day old cooked rice reheated

padsterj

what a lot of fuss about rice.... yes cook rice every 4th day, the other 3 days is warmed up in microwave rice, me perfectly fine and been doing this for 11 years here...

The biggest shock for me back then was Meat at the markets, laying in the sun all day + flies, maybe even bigger shock was the open pickup's with all types of meat in plastic sacks laying in the back.. in the West years ago understood chicken must be refrigerated at all times, yet here tastes fine after being in a plastic bag in the sun most of the day..

There again Thailand is not the only place, have lived in other Countries that are/were the same

Hooray, wind sanitation back to the 1900's. In the restaurant business you would be put in jail and rightly so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_analysis_and_critical_control_points

Food safety guidelines apply where food is prepared, cooked, stored, displayed or moved. The critical factors for food quality and safety are temperature and pH. Temperature is the single most important factor which keeps pathogens like bacteria under control.

High risk foods are foods where bacteria may multiply if the food is stored at the wrong temperature. They include meat, chicken, seafoods, eggs, smallgoods and diary products. They also include salad vegetables and any prepared food containing combinations of these products. Generally bacteria will grow and multiply at between 5 deg C and 60 deg C so this is the danger zone to avoid or minimize.

post-187908-0-37885600-1410587321_thumb.

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray, wind sanitation back to the 1900's.

OK ​Yes.. far less people were ever Sick, and there was No refrigerators back then

The United States itself has a long history of deadly foodborne disease outbreaks. Some of the deadliest outbreaks reported occurred in the early 1900s. Outbreaks in 1911 and 1922 were caused by streptococcus in raw milk and, when combined, resulted in 70 deaths and over 2,400 illnesses. In 1919, canned olives contributed to a severe outbreak of botulism; this outbreak forced a necessary change in canning methods to protect the public health. The deadliest outbreak in U.S. history, which occurred in 1924-1925, was caused by oysters that were harvested from water exposed to sewage. Typhi bacteria in the water contaminated the oysters and, of the 1,500 people who fell ill, 150 ultimately died.

http://www.thefoodpoisoninglawyers.com/history-of-food-poisoning-in-the-united-states

In the West there was always refrigeration because of the availability of ice (It keeps all summer if held correctly). In restaurants meat was used within hours of slaughter.

Food poisoning killed far more people, percentage wise back in the good old days than now because now education and refrigeration dominate most intelligent homes and businesses (Thai Visa posters excepted of course).

How's that for cooking as brown rice usually require double the water content of white rice?

Notice the difference in water levels. Mixed rice and brown rice use the same level except many brown rices suggest soaking in water for a few hours.

I've never seen one like that.

MissFarmGirl recommends soaking Brown Rice overnight, or, as thailiketoo suggests above, at least a few hours.

Our Young Boys (7 months) are eating Brown Rice ATM (with veges) as it's good for them, as opposed to White rice.

When I cook Brown Rice in the West, I use 1 1/2 times the recommended water for that of White Rice.

How's that for cooking as brown rice usually require double the water content of white rice?

Notice the difference in water levels. Mixed rice and brown rice use the same level except many brown rices suggest soaking in water for a few hours.

I've never seen one like that.

MissFarmGirl recommends soaking Brown Rice overnight, or, as thailiketoo suggests above, at least a few hours.

Our Young Boys (7 months) are eating Brown Rice ATM (with veges) as it's good for them, as opposed to White rice.

When I cook Brown Rice in the West, I use 1 1/2 times the recommended water for that of White Rice.

Check out the water levels for white, brown, Jasmine and Japanese rice. Right Toshiba, left Hitachi rice cookers.

post-187908-0-87958300-1410591372_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

what a lot of fuss about rice.... yes cook rice every 4th day, the other 3 days is warmed up in microwave rice, me perfectly fine and been doing this for 11 years here...

The biggest shock for me back then was Meat at the markets, laying in the sun all day + flies, maybe even bigger shock was the open pickup's with all types of meat in plastic sacks laying in the back.. in the West years ago understood chicken must be refrigerated at all times, yet here tastes fine after being in a plastic bag in the sun most of the day..

There again Thailand is not the only place, have lived in other Countries that are/were the same

As for the flies, usually not too many of them at Thai markets.

That was the good news.

And now for the bad news.

Recently there was an article in the press about FORMOL.

And how do you like the oysters? Taken out of their shells, in plastic bags?

Actually, I eat all that, and more, it is tasty & cheap, and much to my surprise, I never got sick????

That was the good news.

Actually, I eat all that, and more, it is tasty & cheap, and much to my surprise, I never got sick????

Are you being sarcastic? Or are you suggesting modern science is all wrong? Or Thai Visa posters are immune from the same realities that confront most humans?

