Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away: Thai editorial

webfact

whybother, on 04 Sept 2014 - 18:25, said:whybother, on 04 Sept 2014 - 18:25, said:
Rorri, on 04 Sept 2014 - 18:20, said:Rorri, on 04 Sept 2014 - 18:20, said:

That's only because it is subsidised by the government, your tax at work, but what you say does NOT stand true if you go to a private hospital, I think you are being a "little" unfair with your example. Entry prices, in Australia are the same for everyone, with exceptions for students, with concession cards, kids, I think under 12 and senior citizens. There is NOT difference between tourists and most Aussies, it is simply illegal.

Yes, I have been corrected on the "private hospital" aspect.

But in Australian government hospitals, tourists would pay more than locals because locals are subsidised.

What you seem to have forgotten, maybe you've been away too long, or have an axe to grind, but when Aussies pay tax there is a "Medicare levy" this is in fact a healthcare insurance payment, so again, what you say is wrong.

Edited by Rorri

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ling Kae, on 05 Sept 2014 - 01:12, said:
wilcopops, on 04 Sept 2014 - 21:16, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 04 Sept 2014 - 20:25, said:
brewsterbudgen, on 04 Sept 2014 - 20:00, said:

It isn't based on skin colour. If you have a Thai driving licence, work permit or tax certificate to show you pay Thai income tax, you pay the Thai price.

If you're white they ask for higher price.

If you're Asian they ask for lower price.

Sure if you're white you can show ID, but if you're Asian no ID required.

If this wasn't racist, they would ask everyone, Asian, Black and white for ID.

Interesting - where did you get that idea...it is of course completely untrue.

Bullsh!t, your comment is so out of touch it isn't funny.

Car load of 3 Thais and 1 Philipino turn up to a National Park (all look thai) no questions asked. 20 baht each

then

Same car turns up with 3 Thais and one white farang, 60 baht for the 3 Thais and 200 baht for the farang. Do you think this is fair and right? This is a racial discrimination at it's best and this is why Thailand is still a 3rd world country.

lol... Thailand is NOT a third world country, it is a country of its own.

HiSoLowSoNoSo, on 05 Sept 2014 - 06:12, said:

""It isn't based on skin colour. If you have a Thai driving licence, work permit or tax certificate to show you pay Thai income tax, you pay the Thai price.""

Seems to be different policies at different national parks, tried coming into Khao Panueng Thung, Keang Krachan National park a couple of times with my Thai driving licence for the Thai price but had to pay the Farang price every time, at other parks I got the Thai price with my Thai driving license and WP, so I am not sure what the rules are any longer, maybe its up to the officer at the gate.

Wake up, it's Thailand, it makes no difference to what the "rules" are, it comes down to whose on the take gate.

Have never found it to be a two way street....

So accept it... Or you can leave it......

Never really understood the concept..... Some places do it in Thailand and some do not... guess it just depends where you are living in the LOS.

Maybe it is just the thought.... I have taken some family to places before, and I was quite shocked, some have no problem telling you have to pay more.

If this happened in America, the people running the business, would be sued..... This concept has always seemed kind of funny to me... Why two prices? I guess it all just depends on where one stands. I think it is a matter of speaking. I have been places where I paid for all of them to visit, and when we entered, it was told, he is Foreigner, he has to pay more. I have had some say, he is paying for all of us, and others say, I'm so sorry. So what has it all changed in the many years? Not much in my opinion.....

Just my opinion, character is the true ideals of which some may think on, or then again never look, back.

Have a great day! kilosierra giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

There is a Thai mindset that all foreigners are rich and it's OK to scam them.

Everyones in on it.

That's why Thailand is considered the Nigeria of Asia.

I was in a taxi with some Thais and they were speaking to the driver and they all chuckled.

I didn't hear what was said.

They told me "the driver wants to learn english so he can lie to the farang" 55555 All thought it was hilarious.

