day old cooked rice reheated

padsterj

'Why does she sit on the floor instead of at the table'...This is a quite worrying question. How long have you been in Asia? Surely you've noticed that many different Asian cultures enjoy sitting on the floor for numerous reasons...

1. Sitting on the floor allows everybody to sit together and share the food easily.( a central part of Asian culture)

2. A sign of status: If entering a persons house its polite to sit on the floor in order to show respect to the owners of the house OR a younger person will sit on the floor'below' an older person.

3. Its ingrained in the culture from the past. ie. people always sat on the floor...

4. Most Thai people clean the floor at least twice a day. The floor is clean and therefore good to sit on...

The list goes on...You need to realise that your partner comes from a different planet to you. You will have to accept some of these differences and learn to respect them. This is especially important if you live in Thailand. If your at home, then you can try to enforce some of your cultural norms on her.(good luck with that!)/.........

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago my wife and I got violently ill from some market food. Vomiting and diarrhea for 3 days. When we recovered 3 days later we went to the market for some food. My wife went straight back to the same stall and started ordering. I asked her "Darl, we got sick from the food here last time, Is this a good idea?".

Her reply...............

"Yes, but wasn't it tasty". I give up.

'Why does she sit on the floor instead of at the table'...This is a quite worrying question. How long have you been in Asia? Surely you've noticed that many different Asian cultures enjoy sitting on the floor for numerous reasons...

1. Sitting on the floor allows everybody to sit together and share the food easily.( a central part of Asian culture)

2. A sign of status: If entering a persons house its polite to sit on the floor in order to show respect to the owners of the house OR a younger person will sit on the floor'below' an older person.

3. Its ingrained in the culture from the past. ie. people always sat on the floor...

4. Most Thai people clean the floor at least twice a day. The floor is clean and therefore good to sit on...

The list goes on...You need to realise that your partner comes from a different planet to you. You will have to accept some of these differences and learn to respect them. This is especially important if you live in Thailand. If your at home, then you can try to enforce some of your cultural norms on her.(good luck with that!)/.........

This is a quite worrying answer.

Do you have a WP for teaching?

If the wife can eat day old rice left in a rice cooker and not get sick you cant complian, time you learned how to cook and feed yourself old chum.

I see your point, but I enjoy eating TOGETHER, and there is no way I will eat old tasteless rice.

Brown Thai rice at least has taste, but no Thai will eat it. Regularly I cook some, but my wife's face then tells a story.....

My wife will only eat hand pounded brown rice. So I guess not all Thais eh?

we only eat brown rice in our home too. wife won't touch white rice....kao neow sometimes...brown kao neow when we can get it. so yes, not all Thais.

Hey ... while we are discussing 'Brown Rice' ... I heard it described here before as 'Prison Rice' ... as in it's what they feed to boys on the inside.

Any truth to that?

As a pleasant side note ... my partner, even though I am not there, feeds brown rice with veges to our 6 month old boys.

She 'discovered' it while in the West.

Her parents won't eat it ... but it is being consumed in the shared household.

I have also heard that prisoners were given brown rice.

We use a mixed bag of white and brown.

• Like 1

Hey ... while we are discussing 'Brown Rice' ... I heard it described here before as 'Prison Rice' ... as in it's what they feed to boys on the inside.

Any truth to that?

As a pleasant side note ... my partner, even though I am not there, feeds brown rice with veges to our 6 month old boys.

Some hospitals also serve brown rice, although I have never seen a Thai eat par-boiled rice.

The problem with rice is it often contains bacterial spores which are not killed by the initial cooking temperature of 100 deg. C. After cooking the bacteria is activated and certain strains specific to rice (B. cereus) are psychotropic bacteria which continue to grow even at temperatures under 7 deg. C. They can grow in both refrigerated and warm rice. When they grow they will produce an endotoxin which is not deactivated by reheating, even up to very high temperatures.

Put another way:

• Bacterial spores in the rice are activated by initial cooking, not killed.
  • Refrigerating rice may not prevent the bacteria in it from continuing to grow.
  • Endotoxins produced by the bacteria may not be deactivated by frying or reheating the rice.
  • If a person eats the poisoned rice they will experience both diarrhea and vomiting anywhere from 1-16 hours afterward (It can take up to 16 hours to make a person ill).
Edited by 96tehtarp

Same thing with my wife, she is just simply uncapable of preparing small portions of food....

Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked, fancy eating it the day after.

We have very happy (and fat) dogs though!

"Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked,..."

Depends on what strain of rice you eat... Hom Mali 105 is the BEST rice I have eaten (After a year storage, minimal 7 months).

But I do agreed if it is Khor Kor 15 strain, not nice even after long storage to mature the paddy.

The above mentioned refer to steam rice... not sticky rice.

...and I'm Asian grew up eating rice... not potatoes...

How can I recognise this particular rice? Where to buy it? Any brandnames?

Thanks!

Same thing with my wife, she is just simply uncapable of preparing small portions of food....

Depends on what strain of rice you eat... Hom Mali 105 is the BEST rice I have eaten (After a year storage, minimal 7 months).

But I do agreed if it is Khor Kor 15 strain, not nice even after long storage to mature the paddy.

Thanks!

It can be easily found everywhere in Thailand. Just ask someone in the rice section of your supermarket. Ask for "Hom Mali" sounds the way it's spelled. Buy the most expensive brand you can find. It's sold everywhere in 5kg bags.

• Like 2

We also eat nothing but brown rice in our family. The g/f and her entire family (except one aunt who only eats sticky rice - never steamed rice) eats only brown rice. We even take our own brown rice with us when we go to the beach for the months of March-April and arrange for wherever we stay to cook the rice for us every couple of days. But we always store the cooked rice in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The poster who said "Brown Thai rice at least has taste, but no Thai will eat it." is totally off base and may not know all that many Thais.

Thanks!

It can be easily found everywhere in Thailand. Just ask someone in the rice section of your supermarket. Ask for "Hom Mali" sounds the way it's spelled. Buy the most expensive brand you can find. It's sold everywhere in 5kg bags.

I will give it a try - I hope the marketing guys are not reading your post >>> buy the most expensive brand you can find <<<

We also eat nothing but brown rice in our family. The g/f and her entire family (except one aunt who only eats sticky rice - never steamed rice) eats only brown rice. We even take our own brown rice with us when we go to the beach for the months of March-April and arrange for wherever we stay to cook the rice for us every couple of days. But we always store the cooked rice in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The poster who said "Brown Thai rice at least has taste, but no Thai will eat it." is totally off base and may not know all that many Thais.

DEUUUUHHHH I have already admitted that "no Thais" should be replaced by "only 1 % of Thais", and I have even offered a compromise at 2%.

could always increase your rice intake...

use in lieu of cereal

use in lieu of dessert - just add some milk'n'honey

use in lieu of dessicant (use to dry out mobile phones that have gotten wet)...

...probably more uses than WD-40 if we thought hard enough

I used rice instead of WD-40 on my squeaky window hinges. It worked! They don't squeak anymore, but the windows don't close either. Thanks for nothing, man.

T

• Like 1

Thanks!

I have never thought of it since I move to Thailand..... Sorry, because I lease my plot to the UIL and get a third of the harvest every year. I eat the past year stock and let the newly harvest mature. What ever I don't eat is sold and my wife use the money to buy Sticky rice.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I have never thought of it since I move to Thailand..... Sorry, because I lease my plot to the UIL and get a third of the harvest every year. I eat the past year stock and let the newly harvest mature. What ever I don't eat is sold and my wife use the money to buy Sticky rice.

• Like 1

We eat brown rice also - supposed to be healthier....

It IS healthier.

But I stay with my statement: Thais don't like brown rice.

Ever got brown rice in a restaurant?

But feel free to accuse me of gross generalising.

I have admitted before, that my statement applies to less than 100% of Thais (probably only 99%, we could compromise on 98%).

Not different from Europe:

Poor people used to eat brown (cheap) bread, the ruling class ate white (expensive) bread.

As the poor got less poor, they started to prefer white bread, as a status symbol.

Nowadays the educated eat brown bread (healthier).

And -how typical - brown bread is now more expensive than white bread, same with sugar or rice, although it is an extra cost to refine these products.

You wrote, "Ever got brown rice in a restaurant?" There are 102 Fuji restaurants in Thailand I believe they all have at least 3 or 4 different brown rice dishes on the menu.

post-187908-0-44165700-1410018824_thumb.

Thanks!

Fruit straight from a tree tastes different from fruit from a supermarket.....

Maybe the same for rice?

