British And Scandanavians

When I was in Hua Hin I noticed that there were a lot of British and Scandinavians living there

I was just curious as to why so many of them have chosen to live in a country like Thailand (so far from home and so hot year round.) At least I would have thought they might prefer a country like India or Malaysia where the English language is more common.

Is Thailand one of the most sought after places to retire for the British and Scandinavians? If so, why?

But Why do Europeans come to Thailand when they can go to Malaysia

In Malaysia they are encouraging foreigners to move there. The government has a special program called MY SECOND HOME" . It allows people from all over the world, who fulfill certain criteria, to stay in Malaysia for as long as possible on a social visit pass with multiple entry visa. (The Social Visit Pass is initially for a period of 10 year and renewable.)

Plus they can purchase one locally manufactured car with duty free (i.e Proton, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes Benz and others)

and foreigners can buy and own property and even get a 60% bank loan as long as the property is over RM150,000. ($40,000)

After hearing so many people on the forum bellyache about having to make monthly visa runs . not being allowed to own land in Thailand ,having to buy condos for all cash and having to pay 30% import duty on passenger cars...it's surprising that Europeans would want to move to Thailand at all

So what is it about Thailand that makes it more attractive to Europeans than , say, English speaking Malaysia??

In Malaysia they are encouraging foreigners to move there. The government has a special program called MY SECOND HOME" . It allows people from all over the world, who fulfill certain criteria, to stay in Malaysia for as long as possible on a social visit pass with multiple entry visa. (The Social Visit Pass is initially for a period of 10 year and renewable.)

Plus they can purchase one locally manufactured car with duty free (i.e Proton, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes Benz and others)

and foreigners can buy and own property and even get a 60% bank loan as long as the property is over RM150,000. ($40,000)

After hearing so many people on the forum bellyache about having to make monthly visa runs . not being allowed to own land in Thailand ,having to buy condos for all cash and having to pay 30% import duty on passenger cars...it's surprising that Europeans would want to move to Thailand at all

So what is it about Thailand that makes it more attractive to Europeans than , say, English speaking Malaysia??

easy answer to that one...malaysia is a sh!thole.

5 steps out of KL or Penang and then what????????????

nothing lah.

thats what!

try living there and getting on with the locals.

hahahahahahaah

:o:D:D

easy answer to that one...malaysia is a sh!thole.

5 steps out of KL or Penang and then what????????????

nothing lah.

thats what!

hahahahahahaah

:o:D:D

Very crudly put there but I have to agree with him. Spent some time in Kota Buri (very badly advised on using the thai consulate there) three days later was nearly bored to death! Nothing goes on there! I mean Nothing! Out side the Capital (and to a lesser extent PN) there is no girly bar scene, bar scene, night life whatsoever! With the exception of the odd restraunt (chinese run) alcohol is a big no-no (as its banned).

I can't confirm it but if you are non-muslim you are a 2nd class citizen in Malaysia and yours truly converting to Islam is about as likely as me leading the next space exploration mission to mars!

If you are Jewish you are definatley unwelcome and israelis are barred from entering (according to my Israeli buddies)

The women are quite attractive but the chances of pulling one are almost zero, as mixed race/cross religious fusion usually results in banishment / judicial sentencing (A fine usually) (at the least) for the girl etc etc

So no nightlife unless in KL or Bordersville Penang, restrictions on what you can and can't do.

If your married to a thai bird, don't drink and enjoy the quite life then maybe there are options.

But it really is a no contest unless serious socio-cultural-relgious attitudes change radically!

Edited by JimsKnight

So it sounds like if you are into the nightlife and bar scene or are looking for companionship, Malaysia is out.

But what about the many retired folks from Europe? Wouldn't Malaysia, with it's more relaxed rules for foreigners be more attractive to them than, say, Hua Hin?

