Why I would rather live in Thailand than America

flyingsaucersarereal

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I have been living in in Thailand many years myself, have had many friend with houses and condos and what you are saying is bogus..I am in a condo now and t was built in 2010, sure there is a little cracking on the brick walls from the building slightly setting, but it would be easily patched up, one of the windows also leaks a little when it rains hard at an angle making the window look like a waterfall.. the only reason i havn't bothered to fix them is because it represents such a minor inconvenience, otherwise it would be done in 1 day..I have never had any problems with doors, except one on the bathrrom that needed to be replaced.. It's rare here for a house to fall apart by settling, it has happened and i have seen it on the news when the Thai people went after the developer, but it's certainly not the norm.. as with any purchase you have to check the reputation and resume of the developer.. most of the plastic pipeing here is good quality, just because it's plastic doesn't mean its poor quality and will start to leak.. thailand has the most advanced plastics manufacturing (extruding) in the world.. But it's true that in the US you have all these inspectors where as here not so much..

but anyone can drive by a housing construction site in the US and see what it's made of, cheap wood and cardboard.. thats just what it is, highly flamable, not waterproof, weak and a nice dwelling for roaches, and termites.. don't tell me that a house made of a cheap wood frame cardboard is somehow 'better quality' than one made of steel re-inforced concrete frame and bricks because it's minor parts are cheaper quality.. if the door or window is cheap, then you baught a cheap door or window, get a new one.

Really?! The houses in America 'are much better built', than the houses in Thailand? How did you reach this conclusion, what I have noticed from DAY1 in thailand is that the houses in this country ARE WAY BETTER built than the houses in America.. and I have never understood why they construct that cheap crap in the US..

In the places i lived in the US (CA and TX), all the houses are constructed on a concrete slab (some in CA are built with a crawl space underneath) and they use a cheap wooden frame (as in the 2x4s are built out of soft wood, maybe pine wood other cheap crap), which is then enclosed with a cardboard (drywall) to create all the rooms, between the cheap wood frame and the drywall panels is empty space so the walls of the house are hollow and the contain the electrical system.. THEY ARE ALSO EXTEMELY flamable as I learned the hard way when our house burned down and we almost died in it.. if there is a flood forget it, the cardboard house is a loss-better have some good insurance for that.. if there is a huricane or big storm, the house is literally blown away.. ALL the housing in CA amd TX are constructed this way, wether it be smaller houses, large houses in rich neighborhoods, or sprawling apartment complexes.. this type of constrction also invites criters, roaches can live in the many nooks are crannies in this cheap construction and you'll get termites.. at that point the entire shack has to be placed ina tent and maybe yu can stall the damage..

IN THALAND I have never seen this garbage construction.. EVERY house I have ever seen here is constructed with steel reinforced concrete.. if there's a fire, worst case it gets gutted, if theres a flood, once the water drains, you clean it up and your back to normal, heavy storm.. minimal damage to the roof but the frame of the house is solid as rock.. all the apartments and lowrise condos are also solid concrete.. so how do yo come to this conclusion that US housing is better.. the whole reason i stayed out here is the housing and affordability of it..

House in Vegas: sturdy, good materials, tile roof, central air, metal plumbing, top-notch electrical system, energy efficient, no settling.

House in Bangkok: windows don't fit. Plastic plumbing. Smell of wastewater in one bath. Settling. Cracking in the walls. One door cannot be opened during the rainy season. Roof leaks. And all of this is common amongst my friends. I have one friend, a Thai, who bought a 23,000,000 baht house. Within three years, half of the house settled more than 75 cm. He cannot even use his driveway. I looked at a used home that was a bank repo. The owners simply moved out when the part of the home settled. The back doors could not be opened. The master bedroom as at a decided slant. Read the news and see how many homeowners are trying to get repairs made by moobans or construction companies due to shoddy construction.

When I built a home in San Diego, the inspectors drove me crazy. But they forced me to build a good home. The codes either don't exist in Thailand or are not followed.

