Bifocals and Trasitional Lenses

ToddinChonburi

It's quite a bit cheaper to buy online. Especially progressive lenses. What Euro Optical sells is not anything special compared to the online places as far as I can tell. No premium brand name frames and Hoya lenses is what Euro Optical sells I believe. Same as a lot of other places.

Some people prefer to deal with a person at a retail shop and the Philipino lady at Euro is an optometrist with good english. You can also try on different frames and get a feel for their quality which you obviously can't do online. So if you want to get progressive lenses from a brick and mortar retail place you are probably better off to go there than the franchise places which seem to just have sales people or minimally trained people. Euro optical specializes in progressive lenses so that is what she is going to try sell you. If you don't want progressive you might be better off going somewhere else.

Edited by lapd

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite a bit cheaper to buy online. Especially progressive lenses. What Euro Optical sells is not anything special compared to the online places as far as I can tell.

Wrong. At Euro Optic I'm getting about 5 hours of one-on-one time in 3 or 4 sessions with a very experienced optometrist who knows her stuff. I'm also getting 2 pairs of training glasses - also progressive at different corrections to test my eyes out with them for a week at a time... and to test out angles, which are extremely important with progressive lenses if you need correction for distance, middle and near. I will have final training glasses made and tested before I have the permanent ones made so I know they are going to be perfect.

I have a very complex vision puzzle that other optometrists have never managed to solve... including optometrists in Australia, Philippines and Malaysia... and wasted a lot of money too.

I made a bet above. You're welcome to apply.

Now if a person has a very basic vision problem, then basic lenses will probably do the trick and you could order them online, but not for me or many others with complex vision impairment. To be honest, until I met Maria at Euro Optic I didn't think it was possible to solve my problem. She hasn't taken one baht from me yet after many hours of work.

People are suggesting that I have a prescription that can be filled - this is absurd. I have about 10 pairs of glasses at home, all compromises (and failed experiments) that didn't work. Most optometrists don't like dealing with customers like me as they need to work too hard for their money - or just set me up with something which doesn't work.

If progressives are not made properly, you will not wear them. I have 20,000 baht's worth of worthless progressives in my draw to prove that.

Edited by tropo

It's quite a bit cheaper to buy online. Especially progressive lenses. What Euro Optical sells is not anything special compared to the online places as far as I can tell.

Wrong. At Euro Optic I'm getting about 5 hours of one-on-one time in 3 or 4 sessions with a very experienced optometrist who knows her stuff. I'm also getting 2 pairs of training glasses - also progressive at different corrections to test my eyes out with them for a week at a time... and to test out angles, which are extremely important with progressive lenses if you need correction for distance, middle and near. I will have final training glasses made and tested before I have the permanent ones made so I know they are going to be perfect.

I have a very complex vision puzzle that other optometrists have never managed to solve... including optometrists in Australia, Philippines and Malaysia... and wasted a lot of money too.

Now if a person has a very basic vision problem, then basic lenses will probably do the trick and you could order them online, but not for me or many others with complex vision impairment. To be honest, until I met Maria at Euro Optic I didn't think it was possible to solve my problem. She hasn't taken one baht from me yet after many hours of work.

People are suggesting that I have a prescription that can be filled - this is absurd. I have about 10 pairs of glasses at home, all compromises (and failed experiments) that didn't work. Most optometrists don't like dealing with customers like me as they need to work too hard for their money - or just set me up with something which doesn't work.

If progressives are not made properly, you will not wear them. I have 20,000 baht's worth of worthless progressives in my draw to prove that.

If you have wierd eyes and/or need a large correction then you are probably an exception that cannot use online places. Most people don't need that. All they need are their prescription numbers which the websites make easy to submit via forms. Lots and lots of people happily buy online. Lots of positive testimonials. Most places also give the option to send them back for a refund or exchange if it doesn't work out minus shipping charges. It is most definitely a lot cheaper.

Edited by lapd

Gotta point out, nobody needs any kind of training with progressive lens.

