Why I would rather live in Thailand than America

flyingsaucersarereal

Hey Anotheroneamerican

I can speak Thai and by far Thai people are nicer than Americans.

Housing is cheaper in America? Yeah maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere not a city and still that would be hard to find.

I am fine with not owning a house I can just rent or buy a apartment.

Nicer, sure, but do you genuinely connect with any of em? Not saying anything negative about Thais, but there's definitely a trade-off.

• Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading an interesting statistic. There are over 46 million people here in America actively using the Food stamp system (SNAP). Thailand only has 66 Million people as a country and some how there are people that call the US a 1st world country.

This is another reason I would rather live in Thailand. I can retire early rather then work until 65 and older and not pay anymore outrageous Fed and State taxes to support the 46 million people living in poverty of which most know are milking the system. I "unvoluntarily" contribute 35-38% of my income annually to support those people and all those infrastructures some posters tout as being the best hands down. This is one of those "Awesome"thumbsup.gif infrastructures we can claim we have living in the US. I know I am proud to contribute to it. I wonder how many of those SNAP recipients live in those $75,000 to $100,000 dollar homes we have been seeing links over and over in this and other posts?

Just saying

• Like 1

I know a skinny Thai lady who have been to USA with her UK husband. Just for a 3 weeks trip.

She said :"it s horrible, the food is disgusting , they serve mash bean, you don't know what they put in this food(probably she went to a taco hell fast food restaurant) , people are gross and vulgar, country is boring, nothing for kilometers, they are all obese,it s expensive, rent a car, hotel.... Everything Cost a lot of money"

They were both happy to come back to Thailand.

I just report what they said. Don't ban me....

Edited by Digitalnomade

I know a skinny Thai lady who have been to USA with her UK husband. Just for a 3 weeks trip.

She said :"it s horrible, the food is disgusting , they serve mash bean, you don't know what they put in this food(probably she went to a taco hell fast food restaurant) , people are gross and vulgar, country is boring, nothing for kilometers, they are all obese,it s expensive, rent a car, hotel.... Everything Cost a lot of money"

Can't argue with any of that.

What's her take on the UK?

Just curious.

Must have gone on holiday in the wonderful state of Alabama.....beer belly capital of USA. (Alabama and Mississippi have the most obese people of all states, over 30%)

Obviously didn't go to , New York, New Orleans, Chicago, Boston or San Francisco or the many other wonderful places to visit in the US! Funny thing is my Thai wife's reaction about the food was the exact opposite, but then again we went to Thai Restaurants where the food was outstanding (even better than in Thailand) and prices good $4-$6/dish.

From the description given by her I though she was talking about Englandwub.png

Edited by beachproperty

@Cypress Hill

I wholeheartedly agree that SOME guys are setting themselves up for a bank cleaning event and send themselves to ruins. Not all, but some. I would like to see the statistic of how many times foreigners have bought land with their Thai wives only to be ousted and lose it all. Be an interesting number for sure.

And how many of us bought houses in the west only to be ousted by our western wife and lose it all?

I'm thinking about the same interesting percentage.

(I don't know many guys who made it out here with their pension and house intact)

I know a fat American lady who came to Thailand with her husband for a 2 week holiday.

She said: "It's horrible, the food is disgusting (too spicy, poor quality meat), bowls of mashed green slime, you don't know what they put in it (Insects?).

Vulgar, loud hookers everywhere, and everyone trying to rip us off ...... the police scammed us for 20,000bht."

Same, same!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

@Cypress Hill

I wholeheartedly agree that SOME guys are setting themselves up for a bank cleaning event and send themselves to ruins. Not all, but some. I would like to see the statistic of how many times foreigners have bought land with their Thai wives only to be ousted and lose it all. Be an interesting number for sure.

And how many of us bought houses in the west only to be ousted by our western wife and lose it all?

(I don't know many guys who made it out here with their pension and house intact)

Not me and not a LOT of other guys, AOA.

Bought and sold house; banked the coin; not a penny chiseled off to a bird.