I love Thailand, and I will not say another country it better or worse, but in home quality, Thai homes, whether cheap or expensive, just are not the same as US homes.

It just so happens that I am in the plastics industry here in Thailand, and our extrusion is not the best by a long shot. But that is a digression. All I know is that I have two houses in the US and one in Thailand. I had a condo in Thailand. One of my US homes is one of the frame homes you seem to decry. Yet it was built almost 70 years ago and other than new roofing and a new heat pump, I have done nothing to it in the 30 years I've owned it. When looking for a home in Thailand, I can't count the number of decrepit, ruined, 10-15 year old homes. And with my home in Thailand less than 2 years old, I have had more problems with it than in any of the eight homes I have owned in the US. Most of the problems have consisted of shoddy construction, something I have also heard from friends who have bought very expensive homes in great neighborhoods.

In my experience, the quality of the homes in Thailand does not match that in the US. Your experience may differ, but I know my own experiences.

And if one has a specific material/design in mind, whatever that may be, it can be built in the US, providing that you can afford it.

While my experience in getting a home built in Thailand is only based on a single house, it seemed to me that the builders in Thailand were pretty closed minded about building anything other than what was on their short list of specific materials and styles. Moving away from that short list or getting changes made while the construction was underway was very, very difficult, if not impossible. Their desire to work with the customer as needs changed, even if price was no object, was pretty much non existent.

I grew up in Westchester County, north of New York City.

Now you can't even do minor repairs on your own home. You need a village permit and the work has to be done by a licenced contractor at grossly inflated prices.

That's just one of the many reasons that I like it better here.

valid point.

but there you get it repeired once.here the contractor have to show up show up several times until it is done properly,in the end= same price

I grew up in Westchester County, north of New York City.

Now you can't even do minor repairs on your own home. You need a village permit and the work has to be done by a licenced contractor at grossly inflated prices.

That's just one of the many reasons that I like it better here.

valid point.

but there you get it repeired once.here the contractor have to show up show up several times until it is done properly,in the end= same price

Nonsense.

I do my own work here and it lasts. But if I wanted to have it done by others I would know where to find people in the building trades that would put to shame the Americans and third-world immigrants who call themselves carpenters, electricians, and plumbers in the New York area.

The issue isn't about the quality of the work, it's about the nanny-state laws that forbid you to work on your own house. that's what you should be concerned about if you live in a place where they are in effect.

Laws like that have yet to reach Chiang Mai, and like I said, that's one of the reasons I like it.

• Like 1

From The Roaring Twenties (1939) with James Cagney as Eddie and Humphrey Bogart as the real bad guy:

Panama Smith (Saloon keeper): And they got a nice house.
Eddie Bartlett: Yeah, it's a nice house if you like that kind of a house, but for me, uh, I'll take a hotel anytime. You know that.
Panama Smith: Me too. Ain't it funny how our tastes have always run the same? Ever since the first time we met. I can just picture you living in the suburbs, working in a garden, raising flowers and kids. Wouldn't that be a laugh.
Eddie Bartlett: Yeah, wouldn't I look cute?

Just one question for all of you guys who are so sold on building a house in Thailand.

How much land do you "own" with this house you "own" that is such a bargain? thumbsup.gif

Why would they tell you?

Just one question for you. How long do you expect to own your house in America before you die?

I love my Thai wife and when I die I hope she gets a paid for house and land. I may die a few years before the bank note is paid but she'll have a good start one way or another.thumbsup.gif

Last time I checked you can't take a Harley to Heaven so I guess she'll get that too. biggrin.png

• Like 2

I have a house here in Pattaya from 2009, so far no problems, it's not sinking and the walls haven't cracked too.

It's cheap to have re mods done but the problem as others noted, difficult to find competent people.

We have now found a fairly competent guy and his prices are fair too so all is good.

I have a house here in Pattaya from 2009, so far no problems, it's not sinking and the walls haven't cracked too.

