day old cooked rice reheated

padsterj

I have a different solution for the OP.

When I live in Thailand, I stay at the gf's Parents Farm.

They don't just have 1 rice cooker ... they have 2 rice cookers cooking simultaneously.

Many hungry mouths to feed.

A big bowl of rice doesn't last more then a day.

Once it starts to get to the bottom of the barrel off it goes to the dogs with what ever can be spared from the kitchen table.

The solution for the OP ... get lot's of relatives to come eat at your table ... the rice will always be fresh then!

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well she will have done/eaten this way this all her life and she is still alive so can't be much wrong with it (joking), but if this is the sticky/glutonous usually rice rolled in a ball to eat, i believe it is fine keeps for days for days. staple food of peasants.

Sticky Rice ... 'staple food of peasants' ... oh the ignominy ... facepalm.gif

Same thing with my wife, she is just simply uncapable of preparing small portions of food....

Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked, fancy eating it the day after.

We have very happy (and fat) dogs though!

"Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked,..."

Depends on what strain of rice you eat... Hom Mali 105 is the BEST rice I have eaten (After a year storage, minimal 7 months).

But I do agreed if it is Khor Kor 15 strain, not nice even after long storage to mature the paddy.

The above mentioned refer to steam rice... not sticky rice.

...and I'm Asian grew up eating rice... not potatoes...

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

Same thing with my wife, she is just simply uncapable of preparing small portions of food....

Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked, fancy eating it the day after.

We have very happy (and fat) dogs though!

"Thai rice is bad enough when freshly cooked,..."

Depends on what strain of rice you eat... Hom Mali 105 is the BEST rice I have eaten (After a year storage, minimal 7 months).

But I do agreed if it is Khor Kor 15 strain, not nice even after long storage to mature the paddy.

The above mentioned refer to steam rice... not sticky rice.

...and I'm Asian grew up eating rice... not potatoes...

When we are in Europe, my wife never buys Thai rice, always basmati.....

If the wife can eat day old rice left in a rice cooker and not get sick you cant complian, time you learned how to cook and feed yourself old chum.

I see your point, but I enjoy eating TOGETHER, and there is no way I will eat old tasteless rice.

Brown Thai rice at least has taste, but no Thai will eat it. Regularly I cook some, but my wife's face then tells a story.....

If the wife can eat day old rice left in a rice cooker and not get sick you cant complian, time you learned how to cook and feed yourself old chum.

I see your point, but I enjoy eating TOGETHER, and there is no way I will eat old tasteless rice.

Brown Thai rice at least has taste, but no Thai will eat it. Regularly I cook some, but my wife's face then tells a story.....

My wife will only eat hand pounded brown rice. So I guess not all Thais eh?

Thai people do not seem to get ill from eating food that has been stored without refrigeration,or even food that is "tainted" by western standards.

I believe it is because they have eaten tainted food all of their lives and their systems have no problem with it.

Westerners like us who were raised in a very clean environment with only fresh food to eat have no resistance to the microbes or whatever it is that on older food that makes us sick.

It works for them but we must be careful.

Now, in the west it is recommended that parents do not raise children in such a sterile environment and give them a chance to build an immunity to many things that make our generation ill today.

In their own way, the Thais are doing the correct thing for them, but it is not so good for us.

I even know older Thais that refuse to eat any food that has been in a refrigerator!

I think it is all a matter of what you and your body are use to.

• Like 1

Thai people do not seem to get ill from eating food that has been stored without refrigeration,or even food that is "tainted" by western standards.

I believe it is because they have eaten tainted food all of their lives and their systems have no problem with it.

Westerners like us who were raised in a very clean environment with only fresh food to eat have no resistance to the microbes or whatever it is that on older food that makes us sick.

It works for them but we must be careful.

Now, in the west it is recommended that parents do not raise children in such a sterile environment and give them a chance to build an immunity to many things that make our generation ill today.

In their own way, the Thais are doing the correct thing for them, but it is not so good for us.

I even know older Thais that refuse to eat any food that has been in a refrigerator!

I think it is all a matter of what you and your body are use to.

My first wife was a farm girl from the South of the USA and her family did the same thing. It is a country farmer thing.

I believe the only way your body builds up an immunity is by having a good immune system.

My wife gets food poisoning all the time because she eats junk at work. Old people in America get sick all the time because they eat early bird specials which are food left over from the day before and re heated.

CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases.

The predominant language in American kitchens is Spanish and it's not like there is much education going on.

If you poop and don't wash your hands and then toss salad with your hands you are probably going to make someone sick in any country.

The biggest problem is likely hand washing as opposed to refrigeration but both can work together to create a problem. Thais are lucky in that they don't eat many dairy products.

I still haven't figured out why America and Canada (?) insist on refrigerating eggs in the grocery store. Health inspector will shut you down if eggs are not kept cold. How about the Europe and the UK? Are Americans the only ones who get sick from warm eggs?

Edited by thailiketoo

Plenty do. It runs out quite quickly at our local food court. Bit if a hi so food these days given its health benefits. Not a food for poor farmers and prisoners any more.

