But then beyond that it should only be applied by government public funded events. Private companies should not be allowed to do it.

Its complicated mind. Just imagine the discounts given by hotels to foreign travel agents which aren't available in the domestic market.

Mods... good time to either get the thread back on topic... or close it. It is about dual pricing... not scams and being robbed/ripped off.

Isnt dual pricing a rip off and a scam?

I don't think so necessarily. IMHO there are instances where discounts can be applied to residents, and not foreigners, (and I include foreign Thais). If you get on a boat down here (as a Thai) with an ID card marked as a local, you pay less than a Thai from say BKK. So they differentiate between Thais on the basis of where they come from. Why? Because we pay a myriad of local fees, licenses and taxes, and use the service a whole lot more, so are more entitled to a discount than a non-local... Thai OR Farang. If I go to the fish shop, I will pay less than a non-local Thai. Why? Because they know me, we are friends, and I buy a lot of fish. I am a good customer, so I get a discount. The notion that prices may vary between 2 or more groups is just a fact of life... and not immoral or unethical. Totally different to being ripped off.

The most discusting dual pricing is when a fahrang company charges dual prices for that and foreigners.

In pattaya there is a company that organises boat trips and has dual pricing and the fahrang owner thinks it's quit normal to ripp off fahrang.

Edited by rebeli

EDITORIAL

Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away

The Nation

The widespread practice of overcharging foreign visitors must be curbed if Thai tourism is to prosper again

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's tourism industry has been adversely affected by years of street protests, political violence and, recently, martial law imposed by the coup-makers. But the widespread practice of overcharging and double-pricing is also playing a major role in scaring visitors away from Thai shores.

Long-term foreign residents and regular visitors to Thailand have been complaining about a "two-tier" pricing system for years. Though some visitors may regard paying a little extra just a minor nuisance, others feel they are being discriminated against and point out that the discrepancy can be large, with foreigners charged double or more.

Tourists and foreign expatriates who do not speak or read Thai often fall prey to greedy taxi drivers, street vendors and other business operators. They also experience dual-price entry fees for tourist attractions such as national parks or temples. At popular Bangkok sites like Wat Phra Kaew (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha) locals are let in free while foreigners pay to enter.

And to get there, tourists may have to deal with taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter for foreign passengers, who can then find themselves paying double or triple for the trip. So common is this practice among cab drivers, that a foreign tourist made the news recently for expressing gratitude to a cabby who had agreed to turn on the meter.

Well-known local blogger Richard Barrow recently publicised plans to increase the entry fee for foreigners at Wat Pho, from Bt100 to Bt200, starting in January. "The price remains free for Thais. The argument is that Thais will make merit by donating money. But what about the Thai Muslims, Christians and Sikhs, etc, who also get in for free? Why is that fair when foreign Buddhists have to pay so much?" wrote Barrow on his website.

Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries. But the problem is a perennial topic of discussion among visitors to the Kingdom and is damaging Thailand's reputation. This means that it is likely scaring away prospective tourists and discouraging repeat visits.

"It begins with the people", declares the Tourism Authority's "Amazing Thailand" campaign, suggesting that the friendliness of ordinary Thais is the main lure for foreigner visitors. Indeed, Thailand's deserved reputation as the "land of smiles" attracts millions of tourists. But when "the people" turn greedy and selfish, the smile fades and so does the attraction for would-be visitors.

Tourism is a major revenue-earner for Thailand, accounting for about 10 per cent of the economy. In the first seven months of this year, tourist arrivals totalled 13.62 million, down 10.7 per cent from 15.26 million a year earlier.

The authorities have taken several measures in a bid to woo back visitors. These include waiving visa fees for Chinese tourists, who constitute the largest group of visitors to Thailand, and extending the maximum permitted length of stay for tourists from 48 countries. Campaigns have been organised in Asean countries like Singapore and Indonesia in a bid to persuade their nationals to visit Thailand again.

However, if we are serious about attracting more tourists to the Kingdom, we need to put the smile back on the face of this land by curbing the practices of overcharging and dual-pricing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Dual-pricing-is-scaring-tourists-away-30242446.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-04

I totally refuse to go any place that charges me more than Thai. Even place like Paragon's under water aquarium which changes foreign visitors double unless you have work permit.