It's cheap to have re mods done but the problem as others noted, difficult to find competent people.

We have now found a fairly competent guy and his prices are fair too so all is good.

No shortage of skilled tradesmen in Thai cities... but there is a serious shortage of farangs who are willing to pay them a decent wage and not nickel n' dime them to death.

Here is a reason I prefer Thailand over the US, Asian/Indian drivers here in America are the poorest, most clueless, most oblivious people on the road. They cause more wrecks, more driver road rage, most traffic delays of any race here hands down. They are utterly lost driving on what people say are the best roads in the world. Go Figure. When out on a freeway with a speed limit of 60, a family of 4 in a Toyota Camry will go 40 in the fast lane causing people to have to make drastic actions to get around them. You go by and they are oblivious to anything around them. They stop randomly at green lights while they decide where to go. They make left turns from the far the far right lane regularly causing wrecks. They hit each other at stoplights.

I dodged stupid Asian drivers all day today on a 40 mile trip to pick up some gear. When I am in Thailand this never ever happens to me. I absolutely prefer driving in Thailand and never see that behavior. Everyday is a challenge driving here.

Now I know a hole bunch of you are going to come on here and fire back that Thailand is the worst and unless you have driven in both places for extended periods of time to offer a fair comparison it will be hard to believe you. There are far more accidents in California alone then Thailand has a country I would beg to guess. Its why insurance rates are $1300 to $1500 a year and more to insure a car. There are multiple car pile ups everyday. I see on my way to work and on my way home nearly everyday. I never saw accidents everyday in Thailand even when I lived in BKK for 2+ years. Even my Thai wife has been amazed at the level of stupidity here. She says man the Asian drivers here are pretty stupid.

Did you know that Thai people are considered Asian? Why did you marry a stupid person? Never mind, I already know the answer.

What!?!?...Really?. Thais are asians?.. Why I never..... When did that happen?smile.png

My point being, It is why I would prefer to live in Thailand and get away from all the poor drivers here. It is a significantly larger risk driving here(Calif) than in Thailand hands down. I pay for it dearly with ridiculous auto insurance because we scrap cars here on a daily basis. The systemic problem is that most of the immigrants from China, Vietnam and India that come here had probably never driven before in their lives. Living here you have to drive( my argument about public transportation or suitable other forms of transportation). These folks were forced into cars with little to no seat time and quickly become a liability to themselves and others around them. They take written tests in their native language, get tossed out into a very fast paced driving lifestyle here and are ill-equipped to manage themselves. Everyone is in a hurry. Speed limits are high. Roads are congested, stop lights every 100 feet. Road signs clutter every intersection. My wife and I just got back from Thailand. We were there 3 weeks for business. In that time I saw no accidents on road trips from Pathum Thani to near Chaing Mai and back. People drove well, no issues. I felt less inclined to have to drive defensively, my wife was comfortable. In the last 5 days here for example I have drove by 3 multi car pile ups, one over turned truck, a car fire. It is so bad here that they have big LED road signs telling you where the auto wrecks are on the roads so you can be prepared or avoid. I also dodged endless immigrants in cars going way under the safe speed limit driving in the wrong lane and in utter fear which puts others at risk. In many ways I feel for them. I couldn't imagine being 30-50 years old and up having never drove a car and being forced into one and then dropping yourself out into the fray. My wife has been driving in Thailand for nearly 15 years. She came here to Calif and drives extremely well and fits in.

So my statement of Asians/indians being stupid is figuratively speaking. Its a generic term like we call other clueless people stupid. Its a forum, we all tend to post with generalizations.

In the end enjoy driving in Thailand far more then here on any given day and along with multiple other reasons is why I prefer Thailand over living here in the US. My stress is virtually non existent.

