Anyone else have problems with SAL shipping from Thai post ?

BKKdreaming

I thought I was being smarter using SAL ( surface-air-land) small packet shipping from the Thai Post, its a little over 1kg envelope.

since we are shipping from Bangkok my thoughts were how long would the "surface" in Thailand be to get to the Airport , then its on a plane to the USA where the mail is pretty quick anyway,

But tracking all the packages on Thai Post website , they have taken 3-4 days to get to the Airport (20-30 km) and then the tracking trail ends ,

nothing for 10 days so far sad.png

One package sent SAL has been out "there" 5 weeks , another one to Germany 6 weeks......

Am I doing something wrong ?

Am I better off to go with small packet - Air

Does SAL or Air mail go out everyday or do the wait until they have a full air container ?

and does it go on Thai Air or ?????

I am just trying to figure out the best thing to do at a decent price and delivery time , right now what we are doing is not working !

any inside Post Office info would help

Thanks

its a little strange that the packages sent SAL the same day to Switzerland and the USA , the Swiss one is already there but no news on the USA ones ,

I did find out that you can use the Thai tracking number on the USA post office tracking page,

anyway just trying to learn more ....

a little update

we mailed from Bangkok August 26, 2014 , it left BKK on the 28th
it arrived in USA August 29 , and has been in the USA post for 1 week ,
Checking tracking number on Thai Post website the trail stops August 28th
last night, one week after arriving the US post office put the info up that the package arrived the 29th....OUCH
So I assume it is in Customs ,
We still have packages sent August 6th that are lost somewhere and the trail ends a couple days after leaving them at Bangkok post office....
I am not sure what I have learned , it seems the Thai post does not update info from the receiving countries that well , so you need to check the receiving countries Post office website and see if there is information there
And I guess we need to see if the lost packages show up,
I once sent a large box to Brazil, the postman tried to deliver it one time , no one was home so it wrote that it was not deliverable and sent it back to the USA without trying a second time.......so you never know......
And yes Fed EX would be much better if I got the discounted rates large shippers get , I ordered a tablet from Taiwan and in less than 48 hours it was at my door in the USA smile.png
Edited by BKKdreaming

US (also Germany) check every package (I guess X-Ray) and make a photo from sender and recipient address that also needs time.

(Don't ask me why making a photo, but that was in main stream news (spiegel)).

US (also Germany) check every package (I guess X-Ray) and make a photo from sender and recipient address that also needs time.

(Don't ask me why making a photo, but that was in main stream news (spiegel)).

interesting , can you find a link to that story ? in German OK

thanks

I sent as box of perfume by SAL last year(august '13), it disappeared for several months and no one could tell me what happened to it then after much chasing it appeared to have gone missing at Suvarnibhum airport. A month(mar '14) later after much more chasing I was told it was being returned to me and then it simply disappeared again(may '14), I assume someone decided they could make money from selling it as we havent been able to find out anything at all since.

• 9 months later...