Why I would rather live in Thailand than America

flyingsaucersarereal

I've never seen a house in the US made of cardboard.

^ Me neither but my guess is he was referring to pressed particle board which has become a standard in house building and is replacing plywood. Never get it wet however, it will fall apart plus it swells. Amazing this is used in bathrooms as a sub-floor.

• Like 2

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drywall=cardboard drywall is a papyrus material ie cardboard, when you can press a tack into it with your fingers-that's cardboard, in some of the houses here and especially the condo's they use drywall for the individual rooms in the property, but in most even the rooms are brick.. drywall inside a property is ok and is often used when a property is renovated to create the new or different rooms.. but the outer walls of all houses and apartment/condo buildings here are all brick with a steel reinforced concrete frame.

In the US the ENTIRE house is cardboard with a cheap wooden frame, the only concrete is the slab that the house is built on, the apartment complexes are also constructed this way, the only housing there that uses steel reinforced concrete are high-rise condo's- and that type of housing is rare and usually reserved for the super rich, where as here in bangkok almost anyone with a medium income can live in a highrise condo flat..

The housing here, especially when you consider how inexpensive it is, is just WAY better then what you can get in the states, its the whole reason i been here so long.. what i pay here for a luxury high rise condo (about $700us/month includes everything)-in LB CA I would be in a slum, complete with that ugly dirty old carpet and roaches and the stains on the drywall and the dingy smell from all that old rotting cheap materials..

Edited by pkspeaker

1. one thing that really sucks about thailand is how the locals treat every open area as a garbage dump. take a ride on the airport express and get a view of 10,000 make shift land fills.

2. It is not like CBS homes are super expensive or something. what does a cinderblock cost? $2/each? Standard to have CBS home in Florida.

Drywall=cardboard drywall is a papyrus material ie cardboard, when you can press a tack into it with your fingers-that's cardboard, in some of the houses here and especially the condo's they use drywall for the individual rooms in the property, but in most even the rooms are brick.. drywall inside a property is ok and is often used when a property is renovated to create the new or different rooms.. but the outer walls of all houses and apartment/condo buildings here are all brick with a steel reinforced concrete frame.

In the US the ENTIRE house is cardboard with a cheap wooden frame, the only concrete is the slab that the house is built on, the apartment complexes are also constructed this way, the only housing there that uses steel reinforced concrete are high-rise condo's- and that type of housing is rare and usually reserved for the super rich, where as here in bangkok almost anyone with a medium income can live in a highrise condo flat..

The housing here, especially when you consider how inexpensive it is, is just WAY better then what you can get in the states, its the whole reason i been here so long.. what i pay here for a luxury high rise condo (about $700us/month includes everything)-in LB CA I would be in a slum, complete with that ugly dirty old carpet and roaches and the stains on the drywall and the dingy smell from all that old rotting cheap materials..

I have lived in homes with Sheetrock walls for decades and have been very happy. What the heck do I need steel reinforced concrete for in a residential home? We have never had any problems.

No matter what the material, if one maintains and takes pride in his/her home, that home will last for decades. Sheetrock is easy to maintain and paint, and if one wants to modify a room, add a window etc, it is a fairly easy project.

In the US there is a television network called HGTV. One of the periodic shows is called House Hunters International where a couple are looking to buy or rent a home in some far off place. Countries everywhere have completely different standards for homes and apartments including materials, sizes and prices and those people adapt and find a home.

That is what we do rather than waste energy on silly arguments over which country builds the best quality of homes and/or condos.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

I have lived in homes with Sheetrock walls for decades and have been very happy. What the heck do I need steel reinforced concrete for in a residential home? We have never had any problems.

No matter what the material, if one maintains and takes pride in his/her home, that home will last for decades. Sheetrock is easy to maintain and paint, and if one wants to modify a room, add a window etc, it is a fairly easy project.

In the US there is a television network called HGTV. One of the periodic shows is called House Hunters International where a couple are looking to buy or rent a home in some far off place. Countries everywhere have completely different standards for homes and apartments including materials, sizes and prices and those people adapt and find a home.

That is what we do rather than waste energy on silly arguments over which country builds the best quality of homes and/or condos.

Who is we?