Here is a reason I prefer Thailand over the US, Asian/Indian drivers here in America are the poorest, most clueless, most oblivious people on the road. They cause more wrecks, more driver road rage, most traffic delays of any race here hands down. They are utterly lost driving on what people say are the best roads in the world. Go Figure. When out on a freeway with a speed limit of 60, a family of 4 in a Toyota Camry will go 40 in the fast lane causing people to have to make drastic actions to get around them. You go by and they are oblivious to anything around them. They stop randomly at green lights while they decide where to go. They make left turns from the far the far right lane regularly causing wrecks. They hit each other at stoplights.

I dodged stupid Asian drivers all day today on a 40 mile trip to pick up some gear. When I am in Thailand this never ever happens to me. I absolutely prefer driving in Thailand and never see that behavior. Everyday is a challenge driving here.

Now I know a hole bunch of you are going to come on here and fire back that Thailand is the worst and unless you have driven in both places for extended periods of time to offer a fair comparison it will be hard to believe you. There are far more accidents in California alone then Thailand has a country I would beg to guess. Its why insurance rates are $1300 to $1500 a year and more to insure a car. There are multiple car pile ups everyday. I see on my way to work and on my way home nearly everyday. I never saw accidents everyday in Thailand even when I lived in BKK for 2+ years. Even my Thai wife has been amazed at the level of stupidity here. She says man the Asian drivers here are pretty stupid.

Did you know that Thai people are considered Asian? Why did you marry a stupid person? Never mind, I already know the answer.

What!?!?...Really?. Thais are asians?.. Why I never..... When did that happen?smile.png

My point being, It is why I would prefer to live in Thailand and get away from all the poor drivers here. It is a significantly larger risk driving here(Calif) than in Thailand hands down. I pay for it dearly with ridiculous auto insurance because we scrap cars here on a daily basis. The systemic problem is that most of the immigrants from China, Vietnam and India that come here had probably never driven before in their lives. Living here you have to drive( my argument about public transportation or suitable other forms of transportation). These folks were forced into cars with little to no seat time and quickly become a liability to themselves and others around them. They take written tests in their native language, get tossed out into a very fast paced driving lifestyle here and are ill-equipped to manage themselves. Everyone is in a hurry. Speed limits are high. Roads are congested, stop lights every 100 feet. Road signs clutter every intersection. My wife and I just got back from Thailand. We were there 3 weeks for business. In that time I saw no accidents on road trips from Pathum Thani to near Chaing Mai and back. People drove well, no issues. I felt less inclined to have to drive defensively, my wife was comfortable. In the last 5 days here for example I have drove by 3 multi car pile ups, one over turned truck, a car fire. It is so bad here that they have big LED road signs telling you where the auto wrecks are on the roads so you can be prepared or avoid. I also dodged endless immigrants in cars going way under the safe speed limit driving in the wrong lane and in utter fear which puts others at risk. In many ways I feel for them. I couldn't imagine being 30-50 years old and up having never drove a car and being forced into one and then dropping yourself out into the fray. My wife has been driving in Thailand for nearly 15 years. She came here to Calif and drives extremely well and fits in.

So my statement of Asians/indians being stupid is figuratively speaking. Its a generic term like we call other clueless people stupid. Its a forum, we all tend to post with generalizations.

In the end enjoy driving in Thailand far more then here on any given day and along with multiple other reasons is why I prefer Thailand over living here in the US. My stress is virtually non existent.

I have found in my experience of driving in SoCal is that that part of the US is a separate and distinct world from the rest of virtually all of the US when it comes to driving and many other things as well. I am not saying you do, but so many who live in that part of the country seem to believe that how SoCal goes, so goes the rest of the country.

My experience, far away from SoCal, is that driving in my neck of the woods is much calmer, less crowded, slower as a whole and distinctly different and less dangerous from driving in Thailand and SoCal. Here, when I enter a road or a freeway, I can relax a bit, enjoy my Starbucks coffee and listen to music or the radio as I drive to my destination. On the freeway I can use cruise control. In Thailand I find that I cannot relax, and must always be on full alert. Driving in Thailand is a constant stressful experience.

