uk tourist visa question

My gf and son where granted tourist visa's for the uk a few weeks ago.

when filling out the online form, we said would be staying for 14 weeks.

Whilst looking for flights I realised we could stay for Christmas, for only a small amount more,

so booked them.

This does mean we will be in the uk for 16 weeks now.

Do I have to inform them? or if not will it affect future applications?

Many thanks in advance.

You are not breaking any Immigration rules, or the conditions of the visa for staying a couple of weeks longer than your girlfriend indicated in her application.

But the Border Force Officer at the UK Border could ask your girlfriend some searching questions if he/she was concerned at the length of stay, the officer can access your girlfriends application.

Travel plans can and do vary, and the fact you got a decent priced ticket to include the holiday season might well be considered reasonable, especially as you seemed to have followed UKVI advice by not purchasing tickets until the visa was issued.

My only concern would be if your girlfriend gave reasons to return for the earlier date, if so the ECO could have approved the visa on the expectation she would return on the earlier date.

To be quite honest I don't think you will encounter a problem, and I don't think there would be any mileage in notifying the UKVI, just be prepared to answer the question if asked at the UK Border.

You say your son, doesn't he have a British Passport?

• Like 1

In addition to the above, staying longer than stated in the application could effect her credibility in any future application.

Particularly if she said, and produced evidence such as an employer's letter to confirm, that she must be back by a fixed date but returns after that date.

So, in her next application, if any, she should briefly explain why she stayed longer than originally stated for this visit, and how she was able to do so.

However, given the circumstances as you've described, I don't see a problem.

It's people who say they're only going to stay for a couple of weeks and then stay the full 6 months who are more likely to encounter future problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good replies, I will not say anything but be prepared to explain why.

We will be getting my son his passport when we go back. I was worried about waiting time for that.

When we applied the only reason we gave for returning was we might want to school are son in the uk in the future

so did not want to sacrifice that, and she is a single child and looks after her parents.

Guess we were lucky.

Knowing the requirements and common sense should get you a very long way for current and future applications.

How many people can get 3-6 months off? Not many, most not more then about a month in developed nations and in less developed nations holidays might be rather limited or non excistent. But ofcourse if people can explain why they go away for such a long time, there should be few worries (if the trip looks genuine and affordable). Problems occure when people apply for say 3-6 months but indicate they have a busy job to return too (which boss lets you go away for 6 months?), or if you apply for 2-4 weeks and then stay for a lot longer. Or if you say you must return by date X to attend work/school/something and then do not return before that date. Such odd behavaviour will raise questions and doubt. But if your application makes sense, looks genuine and affordable, chanches of success should be very very high. If plans things do change but you can provide a reasonable explination, there should be no worries for future applications.

Short answer: know (and meet) the rules, use common sense and you almost certainly should be part o the vast majority of people that are granted their (UK or whichever) visa. Hope your girl an son will enjoy their vacation! :)