Sounds like a scam of some kind.

I wouldn't use that firm under any circumstances after reading the BS they have sold you on.

Modern computer eye tests need hardly any skill on the part of the optician.

You rest your chin on the chin rest, and it buzzes at you while a laser scans each of your eye lens.

Probably a scam to convince you paying 5x the online cost is worthwhile.

Why not publish your prescription so we can all see.

Mine is nearly +2 in each eye, then a different axis correction in each eye plus a +2 ND correction, can't imagine yours is harder than that.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I wouldn't use that firm under any circumstances after reading the BS they have sold you on.

You rest your chin on the chin rest, and it buzzes at you while a laser scans each of your eye lens.

Mine is nearly +2 in each eye, then a different axis correction in each eye plus a +2 ND correction, can't imagine yours is harder than that.

Gotta point out....you made a bet and I accepted. There's no point arguing with your further - just put your money where your mouth is. What's stopping you? - it could be an easy earn for you and it'll give you a chance to teach us all a lesson.

I'll go anywhere (in Pattaya) and take any tests you suggest, and you will provide me with a similar pair of glasses that will do as good a job for 1/5th the cost. Of course the lens quality and frame will need to be the same quality.

Gotta point out....you made a bet and I accepted. There's no point arguing with your further - just put your money where your mouth is. What's stopping you? - it could be an easy earn for you and it'll give you a chance to teach us all a lesson.

I'll go anywhere (in Pattaya) and take any tests you suggest, and you will provide me with a similar pair of glasses that will do as good a job for 1/5th the cost. Of course the lens quality and frame will need to be the same quality.

Just post your prescription here.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

If you have wierd eyes and/or need a large correction then you are probably an exception that cannot use online places. Most people don't need that. All they need are their prescription numbers which the websites make easy to submit via forms. Lots and lots of people happily buy online. Lots of positive testimonials. Most places also give the option to send them back for a refund or exchange if it doesn't work out minus shipping charges. It is most definitely a lot cheaper.

I don't have weird eyes. They would look quite normal to any observer.

Sure, the majority of vision impaired people would probably get by with simple lenses, but you're out of touch with reality to think that people in my category are unusual. Just because a person is happy with their lenses does not mean that they cannot do better. I've spent most of my life looking through sub-optimal lenses provided by lousy optometrists... but I was getting by fine.

For example, take a person who has never worn glasses who doesn't see too well. This is very common in underdeveloped countries where many people cannot afford glasses and certainly cannot afford proper eye exams and prescription lenses. We take them along to one of those market stall which sells 100 baht non-prescription reading glasses. You could give him any pair and he would be extremely happy. Suddenly the whole world would appear clear and bright, despite his lens being way off what his prescription should be.

The bet I offered earlier is open to everyone, so you're also welcome to apply. The idea is to prove I'm paying 5x too much.

Your bet makes no sense, your subjective opinion as the touchstone, come on!

Why not give it a try, it's only about 3- 4000฿ and you do not need to confess if it's a good deal...

Are you saying that the quality and function of lenses cannot be determined and that differences are only subjective? If a person sees better and feels better looking through one set of lenses compared to another, it's all in his head?

Have you ever looked through a badly set up and/or wrongly corrected pair of progressive lenses? Obviously not, because if you had you wouldn't be on here making absurd comments. They can make the viewer confused and even nauseous. I've already been through that. It must have been in my head, right?

The bet makes perfect sense. You don't.

Post your prescription, then we can all see if your eyes are anything different.

It would be really easy, but for some reason you don't want to do it.

Starting to think you are a shill for the firm you keep pushing.

(Which nobody in their right mind would use after the prices you quoted)

I just had an eye exam in USA not long ago not much changed one eye worsened by +.25 took my new Rx progressive glasses and and old pair to a small family owned shop in Bangkok. I much preferred the older frames then the newer ones. He examined the new glasses in a machine, put my old glasses on my face pit dots in the center of the lens with a marker and 24 hours later my old frames had new lenses equivalent quality to the ones I got in the USA. Lenses only, no frames under 5,000 Baht.