And I say this with almost 50 years of driving experience in the US, Europe and over the past three years, in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just one question for all of you guys who are so sold on building a house in Thailand.

How much land do you "own" with this house you "own" that is such a bargain? thumbsup.gif

Point taken!....Can't own land in Thailand.....

Funny thing is ....in the US ....after 3 divorces and all the ex's getting 1/2 the proceeds after selling the home.....I really don't see the difference between Thailand and the US on the Home ownership front. (In Thailand you CAN own the home!...just not the land)

And to add insult to injury in the US I had to pay ALIMONY! Don't believe they have that concept here in Thailand....

I believe that makes it at least 1-0 Thailand ahead!clap2.gif

First, I don't understand how anyone with 3 divorces and all that grief could ever get married again. Sounds like a glutton for punishment.

Second, many states in the US aren't community property states so what you owned before the marriage is always yours.

Third, in order for there to be much alimony, there has to be a large difference in earnings among other things. I would never marry a poor woman. Why bother? Actually in self-preservation I'll never get married again.

So it can boil down to planning.

But I would never "own" a house or "own" land in Thailand.

Why would they tell you?

Well why WOULDN'T they if they're trying to make an argument stick?

I will answer even though I am not trying to make my point stick, I own zero land where I am building the house with my wife, she owns it all.(I am on the title for the house 50/50). But as I have stated numerous times before you do not own squat in the US either. If its not tied up in a 30 year mortgage where the bank owns it, the state owns it later. If you are lucky enough to pay it off you will pay on it forever and depending on where and how much you paid for it, it can be a significant amount of money. You cannot avoid it. Its all an illusion here in the US. At least here in Thailand I know exactly where I stand. No mortgage, No rent, No Taxes. DONE. I think its a fair price to pay for a peace of mind.

With that said, I am quite comfortable not being able to own the land because the cash outlay was minimal for what I gain in my personal satisfaction in life with my wife. I could have bought a Tesla or other high end car darn near equivalent to the cost of my house build but the quick rush of owning it is gone and now I have a huge insurance bill where as what I have in Thailand is far more rewarding.

Another comment, this issue only matters to men/woman that have either been bilked or do not trust their husbands/wives. I can appreciate why this could be a big deal to those folks and why this is beaten to death. If you are a single guy/woman with no intentions of settling down its a no brainer to rent.

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1

Why would they tell you?

Well why WOULDN'T they if they're trying to make an argument stick?

I will answer even though I am not trying to make my point stick, I own zero land where I am building the house with my wife, she owns it all.(I am on the title for the house 50/50). But as I have stated numerous times before you do not own squat in the US either. If its not tied up in a 30 year mortgage where the bank owns it, the state owns it later. If you are lucky enough to pay it off you will pay on it forever and depending on where and how much you paid for it, it can be a significant amount of money. You cannot avoid it. Its all an illusion here in the US. At least here in Thailand I know exactly where I stand. No mortgage, No rent, No Taxes. DONE. I think its a fair price to pay for a peace of mind.

With that said, I am quite comfortable not being able to own the land because the cash outlay was minimal for what I gain in my personal satisfaction in life with my wife. I could have bought a Tesla or other high end car darn near equivalent to the cost of my house build but the quick rush of owning it is gone and now I have a huge insurance bill where as what I have in Thailand is far more rewarding.

Another comment, this issue only matters to men/woman that have either been bilked or do not trust their husbands/wives. I can appreciate why this could be a big deal to those folks and why this is beaten to death. If you are a single guy/woman with no intentions of settling down its a no brainer to rent.

Not all of us sign on for a 30 year mortgage - some of us save, live frugally and own our home out right. And taxes and insurance are the price of a good, solid infrastructure. I also don't understand your comment concerning the state owning your property later. That is silly. An intelligently crafted will will ensure your stuff goes to your desired heirs. No will and you are asking the state to step and figure things out for you after your death. Either way the choices are the result of personal responsibility, or lack thereof.