In my home country they would be taken to court for racism , everyone pays the same price regardless , it is not hard to do, why Thailand see's fit to separates Thai's from tourists/ outsiders is a baffling topic , keep in mind that derogatory remarks about Thailand at Swampy is mainly on this subject. bah.gif

In America if your retirement age you can pay less. Talk about age discrimination.

The problem is we are not really talking about age! But race!

I'M ASIAN! live here and can tell you I do not get same treatment as a Thai, what I get when I travel to the tourist area is head to toe, once they find out I'm not Thai it is the same shit and I speak enough Thai to get by. I have a Thai driver license and rarely do I ever get the same treatment not even in the situation at the hospital. In my own experience being Asian living here the expectation/racism is even greater than for a white falang.

I visit a bar the first thing I feel walking in is they think I am a cop! The white guys look at me the same then I'm made to feel if I'm in the south in the U.S. in the 60's 70's? of course not intentionally? Last when I barfine I do not get Thai price?

Let me amend the title: Dual pricing is PISSING tourists off!

The short of it is, you are not of Thai blood, thus you do not deserve to be afforded respect, rights and the way of life the natives have. Listen to the anthem; the xenophobia is right in your face and washed over the brain of every single citizen twice a day.

You may get Thai price for some things but always need to be on guard as the opportunity is always there for you to be stung.

No amount of bluster from educated Thais saying they should buck up (because what, we're losing tourist dollars?) will make a difference. It is how it is. Like it or lump it. You are not Thai. Know your place!

Yep, pissing more and more people off because of why and how they do it.

That's the thing with me, I am tired of being on the guard...it's exhausting.

Too bad for the good thai businesses that are being affected because of the dirtbag thais ripping everyone off.

Let me amend the title: Dual pricing is PISSING tourists off!

The short of it is, you are not of Thai blood, thus you do not deserve to be afforded respect, rights and the way of life the natives have. Listen to the anthem; the xenophobia is right in your face and washed over the brain of every single citizen twice a day.

You may get Thai price for some things but always need to be on guard as the opportunity is always there for you to be stung.

No amount of bluster from educated Thais saying they should buck up (because what, we're losing tourist dollars?) will make a difference. It is how it is. Like it or lump it. You are not Thai. Know your place!

It isn't based on skin colour. If you have a Thai driving licence, work permit or tax certificate to show you pay Thai income tax, you pay the Thai price.

That is just not true.

Please go to Wat Prakaew and bring all of the documents you mentioned and tell us how it wentthumbsup.gif

You do know that there are 50 - 100 Thai scammers surrounding the palace, telling everybody it is closed...then they attempt to divert them into a day long scam.

Those bastards have ruined thousands and thousands of holidays.

The tourist police run the show.

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Ridiculous. Totally absurd. What an incredible mangling of common sense and economic reality! Do you REALLY think the whole world must accommodate itself to Thai spending ability by lowering their prices in their own countries just esp. for THAIS?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I'd like to travel to Norway, but their pricing is kind o' high. Could we please have them cut their prices for me? Uh, Japan, too. Oh, and Monaco?

SHOULD BE: one price for everyone wherever you happen to be, whatever the market there happens to bear; no discrimination just because you're a foreigner! Thai prices (for everyone) in Thailand. Farang prices (for everyone) in Farangland. THAT'S actually the "same same" rubric you're groping for - try & wrap your mind around the "sameness" in THAT concept. It's there. It's obvious. That Thai prices should apply to Thais in NYC, instead of NYC prices in NYC, makes no sense at all! (And how I hate that silly, simple-minded, lethally worn-out, phrase, "same same"...'just like that excruciating "methinks" thing)

Can't live with that? TIT? Thais must have their way? OK. That's their right; no argument. But then prepare for the travel industry consequences, such as those being editorialized here. Travelers may be slow to wake up to these things, but sooner or later the light always comes on. And Thais just DON'T seem to get THAT!

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Obviously a troll post; no one could possibly be so stupid

Oh yes they could.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

""It isn't based on skin colour. If you have a Thai driving licence, work permit or tax certificate to show you pay Thai income tax, you pay the Thai price.""