102 Fuji restaurants - sounds very Thai - as compared to a million of Thai restaurants and foodstalls.

In a previous post I indicated I was willing to compromise at 2%, I take that offer back.

Who do you think eats at Fuji? The customer base is 99% Thai. Also It looks to me like MK also has a brown rice dish but I'm not sure; emperor rice if my memory is correct. Suffice it to say the great majority of Thais eat both brown and white rice along with many other varieties.

Edited by thailiketoo

I find Thai people stick to one brand of rice. My family won't Hom Maili, they says it's hard. My second wife's mother would only eat "broken: rice. I eat them all, even Basmati rice if I could find it here. Italian rice is also good. I enjoy a good risotto. Then there is wild long grain brown and red rice. It's all good.

On a more practical note, most Thai towns have a rice shop that will be happy to sell 50+ varieties by the liter. It's possible to buy 1 liter of several varieties and try them all out.

Brown rice in our home didn't go over too well, and they soon switched back to their favorite brand. They're quite finicky about it.

Reheating or keeping rice warm for extended periods of time is common practices in Thailand and I see no problem, if there was there would be a lot of gastroenteritis and other forms of food poisoning about.

On reflection I have always suffered a tummy upset every time I went to Spain yet hardly ever on my visits to Thailand, I just think some people are overcautious.

Welcome to the 19th Century

History
• First discovered in 1880
• 1950 many outbreaks from meat and vegetable soups, cooked meat and poultry, fish, milk and ice cream were
described in Europe
• In 1969, the first well-characterized B. cereus outbreak in the USA was documented.

Bacillus cereus is an endemic, soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped, motile, beta hemolytic bacterium. Some strains are harmful to humans and cause foodborne illness, while other strains can be beneficial as probiotics for animals.[1] It is the cause of "fried rice syndrome", as the bacteria are classically contracted from fried rice dishes that have been sitting at room temperature for hours.

Your anecdotal evidence is hooey.

Fruit straight from a tree tastes different from fruit from a supermarket.....

Maybe the same for rice?

Being a Chinese, I eat rice all my life. Grow up eating Royal Umbrella Jasmine rice...milled aged and pack in plastic bag 5 kg export. Move here permanently 7 years ago, have been eating aged Hom Mali (found out back then Jasmine rice is Hom Mali) Which is store in 50kg polymer sacks. Taste the same to me.

The opposite applies to sticky rice, the new rice from harvest is best, quality deteriorate when aged.

This is a quite worrying answer.

Do you have a WP for teaching?

I made a mistake and wrote 'question' instead of answer. Don't be so pedantic. This is a forum for gods sake. I don't spend all my time proof reading this shit. I have to teach!

• Like 1

I made a mistake and wrote 'question' instead of answer. Don't be so pedantic. This is a forum for gods sake.

I don't spend all my time proof reading this shit.

I have to teach!

claffey, a like for making me the first to smile this morning ... laugh.png

• Like 1

I made a mistake and wrote 'question' instead of answer. Don't be so pedantic. This is a forum for gods sake.

I don't spend all my time proof reading this shit.

I have to teach!

claffey, a like for making me the first to smile this morning ... laugh.png

David, did you understand my reply?

I do not mean to insult you, most probably you were busy with something else and did not read the post and my reaction attentively, OR, you were being sarcastic (I hope so).

I NEVER critisised claffey for mixing up the words 'question' and 'answer'.

As a matter of fact, claffey DID NOT mix up those 2 words.

But yes I did critisise claffey.

David, read it again, OR just enjoy the fact that I have difficulties with understanding your sarcasm.

• Like 1

Any truth to that?

How's that for cooking as brown rice usually require double the water content of white rice?

• Like 1

How's that for cooking as brown rice usually require double the water content of white rice?

Notice the difference in water levels. Mixed rice and brown rice use the same level except many brown rices suggest soaking in water for a few hours.

post-187908-0-94469900-1410585283_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

what a lot of fuss about rice.... yes cook rice every 4th day, the other 3 days is warmed up in microwave rice, me perfectly fine and been doing this for 11 years here...

The biggest shock for me back then was Meat at the markets, laying in the sun all day + flies, maybe even bigger shock was the open pickup's with all types of meat in plastic sacks laying in the back.. in the West years ago understood chicken must be refrigerated at all times, yet here tastes fine after being in a plastic bag in the sun most of the day..

There again Thailand is not the only place, have lived in other Countries that are/were the same