We bought the Royal Umbrella rice, double the price of other brands.

FIRST - sorry, again, repeating myself, - the good news.

Real upmarket plastic bag.

Real nice printing on the bag.

Export award.

Promoted by Yingluck - when she was still in a position to promote anything.

Wife really proud when she asked the shopkeeper "what is the most expensive brand you sell".?

NEXT: Can you imagine how I felt ? ME, a farang who studied marketing, friends tell me I am more German than the average German, no, I am not German, get it, it is a prejudice?, I'm just saying this required A MAJOR EFFORT from me, and what was the result?

CONCLUSION:

Sure I can eat it, even if the price is double the regular rice, but as my wife said QUOTE next week in Belgium we will buy Basmati UNQUOTE

My wife is Thai.

That was the good news.

Are you being sarcastic? Or are you suggesting modern science is all wrong? Or Thai Visa posters are immune from the same realities that confront most humans?

1/No, I am not being sarcastic.

2/I am wondering how this is possible, as I see no logical explanation, unless the answer is POISON.

3/ euhhhhh are you the statistics expert / Thai apologist that blocked me? Or do I confuse you with some other poster? If you are, please block me again, if you are not, please accept my apologies for confusing you with a nutter.

Seriously.

All left-over food should be stored in the fridge especially beef,pork etc......maybe try & show her on Youtube what can come of someone who eats 3 day old food,she might be shocked!....well it might be a good start. Good luck!

tried that as far as she is concerned the world is wrong and she is right,as far as putting the food in the fridge for the moment it is happening due to another irritation lol, ANTS the really small ones, there getting all over the food ect, so she has now started putting it in the fridge and she says we throw away what we dont eat. lol I try my damnedest to make her understand and its ants that make her do it dont figure.

• Like 1

It's not really that difficult to understand. The Bacillus "U can't B. Cerius" is actually quite rare.. Mostly the fuss is necessary in an industrial kitchen environment.

The spores don't die at 100 deg. cooking temperature. Once activated the spores spawn the live bacteria which will produce the poisonous endotoxins even while refrigerated. The poisons are not deactivated by high temperatures, so reheating may kill the live bacteria but the poisons will remain toxic. If you get it you will puke and have diarrhea severely. It is quite rare and accounts for less than 7% of food born illnesses.

Imagine a large camp cantine where the "smart" cook kept a large batch of steamed rice in the refrigerator for three days, and then served up a batch of "American Fried Rice" from it to 700 people. If he was really unlucky... he'd have seven hundred people spewing from both ends... and he'd get fired. +- 7% chance.

It is rare, however industrial kitchens have a three day rule because of this, and I personally use a 12 hour rule.

It's not rocket science.... now everybody go back and enjoy your rewarmed, or fried, day old refrigerated rice. OK?

Most Thai women can sniff the rice cooker bowl and decide if it's "wooot" or not, and I've never heard of anybody getting "Fried Rice Syndrome" in Thailand. There are plenty of other things that'll get ya first, as B. Cerius is quite rare.

YES: I am really bored with Thai rice, and I do much prefer Basmati from India. The last time I found it was 80 baht per kilo!

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

Fried rice is a common cause of food poisoning due to B. cereus. Fried rice may contain high levels of B. cereus because of the long period between boiling the rice and consumption after frying.

How can the risk of infection with Bacillus cereus be minimised?

Keep prepared foods under refrigeration (5°C) until you are ready to serve.
Keep hot foods at a temperature greater than 60°C.
Try to avoid preparing foods too far in advance.
For heated products that are going to be eaten at a later time ensure that the product is correctly cooled after cooking.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/science/science-in-focus/foodborne-illness-pathogens/bacillus-cereus#.VBROB2Mxjh0

The only fatalities I can recall were five children from a Belgian family. I believe it was 2003 or thereabouts. Maybe we have a Belgian poster who can provide some more information.

I think in the west we have become a little too paranoid about food expiry dates.

Those are actually "sell by" dates - the date the manufacturer recommends the product be sold to guarantee optimal freshness and flavor. Most packaged food is safe to eat long after the sell-by date, and some things, like condiments that contain a lot of sugar or vinegar, are perfectly edible more than a year after their sell-by date. People are foolish to dump out a liter of milk that looks, tastes and smells fine just because it's a few days past the sell-by date.

Back to the OP, my family does the same thing although the rice stays in the cooker on warm all night long to help keep it mostly sterile. Whatever isn't eaten by next mid-day goes into the dog's dish.

Fried rice is best made from day-old desiccated cooked rice. If the rice has too much moisture, it'll turn to mush when you try to fry it.

Now, in the west it is recommended that parents do not raise children in such a sterile environment and give them a chance to build an immunity to many things that make our generation ill today.

