Seven central Thai provinces warned of possible flooding

webfact

Seven central provinces warned of possible flooding

9-4-2014-3-38-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Seven central provinces located downstream of the Chao Phraya river have been warned to brace for water runoffs overflow river banks and possible flooding.

Mr Narongkorn Somton, director of the 12th irrigation office, said today that he had notified the governors of Chainat, Uthai Thani, Suphan Buri, Ang Thong, Sing Buri, Ayutthaya and Lop Buri warning them of possible flooding as the volume of water passing through the Chao Phraya dam has increased steadily.

The flow of water through Nakhon Sawan dam is expected to increase to 1,300-1,500 cubic metres per second from 896 cubic metres by September 8 and this will bring the volumn of water going through Chao Phraya dam up to 1,400-1,500 cubic metres/second from 631 cubic metres/second.

As a result, Mr Narongkorn said that the level of Chao Phraya river in Chainat was expected to rise by two metres whereas in Ayutthaya the level would rise by one metre and this would bring the water level up to the river banks.

As a precaution, he suggested residents living along the river banks to move their valuables to higher ground and to closely monitor water situation updates.

It was reported that water runoffs had inundated Tambon Hua Wiang, Sena district of Ayutthaya since Wednesday night.

Mrs Ladda Artsonthi who lives along the river bank said the water level at her house was half a metre deep.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-central-provinces-warned-possible-flooding/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-04

They never learn and the same crap happens every year....................yawnclap2.gif Might be nice to know where the so called funds went from the last government that was supposed to fix this yearly problem.

Edited by Eddy B

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Situation normal - these locations flood almost every year as they are very low-lying. In comparison to the great flood, Nakorn Sawan was under 2m of water at this time in 2011

Exactly, I know I have a home in Nakhon Sawan, and it was flooded because some one forgot to open the Flood Gates , so Bangkok would not be under water, but then again Bangkok was under water, because some one forgot that that raining season was upon them again, and during the non-raining season did nothing to prevent from happening again, Ping and Nan rivers empty into the Chao Phraya river from the North and that's not counting the various other Rivers that empty into these Rivers from the North. SAME SAME every year.

How long does it take a Monkey to realize , that a Banana is a food source ?????

Edited by nitehawk56

7 provinces below Chao Phraya Dam warned of deluge on Sep 8

PNSOC570904001012701.jpg

CHAI NAT, 4 September 2014 (NNT) – Irrigation authorities have cautioned seven central provinces along the Chao Phraya River to brace for possible flooding this September 8 due to runoff from upstream areas.

The director of the Royal Irrigation Office 12 stated that a flood warning has been issued for a total of seven provinces located downstream from the Chao Phraya Dam, consisting of Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya and Lop Buri. The warning indicates that on September 8 the northern runoff is expected to cause the amount of water flowing into the Chao Phraya Dam to increase significantly.

As a consequence, the dam would have to adjust the rate of discharge up from 631 cubic meters per second to 1,400-1,600 cubic meters, causing the water level in downstream sections of the Chao Phraya to climb. A rise of two meters could be seen in Chai Nat and one meter in Ayutthaya. Moreover, the Noi River in Ang Thong and Ayutthaya could be on the verge of overflowing.

Residents in the seven provinces whose homes and businesses are located adjacent to the rivers have been urged to move their belongings up high and off the ground to minimize damages from the flood. They are also advised to closely monitor the water situation. Disaster relief officials, meanwhile, are fully ready to provide assistance for those in need.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-05 footer_n.gif

Been away from home for a couple of days so haven't kept a daily record of river level at Singburi but on Monday it was at 5.2m and this morning (Friday) it is at 7.3m.

No risk of floods here till it gets over 10m so still a long way to go.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Situation normal - these locations flood almost every year as they are very low-lying. In comparison to the great flood, Nakorn Sawan was under 2m of water at this time in 2011

Exactly, I know I have a home in Nakhon Sawan, and it was flooded because some one forgot to open the Flood Gates , so Bangkok would not be under water, but then again Bangkok was under water, because some one forgot that that raining season was upon them again, and during the non-raining season did nothing to prevent from happening again, Ping and Nan rivers empty into the Chao Phraya river from the North and that's not counting the various other Rivers that empty into these Rivers from the North. SAME SAME every year.

How long does it take a Monkey to realize , that a Banana is a food source ?????

And hyacinth could be a valuable source of compost, methane or ethanol. AND the money was voted to pull it all out 2 years ago!

Which government was in two years ago, I keep forgetting?

i"t was reported that water runoffs had inundated Tambon Hua Wiang, Sena district of Ayutthaya since Wednesday night."

We live in Sena , I spoke to the missus today and she didn't mention it , I called her again and asked if the flooding was bad and she said just normal water levels for this time of year, not even on the roads yet

So, today is the 4th. The run-off will begin on the 8th so they will have to increase the discharge from the dam. Why not raise the discharge slightly now rather than upping it to danger level on the 8th ? Or is that just too logical ?

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing

When logic meets culture, culture wins..

And hyacinth could be a valuable source of compost, methane or ethanol. AND the money was voted to pull it all out 2 years ago!

Which government was in two years ago, I keep forgetting?

Water hyacinth is an invasive weed and unless a vigorous control program is maintained, it will return as fast as they can clear it. Many klongs in the Pathumthani system are partially clogged with this noxious weed. Until serious thought is given to removing, composting and possibly utilizing this waste, as the above poster has pointed out, it will continue to maintain its grip on the waterway systems surrounding Bangkok and other areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichhornia_crassipes post-9891-0-20671000-1409969261.jpg

So, today is the 4th. The run-off will begin on the 8th so they will have to increase the discharge from the dam. Why not raise the discharge slightly now rather than upping it to danger level on the 8th ? Or is that just too logical ?

They have.

Water level downstream from the dam has risen 70cm in the last 24hrs.