All about the choices you make, bro.

• Like 1

@Cypress Hill

@AOA,

I agree. Interesting stat indeed. I am a divorcee. My ex and I split amicably(we became different people with different aspirations). She stayed in our home until my youngest daughter turned 18 which was quite a few years back. I moved into a rented condo. The agreement was to sell after she went off to college. I only saw half the equity by law but I payed in waaaaay more then she did. Even with a " friendly" split, Cal law is a mandatory asset split of 50/50. Now I am not bothered by it, whats done is done. We both worked(Although I was clearly the larger contributor) to acquire what we had at the time of split, however the split gave her a large lump of money. I guess this is why I look at what I am doing in regards to building a small humble home in Thailand as not a big risk. The cash outlay is just a fraction of what was settled in my divorce. I will say I am one of the fortunate ones as we did the divorce with no attorney's. We both agreed that involving them would be a blood sucking event as that's all attorneys do here is keep couples fighting so they can just run them through the ringers.

Now some guys get absolutely cleared out. The 3 I know that did all got caught having an affair. As we know, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". While I had some empathy for them, they should have just separated, got divorced and then started dating. They lost 50% of all assets, were ousted, had to pay mortgage on their place and rent in the apartment, child support and supplemental alimony. This does not include attorney fees and the endless court appearances. Now I do not know about you, But there is no VJJ worth that cost anywhere in the world. Men sometimes deserve exactly what they get.

• Like 1

An America bashing thread.... how original.

From my experience - 10+ years in Thailand, 3 years in USA, - with the exceptions for "services" and excluding places like NY/California, USA is overall cheaper than Thailand when comparing the same things. Includes housing, food, cars, gasoline, manufactured goods. Even income taxes are lower in USA.

People that say otherwise are kidding themselves. The only exceptions being services where cost of labor is factored in and naturally Thailand is cheaper. This would include things like eating at a resturant or medical costs. However, school education in USA offers better value for money than Thailand

Overall, for the average American and without medical costs factored in, then there is not really much cost benefit by living in Thailand - unless you desperately want to live in Thailand. However, if you don't have medical benefits coverage in USA or medicare eligible then Thailand would win easily as a lower cost destination.

For me, the cheaper medical costs is the deciding factor, but as a better quality place for living, definitely America wins.

Odd, but I find the opposite to be true on just about every point you make... I won't bother to go point, counter-point with you as that is futile... You have your anecdotal experience and I have mine... All I can say is that if you find Thailand more expensive that the US, then you are trying to duplicate your western lifestyle in Thailand, which will always be higher due to vast difference in tax / import duty structures between the two countries... As the saying goes, to each his own...

^I tend to agree with LOPTR, When you put it all into a spreadsheet (which I have done on quite a few occasions for a reality check) along with considering certain variables, Thailand is significantly cheaper. But as you noted if individuals absolutely have to sustain or expect western amenities, that comes with a steep cost making Thailand far more expensive for what you are getting in return. It all boils down to choices and expectations. I know if I was not voluntarily willing to make concessions to change and adjust my living life style, I would have not moved out of the US. It was time for a change and to do something interesting. The US is a known entity, rather boring in many regards.

As said, to each his own.

I don't to like to drive because I'm getting old. Compare the price of public transportation in Thailand and the USA?

I am going to live for another 10 years because I'm getting rather old so I'm looking for a 10 year lease on a condo close to the ocean with public transportation because I don't like to drive. Compare the price of condos that will last for 10 years close to a large saltwater body of water with access to public transportation in Thailand and the USA?

My only income is my pension of 100,000 baht per month. I like to date a variety of young women how much will it cost me to have a date in Thailand as opposed to the USA (dinner Thai food, Movie and nice hotel room and breakfast at the hotel)?

I have health insurance that reimburses me cash for hospital expenses which country is a better deal for average medical expenses and which private medical system is more user convenient?

At 70 years old I'm not going to be around that long. I don't want to buy a car or home. I like Thai food and going out with pretty women and I want to take advantage of my ability to speak Thai. I like to tour and travel by VIP bus. What country is more economical for me to live in; Thailand or the USA?