As with so many of these posts, this one is merely an experiment of one and cannot and should not extrapolated to the rest of us.

• Like 1

@Cypress Hill

I wholeheartedly agree that SOME guys are setting themselves up for a bank cleaning event and send themselves to ruins. Not all, but some. I would like to see the statistic of how many times foreigners have bought land with their Thai wives only to be ousted and lose it all. Be an interesting number for sure.

Now something else to consider, not all guys are in ruins if the plan should go sideways. I have had days in the stock market where I lost a Thai home and bought a Thai home (value wise) in market swings. So one could say their is risk in anything we venture into. For me, its all calculated. I look at it more from venture capitalist point of view. I am willing to drop some money with the full intent it fly's and goes the distance. If it goes belly up, well so be it. Can't live in fear of those things. Heck there are gold digging woman here in the US that seek out wealthy guys to hook and bury them. There are suckers everywhere. On a positive note though, If it was to go sideways the path out is sure a heck of a lot cleaner then here in the US. Just pack up and go. no attorneys, no lawyers, no support.

My point is I am cognizant of the potential pitfalls but do not dwell on it.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

@Cypress Hill

I wholeheartedly agree that SOME guys are setting themselves up for a bank cleaning event and send themselves to ruins. Not all, but some. I would like to see the statistic of how many times foreigners have bought land with their Thai wives only to be ousted and lose it all. Be an interesting number for sure.

Now something else to consider, not all guys are in ruins if the plan should go sideways. I have had days in the stock market where I lost a Thai home and bought a Thai home (value wise) in market swings. So one could say their is risk in anything we venture into. For me, its all calculated. I look at it more from venture capitalist point of view. I am willing to drop some money with the full intent it fly's and goes the distance. If it goes belly up, well so be it. Can't live in fear of those things. Heck there are gold digging woman here in the US that seek out wealthy guys to hook and bury them. There are suckers everywhere. On a positive note though, If it was to go sideways the path out is sure a heck of a lot cleaner then here in the US. Just pack up and go. no attorneys, no lawyers, no support.

Yeah, but you sound like your heads screwed on tight, bro.

Good luck to you

You missed my point. Somebody will always pay for that land I dont care who you pass it to. Just because you carefully set up a will doesn't change that.

I don't get this part. When I buy a house I am agreeing to pay taxes to pay for the 1st world amenities. My taxes are $2,000 a year and they pay for things I couldn't even get in Thailand. I get safe drinking water and proper sanitary sewer. I get proper streets with curbs, gutters, storm drains, sidewalks which are clear and free of litter, good fire and police, quick ambulance service with trained paramedics on board, safe electrical throughout the home and neighborhood, and I could go on and on. Some of the money goes to check up on the private providers such as the electric company to assure proper installation and maintenance of their equipment.

I think that's a bargain.

As for costs, go buy this 12 year old house that's about 20 miles outside of Atlanta, Georgia. You'll have great weather without the stifling heat of Thailand. Just give the inside a fresh coat of paint to your choice of colors, shampoo the carpet, and move in for:

Less than 2.5 million baht (prices are always negotiable) and you'll own the land. I think that's cheaper than Thailand including the land, a two car garage, a Western kitchen and baths, central heat and aircon, etc.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/344-Chesapeak-Way_Rockmart_GA_30153_M59956-06861?row=19

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

@Cypress Hill

I agree! Edited by SpokaneAl

Point taken!....Can't own land in Thailand.....

Funny thing is ....in the US ....after 3 divorces and all the ex's getting 1/2 the proceeds after selling the home.....I really don't see the difference between Thailand and the US on the Home ownership front. (In Thailand you CAN own the home!...just not the land)

And to add insult to injury in the US I had to pay ALIMONY! Don't believe they have that concept here in Thailand....

I believe that makes it at least 1-0 Thailand ahead!clap2.gif

First, I don't understand how anyone with 3 divorces and all that grief could ever get married again. Sounds like a glutton for punishment.