Recommended by whom?

Edited by attrayant

Got to be dumber than dirt to leave chicken on the table for 3 days, then eat it.

Pretty common around here.

often makes me wonder about the food stalls with duck hanging and chicken hanging in a glass cabinet, they cut some off then put rest back in the glass, yet I never seem to get ill from it,I'll bet its not put in a fridge over night, in fact they probably just wheel the cart home put in garden and cover with a tarp till next day lol.

Most likely the food moves quickly - or at least quickly enough that most people won't get too sick from it. 60°C is the magic number - below that bacteria starts to multiply pretty rapidly and at about 33°C (common temperatures in the daytime open air) it's like a mini-cambrian explosion of bacteria. The US FDA recommends food be discarded after sitting at or above this temperature for one hour or longer.

As some of the stories from other posters have shown, Thai people seem to accept this as part of daily life. Occasionally you'll get the Hershey Squirts, be on the toilet for a few days and then life goes on. Besides what are the options? Force street vendors to buy refrigeration units? Outlaw street vendors altogether (as most western countries do)? That will just never happen. I bet that Thailand could have its own Typhoid Mary incident and still nothing would be done.

Edited by attrayant

Always made me smile....... used to buy a cooked chicken from Waitrose, in UK [silly bit was cheaper than buying a uncooked one]

anyway look on the foil package they put it in, said Products of Thailand, then states keep in refrigerator, eat withing 24 hours.. never did as a full chicken lasted 3 or 4 days for me.. no idea if still the same ? last time I was in UK was 2003..

Guess I'm lucky - always stored in zip locks or rubber maid + in the fridge - and ANYTHING out aged = gone and all exp dates are watched before purchase and consumption.....rice seems pretty ?indestructable?....have seen it drying in the PI on the roads wth exhaust fumes...the wife has been great at adapting to the proper refrigeration and aging pretty well - our rice cooker is too big for two but always churns out a full pot - not sure if it goes in us or binned (no dogs)....I don't eat chicken - when she gets it and cooks she puts it in the unused oven to store during the day - seems OK to/for her - if I find it later in the day I stick in the fridge <> anything I am unsure about if out goes in the fridge - probably a good teaching tool (without a word)....If we walk around the local markets that are stifling and I look at the food that has been sitting there in the heat and fumes all day as well as pawed by how many unwashed hands and wonder how people can eat it and survive - but they do - for how long I don't know....she buys in season veggies and fruits sometimes if we happen to go and are looking for something (usually dry goods that I wouldn't have thought existed there - like for crocheting or painting)......

Tried the meat from the huge daily market in CM once........big mistake - good price but big mistake (the one next to the US consolate)

We mostly buy from Makro for cooking veggies and fruits & Rimping for meats...I feel better thinking they've been handled better (think so - less reaction).....I think astute shopping is also important......

Thai's are funny - but once the logic of whatever situation sets in it's etched in stone.....we constantly amaze/surprise each other - and that's a good thing......

Yes, my family leaves food out under one of those basket-work food covers. But anything close to expire date is about to turn into poison. The food left out used to worry me to death. Some families do & some don't. Depends how many years the house matriarch has had a fridge. I have given up worrying about food left out. They seem to have a system and I have never been sick. Rice left in the rice cooker overnight is fine. I used to worry about chicken, pork & fish but they cook at such high temperatures everything that could kill me seems to be dead when it is cooked.

Has anyone pondered the magical difference in storage life in a refrigerator between the shelves and the door? Things cooked and placed on the shelves are good for approximately three days, while stuff put in the little shelves in the door have a useable life span measured in years. All of the sauces and other goodies that are not needed everyday somehow seem to last forever in the door. I wonder how this works. Is there some magical property that comes form being stored in the door that makes things last longer?

Yes. You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. However, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.

How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

Symptoms of food poisoning

If you eat rice that contains Bacillus cereus bacteria you may be sick and experience vomiting or diarrhoea about 1-5 hours afterwards. Symptoms are relatively mild and usually last about 24 hours.

Tips on serving rice safely
  • ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked
  • if that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour)
  • keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating
  • when you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through
  • do not reheat rice more than once

Viewers!

You do have to be very careful eating rice that has been left for 24 hours or more! Rice is so cheap in Thailand,i live alone and never buy cooked rice from a market etc.I bought myself a small rice cooker ( i use it every day ) I also steam vegetables too on a daily basis ( delicious may i add... ) Really you should just make enough rice for what you need for the day just to be safe! I have had loads of " bacteria problems " living in Thailand and you really do need to be careful! ( also you should wash and soak the rice before cooking it ! )

Farang Jaidee ( The galloping gourmet ..) thumbsup.gif