• Like 1

AS long as you have money they welcome you

I dont have a penny.

I am not educated.

No job.

No skills.

Please tell me which of your countries would welcome me?

Or for that matter, which human being would welcome me?

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

Sometimes... we dont know what we are writing or saying, isn't it?

MONEY will open ALL doors.

• Like 1

AS long as you have money they welcome you

I dont have a penny.

I am not educated.

No job.

No skills.

Please tell me which of your countries would welcome me?

Or for that matter, which human being would welcome me?

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

Sometimes... we dont know what we are writing or saying, isn't it?

MONEY will open ALL doors.

Reminds me of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIbUT6u7Q

• Like 1

You missed my point. Somebody will always pay for that land I dont care who you pass it to. Just because you carefully set up a will doesn't change that.

I don't get this part. When I buy a house I am agreeing to pay taxes to pay for the 1st world amenities. My taxes are $2,000 a year and they pay for things I couldn't even get in Thailand. I get safe drinking water and proper sanitary sewer. I get proper streets with curbs, gutters, storm drains, sidewalks which are clear and free of litter, good fire and police, quick ambulance service with trained paramedics on board, safe electrical throughout the home and neighborhood, and I could go on and on. Some of the money goes to check up on the private providers such as the electric company to assure proper installation and maintenance of their equipment.

I think that's a bargain.

Well yes at times in ones life it may seem a bargain but it cannot be a blanket statement

Many folks live rural lives in the heartlands of America to grow food for Americans.

Yet they have dirt roads leading to their property

They have no sewer they have septic systems or cesspools

They have no sidewalks nor curbs, storm drains etc.

Yet that does not stop the US government whose citizens these folks grew food for from

taking their farms which have been in their families for generations due to back taxes which were caused by bad years yields.

Nor did it stop them from taking their farm equipment which the govt

made loans to them to buy telling them why they would be more profitable & could grow more food for the citizens.

Yet when rains & storms took their yields the govt did not wait long before foreclosing due to loans & taxes unpaid

John Mellencamp has made a good living writing & singing songs about their plight

That was the heartlands but the loss of property you thought you may one day own in the US is not limited to farmers

I came to Thailand from a rich State in which I still own a home

Many older folks there no longer do

Reason? Taxes which increase yearly while their incomes decreased.

Taxes that increased because it is a desirable area & buyers come & pay inflated high prices.

So a few make money but the many that had lived there for generations & had no where to go or nowhere else they wanted to be saw their value inflate unreasonably

Now the govt said their homes are worth more....well then the govt now wants more

These folks had no where to go....they had no desire to sell at any price....they worked their lives away to pay off their mortgage like

old folks once strove to do as a sense of honor....to own their home...to have the American Dream

To leave something to their kids.....Yet they could not pay the new property taxes inflated by mainly foreign buyers purchases .

Oh yes they got a tiny exemption/discount if they promise to live there the same tiny exemption I lost when i moved here

I now have to pay commercial tax rates because I let a relative live there & I dont???

They dont call it the American Dream for nothing

So yes some folks may sleep well feeling their taxes are fair...a real bargain...........for now

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

You missed my point. Somebody will always pay for that land I dont care who you pass it to. Just because you carefully set up a will doesn't change that.

I don't get this part. When I buy a house I am agreeing to pay taxes to pay for the 1st world amenities. My taxes are $2,000 a year and they pay for things I couldn't even get in Thailand. I get safe drinking water and proper sanitary sewer. I get proper streets with curbs, gutters, storm drains, sidewalks which are clear and free of litter, good fire and police, quick ambulance service with trained paramedics on board, safe electrical throughout the home and neighborhood, and I could go on and on. Some of the money goes to check up on the private providers such as the electric company to assure proper installation and maintenance of their equipment.

I think that's a bargain.

Well yes at times in ones life it may seem a bargain but it cannot be a blanket statement

Many folks live rural lives in the heartlands of America to grow food for Americans.

Yet they have dirt roads leading to their property

They have no sewer they have septic systems or cesspools

They have no sidewalks nor curbs, storm drains etc.

Yet that does not stop the US government whose citizens these folks grew food for from

taking their farms which have been in their families for generations due to back taxes which were caused by bad years yields.

Nor did it stop them from taking their farm equipment which the govt

made loans to them to buy telling them why they would be more profitable & could grow more food for the citizens.

Yet when rains & storms took their yields the govt did not wait long before foreclosing due to loans & taxes unpaid

John Mellencamp has made a good living writing & singing songs about their plight

That was the heartlands but the loss of property you thought you may one day own in the US is not limited to farmers

I came to Thailand from a rich State in which I still own a home

Many older folks there no longer do

Reason? Taxes which increase yearly while their incomes decreased.

Taxes that increased because it is a desirable area & buyers come & pay inflated high prices.

So a few make money but the many that had lived there for generations & had no where to go or nowhere else they wanted to be saw their value inflate unreasonably

Now the govt said their homes are worth more....well then the govt now wants more

These folks had no where to go....they had no desire to sell at any price....they worked their lives away to pay off their mortgage like

old folks once strove to do as a sense of honor....to own their home...to have the American Dream

To leave something to their kids.....Yet they could not pay the new property taxes inflated by mainly foreign buyers purchases .

Oh yes they got a tiny exemption/discount if they promise to live there the same tiny exemption I lost when i moved here

I now have to pay commercial tax rates because I let a relative live there & I dont???

They dont call it the American Dream for nothing

So yes some folks may sleep well feeling their taxes are fair...a real bargain...........for now

nobody forces farmers to take loans. farming is a business like any other and if they cant make a go of it then they have to get out of the business. america prides itself on individuality and self sufficiency and has always voted in opposition to any form of a nanny state. and then they act surprised when the survival of the fittest endemic in laissez faire capitalism takes effect . they cant have it both ways.

• Like 2

I just finished reading an interesting statistic. There are over 46 million people here in America actively using the Food stamp system (SNAP). Thailand only has 66 Million people as a country and some how there are people that call the US a 1st world country.

This is another reason I would rather live in Thailand. I can retire early rather then work until 65 and older and not pay anymore outrageous Fed and State taxes to support the 46 million people living in poverty of which most know are milking the system. I "unvoluntarily" contribute 35-38% of my income annually to support those people and all those infrastructures some posters tout as being the best hands down. This is one of those "Awesome"thumbsup.gif infrastructures we can claim we have living in the US. I know I am proud to contribute to it. I wonder how many of those SNAP recipients live in those $75,000 to $100,000 dollar homes we have been seeing links over and over in this and other posts?

Just saying

"I wonder how many of those SNAP recipients live in those $75,000 to $100,000 dollar homes we have been seeing links over and over in this and other posts?"

The "food stamp" program in the US is a joke and should be scrapped.

Your primary residence value is exempt from calculations for your "needs." So it is possible to live in a very nice home, own it free and clear, and still collect "food stamps." The same applies to Medicaid which is free healthcare for the "poor." There are many charities which give things away and others that offer assistance.

The poverty level $$ number in the US is too high. Can you imagine what 46 million voters, voting their pocketbooks can do to an election?

This is exactly why these programs exist. I'm ashamed of it because no one in the US has to be poor, and politicians shouldn't be able to introduce these programs to buy votes. I'm ashamed to admit that they do.

Just saying

"I wonder how many of those SNAP recipients live in those $75,000 to $100,000 dollar homes we have been seeing links over and over in this and other posts?"

The "food stamp" program in the US is a joke and should be scrapped.

Your primary residence value is exempt from calculations for your "needs." So it is possible to live in a very nice home, own it free and clear, and still collect "food stamps." The same applies to Medicaid which is free healthcare for the "poor." There are many charities which give things away and others that offer assistance.

The poverty level $$ number in the US is too high. Can you imagine what 46 million voters, voting their pocketbooks can do to an election?

