Bifocals and Trasitional Lenses

ToddinChonburi

Looking for a good place for eye exam and to purchase glasses. I live in Muang chonburi and stopped in at The glass shop at Tesco Lotus. One girl pointed at the price 34,000 baht and another girl pointed at the 16,000 baht. I started to laugh and walked out. I am geussing I will travel to Pattaya to get new glasses.

I wear bifocals with Trasitional Lenses.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transitional lenses are expensive in Thailand. Couple of month ago was a thread about online ordering Transitions from USA in the Pattaya forum...
If I need new glasses I`ll try that out, get a prescription from Hospital and order online. I am sick and tired of the big optical chain in Thailand with there 53,156875% discount promotion all year long.

Lol I had my Thai girl friend with but she knows nothing about glasses. The girls took my glasses to the back room and were gone for about 15 minutes, I was making jokes to my girl that they were probably trying to steal the amazing USA technoligy that was is those wonderful pair of glasses. plenty of information in broshures in English but to bad no employee that could speak any. I may have to purchase when i go back to US to visit.

I have badly impaired vision and this week I've spent 3 1/2 hours (over 2 days) at Euro Optic on 2nd Road opposite the entrance to Royal Garden Plaza.

I'm being set up with 2 pairs of temporary glasses over a 2 week period in order to help train me to use progressive lenses and to ensure they are going to be perfect for my eyes. I have another session coming up next week. My permanent glasses will not be made until we are absolutely certain they are going to be the best they can be. The glasses and all the extras (temporary glasses) and consultations (3 or 4 sessions) are only costing me 20,000 baht. You will not get better service anywhere on the planet, never mind Pattaya.

The money you spend on the lenses is not important compared to getting them done right. The last pair of progressive lenses I had made up in Malaysia for 10,000 baht were unusable - wrong correction, too narrow and cheap lenses - I was ripped off. Progressive lenses come in 3 major categories - Basic, custom and personalized, all at different prices.

The Filipino owner has been in the business (in Pattaya and Phuket) for 18 years and is passionate about her work. There's no hard selling going on and she really cares. She speaks perfect English and Thai.

Edited by tropo

I have badly impaired vision and this week I've spent 3 1/2 hours (over 2 days) at Euro Optic on 2nd Road opposite the entrance to Royal Garden Plaza.

I'm being set up with 2 pairs of temporary glasses over a 2 week period in order to help train me to use progressive lenses and to ensure they are going to be perfect for my eyes. I have another session coming up next week. My permanent glasses will not be made until we are absolutely certain they are going to be the best they can be. The glasses and all the extras (temporary glasses) and consultations (3 or 4 sessions) are only costing me 20,000 baht. You will not get better service anywhere on the planet, never mind Pattaya.

The money you spend on the lenses is not important compared to getting them done right. The last pair of progressive lenses I had made up in Malaysia for 10,000 baht were unusable - wrong correction, too narrow and cheap lenses - I was ripped off. Progressive lenses come in 3 major categories - Basic, custom and personalized, all at different prices.

The Filipino owner has been in the business (in Pattaya and Phuket) for 18 years and is passionate about her work. There's no hard selling going on and she really cares. She speaks perfect English and Thai.

Let us know how this goes.

Are you talking about progressive lenses or photochromic transitions lenses?

I've had glasses (and numerous new prescriptions over the years) that are both progressive and transition lenses that I've bought at Euro Optics across from Royal Garden on Second Rd in Pattaya. They are quite expensive. I've also bought new lenses that are both progressive and transition from one of those shops that you see everywhere ... Beautiful Optics or something like that. They offer different quality lenses from around Baht 15,000 to over Baht 50,000. The lower priced ones make you feel like you're looking through a warped fish bowl, but the better quality lenses from either place are excellent.

A couple of years ago when I was getting a new pair at Euro Optics, since I was in no rush, they offered to have the lenses made in Germany. I thought they might be of better quality, but the German ones were absolute crap. Made me feel dizzy and have headaches with the fishbowl feeling. They had them redone in Bangkok at no additional charge and they were excellent.

If you only mean bifocals with transition lenses, they should be a great deal cheaper, but there will be a large price range dependent on quality. The progressive lenses with no bifocal line are what makes the price more expensive.

Also the frames can make a big difference. I often take along a comfortable fitting old pair of glasses and have them put the new lenses in them.

One consumer site advises this (not in reference to Thailand)

Is a pair of $500 glasses better than a pair of $200 glasses? Not necessarily.

Expect to pay about this much for complete pairs of glasses, frame AND lenses (subject to regional differences):
Single vision glasses: Between $100 and $300.
Lined multi-focal glasses: Between $150 and $400.
Progressive glasses: Between $200 and $600.
Non-glare coatings: add $75 to $150.
Changeable tint lenses: add $75 to $150.

The bottom line is if you are paying more than $900 for progressive lenses with AR and Transitions Lenses® then look around and ask some serious questions about what you are getting (you can get the best of all three for that much or less with NO exceptions). With the exception of “Packages”, “warehouse prices” or some Internet retailers if you are paying much less, I would question the quality of the product you are receiving. See below on Internet shopping.

Edited by Suradit69

I have a friend here a retired USA optometrist. He told me that eye glasses have the biggest mark up of any product. How and where can one order glasses as I need new ones this year.

There are too many optometrists in town to count. Take your pick. Any will be happy to knock up a pair for you. I see buy one get 3 free deals too...

Are you talking about progressive lenses or photochromic transitions lenses?

I've had glasses (and numerous new prescriptions over the years) that are both progressive and transition lenses that I've bought at Euro Optics across from Royal Garden on Second Rd in Pattaya. They are quite expensive. I've also bought new lenses that are both progressive and transition from one of those shops that you see everywhere ... Beautiful Optics or something like that. They offer different quality lenses from around Baht 15,000 to over Baht 50,000. The lower priced ones make you feel like you're looking through a warped fish bowl, but the better quality lenses from either place are excellent.

A couple of years ago when I was getting a new pair at Euro Optics, since I was in no rush, they offered to have the lenses made in Germany. I thought they might be of better quality, but the German ones were absolute crap. Made me feel dizzy and have headaches with the fishbowl feeling. They had them redone in Bangkok at no additional charge and they were excellent.

If you only mean bifocals with transition lenses, they should be a great deal cheaper, but there will be a large price range dependent on quality. The progressive lenses with no bifocal line are what makes the price more expensive.

Also the frames can make a big difference. I often take along a comfortable fitting old pair of glasses and have them put the new lenses in them.

One consumer site advises this (not in reference to Thailand)

Is a pair of $500 glasses better than a pair of $200 glasses? Not necessarily.

Expect to pay about this much for complete pairs of glasses, frame AND lenses (subject to regional differences):

Single vision glasses: Between $100 and $300.

Lined multi-focal glasses: Between $150 and $400.

Progressive glasses: Between $200 and $600.

Non-glare coatings: add $75 to $150.

Changeable tint lenses: add $75 to $150.

The bottom line is if you are paying more than $900 for progressive lenses with AR and Transitions Lenses® then look around and ask some serious questions about what you are getting (you can get the best of all three for that much or less with NO exceptions). With the exception of “Packages”, “warehouse prices” or some Internet retailers if you are paying much less, I would question the quality of the product you are receiving. See below on Internet shopping.

I think your quote focuses too much on price and not the expertise of the optometrist. As a recipient of crap glasses from different optometrists in the past (and paying handsomely too), I don't go on prices at all. Perhaps your eyes are straight forward and any optometrist can make you reasonable glasses, but for me that's not possible.

Euro Optic may have changed a bit since you were last there. Years ago they had quite a few trainee optometrists from the Philippines working in there. Due to tougher economic times, that's no longer the case and now the owner works alone. They're also closed the Phuket branch.

In Japan, the progressive bifocals are cheaper than the bifocals with lines. I can get the lenses here for 9,000 yen ($90) but it's hard to find frames that fit my face well. I bought my present frames and progressive transitions from my long-time optometrist in Garden Grove, CA, Dr Yoo. He has consistently nailed my prescription over the years. Before, when I had cataracts, he was the only doctor who could make lenses that I was comfortable with. My present glasses with a high quality frame cost me about $800 but the bifocal is placed precisely where I want it so that the reading-strength part doesn't impinge on my normal gaze. I will get a spare pair of glasses from him later this month. For non-transitions glasses, that is tinted progressive bifocals, I have found Big C across from Central World to be good. The technicians are competent and the glasses are pretty cheap. I reuse old frames so I've only bought lenses for quite a while.

When I lived in Jomtien I had several pairs of progressive glasses made by Euro optic, What you say is absolutly true.

She takes a great deal of pride in her work, every pair I had made there were very well done.

• Like 1

Based on recommendations in an earlier thread, my wife and I both got new glasses at Pattaya Optical, on Pattaya Klang, just east of Second Road, north side of the street. Not bifocals nor transitional, but they do have them. Massive selection of frames.

We were impressed with the service and the optometrist - he was very knowledgeable, had modern equipment, spoke perfect English. We bought. 2 pair each at 2500 per set and had them in a couple of days.

http://www.pattayaoptical.com/

Edited by WaywardWind

I have progressive lenses, No line bifocas and they turn dark when I go outside. Transitional lenses.

Can I get a little more info on the Euro Optical, Doctors name and some detailed location or directions

I live about 45 km north of Pattaya in Muang Chonburi, I am some what familar with main roads in Pattaya.

Pattaya Nua, Pattya Klang , Pattaya South, beach road, second road.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions

Optical work here is an expensive joke.

I get my reading glasses done during my yearly visit to the UK. For about 5000B total I can get new lenses for 3 pairs of glasses (or two complete new pairs including frames), and a proper and complete eye-test by a fully qualified professional with decades of experience.

If for some reason I stopped going to the UK and needed new lenses and a test I would probably go to Manila and get it done there. Good and cheap.

Tried progressive lenses once and hated them. I doubt I will ever try them again unless my distance version gets much worse and requires lenses.

• Like 1

For inexpensive glasses have been using mail order for last five years and very happy with products and service. You would have to obtain prescription information but that can be done inexpensively from hospital or clinic Ophthalmologist (there is no formal 2nd level Optometrist system here that I am aware of). This obviously is not for everyone or those feeling adjustments are required but at a cost of about 3,000 baht for variable lens with frames not a huge investment.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

• Like 1

When I lived in Jomtien I had several pairs of progressive glasses made by Euro optic, What you say is absolutly true.

She takes a great deal of pride in her work, every pair I had made there were very well done.

I'm just giving back. I found out about Euro Optic on this forum years ago, so it's now time to put in a good word.

I have progressive lenses, No line bifocas and they turn dark when I go outside. Transitional lenses.

Can I get a little more info on the Euro Optical, Doctors name and some detailed location or directions

I live about 45 km north of Pattaya in Muang Chonburi, I am some what familar with main roads in Pattaya.

Pattaya Nua, Pattya Klang , Pattaya South, beach road, second road.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions

Maybe this will help.

She's not into marketing at all (which is a good thing).

She closes early (5pm) and is not open on Sundays and after close she pulls down a roller door so anyone coming past would think they've gone out of business.

post-34982-0-47932600-1410077069_thumb.j

I'm just giving back. I found out about Euro Optic on this forum years ago, so it's now time to put in a good word.

+1. Same, read about her on the forum. I got my last pair of glasses there and agree she's really good.

Optical work here is an expensive joke.

I get my reading glasses done during my yearly visit to the UK. For about 5000B total I can get new lenses for 3 pairs of glasses (or two complete new pairs including frames), and a proper and complete eye-test by a fully qualified professional with decades of experience.

If for some reason I stopped going to the UK and needed new lenses and a test I would probably go to Manila and get it done there. Good and cheap.

Tried progressive lenses once and hated them. I doubt I will ever try them again unless my distance version gets much worse and requires lenses.

It's likely your progressive lenses didn't work because they were set up incorrectly, which was the case with a pair I had made up years ago. It's also possible you need training, which requires quite a bit of time and intensive effort by the optometrist. Something you're unlikely to find at a shopping mall in Manila.

Maria at Euro Optic is putting me on a training program to ensure I can use progressive lenses.

What this means:

1st week: Using training glasses with distance and middle distance corrections only.

2nd week: Using different training glasses with near (computer) and distance corrections combined.

3rd week: Using training glasses with distance, near (computer) and reading (very close) corrections combined. (only if it is possible - I won't be adding this correction as I've decided to keep separate glasses for close reading).

She'll even let me test out photochromic lenses to decide if I like them.