I just had an eye exam in USA not long ago not much changed one eye worsened by +.25 took my new Rx progressive glasses and and old pair to a small family owned shop in Bangkok. I much preferred the older frames then the newer ones. He examined the new glasses in a machine, put my old glasses on my face pit dots in the center of the lens with a marker and 24 hours later my old frames had new lenses equivalent quality to the ones I got in the USA. Lenses only, no frames under 5,000 Baht.

Paint wears off the frame, then you get a green nose.

For 5k you could have got a complete replacement online.

PS

A 0.25 change in prescription isn't worth changing lens.

Actually the frames were what I brought frome USA titanium. Just replaced the lenses as I think I mentioned before. Get your eyes checked or learn to read. Also had them in 24 hours. Glad to know you can see things through my eyes, .25 not much of a change but since I am going back and forth between two pairs of glasses wanted them the same. For UNDER 5K with it to me. Sorry I dont live up to your standards.

I don't have weird eyes. They would look quite normal to any observer.

Sure, the majority of vision impaired people would probably get by with simple lenses, but you're out of touch with reality to think that people in my category are unusual. Just because a person is happy with their lenses does not mean that they cannot do better. I've spent most of my life looking through sub-optimal lenses provided by lousy optometrists... but I was getting by fine.

For example, take a person who has never worn glasses who doesn't see too well. This is very common in underdeveloped countries where many people cannot afford glasses and certainly cannot afford proper eye exams and prescription lenses. We take them along to one of those market stall which sells 100 baht non-prescription reading glasses. You could give him any pair and he would be extremely happy. Suddenly the whole world would appear clear and bright, despite his lens being way off what his prescription should be.

The bet I offered earlier is open to everyone, so you're also welcome to apply. The idea is to prove I'm paying 5x too much.

Clearly you have drunk the optometrists koolaid in their response to online retailers undercutting their lucrative business. It's your money up to you.

• Like 1

Your bet makes no sense, your subjective opinion as the touchstone, come on!

Why not give it a try, it's only about 3- 4000฿ and you do not need to confess if it's a good deal...

Are you saying that the quality and function of lenses cannot be determined and that differences are only subjective? If a person sees better and feels better looking through one set of lenses compared to another, it's all in his head?

Have you ever looked through a badly set up and/or wrongly corrected pair of progressive lenses? Obviously not, because if you had you wouldn't be on here making absurd comments. They can make the viewer confused and even nauseous. I've already been through that. It must have been in my head, right?

Subjective opinion not in a negative way... In your bet, only you can judge which lenses are better for you no one else, so, with 100 000฿ in the pot how are you going to decide?

The optician only issues a production sheet to the company which produces the lenses, the amount of technique involved to produce the latest progressive lenses is extreme and very expensive.

Your filipino optician is not involved in the actual production process, she only fills an order. If the glasses are delivered she can check if the order is made to the submitted specification or not, with her rather limited technical equipment.

The latest CNC machines measure the lense on up to 50000 points up to 1/1000mm , so the local optician can do only a basic check of the lenses.

However, I agree that the person who fills the prescription or submit the production sheet is by far the most important person in the process. If a mistakes happens at this point, there is no chance that the glasses will be any good for you.

If tropos optician is willing to provide the details of the production sheet , every other shop in Pattaya or Thailand which use the same supplier of lenses with the same machinery can produce an identical product - a digital copy.

As I understand Zinny optical is a USA company but lenses are produced in China.

Not every customer from Zinny is happy with there products, frames often described as flimsy and cheap. Well they are cheap...

As mentioned before, Opticians in Thailand are in the fortunate positions that here is not a lot of competition when it comes to high end products.

I live between Sattahip and Ban Chang, a village called Plutaluang - opposite Sirikit Hospital.

There are TWO opticians in this village, one is from the "Top" chain stores.