This is exactly why these programs exist. I'm ashamed of it because no one in the US has to be poor, and politicians shouldn't be able to introduce these programs to buy votes. I'm ashamed to admit that they do.

no one has to be poor?? lol

I live in Canada, and am grateful for our medical coverage. I am also glad that I worked for the Government for a portion of my career and have a decent retirement pension from it.

I would like to live in Thailand for up to 5 months a year, if I can afford to in about two more years. I would likely spend some of my time in BKK where my Thai relatives live, and

some of the time in either Hua Hin, Cha AM, or possibly somewhere in Phuket. Likely near Kata or

Karon beaches. I went to a clinic a couple of times in Phuket and the fee for my

shot in the rear for a scratch that inflamed was only $15 US. I seen some of the hospitals in

Thailand and I checked the costs of getting operated on and hospital room rates. I would much

rather have to go to a hospital in Thailand than in America. Weather is much nicer in Hua Hin

and even BKK, no Hurricanes or monsoons, only tropical storms from most directions when it does rain. I see a few guns around Thailand but mostly from guards, police, and the military.

I do not see every body in Thailand, packing, and using the Right to bear arms, as in the USA for having a gun. I have read a lot about Thai customs and try not to tick off any of the

locals, by doing foolish activities, as well. I do not throw Thai money on the ground then step on it, as the king's picture is on the currency, and it would be a very big insult to

do such a thing. I do not step over some persons feet etc. when I am in a crowd as that is an

insult as well. I try to say a few Thai words when I order food and drinks as I am in

Thailand after all and sometimes it is quicker to get served that way.

Also from Thailand I can explore a lot of other places in Asia, a lot cheaper than I can

from Canada or from America, and I don't get charged for my first piece of luggage either

when I get on a plane. Also the service on most Asian airlines is far better than

any American or Canadian airline I have been on.

Stargeezer

nobody forces farmers to take loans. farming is a business like any other and if they cant make a go of it then they have to get out of the business. america prides itself on individuality and self sufficiency and has always voted in opposition to any form of a nanny state. and then they act surprised when the survival of the fittest endemic in laissez faire capitalism takes effect . they cant have it both ways.

Agreed none force them & yes it is a business...The business of providing food to a nation

Also a business dictated to at times by sun & rain

I am not a farmer but would vote for farmers to be property tax exempt because of what they provide.

But your right...If they can't make it they should quit growing food for America.

• Like 1

Agreed none force them & yes it is a business...The business of providing food to a nation

Also a business dictated to at times by sun & rain

I am not a farmer but would vote for farmers to be property tax exempt because of what they provide.

But your right...If they can't make it they should quit growing food for America.

dont try make it sound so noble. they provide a product for which they are paid and get lots of subsidies others dont. tax exempt? lol.

I'm not an economist, but the cost of living in America- or any other western nation- versus Thailand seems to be a non-factor, provided you can get a decent job in either place. Or even if you can't... I mean, yeah, I'm sure it's a shock for many Thais to learn fried rice costs 200+ baht in USA. But I bet it's equally shocking when they find out our hourly minimum wage is about equal to their daily one. Plus, high-quality, namebrand products (many which are ironically [sadly] made in this part of the world) are cheaper in USA. So your investment in day-to-day goods goes a bit farther in the west. The way I see it, Thailand is a great place financially speaking if 1) you have a great job here with a western salary or 2) you have savings or income coming from the west. But otherwise, it's just a different place.

As for the food, I guess it's personal preference. I personally love Thai food. There are absolutely some very fresh, affordable meals to be had here. But it's not like your run-of-the-mill Thai restaurant is farm-to-table. There's a lot of MSG in stuff here. (In fact, Thais usually laugh if I ask em to leave it out.) Sanitation is very low too. When's the last time you saw soap AND paper towels in a public restroom here? Or even at a restaurant???

And the people... Threre are definitely some very kind people in Thailand. But I don't really connect with any of em. It's a shallow interaction. Also, I don't see that many smiling faces on the BTS every morning. People are stepping in front of me or walking right into me all over this city. Short-temper is abundant too.