Second, many states in the US aren't community property states so what you owned before the marriage is always yours.

Third, in order for there to be much alimony, there has to be a large difference in earnings among other things. I would never marry a poor woman. Why bother? Actually in self-preservation I'll never get married again.

So it can boil down to planning.

But I would never "own" a house or "own" land in Thailand.

Well it's easy for me to understand why you don't understand.....Closed minded and seem set in your ways! (and I mean that in the best waywai.gif )

FIRST........3 divorces of which I have NO regrets with any ....Fantastic experiences and great times until the end. Wouldn't change a thing. Some of us (I, for one) enjoy the company of a women and have an open heart. Been with my Thai wife 10 years and never been happier! So if our relationship should end somehow and she takes the house .....so what ....I move on with 10 (or more) fantastic years of memories. Soooo....no glutton for punishment!

SECOND.......Yes ....there are many states that aren't community property states ......but you think the wife's in those states get kicked out with nothing in a divorce ....NO...its up to the discretion of the Judge......so its a "crap shoot"....maybe you win ...maybe you lose, so your fooling yourself if you believe "what you owned before marriage is always yours"

. In my scenarios my loses have been minimal (some property ...so what ....life is not defined by the property you own!)

THIRD.....YES...." in order for there to be much alimony, there has to be a large difference in earnings " ....brilliant statement!...I've got one for you .....If you don't want to pay taxes in the US DON'T make any money!.

Sad that you are prejudiced against poor people (You've just eliminated 20% of the people of the world http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/JenniferLeong.shtml)

Instead of emphasizing the size of one's bank account you should look into their heart (and before that look into your own)....Plan for That!!!!w00t.gif

Yes ...we know ....you would never own a house in Thailand ...Not your choice to buy someone you love a home and make sure they are taken care of

But some of us have made that choice and with no regrets! At least I have!

The US is a special place ....I agree....Special TAXES, more TAXES, and even more TAXES.....I believe you now need a permit to wipe your A** In America....be careful what you say as "big brother...(NASA) is listening>

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

You missed my point. Somebody will always pay for that land I dont care who you pass it to. Just because you carefully set up a will doesn't change that.

I don't get this part. When I buy a house I am agreeing to pay taxes to pay for the 1st world amenities. My taxes are $2,000 a year and they pay for things I couldn't even get in Thailand. I get safe drinking water and proper sanitary sewer. I get proper streets with curbs, gutters, storm drains, sidewalks which are clear and free of litter, good fire and police, quick ambulance service with trained paramedics on board, safe electrical throughout the home and neighborhood, and I could go on and on. Some of the money goes to check up on the private providers such as the electric company to assure proper installation and maintenance of their equipment.

I think that's a bargain.

As for costs, go buy this 12 year old house that's about 20 miles outside of Atlanta, Georgia. You'll have great weather without the stifling heat of Thailand. Just give the inside a fresh coat of paint to your choice of colors, shampoo the carpet, and move in for:

Less than 2.5 million baht (prices are always negotiable) and you'll own the land. I think that's cheaper than Thailand including the land, a two car garage, a Western kitchen and baths, central heat and aircon, etc.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/344-Chesapeak-Way_Rockmart_GA_30153_M59956-06861?row=19

1. Atlanta weather (see photo, the white stuff is snow and ice). 2. Average 12 year old home price in Thailand in a non tourist is much less 2.5 million baht. PS you don't need heat in Thailand.biggrin.png

For example, these four cities have fair-to-substandard drinking water:

• Atlanta, which maintains its distribution system poorly
  • Albuquerque and San Francisco, which have poor treatment systems
  • Fresno, which has no real source water protection

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities.asp

And get real about the land ownership thing. In Singapore 90% of the folks own homes. Home ownership in the USA is less than the UK, Australia, Poland, China and Bulgaria for C's sake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

post-187908-0-95782500-1410830234_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo