The best ex-pat community in Thailand.

infinity11

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the OP doesn't like the Brits he's met in Pattaya, he should meet some of the ones who stayed-home, or were rejected as being too lo-so for Thailand's greener-shores. sad.png

But hey, everybody is an individual, and you've got to take them as such & give 'em a chance, until you know them ! smile.png

For an expat-community, I've always thought the Chiang Rai mob seemed a very decent & individualistic lot, going by ThaiVisa ? wai2.gif

• Like 2

In Pattaya the expat community is more divided into countries I believe.

We have a big Norwegian expat community here , with a Norwegian church , restaurants and bars only for Norwegians. I don't like these places at all since I prefer to mix with other people and nationalities. So I would prefer a mixed expat community, but hard to find in Pattaya.

• Like 2

In Pattaya the expat community is more divided into countries I believe.

We have a big Norwegian expat community here , with a Norwegian church , restaurants and bars only for Norwegians. I don't like these places at all since I prefer to mix with other people and nationalities. So I would prefer a mixed expat community, but hard to find in Pattaya.

Pray tell... What exactly is a norwegian church ? a Viking thing ?... praying to Oden and Thor ? tongue.png

No, then it would have been a viking church I guess.

This is the Norwegian seaman church located between Pattaya and Jomtien. Look for the Norwegian flag. Danes and Swedes are also welcome. I'm not very religious but the church is a good place to meet and discuss anything.

Well - this is a virtual expat community - how ya doin' so far??????

I've noticed in CM the expats meeting are filled with expats showing off their "throphies" - some congregate together but not many.....when the bell rings and the meeting is over it looks like someone shouted bomb! -- or fire! - everyone exits quickly.....no real common bond.....some Thai business self interested entrepeneurs parading around looking to score (but damn fine looking).....

We are all individuals and here they seem to echo that - I mainly pass on these and will not subject my wife to it.....not really interested in one upping anyone - it's not a contest.....

Their "socials" are even worse - the drunk braggarts congregate to drink, brag, and talk and the wives mingle together and gossip.....while others wander around wondering where the (seasonal) party is or when it will start.....no band - no dancing - just drinking.....

Saving the best for last ---- there are a lot of special inerest groups from computers to music to gardening where like minded people do get together and share a common interest - from there friendships may be forged.....

How long has it been since you've been to a meeting of the CM Expats Club? There's been a change in the Board in March and much more going on after the meeting what with business sponsors, community sponsors and outside group activities having displays in the foyer -- well let's just say the hotel finally had to run us out after the last meeting because we were lingering after our allotted time.

And what do you mean by "trophies"? Don't tell me those are the women? Well, now it's mostly women on the Board of CEC and our husbands call us "gems" not "trophies".

• Like 1

In my opinion our infinity11 is spot on with his description of the ex-pat scene in Thailand, except that I would elaborate and say this extends to all nationalities of farangs living in Thailand and is not exclusive to the Russians and the British and certainly do not consider the OP`s comments as racist, he is just telling it how it is.

His question: where are the-best ex-pat communities in Thailand? My answer to that is; there are no ex-pat communities in Thailand that I am aware of.

I would doubt that any Westerners plonking themselves in Thailand for the long term would ever be successful in gaining close friendships within the ex-pats circles. Many are extremely iffy, for example I have learned over the years to never ask farangs what they do in Thailand, some are openly hostile, rude, arrogant and strictly anti social. The older ones in general seem to be the grumpiest of all, totally rooted into their own worlds and some will consider other farangs only as intruders into their space, like a dog meeting another dog for the first time.

Over the last couple of years there have been quite a few farang social groups starting up, loads on facebook, but as the OP said; most are just people trying to sell something or hustlers seeking jobs or just those looking for potential customers to sell whatever it is they are peddling.

I have been lucky because I plonked myself in Thailand over 30 years ago, there were some good groups here then and consider myself as having and had the best of it. But today it is a different scenario, a completely different scene and a completely new breed of ex-pats arriving in Thailand, more or less as our infinity11 explained it.

nonsense. i know of a number of upcountry towns and cities that have very active groups of farangs sharing interests in many activities and sports.

• Like 2

In my opinion our infinity11 is spot on with his description of the ex-pat scene in Thailand, except that I would elaborate and say this extends to all nationalities of farangs living in Thailand and is not exclusive to the Russians and the British and certainly do not consider the OP`s comments as racist, he is just telling it how it is.

His question: where are the-best ex-pat communities in Thailand? My answer to that is; there are no ex-pat communities in Thailand that I am aware of.

I would doubt that any Westerners plonking themselves in Thailand for the long term would ever be successful in gaining close friendships within the ex-pats circles. Many are extremely iffy, for example I have learned over the years to never ask farangs what they do in Thailand, some are openly hostile, rude, arrogant and strictly anti social. The older ones in general seem to be the grumpiest of all, totally rooted into their own worlds and some will consider other farangs only as intruders into their space, like a dog meeting another dog for the first time.

Over the last couple of years there have been quite a few farang social groups starting up, loads on facebook, but as the OP said; most are just people trying to sell something or hustlers seeking jobs or just those looking for potential customers to sell whatever it is they are peddling.

I have been lucky because I plonked myself in Thailand over 30 years ago, there were some good groups here then and consider myself as having and had the best of it. But today it is a different scenario, a completely different scene and a completely new breed of ex-pats arriving in Thailand, more or less as our infinity11 explained it.

nonsense. i know of a number of upcountry towns and cities that have very active groups of farangs sharing interests in many activities and sports.

There are such interests and sports clubs spread over Thailand, and I have no doubts that there will be some friendships or at least acquaintances made within these groups, but I would not describe these as being part of any ex-pats communities, but rather being as social events where people turn up, perhaps have a chat, do their thing, maybe grab some business or an earner their way and then go home until the next date of events.

I have commented on a general level that gaining a good circle of close friendships among the ex-pat circles is extremely difficult, perhaps even impossible these days, especially for the new boys in town.

Considering many of the comments made on this thread from dead head posters who took great delight in taking the peesd out of the OP just for making a reasonable inquiry proves my point that these are the average attitudes towards their peers in Thailand today and all that I mentioned in my previous post still stands.

and I'm telling you youre wrong. I dont know what its like in Pattaya etc but upcountry ex-pat communities are common. they share a common interest that brought them together in the first place but they go on to form very good friendships and share many things together. sorry to hear you dont.

• Like 1

There are such interests and sports clubs spread over Thailand, and I have no doubts that there will be some friendships or at least acquaintances made within these groups, but I would not describe these as being part of any ex-pats communities, but rather being as social events where people turn up, perhaps have a chat, do their thing, maybe grab some business or an earner their way and then go home until the next date of events.

I have commented on a general level that gaining a good circle of close friendships among the ex-pat circles is extremely difficult, perhaps even impossible these days, especially for the new boys in town.

Considering many of the comments made on this thread from dead head posters who took great delight in taking the peesd out of the OP just for making a reasonable inquiry proves my point that these are the average attitudes towards their peers in Thailand today and all that I mentioned in my previous post still stands.

and I'm telling you youre wrong. I dont know what its like in Pattaya etc but upcountry ex-pat communities are common. they share a common interest that brought them together in the first place but they go on to form very good friendships and share many things together. sorry to hear you dont.

I live in Chiang Mai, if you consider that as upcountry? The social aspects for me are no problem having been here many years and well established in this town. I can regard my ex-pat friends in Thailand as lifelong friends although many are now very elderly and my friends have dwindled over the years.

I think you are confusing communities with circles of groups of people that are 2 different things. I do agree that there are ex-pats that share common interests, but to many this appears to make no difference, as there are still those who when encountering other farangs on their travels will treat them as if they have some sorts of contagious diseases and to be avoided, especially some of the old croaks that I have had the misfortune to be sharing the same spaces with when out somewhere.

I am by no means suggesting that we all hold a duty to nice to others just because they are farangs, but many are openly anti social and make themselves completely unapproachable and the reasons it is difficult to make close ex-pat friends here. Everyone has a right to choose their own ways of living and who they wish to be associated with, I am only giving some reasons as to why it is difficult to form close relationships with other ex-pats in answer to the OP`s inquiry, otherwise how else would you like me to explain this? And as regards going to social clubs, I have already explained this in my previous post.

I have found the Chiang Mai expat community a little "odd". Hermit type characters that don't fit in anywhere else.

I don`t think Chiang Mai is exclusive in having it`s weird ex-pats, as there are oddballs in all the regions of Thailand, but probably having different oddball traits according to their habitat.

Agree that Chiang Mai has it`s hermit type characters that don't fit in anywhere else. See them everywhere, at the supermarkets, post offices and so on.

I am by no means suggesting that we all hold a duty to nice to others just because they are farangs, but many are openly anti social and make themselves completely unapproachable and the reasons it is difficult to make close ex-pat friends here. Everyone has a right to choose their own ways of living and who they wish to be associated with, I am only giving some reasons as to why it is difficult to form close relationships with other ex-pats in answer to the OP`s inquiry, otherwise how else would you like me to explain this? And as regards going to social clubs, I have already explained this in my previous post.

as usual youre just playing semantic games. a circle of friends is a community

com·mu·ni·ty
kəˈmyo͞onitē/
noun
  1. 1.
    a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
    "Rhode Island's Japanese community"
    synonyms: group, body, set, circle, clique, faction; More
  2. 2.
    a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
    "the sense of community that organized religion can provide"
Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 2