• Like 1

Yea I think US housing is fine with the sheetrock-its not that the houses are bad it's just that concrete,brick,and steel is much stronger and durable, especially in cases of disaster, I would expect that (if they existed) new brick&concrete houses would cost more.. but maybe some people would prefer the sheetrock&wood houses because they feel concrete dwellings are too cave-like and they don't like the radiators that are necessary to heat a brick house. but my original question is that why is it that ALL houses in the US (talking about the ones built by developers, suburban type houses that are so common in America) are built with sheetrock? You would think that at least a few developers would build a housing tract that featured some nice brick houses.. its almost like it's against the rules there or something.

the room is small but yea $700/m and i'm up high with a nice view and its even a corner unit, looks pretty nice to me, in the US it would definently be considered 'luxury'

Edited by pkspeaker

Yea I think US housing is fine with the sheetrock-its not that the houses are bad it's just that concrete,brick,and steel is much stronger and durable, especially in cases of disaster, I would expect that (if they existed) new brick&concrete houses would cost more.. but maybe some people would prefer the sheetrock&wood houses because they feel concrete dwellings are too cave-like and they don't like the radiators that are necessary to heat a brick house. but my original question is that why is it that ALL houses in the US (talking about the ones built by developers, suburban type houses that are so common in America) are built with sheetrock? You would think that at least a few developers would build a housing tract that featured some nice brick houses.. its almost like it's against the rules there or something.

Concrete and brick tends to collapse, crushing all inside during earthquake.

Wood and sheet tend to burn to the ground during fire, and wash away during flood.

In California you can't win, but the rest of the world, choose according to local disaster records.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

yea and i seriously think that the insurance racket is another factor, in the US if developers were making brick houses, none of the home owners would need fire or flood insurance..their probably all in bed together

and with modern construction techniques it's possible to make the structures earth-quake safe® no matter what they are made of..

Edited by pkspeaker

I was only twice in USA but the girls there were very friendly.....

Only problem they were triple the weight of a Thai girl and still double of my weight.....

The light weights were unfriendly....

Last time in Europe I was shocked....somehow it seems Sumo Wrestling got a national sport, at least the body shapes looked that way.....

california is not representative of the US. Check out other areas, like the south. Plenty of brick homes.

I also lived in Houston TX in the 80's never saw anything out there , some of the houses did have bricks on 1 side of the house, usually adjoined to a brick fireplace and chiminey, but they were all wooden framed and sheetrocked for the most part.. same with the apartment complexes..

california is not representative of the US. Check out other areas, like the south. Plenty of brick homes.

Here is a reason I prefer Thailand over the US, Asian/Indian drivers here in America are the poorest, most clueless, most oblivious people on the road. They cause more wrecks, more driver road rage, most traffic delays of any race here hands down. They are utterly lost driving on what people say are the best roads in the world. Go Figure. When out on a freeway with a speed limit of 60, a family of 4 in a Toyota Camry will go 40 in the fast lane causing people to have to make drastic actions to get around them. You go by and they are oblivious to anything around them. They stop randomly at green lights while they decide where to go. They make left turns from the far the far right lane regularly causing wrecks. They hit each other at stoplights.

I dodged stupid Asian drivers all day today on a 40 mile trip to pick up some gear. When I am in Thailand this never ever happens to me. I absolutely prefer driving in Thailand and never see that behavior. Everyday is a challenge driving here.

Now I know a hole bunch of you are going to come on here and fire back that Thailand is the worst and unless you have driven in both places for extended periods of time to offer a fair comparison it will be hard to believe you. There are far more accidents in California alone then Thailand has a country I would beg to guess. Its why insurance rates are $1300 to $1500 a year and more to insure a car. There are multiple car pile ups everyday. I see on my way to work and on my way home nearly everyday. I never saw accidents everyday in Thailand even when I lived in BKK for 2+ years. Even my Thai wife has been amazed at the level of stupidity here. She says man the Asian drivers here are pretty stupid.

• Like 1

Here is a reason I prefer Thailand over the US, Asian/Indian drivers here in America are the poorest, most clueless, most oblivious people on the road. They cause more wrecks, more driver road rage, most traffic delays of any race here hands down. They are utterly lost driving on what people say are the best roads in the world. Go Figure. When out on a freeway with a speed limit of 60, a family of 4 in a Toyota Camry will go 40 in the fast lane causing people to have to make drastic actions to get around them. You go by and they are oblivious to anything around them. They stop randomly at green lights while they decide where to go. They make left turns from the far the far right lane regularly causing wrecks. They hit each other at stoplights.