Also, are you sure alcohol is forbidden in Malaysia. This expat from Britian seems to be saying you can buy beer and wine in supermarkets there

http://www.escapeartist.com/OREQ13/Retirem..._Malaysia1.html

Also, are you sure alcohol is forbidden in Malaysia. This expat from Britian seems to be saying you can buy beer and wine in supermarkets there

http://www.escapeartist.com/OREQ13/Retirem..._Malaysia1.html

There are certain areas of Malaysia, particularly the East Coast, where consumption of alcohol is frowned upon. Throughout the majority of Malaysia, alcohol is widely available, however, not as cheap as Thailand.

When I was in Hua Hin I noticed that there were a lot of British and Scandinavians living there

I was just curious as to why so many of them have chosen to live in a country like Thailand (so far from home and so hot year round.) At least I would have thought they might prefer a country like India or Malaysia where the English language is more common.

Is Thailand one of the most sought after places to retire for the British and Scandinavians? If so, why?

Perhaps for the reasons you did egeefay :o

The OP lives in the US as far as I can tell...

totster :D

I w*rked in Malaysia for 5 years at the end of the last century. No insurmountable problems. I got on with most of the locals that I fell in with albeit most of them were piss 'eads. Indians, Chinese and Malays.

I suppose it's a case of 'horses for courses'.

The OP lives in the US as far as I can tell...

totster :D

the US?

If you are Jewish you are definatley unwelcome and israelis are barred from entering (according to my Israeli buddies)

Just a confirmation on this point:

National ISRAEL (IL) /Destination MALAYSIA (MY)

Entry refused. However, if holding letter of approval from Malaysian Ministry of Home Affairs,

admission is allowed.

Look its common sense really.

Practically everything remotely pleasurable is against the law in Britain . The place is becoming a horrible police state where you are being watched by cctv everywhere you go. Accidently walk into someone and they are shouting for the police and before you know it you are in jail for sexual asault for years. Everyone is obsessed by compensation culture , even looking at someone for more than 5 seconds leads to aggression and problems and , woe betide you if you look at a child. You'll be accused of being a pedophile and jailed for ever. The obsession in the UK with "protectin g " children and giving them everything they want has lead to a generation of spoilt brats who know they weald immense power. Smoking is about to be made illegal at public bus stops (it already is in scotland) !!

So is it really surprising that Brits choose to go to live in a country where the cost of living is minimal, great nightlife, friendly people, and FUN. If you do happen to break the law you just bribe the local police and , phut, the problems gone.

Unfortunately i am stuck working in this miserable hole called England , where the people are becoming so controlled by the govt it is starting to resemble Singapore.

I can get 3 Months free visa on arrival to Malaysia when I go but I would rather pay for a visa and go to Thailand.

I was on Langkawi island a couple of years back and I could only buy grog in one bar and 1 take away place, it is boring there compared to say Koh Samui. Penang has quite a few bars but it is boring compared to Thailand.

The border guards on the Malay side always give me a weird look when I'm only in the country for 15 mintues to do a visa run. In Thailand you can have a lot more fun, give me Thailand any day. :o

Just a confirmation on this point:

National ISRAEL (IL) /Destination MALAYSIA (MY)

Entry refused. However, if holding letter of approval from Malaysian Ministry of Home Affairs,

admission is allowed.

Phew, for just a second there I thought some malaysian dude was going to blast a broadside at me for getting the groove wrong!

Whats the deal on getting a letter of approval? Loads of meetings with the head honchos and ambassadors receptions etc?

I think the main reason for most Scandinavians to settle down in Thailand has to do with the people here. They are great to live together with and treat the farangs in a good way (yeah, there are exceptions but there are bad farangs as well). I think the religion has a lot to do with it as buddism is more tolerant than most other religions. Most have known Thailand for many years as Thailand has been a favourite destination for holiday trips. Malaysia is unknown to most Scandinavians as a holiday destination – even if they have heard of Penang and Langkawi. I know Malaysia and it certainly have a lot of good things to give those that want to live there. But no way would I recommend anyone to take Malaysia ahead of Thailand.

Look its common sense really.