Seems to be different policies at different national parks, tried coming into Khao Panueng Thung, Keang Krachan National park a couple of times with my Thai driving licence for the Thai price but had to pay the Farang price every time, at other parks I got the Thai price with my Thai driving license and WP, so I am not sure what the rules are any longer, maybe its up to the officer at the gate.

Wake up, it's Thailand, it makes no difference to what the "rules" are, it comes down to whose on the take gate.

It can be found in surprising places. The driver was taking me to pick up some printing in Lampang city, the Thai owner of the company told the driver to also pick up flowers, he had pre-ordered a very large quantity of flowers from on specific flower shop in the local market, close to the printing shop.

The boss gave the driver 2,000Baht cash, the agreed price. When we went to the flower shop the old vendor said 'no, 4,000Baht, farang price'.

The driver tried to explain that the farang had nothing to do with this matter. She wouldn't budge.

I paid the extra 2,000Baht and it was reimbursed.

Bottom line, the company had bought large quantities of flowers from this vendor many times before, but they never went to that vendor again.

One of the problems is that you don't know about the pricing differential until you get there, and it can be huge for families of 4 or 6 adults. I am not anti local discount pricing but the levels of difference can be alarming. I guess I am really saying the foreign prices are too high often not that they should not be applied.

And the best way of cheating the farang? Put the Thai prices in Thai numerals and the Farang prices in farang numerals. That way we won't know. So the other day whilst waiting for 30 minutes at Chiang Mai Zoo to get someone to give me permission to enter at the Thai price: I pointed out the different pricing to various foreign visitors. They were astounded by this trickery and one family walked away. This trick is used in numerous places. I personally don't care what happens elsewhere but I will not pay farang price. Especially in temples. As a Buddhist why should I pay more than Thai Buddhists? When I go shopping with my wife we find what we want and I then disappear. She buys at a lower price and then I reappear. On one occasion, I went back to the stall and the stall owner went wild when she found my wife had a foreign husband and demanded and extra 200 baht for a T shirt. In the end my wife got her money back because the stallholder would not give in and even called security. Too many dishonest people in Thailand ... too many thieves.

Been there,done that.Now i dont front up at all.Once,when i was bored,after wife bought T-shirt,i put it on,and went back in to buy another one.

One of the problems is that you don't know about the pricing differential until you get there, and it can be huge for families of 4 or 6 adults. I am not anti local discount pricing but the levels of difference can be alarming. I guess I am really saying the foreign prices are too high often not that they should not be applied.

And the best way of cheating the farang? Put the Thai prices in Thai numerals and the Farang prices in farang numerals. That way we won't know. So the other day whilst waiting for 30 minutes at Chiang Mai Zoo to get someone to give me permission to enter at the Thai price: I pointed out the different pricing to various foreign visitors. They were astounded by this trickery and one family walked away. This trick is used in numerous places. I personally don't care what happens elsewhere but I will not pay farang price. Especially in temples. As a Buddhist why should I pay more than Thai Buddhists? When I go shopping with my wife we find what we want and I then disappear. She buys at a lower price and then I reappear. On one occasion, I went back to the stall and the stall owner went wild when she found my wife had a foreign husband and demanded and extra 200 baht for a T shirt. In the end my wife got her money back because the stallholder would not give in and even called security. Too many dishonest people in Thailand ... too many thieves.

Been there,done that.Now i dont front up at all.Once,when i was bored,after wife bought T-shirt,i put it on,and went back in to buy another one.

The Thai numbers AREN'T that hard to learn. A 30-min TO-DO and that's if you're really slow... There are only 10 of 'em! (NOT saying you have to take on the whole written language- JUST try the numbers.) It's easy, and if there's a clock in your hotel room you may already have them in front of you all the time (er, sorry... tongue.png ). 'Worth doing even if you have to repeat the process at the beginning of every trip.