Again, it's all about preference. The important thing is to be realistic about why you live here.

Edited by eldragon
  • Like 1

dont try make it sound so noble. they provide a product for which they are paid and get lots of subsidies others dont. tax exempt? lol.

Not my intention just being logical & agreed with you.

It is a business & yes they get paid. If their expense exceeds their income they should seek to change business.

China is buying much farm lands in the US these days. They should sell & be happy

Farming foods for domestic markets... *Property* Tax exempt yes I would vote yes for that

But that aside farmers was 1 of three examples I gave in my post.

The other being folks losing homes due to inflated buying at times & retired folks losing income

& not able to keep up with rising property taxes

As I said these are folks that have no desire to move & in regards to the elderly with good reasons.

So to a wish list I would add property taxes for retired Americans who live on the property in question

an exemption that states property taxes may never exceed say 3-5% of their yearly income.

I mean why not? They have paid willingly all their working lives. Now they are old/retired with less income

Should they be forced out? I would say no

Edited by mania

Not my intention just being logical & agreed with you.

It is a business & yes they get paid. If their expense exceeds their income they should seek to change business.

China is buying much farm lands in the US these days. They should sell & be happy

Farming foods for domestic markets... *Property* Tax exempt yes I would vote yes for that

But that aside farmers was 1 of three examples I gave in my post.

The other being folks losing homes due to inflated buying at times & retired folks losing income

& not able to keep up with rising property taxes

As I said these are folks that have no desire to move & in regards to the elderly with good reasons.

So to a wish list I would add property taxes for retired Americans who live on the property in question

an exemption that states property taxes may never exceed say 3-5% of their yearly income.

I mean why not? They have paid willingly all their working lives. Now they are old/retired with less income

Should they be forced out? I would say no

these people who are losing their homes are the same folks who bought into the milton freidman and his ilk bullshit about the wonders of unfettered laissez faire capitalism. the licked the boots of raygun and his half baked nonsense about government being the problem rather than the solution,, they delighted in the rise of the military industrial complex that built 750 foreign bases and invade countries around the world. they cheered nixon and his silent majority. and when the wild

west capitalism they unleashed swallowed them up. they have no one but themselves to blame. they were not the fittest and they didnt survive!

flyingsaucersarereal

Oh boy. Where do I even begin with such a post?

1. “Thai people don't throw around insults all the time like you hear in America overall the country has a much more relaxed feel.”

Just wait until you learn the Thai language. Then you’ll understand the insults being thrown around.

“2. The cost of living. In Thailand you can get a nice apartment for a fraction of what you would spend in America. I know friends that are slaving away for small 1 bedroom in America while I am relaxing comfortably. “

It’s actually about the same over all. You’re just comparing Thailand to the big expensive cities like New York and San Francisco. Some big cities in the US are cheaper than Bangkok.

“3. Thai people talk to there neighbors. In America most of my neighbors I have never even spoken to how do you live next to someone for years without speaking to them?”

Again, you’re only comparing the big cities such as New York and San Francisco where people usually don’t talk to their neighbors. I knew all of my neighbors including my old neighborhood in San Francisco. Then again, I lived in a low-turnover, established residential neighborhood of mostly homeowners – not the ‘hip’ trendy areas with high transient population of east-coast transplants.

“4. Almost year round perfect weather. Here in Thailand the weather is much better then America for beach fun or riding motorcycles. “

“Perfect” if you like hot & humid all year round. I like riding motorcycles too but you have to be nuts to ride a motorcycle in the rain. Two wheel transport on slippery roads is not a good idea.

“5. The women. This is of course a big one Thai woman just seem to be more laid back and calm. I don't have the time or the energy to waste playing mind games with these American woman lol learning the mystery method or something ridiculous like that.”

I’ll agree that they are certainly prettier than your average American/Western woman but don’t be fooled in to thinking that the local women don’t have tricks up their sleeves too. There are a LOT of expat men here that thought they were buying a house for himself an Thai wife only to find out he can’t step foot in that house that he bought or had built.