I dodged stupid Asian drivers all day today on a 40 mile trip to pick up some gear. When I am in Thailand this never ever happens to me. I absolutely prefer driving in Thailand and never see that behavior. Everyday is a challenge driving here.

Now I know a hole bunch of you are going to come on here and fire back that Thailand is the worst and unless you have driven in both places for extended periods of time to offer a fair comparison it will be hard to believe you. There are far more accidents in California alone then Thailand has a country I would beg to guess. Its why insurance rates are $1300 to $1500 a year and more to insure a car. There are multiple car pile ups everyday. I see on my way to work and on my way home nearly everyday. I never saw accidents everyday in Thailand even when I lived in BKK for 2+ years. Even my Thai wife has been amazed at the level of stupidity here. She says man the Asian drivers here are pretty stupid.

I like your post.....At first I thought your description of Asians driving was that of Thai drivers in Thailand ....as I see those same kinds of things happening daily here in Thailand!

But then I realized you were talking about asian drivers in America.....LOL

I think the Asian drivers in America have just brought with them their Asian driving skills (none) and mentality (think only of themselves when driving) to America which is very contary to defensive driving and all around awareness that most American drivers practice,

For some reason ....I have no patience for those kind of drivers in America and it drives me NUTS!w00t.gif

BUT here in Thailand since its such a common occurence to see such blatant selfishness by locals when driving .....well...you just deal with it and move on otherwise it WILL drive you NUTS

I am just impressed at your ability to dodge all those crazy CA drivers and at the same time you are able to pin point the nationalities of those same drivers.

If correct driving is that important to you, go to Germany. I am being serious.

I am just impressed at your ability to dodge all those crazy CA drivers and at the same time you are able to pin point the nationalities of those same drivers.

Well I have been in motorsports and raced cars for years. One thing you quickly learn is know your surroundings and multi task. I am keenly aware of all people around me virtually all the time. When you have to blow past somebody going idiotic slow I always look. If its not Chinese or Vietnamese its Indians, They drive with zero road awareness and total disregard. What I believe to be the problem is this state(country) becomes more and more politically correct and as we do we offer driver license tests in the immigrants native language so they can pass. Why, well everyone has to drive to survive around here because there is zero public transportation. The underlying issue is that all the road signs are in English and they simply cannot process information to make sense of it all. This is why they are a danger to themselves and clearly others. We should absolutely mandate all tests be taken in English. NO EXCEPTIONS! I can say I am personally tired of having to make exceptions for immigrants. Like me in Thailand, I do not want any exceptions for me. I am a immigrant in Thailand. If I do not know I go learn. I don't cop out and say...'Oh Gee I'm an immigrant, I can go 50 on the freeway and cause wrecks because I can't read Thai"

The above is another reason why I prefer Thailand.

Edited by JAFO

Well I have been in motorsports and raced cars for years. One thing you quickly learn is know your surroundings and multi task. I am keenly aware of all people around me virtually all the time. When you have to blow past somebody going idiotic slow I always look. If its not Chinese or Vietnamese its Indians, They drive with zero road awareness and total disregard. What I believe to be the problem is this state(country) becomes more and more politically correct and as we do we offer driver license tests in the immigrants native language so they can pass. Why, well everyone has to drive to survive around here because there is zero public transportation. The underlying issue is that all the road signs are in English and they simply cannot process information to make sense of it all. This is why they are a danger to themselves and clearly others. We should absolutely mandate all tests be taken in English. NO EXCEPTIONS! I can say I am personally tired of having to make exceptions for immigrants. Like me in Thailand, I do not want any exceptions for me. I am a immigrant in Thailand. If I do not know I go learn. I don't cop out and say...'Oh Gee I'm an immigrant, I can go 50 on the freeway and cause wrecks because I can't read Thai"

The above is another reason why I prefer Thailand.

After obtaining a drivers license in Thailand for both the automobile and scooter, I am very happy for the allowances in the process made for me as a non native with a rudimentary knowledge of Thai at best.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I like Vegas I have been there many times but you are comparing Vegas one of the cheapest places to live in the U.S with Bangkok one of the most expensive places to live in Thailand not the fairest of comparisons. I mean seriously I don't know what you are talking about you can get homes for 7000 baht a month in Bangkok 3 bedrooms your telling me America is cheaper than that please show me because I want to know where those homes are.

The cost of living in Las Vegas is almost exactly at the US average.