While you're at it, spend just a little more time, and learn the words, too (most foreigners seem to pick up early on counting verbally first anyway; they only have to match the numbers with the words they already know). Then just start looking for & recognizing them on the street, in signage, on your ATM slips, some store receipts & packaging, the currency, your cellphone, etc.! Finally: in many stores, restaurants & hotels, the staff will recite the bill amount, room nos. menu item nos. in thai (even if only to or among themselves) and maybe then in English - try and get used to catching it in thai, and handling these transactions - or at least the numerical parts of them - all in thai yourself. It's QUITE doable, with just a little effort, and you'll be much better equipped to handle the double-pricing thing, at least with many (if not most) vendors.

I would say Thailand and Thais need to change their attitude to foreign tourists,but "changing and attitude" are not really compatible in Thailand. Even if Tourist numbers keep dropping they wont change,more likely to increase the difference in prices.

I would say Thailand and Thais need to change their attitude to foreign tourists,but "changing and attitude" are not really compatible in Thailand. Even if Tourist numbers keep dropping they wont change,more likely to increase the difference in prices.

Very well. If that's their choice. Let's just sit back & see where it gets them. The "farang world" no longer sees Thailand through the dark & distorted lens of their countrymen disembarking square-riggers at the Bangkok waterfront after month-long transoceanic voyages and sending letters back home which take that long to arrive. And people aren't quite as irresistibly and moronically drawn to glitzy travel-posters promising tropical paradise as they used to be either. LOTS of critical info readily available. Thailand has been resting on its laurels, at least as far as tourists are concerned, for quite some time, but as unhappy as it makes foreigners who've come to Thailand and sunk their hard-earned savings into this & that, and want to see the value of their Thai assets preserved, and will therefore defend Thai business craziness & move mountains trying to prop up the whole LOS thing to the bitter end, that's all simply and obviously coming to an end.

Edited by hawker9000

I don't believe for a min that Dual Pricing is keeping tourists away.

I won't list what I think the reasons are ... just to avoid the inevitable "Thai Bashing" retorts from the usual.

Of course it's keeping people away. It pisses them off and they tell hundreds of people back home.

Expats or the frequent visitor can navigate around the nonsense.

When my sister came with her family for a visit, they scammed them left and right when I wasn't watching.

The first scam happened at the airport in the secure area when someone in a 'uniform' was trying to highjack them into a different hotel.

I was in the greeting line and was able to signal them to ignore the lowlife.

It was uncomfortable them to have to shake off a scammer walking around the secure area, uniform, badge etc.. Who needs that crap?

I stopped recommending Thailand a while ago because of all the predators.

Give Laos a try I tell them.

I'm getting a strong feeling that many of those "victims" of 2 tier pricing have actually contributed to or brought the situation upon themselves.

if you believe that it shows you are "out of touch" with Thailand and prices. Edited by kingalfred

I'm getting a strong feeling that many of those "victims" of 2 tier pricing have actually contributed to or brought the situation upon themselves.

if you believe that it shows you are "out of touch" with Thailand and prices.

Extremely unlikely, but you are of course basing your observation on??? nothing!

if you believe that it shows you are "out of touch" with Thailand and prices.

Extremely unlikely, but you are of course basing your observation on??? nothing!

evidence. Cant you read ? or is it all folks imagination?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can fully understand the logic whereby foreign tourists should pay more. But I suspect this kind of policy will cost more than it earns in revenue.

You want people to hate you from the bottom of their heart and soul and to deeply despise you forever?

Charge or tax them more because of their skin colour or race.

Yep that'll do it.

It does tick me of to. Even worse, the rudeness displayed when you show your Thai drivers license and they tell you to &lt;deleted&gt; Of. Rude and nasty. That is when I think who is the smartest? Falang land or 3rd world Thailand? Hmmm, at home I almost always tip 10% or more. Used to do the same in LOS. No more of that. My savings in tip make up for the rip off and the rudeness. Not fair? Nothing is!

In the Philippines as a foreigner you get a Sr. Citizen discount often without asking. They have respect for older people regardless of skin color or national origin. Of course there are scam artists in the PP but at least the law does not discriminate.