The "TOP" stores has three employes. I pass that shop about four times a day and because the shop is directly at a traffic light, I often have the pleasure to watch it for 2-3 minutes during red light.

99% of the time there is not a single customer in the shop!

So maybe they have 2-3 Customer a day max, still enough for them.

Shop is in business for about 4-5 years now.

That should give you an idea optical work in Thailand is a very profitable business or not...

All I know, after using a number of opticians in Pattaya - where all the girls seem to want to do is sell you the latest designer frame, is that Mr Tojo on 2nd Road gave me a test, supplied variable focal lenses and a new frame for 7000 baht. I am very pleased with the product. My wife also had a test,a single vision pair of new specs, both frames and lenses, for 1500 bhat.

99% of the time there is not a single customer in the shop!
So maybe they have 2-3 Customer a day max, still enough for them.
Shop is in business for about 4-5 years now.
That should give you an idea optical work in Thailand is a very profitable business or not...

Not really. All it tells you is they maybe making enough money to keep their doors open, and maybe they aren't. It certainly doesn't tell you they are very profitable. I see open businesses with no customers all over town. How they stay open is always a mystery to me.

Post your prescription, then we can all see if your eyes are anything different.

It would be really easy, but for some reason you don't want to do it.

Starting to think you are a shill for the firm you keep pushing.

(Which nobody in their right mind would use after the prices you quoted)

The OP was asking for recommendations. I gave a recommendation. You made a bet that you can get exactly the same item for 1/5 of what I'm paying and suggested that I'm being ripped off. Obviously if you shoot down someone's recommendation in such a manner heated debate is sure to follow. I don't give recommendations if I don't stand by them. Who does?

You made a bet. I accepted the bet and suggested a wager.

I could just as easily suggest you're a shill for the firm you are pushing. You provided the link (which I will not post again). Are you working for them? Perhaps you are them?

I made it quite clear in my earlier post that I don't have my final glasses yet, so why would I have a prescription on hand?

Why are you so desperate to see it? You want to find out if the bet is worth taking or not?

All I know, after using a number of opticians in Pattaya - where all the girls seem to want to do is sell you the latest designer frame, is that Mr Tojo on 2nd Road gave me a test, supplied variable focal lenses and a new frame for 7000 baht. I am very pleased with the product. My wife also had a test,a single vision pair of new specs, both frames and lenses, for 1500 bhat.

??? First time Tojo popped up. Where is he on 2nd Road. Is that the name if the shop ?

Edited by IAMHERE

??? First time Tojo popped up. Where is he on 2nd Road. Is that the name if the shop ?

My geography of second road is not good, in respect to soi numbers etc. Tojo is opposite the shopping centre (The one with McDonalds at the front). It's a long fronted shop with camera's and clocks etc for sale. I think it is signed Tojo's.

Sorry to be so vague but I know where it is and never thought about directions. I'm confident you can't miss it if you look on the beach road side of 2nd road opposite that shopping centre.

You can see I'm from the 'darkside' and only make rare forays into Pattaya!

UPDATE !!!!!!!

I stopped in at Euro Optics today and was greeted by Dr. Maria. She was very helpful and professional. The only bad thing is the price will be about 18000 baht for some new Glasses.

Think First Optic was about 9000 for same same top of the range glasses couple of years ago,yes went to Euro Optic,walked out at their pricing

Can you give me a good directions or location for First Optics ?

First optics do not know if he is on web but really really genuine guy, if not for Thailand he would be one of the best there is bar none Soi 17 off 3rd road best I can do, but try for Happy dental next door but one opposite the fruit market

You will not do better than this guy

I stopped in at First Optic on soi 17 near 3rd road yesterday, the doc was great . ordered some new glasses for 14,000 baht . He saved me 4,000 baht from the Euro Optic store. I will let you know more when I pick them up next week.

Breaks my heart if I have to pay more than 8000 for progressive lenses and frames.whistling.gif