I am not sure where you can buy a house in Bangkok and have a 7,000 baht mortgage. In fact, I don't know where you can rent one. We have been looking for a home for the in-laws. In Nonthanburi and Thonburi, about the cheapest we have found so far is 9,000 baht for a two bedroom townhome. Be that as it may, I was referring to buying a home.

I have friends with homes that are 7000 baht a month for there mortgage but even if it was 9000 which is about $300 what Vegas homes are that much monthly seems pretty low?

I don't know about your friends, but that low a mortgage at today's rates in Thailand would mean a 30 year mortgage for a 900,000 baht house. I don't know too many 3-bedroom houses in Bangkok going for that price. In Nonthanburi, an old, run-down two bedroom townhouse is going for 1.5 to 2.0, at least in the areas we've been searching. My own 3-bedroom was much, much more than that.

Not my home in Vegas, but I can buy a three bedroom home near the Air Force base for 1-2 million baht. Small, and not in a great area, true, but as good if not better than the townhomes we looked at in Nonthanburi for the in-laws.

the room is small but yea $700/m and i'm up high with a nice view and its even a corner unit, looks pretty nice to me, in the US it would definently be considered 'luxury'

Not to beat a dead horse, but why when there is an earthquake in the US are so few homes and buildings damaged when compared to other countries if the quality of home construction is supposedly so low? Compare earthquakes of the same magnitude in the US and in other countries and see where the fatalities and damage is lowest.

• Like 2

I have been through 8 hurricanes in the USA. One might say I am a hurricane magnet. The fact that I have lived in Texas, Florida and Louisiana may have had something to do with it. I learned a few things being through many hurricanes; 1. Check your insurance. 2. Check your insurance and 3. Check your insurance.

I got tired of fighting with insurance companies and moved to Thailand. Where I live I still have an large body of salt water but no hurricanes. Since the reason I came to Thailand is to save money and live an extravagant lifestyle I would never live in Phuket. So I don't worry about tidal waves. Maybe I should but I don't.

Drywall=cardboard drywall is a papyrus material ie cardboard...

No, drywall is not cardboard. How did you get this stupidity into your head?

Drywall, is almost always made of gypsum plaster, which is covered on the exterior by thick sheets of paper.

Yes, it is susceptible to being damaged by water. But under normal circumstances, the material is strong, flexible (great for earthquake prone areas), and can be easily prepped for painting. Unlike brick, drywall will not show cracks after a (new) house has settled a few millimeters. If a section of drywall gets damaged (for whatever reason), it can be easily be replaced; the same could not be said for brick.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

Did you know that Thai people are considered Asian? Why did you marry a stupid person? Never mind, I already know the answer.

Drywall=cardboard drywall is a papyrus material ie cardboard...

No, drywall is not cardboard. How did you get this stupidity into your head?

Drywall, is almost always made of gypsum plaster, which is covered on the exterior by thick sheets of paper.

Yes, it is susceptible to being damaged by water. But under normal circumstances, the material is strong, flexible (great for earthquake prone areas), and can be easily prepped for painting. Unlike brick, drywall will not show cracks after a (new) house has settled a few millimeters. If a section of drywall gets damaged (for whatever reason), it can be easily be replaced; the same could not be said for brick.

Water-resistant drywall has been around for over 25 years. Many people recognize it from the green-colored paper facing. In fact, it is affectionately called green board by builders and drywall hangers. It is a great product when it is used exactly as it was designed to be used.

• Like 2

Dude, America is a continent so stop calling yourself An American.

You are a USA citizen and subject to fbar, fatca, etc.

Only real Mexican illegal immigrants can call themselves real American. You are not an American, you are a tax payer, a ssn... . You are something between the wonderful Canada and the lone Star state. smile.png

"Only real Mexican illegal immigrants can call themselves real American."

Tell me how the Mexicans came to speak Spanish?

Not to go too far off topic but I've been downloading Mexican colour palettes for the coming exterior paint up of one of the village homes. Extraordinary inspiration. I also like tacos.

Wouldn't want to live there though.

Sorry. Carry on.

Tacos are the shit.

Please explain your reasoning to the entire planet. I travel the world and when people ask me where I am from, I say the USA. Inevitably, 99% of the time, they say, oh you mean American? You cannot say I am a usain. Can you? So what can we call ourselves, Mr. Genius? The only bozo besides you that told me I was not American, was Mexican. He had a point. So, erase 100 years of popular culture and tendency, and I am not longer an American.