All goes well, final lenses are produced.

I'm a very difficult case and I consider 20K all up a very good deal.

You need to learn (adapt) to progressive lenses and there's a lot of skill in making good ones.

Why go to Manila when Manila is already here. Maria at Euro Optic is from Manila.

Edited by tropo

It's likely your progressive lenses didn't work because they were set up incorrectly, which was the case with a pair I had made up years ago. It's also possible you need training, which requires quite a bit of time and intensive effort by the optometrist. Something you're unlikely to find at a shopping mall in Manila.

I get my glasses in the UK as I mentioned in some detail. The progressive lenses came from there also, and were set up by an expert who has always been spot on with all my other lenses and frames. I simply hated them from the outset and had absolutely no desire to get used to them.

No contest. First Optic in Pattaya Sai Song 16, but close to the traffic lights where it intersects Pattaya 3rd Road.

I wear bifocals and went to Euro Optic and was quoted almost 30,000 a pair.

First Optic (recommended by other forum members in previous threads) was fast, efficient, courteous and English speaking.

For less than 12,000 I got a pair of bifocals in titanium frames, a new set of lens in existing frames and a pair of single vision (for computer use only) in Nikon frames. So basically 3 pairs....

Highly recommended.

No contest. First Optic in Pattaya Sai Song 16, but close to the traffic lights where it intersects Pattaya 3rd Road.

First Optic (recommended by other forum members in previous threads) was fast, efficient, courteous and English speaking.

For less than 12,000 I got a pair of bifocals in titanium frames, a new set of lens in existing frames and a pair of single vision (for computer use only) in Nikon frames. So basically 3 pairs....

Highly recommended.

Seriously, spouting out prices is meaningless unless we compare exact items from one shop to another. That's very hard to do considering the huge spectrum of lenses and frames available.

Highly recommended.

Seriously, spouting out prices is meaningless unless we compare exact items from one shop to another. That's very hard to do considering the huge spectrum of lenses and frames available.

Err.... yes I did. Same brand, style (model number) of frames and same Hoya lens.

I repeat, 3 pairs for 12,000 compared to one pair for almost 30,000.

Nothing wrong with Euro Optic if you like being ripped off.

Edited by Just Curious

Highly recommended.

Err.... yes I did. Same brand, style (model number) of frames and same Hoya lens.

I repeat, 3 pairs for 12,000 compared to one pair for almost 30,000.

Nothing wrong with Euro Optic if you like being ripped off.

I don't believe you. Tell me exactly what you got and I'll get the Euro Optic price next week.

Were they bifocals or progressive lenses? What brand, model number and style.

If you're going to make accusations that Euro Optic is ripping you off, we better get the facts.

I'm betting you can get the same order filled here for under 4,000bht.

(They offer 5 different types of progressive lens, and recommend the best one for your prescription, all done online)

20k, they're having a laugh!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I'm betting you can get the same order filled here for under 4,000bht.

(They offer 5 different types of progressive lens, and recommend the best one for your prescription, all done online)

20k, they're having a laugh!

So you want to bet then...

Ok, I'll bet that if you can provide me a pair of progressive lens glasses as good as what I get from Euro Optic next week for 4000 baht, I will give you 100k. We can go to Zen, or anywhere else you choose. Of course losing this bet, which I'm certain you will, will cost you 100k.

Let's get it on!

There you go - have a laugh and make some money while you're at it.

Edited by tropo

He is not kidding - I have bought three pair of high index progressive lens glasses from them and delivered within a week and all have been about 3k baht per pair. Optics are a very high markup item in Thailand - which is why you see so many one customer a week chain shops open.

• Like 2

He is not kidding - I have bought three pair of high index progressive lens glasses from them and delivered within a week and all have been about 3k baht per pair. Optics are a very high markup item in Thailand - which is why you see so many one customer a week chain shops open.

Indeed. In my experience the only choice you have for optical work here is expensive or very expensive, and as you mention all the shops seem to be permanently devoid of customers. Which is odd given that medical/dental type work is generally quite reasonable here and the practitioners of it are usually quite busy.

I suppose that Thais on average incomes just buy from the 100B glasses vendors one sees everywhere.

• Like 1

I'm also not kidding about the bet. Others are also welcome to apply.

Edited by tropo