Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away

The Nation

The widespread practice of overcharging foreign visitors must be curbed if Thai tourism is to prosper again

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's tourism industry has been adversely affected by years of street protests, political violence and, recently, martial law imposed by the coup-makers. But the widespread practice of overcharging and double-pricing is also playing a major role in scaring visitors away from Thai shores.

Long-term foreign residents and regular visitors to Thailand have been complaining about a "two-tier" pricing system for years. Though some visitors may regard paying a little extra just a minor nuisance, others feel they are being discriminated against and point out that the discrepancy can be large, with foreigners charged double or more.

Tourists and foreign expatriates who do not speak or read Thai often fall prey to greedy taxi drivers, street vendors and other business operators. They also experience dual-price entry fees for tourist attractions such as national parks or temples. At popular Bangkok sites like Wat Phra Kaew (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha) locals are let in free while foreigners pay to enter.

And to get there, tourists may have to deal with taxi drivers who refuse to use the meter for foreign passengers, who can then find themselves paying double or triple for the trip. So common is this practice among cab drivers, that a foreign tourist made the news recently for expressing gratitude to a cabby who had agreed to turn on the meter.

Well-known local blogger Richard Barrow recently publicised plans to increase the entry fee for foreigners at Wat Pho, from Bt100 to Bt200, starting in January. "The price remains free for Thais. The argument is that Thais will make merit by donating money. But what about the Thai Muslims, Christians and Sikhs, etc, who also get in for free? Why is that fair when foreign Buddhists have to pay so much?" wrote Barrow on his website.

Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries. But the problem is a perennial topic of discussion among visitors to the Kingdom and is damaging Thailand's reputation. This means that it is likely scaring away prospective tourists and discouraging repeat visits.

"It begins with the people", declares the Tourism Authority's "Amazing Thailand" campaign, suggesting that the friendliness of ordinary Thais is the main lure for foreigner visitors. Indeed, Thailand's deserved reputation as the "land of smiles" attracts millions of tourists. But when "the people" turn greedy and selfish, the smile fades and so does the attraction for would-be visitors.

Tourism is a major revenue-earner for Thailand, accounting for about 10 per cent of the economy. In the first seven months of this year, tourist arrivals totalled 13.62 million, down 10.7 per cent from 15.26 million a year earlier.

The authorities have taken several measures in a bid to woo back visitors. These include waiving visa fees for Chinese tourists, who constitute the largest group of visitors to Thailand, and extending the maximum permitted length of stay for tourists from 48 countries. Campaigns have been organised in Asean countries like Singapore and Indonesia in a bid to persuade their nationals to visit Thailand again.

However, if we are serious about attracting more tourists to the Kingdom, we need to put the smile back on the face of this land by curbing the practices of overcharging and dual-pricing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Dual-pricing-is-scaring-tourists-away-30242446.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-04

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a major step in the right direction. At the same time make it an offence to pay kickbacks to people bringing tourist to tourist related businesses and lower the prices instead. According to my gf who works for a hotel in CM this could be up to 30% of the price and nearly every business pays them.

"Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries."

Is it?

On the same scale as it is in Thailand?

Legally?

I wouldn't be surprised to be honest, just never seem it or noticed I guess.

Edited by Bluespunk

If your not Thai you must pay more

its not the act of doing this that's the problem, its the mindset that says its correct to do so.

I can imagine many Thais honestly saying "Why not ?"

You've hit it on the head, how many Thais know or care ?

I doubt there would be any ' that's not right ' views.

If your not Thai you must pay more

its not the act of doing this that's the problem, its the mindset that says its correct to do so.

I can imagine many Thais honestly saying "Why not ?"

You've hit it on the head, how many Thais know or care ?

I doubt there would be any ' that's not right ' views.

No, they don't get it, most have never been anywhere else in the world to see otherwise. Like they don't see that calling foreign people by insulting names is wrong. Or that laughing and running away when you say hello is rude.