They only want to do something because although they are lying about tourist coming back they are not! This is a government and people who believe lying a little is o.k. just like excepting corruption.

As noted it is a mindset, even in the police station and hospital that charges you more is o.k., as recently as last month Bangkok/Hospital gave me a quote in writing for 15,000 for a procedure when i came back a week later to confirm the procedure the original doctor had overbook his day so I was told another doctor could do the procedure. After doing some paperwork I was told the charge will be 25,000, I pull out and gave her the slip of earlier quote and she/he came right out and say that is " Thai price " " you Falang " was was stunned knew and heard about it before never could confirm.

Here what is new... all smoke and mirror!

In Australia, it would cost me (as an Aus citizen) less for hospital visits than it would for foreigners.

You are totally disingenuous.

In Australia as a citizen you pay dearly for your health care via taxes collected.

Nothing is free and you know it or you are just plain dumb.

I think the latter more than the former.

Well, if I want to visit a Thai National park its my own wish so there is something in your logic that is true. I could have stayed home instead of getting scammed by the Thai government sponsored 2 tier pricing for visiting national parks.

They only want to do something because although they are lying about tourist coming back they are not! This is a government and people who believe lying a little is o.k. just like excepting corruption.

As noted it is a mindset, even in the police station and hospital that charges you more is o.k., as recently as last month Bangkok/Hospital gave me a quote in writing for 15,000 for a procedure when i came back a week later to confirm the procedure the original doctor had overbook his day so I was told another doctor could do the procedure. After doing some paperwork I was told the charge will be 25,000, I pull out and gave her the slip of earlier quote and she/he came right out and say that is " Thai price " " you Falang " was was stunned knew and heard about it before never could confirm.

Here what is new... all smoke and mirror!

In Australia, it would cost me (as an Aus citizen) less for hospital visits than it would for foreigners.

You are totally disingenuous.

In Australia as a citizen you pay dearly for your health care via taxes collected.

Nothing is free and you know it or you are just plain dumb.

I think the latter more than the former.

Exactly. Having said that if you are a Japanese tourist you will pay more for an opal, or will be directed to the more pricey shops, or pay more than necessary for an average item. But that's their choice. Hotel clerks etc simply facilitate this. I don't see dual pricing as a major ethical problem. You could argue that because Thais are paying fuel excise whenever they fill up their bikes, they should be entitled to lower prices when getting on a bus. Or if you are a local, (with card to prove it) then members rates may apply... where is the bias? I think some westerners may have emotions of over-entitlement.

The bigger issue is that dual pricing now extends into the health sector, where it inevitably becomes a barrier to foreigners in Thailand seeking medical care.

But, that has always been the case, right? The Thais have nationalized care. They are subsidized. So, why would they not have a different pricing structure for foreigners? I think the medical care here is quite reasonable. I will give you a good example. A good friend of mine had a serious motorcycle accident on Samui. What else is new? He needed 11 operations on his leg, over a period of three years. They thought he was going to lose his leg, but he is walking fine now. After the first procedure at Bangkok Hospital Samui, he needed a second procedure. They quoted him 1.4 million baht! He inquired in Bangkok, at a different private hospital, and was quoted 460,000 baht for the same procedure, including after care. He befriended a surgeon, who said he works at BHS, the hospital he inquired with in Bangkok, and also a public hospital in Bangkok. He said he could do the same procedure at the public hospital. They got an estimate, and it came back at 46,000 baht. He did that, and it was a success. Great care. Great surgery, etc. In the meantime, since he has a medical background, he called an orthopedic surgeon friend of his in the US, and asked him to give him a precise estimate of costs, if he had the same procedure done in the US, without insurance. All cash, with cash discounts. After a day the Dr. got back to him. Estimate was $962,000! So, health care here is quite reasonable. I am not complaining, nor will I! I come from a country with a completely broken medical system. The US. Not the best care by a long shot, but by far the most expensive.