Why Thai put up their windshield wiper when their car is parked ?

Digitalnomade

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure how it lessens the lives of the blades - the contact with the hot glass vs exposing more of the surface area (potentially) to the direct sun.

Either way, it looks pointless to me....but I am willing to learn. Perhaps I will try it for a week and see if I can notice any difference....not.

My suspicion is the only thing that will happen will be a few extra minor scratches on my paint from leaning over to put the stupid blades up and down all the time.

• Like 1

The sun is often so hot it will melt the blades and they stick to the windshield leaving unsightly sticky lines. Maybe?

This is what I have been told. It leaves lines and lessens the life expectancy of the blades themselves.

What you say makes sense.....so I don't know why my neighbour does it only overnight, lol.

It makes as much sense as the risers they put under their car hoods (bonnets) so that they no longer fit properly and your fresh air intake is now pulling in air across the engine (Smells good eh?). Do they think that car manufacturers made a mistake in making the hood close properly?

• Like 1

It is kind of like not using your headlights at night because you do not want to replace them when they wear out!

Thai logic!

You no understan, they can see very good in the dark so no need to have lights on their vehicle.

Here they all open the bonnet of the car while they come home, before they go to sleep they will close them.

I don't understand why they like to buy cars that cost more then their house, some even have several of those cars so they have to park them on the street and put a cover on them every night.

Another one here drives around with the red licenseplate (that you get when buying a new car) for more then a year. then that person came to ask me why my new motorbike has no licenseplate at all when it was new.

well, I've been doing same since 1982, after time in Malaysia & Darwin the habit stuck.

Good thing it did as anyone could attest the amount the amount of rubbish collects, even overnight - rainfall or not....

I don't like to have my windscreen scratched, on first wipe of the day, by the dust build up (which can have traces of quartz init.) so it is a habit I will always follow, and

I am now immune to all the wisecracks I continually get.

Worst things was that one morning I came out to the car and found the wiper blades/arms in a tangled mess, not sure exactly who dunnit, but some dudes at my old locale really took my habit to task sometimes...

Edit --- just come to mind one real reason for doing it; was that I have, since 1979 been a fervent user of Rain-x for the windscreen rain-repellent. This shit is great for repelling water, but the acid content deteriorates the wiper rubbers within weeks if you put the wipers down after freshly applying the rain-x. I reapply some twice a week, so the habit has been a god-send even if only for this one reason...

Edited by tifino

Why do farangs "tink too mut", speculate, generalise and start conspiracy theories about the Thai nation ?

Why do farangs wear wife beaters, shorts and flip flops with white socks.

so many questions in the world, so little time....thumbsup.gif

because they were losers at home and finally think they have a chance to look down on someone.

• Like 2

Why do farangs "tink too mut", speculate, generalise and start conspiracy theories about the Thai nation ?

because they were losers at home and finally think they have a chance to look down on someone.

ah I get it, sense of superiority some farangs have over the the "natives" ?

how very colonial....just need a the white suit, pith helmet, G&T on the stoep and the servants scrubbing the floors with a toothbrush to complete the picture ?

ah I get it, sense of superiority some farangs have over the the "natives" ?

how very colonial....just need a the white suit, pith helmet, G&T on the stoep and the servants scrubbing the floors with a toothbrush to complete the picture ?

you forgot the Thompson Gun leaning against the wall in the corner

I do it here in Saudi too. Where it is so hot the rubbers can stick. But I have two small soft plastic blocks I put under the wiper arms. It raises them just clear, instead of sticking in the air.wink.png However!!! I have been known to forget from time to time and had to stop the car to take them outfacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Hey, no-one is perfecttongue.png

• Like 1

The wipers will stick to the glass because of the heat.Common Sense.Perhaps the Thais have more common sense than westerners!!

mine have never stuck to the windscreen in 3 years and i live in a hot dry area, Pranburi, i never cover the car either.

i like it when they pull into service stations an open the bonnet right up.............nuts, what do they think the water does in the radiator??

• Like 1

The wipers will stick to the glass because of the heat.Common Sense.Perhaps the Thais have more common sense than westerners!!

Willing to wager that if you ran a poll on it 0% of drivers here on TV have had this happen.

Perhaps it only happens to Thais.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Willing to wager that if you ran a poll on it 0% of drivers here on TV have had this happen.

I used to live in South Texas and it happened to me a few times there also in Key West.

I used to live in South Texas and it happened to me a few times there also in Key West.

Must be those cheap made in USA wipers lol

• Like 1

Must be those cheap made in USA wipers lol

Ya maybe but it's so hot in South Texas that the chickens lay hard boiled eggs.

• Like 1