My experience extending tourist visa on Monday - 1.5 hour wait and very rude staff.

Rudest immigration officer I've ever had was at Poi Pet border, old guy with receding hair line!

Yes I know this guy very nasty guy,thinks everyone is a naughty child,shouts at people. I threw my passport on the desk at him like I had watched him throw passports back at people. <deleted>.

But you must report these people ( after you have got what you came for) make them feel some pain for your often public humiliation.

• Like 1

I've encountered both friendly and a holes.. I don't see the point in complaining.. Remember "Thai only" rules, much like if you get into an accident that wasn't your fault.. I'd just keep my distance from the guy in the future.

You get rude immigration officers all over the world. Some of the rudest I've met are in USA.

I've been through immigration of over 60 countries, and twice I'd have to give the rudeness award to Canadian immigration officers.

You can skip the Immigration Officers altogether when entering the USA. Just enter at the southern border. smile.png

• Like 1

Out of 15 or so countries the US was by far the rudest on multiple occasions. Oh yeah and I am American. Once they detained my GF for over an hour of interrogation because her name was similar to a wanted MALE. Another time I heard a US I/ O shouting at someone and was shocked to find out it was me. He was enraged because I folded my immigration card and was holding it in my lips while retrieving my passport. When I approach them with a travel companion the tell her to get behind the line rudely. If I approach them alone they ask why I concealed the fact I was traveling with a partner. <deleted>?! Make up your minds. I payed for the Trusted Traveler card just to avoid these pricks. Now I "talk" to a kiosk for 10 seconds and I'm gone!

Try starting a Thai bank account, practice a few words of Thai, maybe even donate blood at the local hospital.

Flash these documents around, and you may break some ice in the coldest bureaucratic heart. AA

Give blood for a visa extension? Better than an arm and a leg i suppose.coffee1.gif

This example - which I believe to be totally true is one reason I like to bookmark such posts - so that I can dump it into the next excuse makers lap....

Thailand is no different than .... name the country -- BUT actually Thailand is different ... Far too many IO's have a real ax to grind against some Farangs .(and are allowed to make up the rules as they go along)... Folks -- there are FAR too many posts over the years as evidence that refute the 'oh it is just one IO... blah blah blah -- yada yada yada.... so please spare me ...

And who could blame any of them that don't like farangs when people like you come here. Have you seen some of the farangs in immigration offices here? They dress down, have an attitude problem and can't even be bothered to say a simple Sawadee Krap to the officer. Even I don't like some of them.

• Like 1

Actually, one hour for visa ext is normal and you need to arrive fully one hour before 12 before they go for lunch and for sure they are not going to do your work in their lunch hour. So come back at one, out by 2pm. Up to you to be on time and considerate of them.

Yesterday I extended my 60-day visa at the Jaeng Wathana or whatever the transliteration is.

It was fastest I have ever had anything done there, I was in and out within an hour. They were smiley and nice.

Not to contradict the original post, just sayin'

What type of 60 days visa did you extended at Jaeng Watthana?

Edited by Maestro
Fixed quote tags.

Rudest immigration officer I've ever had was at Poi Pet border, old guy with receding hair line!

Yes I know this guy very nasty guy,thinks everyone is a naughty child,shouts at people. I threw my passport on the desk at him like I had watched him throw passports back at people. <deleted>.

But you must report these people ( after you have got what you came for) make them feel some pain for your often public humiliation.

Lol yes that's the guy, shouted at me too. Check PM for photo, has be same guy!

Yesterday I extended my 60-day visa at the Jaeng Wathana or whatever the transliteration is.

It was fastest I have ever had anything done there, I was in and out within an hour. They were smiley and nice.

Not to contradict the original post, just sayin'

What type of 60 days visa did you extended at Jaeng Watthana?

Sorry, I should have specified that.

I was extending a 60-day, double-entry tourist visa for 30 days.

This example - which I believe to be totally true is one reason I like to bookmark such posts - so that I can dump it into the next excuse makers lap....

Thailand is no different than .... name the country -- BUT actually Thailand is different ... Far too many IO's have a real ax to grind against some Farangs .(and are allowed to make up the rules as they go along)... Folks -- there are FAR too many posts over the years as evidence that refute the 'oh it is just one IO... blah blah blah -- yada yada yada.... so please spare me ...

I don't disagree with you, but bookmarking posts on a forum is not in the same league as an in-depth analysis that takes into account historical factors and others contextual matters that are relevant. Furthermore, reputable data from other countries needs to be presented as well.

I see this issue all over the internet—people think that just because it is searchable or published somewhere on the web, then it must be true. Thankfully, changes such as the enforcement of Google's EAT principles may help. And no, I am not a Google "brand ambassador."

Edited by tookwan cottage

And who could blame any of them that don't like farangs when people like you come here. Have you seen some of the farangs in immigration offices here? They dress down, have an attitude problem and can't even be bothered to say a simple Sawadee Krap to the officer. Even I don't like some of them.

Agreed.

Some of them look as if they have just come straight from Soi Cowboy with their Bar Fine in tow.

Flip flops, shorts and a Chang wife beater seems to be the attire of choice.

Next up are the KSR hippy brigade, stinking filthy dreadlocks and a Cannibas leaf t-shirt and cargo pants. I remember there used to be a notice written in English saying "please dress politely"

Rudest, I ever had was in Amsterdam. As I was leaving immigration area another immigration officer asked what was wrong explained to him he got pissed rimmed that guys butt right there. Told Him That I work for TSA in the states and had to meet security here on an issue. After my meeting was leaving airport to head to my room The rude guy was saying he was sorry . But it still sucked after long flight to be greeted like that.

I am not that familiar with the details of the new immigration rules. How ever he went in on a Sunday to get the papers. I was not aware that immigration was open on Sunday. Also this is his third extension he claims to already have two from other offices. That would make three extensions plus the initial 30 day visa.

Is that not exactly what they are cranking down on. All though the immigration officers were given permission to use their judgement. Seems fair to me to allow the original and three extensions and tell him he will not be given another one. A lot more kinder than to be very polite and give it to him no questions asked and when he comes back the next time inform him he must leave Thailand he is not allowed to stay indefinably on a tourist visa.

I could be wrong but from all I have heard all immigration is doing is trying to get the long stayers here on a proper visa. I know on my second visa to this country I got a 60 day 3 time entry visa before coming here and if I had wished to do so I could have extended each one by thirty days given me a total of 270 days. Not sure if they give the triple entries any more but they do give the double entries which would still allow him a total of 180 days. Like I say I am not all that familiar with the different type visas I know that one is possible but I think there is another longer stay one available.

The Officer probably heard about many of the rude comments on this forum about Thailand and Immigration Officers!

Keep it up and we will all suffer!

No fear, they not care and I presume, do not like to read in English forums either! rolleyes.gif

Can't honestly say that I've encountered any particularly rude immigration staff anywhere on this great planet of ours.

But when it comes to check-in staff (particularly at LGW) or security screening staff (particularly at LHR and CDG), well that's another matter altogether.....

To the OP....to be honest, this sounds like more of a hassle and headache than anything. Have you been here long? 1.5 hours and a rude immigration officer aint that bad. You should hear some of the sh*t other people here have gone through.

Long enough to not use a knife at a western meal!

I'm aware it happens everywhere I'm simply giving people a heads up or maybe it's not necessary!

Hi Murphy, thanks for the "Heads up" enjoy your 30 Day's Slainte

Cheers! 30 days plus 12 months .... Quick Trip back to Mammy for Christmas. Jesus. Couldn't be missing the spuds