Thais are poor. Falang rich.

When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price.

So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price.

This is the universal law of same same no change.

If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

"Overcharging and double-pricing are also a problem for foreign tourists in some other countries."

Is it?

Legally?

The calls we all make for reciprocity in our own home countries fall flat as the average Thai doesn't travel much at home let alone internationally.

In my home country they would be taken to court for racism , everyone pays the same price regardless , it is not hard to do, why Thailand see's fit to separates Thai's from tourists/ outsiders is a baffling topic , keep in mind that derogatory remarks about Thailand at Swampy is mainly on this subject. bah.gif

Edited by chainarong

They didn't mention the most glaring example of all: the aquarium at Centralworld. I guess they don't want to offend their advertisers.

A lot of tourist attractions offer discounts to locals. Disney World offers discounts to Florida residents.

In this case, Siam Ocean World (in Paragon, not Central World) offers discounts to foreign residents as well.

They didn't mention the most glaring example of all: the aquarium at Centralworld. I guess they don't want to offend their advertisers.

For the sake of clarity (and ThaiVisa being able to carry your criticism without legal issue) I just want to point out that the aquarium is at Siam Paragon, not CentralWorld.

Yep, that one is pretty harsh. However you can get some discounts by pre-booking your tickets online. Even better if you have a work permit and then there ae certain days when there are offers. So, if the moon is in the right quarter and the tides are ebbing to the correct point and you have an 'X' in your name you might just get in for free.

I have been to Wat Phra Kaew one time, it was during a field trip with 200 students and I still had to pay the B500 entrance fee! The other teachers, vicedirector and even students tried to talk to them but the only answer was "Farang pen farang" not even work permit, teacher license, the fact that I'm a Thai civil scout and not even that the school had sent a letter asking permission to visit Wat Phra Kaew before with all teachers names and got it granted could change their minds...

I have never ever after this payed different for being foreigner and I know that the schools in that ampoe have stopped going to Wat Phra Kaew and that even the director of the school district did send a letter to Wat Phra Kaew to complain!

So there are at least some Thais that don't like the fact of the double standard!

And yes some other countries have double pricing too, at one museum in Hanoi it was free for Vietnamese citizens and I as a foreigner had to pay equal to 30 Baht...

Edited by Kasset Tak

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Obviously a troll post; no one could possibly be so stupid

India to name just one.

I seem to recall its about $25 USD to visit the taj and about equivalent of $2 USD for indians, they "justified" it to me by saying the foreign tourists also got a "free" bottle of water. Similar differentials throughout India

Is it?

Legally?

One of the problems is that you don't know about the pricing differential until you get there, and it can be huge for families of 4 or 6 adults. I am not anti local discount pricing but the levels of difference can be alarming. I guess I am really saying the foreign prices are too high often not that they should not be applied.

Are you talking about Ocean World @ Siam Paragon?

BTW, if you have a Thai DL you pay local price :-)

Thais are poor. Falang rich.When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price.So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price.This is the universal law of same same no change.If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

typical attitude of the thai scammers,but so wrong. Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

It is nice to see that someone "gets it", but a shame that it is in an English language publication that most Thai people won't read and don't care about.

Does not matter whether the Thai people care. Publicise this fact to the world and let all foreigners vote with their feet.

They only want to do something because although they are lying about tourist coming back they are not! This is a government and people who believe lying a little is o.k. just like excepting corruption.

As noted it is a mindset, even in the police station and hospital that charges you more is o.k., as recently as last month Bangkok/Hospital gave me a quote in writing for 15,000 for a procedure when i came back a week later to confirm the procedure the original doctor had overbook his day so I was told another doctor could do the procedure. After doing some paperwork I was told the charge will be 25,000, I pull out and gave her the slip of earlier quote and she/he came right out and say that is " Thai price " " you Falang " was was stunned knew and heard about it before never could confirm.

Here what is new... all smoke and mirror!