“6. America the police state. While America has a lot of laws that make sense they also have taken the fun out of just about everything. You need a license to have a small fishing boat. If you roll a stop light you get a ticket, If you are speeding at 3 am on a lone highway you get slapped with a $200 ticket. Park on the wrong side of the street and get a street sweeper ticket for $50. All this NSA stuff all the time and its enough for anyone to say no thanks I'll just go somewhere else.”

I agree with you there. Thailand is by far better when it comes to this sort of stuff.

“7. America no good public transportation. Yes there are exceptions but for the most part in America you need a car if you don't have one your just out of luck. Try getting anywhere on public transportation in Los Angeles it will take forever and be the most complicated thing you have ever experienced. Taxi's in America are so expensive I would rather by a $500 car on craigslist then ride in a taxi. In Thailand take your pick there are a endless amount of public transportation options.”

You’re WAY off base here. You DO need a car in Thailand – even here in Bangkok!
The only exception would be those lucky enough to afford to live walking distance to a BTS or MRT station. Otherwise, you DO need a car in Bangkok. I used to live in Ratchayothin which is just 2 miles north of the Phahon Yothin MRT station. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get a taxi for that two mile stretch to the nearest MRT station when it’s raining. If it’s 5:00PM on a weekday and it’s raining, you’re stuck there. Many of these taxi drivers become arrogant and don’t want to pick up passengers or become selective when picking up passengers when it’s raining an there is no BTS, MRT access.

Not to mention, all of the murders an rapes these taxi drivers carry out. I’m sure those who have been raped, stabbed or chased with a crowbar (in my case) wish they had a car. I’d MUCH rather sit in traffic in MY OWN car than stand on the corner in the pouring rain begging for a taxi to pick me up.

“8. America everything closes so early. In America everything shuts down so early there is no food unless you go to the one 711 that is still open and buy a nasty footlong burrito. In Thailand there are night markets and food stalls everywhere you can eat at almost anytime and the food is far better.”

Many grocery stores in the US are 24 hours. Learn to cook for yourself an you can eat anything you want at any time of day or night. I remember driving around Phuket island for over an hour looking for a night stall to eat. The only one’s we found were noodles an soup. I’m not a noodle guy or soup guy. I wanted some grilled pork or fried chicken. Couldn’t find anything so drove in to town an ate at KFC – just like you would have done back home in Springfield...

I learned to cook my own food at an early age and those mega supermarket grocery stories always had what I wanted 24hours a day.

Also, don’t fool yourself in to thinking that Thai food is somehow healthier. It’s not. A plate of pad thai has the same amount of calories as a double whopper with cheese and French fries. Westerners see cucumber and get excited an assume it’s healthier. Much of those night stall foods you love so much is cooked with palm oil and coated with sugar. That’s can’t possibly be healthy.

“I just don't want to deal with the rat race of America.”

Oh there IS a rat race here in Thailand too. Trust me!

“would we want to move back to our home countries?”

Ideally I’d like to have a home back in the US an keep my condo here downtown Bangkok. Then be able to jump back & forth as I please. Eventually I’ll have a winter house near Duluth, Minnesota as I like the snow an winter sporting activities an come back to Bangkok during the wet & rainy summer months.

I don’t mean to dog you out in this thread. We all hope you have a great time living here but your post reads as someone that just arrived at Suvarnubhumi last week and has some US taxpayer supported job at the Embassy put up in a luxury high-rise condo near a BTS station. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but those said individuals aren’t getting a Thai experience. They’re only physically in Thailand but aren’t really in Thailand.

Over time, you’ll see what I’m talking about. I was wearing rose tinted glasses too when I first moved here. Although my tint was very mild. . .

1. A poster who hasn't figured out how to usse the quote function wrote, "You’re WAY off base here. You DO need a car in Thailand – even here in Bangkok!"

I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. It is simple. You call a taxi or tuk tuk or motorcycle taxi. When you find a guy or girl driver that you like ask them for a card. They all have cards you know!