EDITORIAL

The Nation

The widespread practice of overcharging foreign visitors must be curbed if Thai tourism is to prosper again

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's tourism industry has been adversely affected by years of street protests, political violence and, recently, martial law imposed by the coup-makers. But the widespread practice of overcharging and double-pricing is also playing a major role in scaring visitors away from Thai shores.

Long-term foreign residents and regular visitors to Thailand have been complaining about a "two-tier" pricing system for years. Though some visitors may regard paying a little extra just a minor nuisance, others feel they are being discriminated against and point out that the discrepancy can be large, with foreigners charged double or more.

Tourists and foreign expatriates who do not speak or read Thai often fall prey to greedy taxi drivers, street vendors and other business operators. They also experience dual-price entry fees for tourist attractions such as national parks or temples. At popular Bangkok sites like Wat Phra Kaew (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha) locals are let in free while foreigners pay to enter.

And to get there, tourists may have to deal with taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter for foreign passengers, who can then find themselves paying double or triple for the trip. So common is this practice among cab drivers, that a foreign tourist made the news recently for expressing gratitude to a cabby who had agreed to turn on the meter.

Well-known local blogger Richard Barrow recently publicised plans to increase the entry fee for foreigners at Wat Pho, from Bt100 to Bt200, starting in January. "The price remains free for Thais. The argument is that Thais will make merit by donating money. But what about the Thai Muslims, Christians and Sikhs, etc, who also get in for free? Why is that fair when foreign Buddhists have to pay so much?" wrote Barrow on his website.

Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries. But the problem is a perennial topic of discussion among visitors to the Kingdom and is damaging Thailand's reputation. This means that it is likely scaring away prospective tourists and discouraging repeat visits.

"It begins with the people", declares the Tourism Authority's "Amazing Thailand" campaign, suggesting that the friendliness of ordinary Thais is the main lure for foreigner visitors. Indeed, Thailand's deserved reputation as the "land of smiles" attracts millions of tourists. But when "the people" turn greedy and selfish, the smile fades and so does the attraction for would-be visitors.

Tourism is a major revenue-earner for Thailand, accounting for about 10 per cent of the economy. In the first seven months of this year, tourist arrivals totalled 13.62 million, down 10.7 per cent from 15.26 million a year earlier.

The authorities have taken several measures in a bid to woo back visitors. These include waiving visa fees for Chinese tourists, who constitute the largest group of visitors to Thailand, and extending the maximum permitted length of stay for tourists from 48 countries. Campaigns have been organised in Asean countries like Singapore and Indonesia in a bid to persuade their nationals to visit Thailand again.

However, if we are serious about attracting more tourists to the Kingdom, we need to put the smile back on the face of this land by curbing the practices of overcharging and dual-pricing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Dual-pricing-is-scaring-tourists-away-30242446.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-04

I totally refuse to go any place that charges me more than Thai. Even place like Paragon's under water aquarium which changes foreign visitors double unless you have work permit.

I went there and paid Thai price, with no permit... just me, some friends and my family.

Edited by mojorison

EDITORIAL

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-04

I went there and paid Thai price, with no permit... just me, some friends and my family.

I treated my Thai staff to Ocean World and they had the nerve to charge me the scam price for my staff.

No,no,no. I pointed to the sign with the sneaky Thai script. What does that say?

Fun to put a scammer on the Hot Seat.

It appears, looking at this clip, that the beach mafia are also scaring away the tourists. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. bah.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

That is terrible digusting behaviour on a Public Beach. Everybody should be well aware of this, if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. And how about the thug totally covering himself, faceless cowards.

It appears, looking at this clip, that the beach mafia are also scaring away the tourists. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. bah.gif

That is terrible digusting behaviour on a Public Beach. Everybody should be well aware of this, if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. And how about the thug totally covering himself, faceless cowards.

This is just a completely disgusting example of why, sometimes, Thailand just sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

I am trying to understand what this thai guy was thinking here. Maybe the russian woman had stayed inside his "territory" where he rents out beach chairs. Or maybe she had some issues with him in the past, that made him angry ?

Really strange behaviour from a thai . He was pushing her away from what looked like a public beach area.