Time to take a cooking class...the day old rice is the base ingredient of all the great thai stir fried rice dishes such as

chicken, pork, vegetarian.....khao pad dishes, (krapao or otherwise)...nice image here...http://www.123rf.com/photo_27198540_fried-rice-with-basil-chili-and-pork-khao-pad-krapao-moo--thai-spicy-food.html

Edited by mantu

wifey, me, her 3 sisters and their farang hubbys; we stopped by a market north of BKK.

The girls convert into hisos when they are in a gaggle, us hubbys a step behind.

One hubby and I were glancing over wives' shoulders at the rice and noodle for sale, and both of us noted, silently, all the flies going about their business. Looked like it had all been there in the open air, all day...

All through this the wives were continually chatting, and (we both thought similarly that the wives were seeing what was in their direct line of sight.

He & I look at each other, grimacing, shaking heads, but knowingly kept mouths in shutup-mode for fear of getting our heads bitten off for disturbing wives chatter, to exclaim about the flies.

Wifeys half Indian sister has now bought some of the finest fare, with a lot of what just blew in.... ...and then we set off to the market place.

Get to sit at the open food court. Wifey passes over some of 'IT', and both of us fellas exclaim simultaneous that we would pass-on any of the food for now...

All we said was "flies on the food in shop"

Boy did we get our heads bitten off.

Half Indian sisInLaw, now thinks she's bitten half a fly's head off, and leaves the table and heaves...

Now we are being loudly interrogated as to why we (she accuses - deliberately), why we didn't say anything, as she reckoned they would have had words to the old lady and would have stormed off.

talk about a Catch-22!!! We didnt let it go, and kept responding that we would have been treated as sissies for being scared of flys. The crunch was that we were now both being accused of assuming the girls were savages who like eating flys...

...me replying with the question ' surely you saw the flys yourself? - you were looking straight at them"

"we were talking, we not looking for flys, we not see when we talk, why you not tell us, my sister sick now, you fault"

fun day wai2.gif , but at least I found 2 Mekhong Tshirts in one of the shops nearby

Edited by tifino
  • Like 2

My wife will only eat hand pounded brown rice. So I guess not all Thais eh?

True.

And there might be 1 or 2 other Thais that like brown rice.

You are right, I am wrong.

We eat brown rice also - supposed to be healthier....

It IS healthier.

But I stay with my statement: Thais don't like brown rice.

Ever got brown rice in a restaurant?

But feel free to accuse me of gross generalising.

I have admitted before, that my statement applies to less than 100% of Thais (probably only 99%, we could compromise on 98%).

Not different from Europe:

Poor people used to eat brown (cheap) bread, the ruling class ate white (expensive) bread.

As the poor got less poor, they started to prefer white bread, as a status symbol.

Nowadays the educated eat brown bread (healthier).

And -how typical - brown bread is now more expensive than white bread, same with sugar or rice, although it is an extra cost to refine these products.

• Like 1

we've been feeding brown rice to the Monk. His bad teeth lately have him being confined to a soft congee, so wifey made some with the brown, and he's lapping it up.

That black rice is interesting too... especially as a sticky rice...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you have a disability which prevents you putting the food in the fridge?

If you regularly put it into the refrigerator yourself, she will most likely begin to understand IF she wants to take care of you.

We eat brown rice also - supposed to be healthier....

we've been feeding brown rice to the Monk. His bad teeth lately have him being confined to a soft congee, so wifey made some with the brown, and he's lapping it up.

That black rice is interesting too... especially as a sticky rice...

I ate brown rice for decades until about 5 years ago when i started eating 'black rice' as it's suppose to be even healthier. Interestingly some varieties of black rice are much softer than brown rice. It's not as available in the States where it is sold in smaller packages, but eventually we find it.

And yes, day old or so white rice (in covered containers, not open air) is often used for certain dishes, especially just daily 'fried rice' where it's not as soft and sticky as freshly cooked rice.

To the OP, try putting the rice (and meats) into the refrigerator after each meal and put a piece of tape with the dates so you can throw out after your comfort dates. Hopefully, she'll learn your system or you'll need a new cook smile.png.

Enjoy the learning and teaching in our multicultural environment.

Edited by losgrad

Hey ... while we are discussing 'Brown Rice' ... I heard it described here before as 'Prison Rice' ... as in it's what they feed to boys on the inside.

Any truth to that?

As a pleasant side note ... my partner, even though I am not there, feeds brown rice with veges to our 6 month old boys.

She 'discovered' it while in the West.

Her parents won't eat it ... but it is being consumed in the shared household.

One day i went upcountry in a big group of thai and we went to a good restaurant that they recommended somwhere along the road to kanchanaburi.

When the rice was served they smelled it and asked the waitress how old it was, she said she steamed it yesterday and left it in the cooker. Then they asked for fresh steamed rice which was made for us.

I was so smart to bring a huge bag of Yamazaki rolls so i didn't eat anything there. I looked at the ceiling and it seemed that in 10 years time they had never cleaned it, loads of spiderwebs and dirt hanging above our table.

That's why i prefer to live in Bangkok and if i go somewhere else i bring my own water and breads.