2. Rat race in Thailand? For retired guys? Of course not.

3. He wrote, "It’s actually about the same over all. You’re just comparing Thailand to the big expensive cities like New York and San Francisco. Some big cities in the US are cheaper than Bangkok."

I think you mean that one can compare Bangkok and New York? I had an apartment in Bangkok for $90 a month. Now you tell me what kind of apartment I'd get in NYC for $90?

Maybe that's not what the poster meant. Maybe he meant compare smaller cities. OK Rayong and any city on the Gulf of Mexico with a large industrial base. Or Chiang Mai and any city in the USA that has warm weather and mountains.

Because of the ownership issues one can only compare apartments or condos to apartments or condos.

Northern Michigan is a sportsman's paradise. Thailand is an old man's paradise. Northern Michigan is wasted on a couch potato and Thailand is wasted on the young. I lived here in my 20's and my 60's. 60's is much better.

Edited by thailiketoo

these people who are losing their homes are the same folks ....................

I personally do not know such people as you describe.

well they were numerous enough to elect nixon, reagan,two bushes and innumerable senators etc and watched them deregulate everything under the sun and destroy the american middle class so I dont know where you been hiding.

If people don't like Thailand and prefer sooooo much the life in the USA, you are welcome to go back home!

This is what strikes me, they are all here living in thailand and writing that the USA is so much better. So what do you do in thailand? Take a plane, fly 20 hours or so, and welcome back in your little narrowed minded fatca country. I bet once you are In the USA, you say to all your friends that Thailand is sooooo much better than the USA.

Edited by Digitalnomade

1. A poster who hasn't figured out how to usse the quote function wrote, "You’re WAY off base here. You DO need a car in Thailand – even here in Bangkok!"

I have lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. It is simple. You call a taxi or tuk tuk or motorcycle taxi. When you find a guy or girl driver that you like ask them for a card. They all have cards you know!

2. Rat race in Thailand? For retired guys? Of course not.

3. He wrote, "It’s actually about the same over all. You’re just comparing Thailand to the big expensive cities like New York and San Francisco. Some big cities in the US are cheaper than Bangkok."

I think you mean that one can compare Bangkok and New York? I had an apartment in Bangkok for $90 a month. Now you tell me what kind of apartment I'd get in NYC for $90?

Maybe that's not what the poster meant. Maybe he meant compare smaller cities. OK Rayong and any city on the Gulf of Mexico with a large industrial base. Or Chiang Mai and any city in the USA that has warm weather and mountains.

Because of the ownership issues one can only compare apartments or condos to apartments or condos.

Northern Michigan is a sportsman's paradise. Thailand is an old man's paradise. Northern Michigan is wasted on a couch potato and Thailand is wasted on the young. I lived here in my 20's and my 60's. 60's is much better.

Aw isn't that cute. rolleyes.gif Throw in a little insult towards someone because they don't share the same views an experiences as you.

FYI, I've used the quote feature many times but having technical glitches on my end with my Internet connection. Also I don't post at ThaiVisa that often to fully manipulate all of the features here. Your comments are a reminder as to why I don't post here very much...

You give terrible advice mind you. You speak as if all taxi driver disputes can be resolved by simply asking for their card? Also you need to re-read my post. How do you ask for the card of taxi drivers that don't even stop for you? Explain that to us since you have all the answers.

I'm all ears on this one.

New York isn't the only big city in the United States. I'm paying more for my place here in Bangkok than my friends with similar sized places in Detroit and Pittsburgh. Those aren't exactly "small towns". Before you start lashing out at those cities, they have over a million in their metro area and are home to international Fortune 500 companies and those cities have airports with international commercial air service. Not exactly the tumbleweed junctions you make them out to be.

$90 in Bangkok? That get's you a pigsty in just about any city - including Bangkok.

So you saved a buck; good for you. I see no point in moving to another continent to live in a pigsty.

What ever floats your boat I guess. clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

"Maybe that's not what the poster meant."

Maybe you should let the poster speak for himself.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight
  • Like 1