Practically everything remotely pleasurable is against the law in Britain . The place is becoming a horrible police state where you are being watched by cctv everywhere you go. Accidently walk into someone and they are shouting for the police and before you know it you are in jail for sexual asault for years. Everyone is obsessed by compensation culture , even looking at someone for more than 5 seconds leads to aggression and problems and , woe betide you if you look at a child. You'll be accused of being a pedophile and jailed for ever. The obsession in the UK with "protectin g " children and giving them everything they want has lead to a generation of spoilt brats who know they weald immense power. Smoking is about to be made illegal at public bus stops (it already is in scotland) !!

So is it really surprising that Brits choose to go to live in a country where the cost of living is minimal, great nightlife, friendly people, and FUN. If you do happen to break the law you just bribe the local police and , phut, the problems gone.

Unfortunately i am stuck working in this miserable hole called England , where the people are becoming so controlled by the govt it is starting to resemble Singapore.

The only thing I can add to this superb post is England is a Police State without police.Sorry youre stuck there mate.

The reason I travel to Thailand are more about having connections there. I am American but

1. My wife is Thai 2. I speak Thai well enough

If I had to choose to retire in abroad and didn't have connections to Thailand... I think my motives would have to be more practical: temperate climate, low cost of living, few restrictions on owing property, good hospitals, easy visa application, low crime rate , welcoming attitude towards foreigners , ability to communicate with the locals , and safety. Thailand scores high on some things but not so well on others.

That's why I'd be interested in hearing from Europeans living in Thailand. Other than the sex trade what is it that attracts them to to move all the way to Thailand..over, say , Malaysia or somewhere closer to home.

Edited by egeefay

I think its because its "so far from home and so hot year round." :o Seriously though, one mans poison and all that. I first went to Malaysia 30 odd years ago had a fine old time parties every night, lots of booze and fantastic food. Had to make and effort on the woman from (not a bad thing). It was a 'lucky' moment in time as it was a government sponsored project, there was a bit of money floating around, and all the local staff became almost instant friends.

I'm moving to Thailand in a couple of months but hope to travel round a bit with an open mind for final destination. I wonder if Cambodia & Vietnam are starting to become potential candidates?

I think scandinavians move to Thailand because of the women, the good food, the generally friendly attitude to foreigners, the climate, and the low costs of living here.

If I were to select some country closer to home I would think of France, Italy or Spain.

That would give me the advantage, being an EU-citizen, to buy land without problems, still having a warm climate, good wine and food. (though I do not know about the food in Spain, but the wine is ok.)

North :o

Well, this Scandinavian moved to Thailand for only two reasons - the much better climate and the much better odds for surviving as an independent business owner ... as for the girls/chicks/women - my beloved TW would have preferred to live in my homecountry ... but luckily, I were the boss on that issue ...

the US?

Yes... the US !

totster :o

As for Scandinavian pensioners, apart from girlie bars etc, I know people that prefer Hua Hin area because of the climate. On this particular stretch of land there are 3 monsoon belts meting, so no matter what time of the year you come, it is OK to be there. They get rain, but never as much as deep south and far north.

India and Malaysia may also have their charm and attractions for foreigners, but as far as it comes to living costs, I got the general impression that Thailand is cheaper.

The really interesting question has been ignored in this thread.Specifically why do the northern Europeans (Scandinavians, Brits, Germans) find exile in Thailand so much more attractive than the southern Europeans (Spanish, French, Italians)?

The really interesting question has been ignored in this thread.Specifically why do the northern Europeans (Scandinavians, Brits, Germans) find exile in Thailand so much more attractive than the southern Europeans (Spanish, French, Italians)?

I would have thought that was obvious. For everyone I know who have moved to Thailand one of the foremost reasons was to get away to a nicer (read warmer) climate. Not the same need for that if you live in southern Europe.

Sophon

The second home scheme in Malaysia has turned out to eb a big headache for many. I know several people who have been married to Malaysians for decades and still do not have PR - preference in all avenues of life is given to Malays . . . if you have children or want to raise children in Malaysia then start saving your pennies to send them OS as most university places are reserved for Malays. The list goes on, but I'd agree that Thailand is far friendlier and open than Malaysia.