Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Although I am voting Yes in this referendum, and I am campaigning hard to make sure it happens - I am looking forward to having dual-citizenship, Scottish and British.

I'll take great delight in using the excellent British Embassy and overseas business offices when it suits me. Also, it will allow me to access the UK NHS, so if I'm needing an expensive operation, I'll get it done there, and save the Scottish NHS some money.

Win-win all round.

Vote Yes - and get dual-nationality.

As a Scot based overseas, I'm a bit miffed that I can't vote, But, on the other hand, it's a nice feeling to know that in the event of a Yes vote, the English/Welsh/Northern Irish taxpayers will continue to pay my pensions for evermore. From the bottom of my heart - thanks, guys!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Queen will remain Queen of Scotland....there is no question there at all.

So you want your cake and eat it? Why didn't you say. Well I don't know constitutionally how that would work. Maybe the Queen will see independence as total independence. Shame about Balmoral.

Try not to advertise your ignorance on this issue Jim... I know you see yourself as the king of this forum but on Scottish independence you are out of your depth....run along now.

It was tongue in cheek smokie and as for your other implication the thought has never ever crossed my mind, nor would it when there are folks on here with 50K plus posts. Old age has you becoming bitter and twisted.

There you go. Fixed it for you...

Well done, sustento. What about the Welsh and Northern Irish elements of this new country? Don't they count? I suppose old habits die hard. sad.png

So it's ok for Scotland to be an independent country but not England?

England has more or less been an independent country for centuries, also known as "Great" Britain.

So you want your cake and eat it? Why didn't you say. Well I don't know constitutionally how that would work. Maybe the Queen will see independence as total independence. Shame about Balmoral.

Try not to advertise your ignorance on this issue Jim... I know you see yourself as the king of this forum but on Scottish independence you are out of your depth....run along now.

It was tongue in cheek smokie and as for your other implication the thought has never ever crossed my mind, nor would it when there are folks on here with 50K plus posts. Old age has you becoming bitter and twisted.

Smokie is a handsome, young whippersnapper. You've gotten it wrong once again.

How much will England lose financially if Scotland separates?

They must be sh*tting themselves.

Of course they are, why do you think "call me Dave", Milliband, and Darling keep coming up with scare stories to frighten us? If they had to subsidise us, would they not just say "give the Scots their independence", it means we will be financially better off? I rest my case.

English history in six easy steps -

1. Got done in by the Romans.

2. Got done in by the Saxons.

3. Got done in by the French.

4. Got done in by the Scots.

5. Got done in by the plague.

6. Got done in by the Scots again when we joined them and sucked them dry for 307 years. Now they're £1.4 trillion in debt, we'll just leave them to it.

What a useless nation.

No 7. Got tanned by the Irish in 1920 when Michael Collins and the original IRA sent the Black and Tans back to England to think again.

Interesting that you think the Queen of England would remain as the Queen of Scotland.

How is Libby and the English Monarchy viewed in general within Scotland?

How are they viewed in general anywhere?

6. Got done in by the Scots again when we joined them and sucked them dry for 307 years. Now they're £1.4 trillion in debt, we'll just leave them to it.

What a useless nation.

No 7. Got tanned by the Irish in 1920 when Michael Collins and the original IRA sent the Black and Tans back to England to think again.

Bad reference ;) Apologies wai.gif

Edited by jpinx

Although if he abdicated (or died) and William stepped up - that might make a difference.

Not to me....another chinless wonder....the monarchy are finished...but that is for another thread....let's stay on topic.

Finished you must be joking? having survived the Diana and Fergie episodes they seem to be invigorated! and are now more popular than ever!

And believe me who is a anti Monarchist!

Me.

What a useless nation.

That'll be the Englishman, Micheal Collins, born in London? At least the Scots heroes were home-grown wink.png

Born in London??????? He was born in County Cork.He moved to london to work as a young man, then moved back to Ireland and fought during the Easter Rising in 1916.

What a useless nation.

That'll be the Englishman, Micheal Collins, born in London? At least the Scots heroes were home-grown wink.png

Born in London??????? He was born in County Cork.He moved to london to work as a young man, then moved back to Ireland and fought during the Easter Rising in 1916.

I think a lot of Scots will soon be doing the same thing, moving to London to work that is...laugh.png

Sorry Poss whistling.gif ....tongue.png

What a useless nation.

Hmmmm, so whilst all the above was happening, what was Scotland doing.....?

You sound like someone that lives in the past....rolleyes.gif

I hate to mention modern stuff that interest most folk, like, Football, Rugby for instance, stuff done by a TEAM.

But I ain't stooping so low as to verbally attack Scots folk, theres nothing to attack. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Great news. Who cares what happens to England. We hate them and all they have done from tricking us into the Union, The Highland clearances, killing our Queen, Margaret Thantcher etc etc. I feel for the Welsh but. Maybe we could take them with us, Thatcher f****d them as well.

Personally I don't think we should accept a share of their debt and to you English who say it's better for England - ha ha ha, you are screwed without us.

Drink too much whiskey and it's liable to effect your thought process.

• Like 1

The Scots have always been parasites on England, the sooner we dump them the better.

Jacky that was a terrible thing to say. Scotland has produced some of the finest scientists and engineers, world dependent inventions and huge industries.

I hope they do get independence. But only if it's properly planned and managed and isn't just an ego stroking exercise for Salmond.

Half the problem is they need a new sense of identity to renew their confidence and self-esteem.

I would bet on the Jocks. I've never met an incompetent one yet.

Incredible reply, finest scientist and engineers, you could have also mentioned Inventors such as American Philo Farmsworth for the television, or Italian Antonio Meucci for the telephone.

As for incompetent Scots, Tony Lier Blair, Gordon Bigot Brown, The MP for Rotherham during the recent publicised child sex abuse Dennis Macshane who has since served prison time for fraud. The list goes on. Has England produced incompetent economist and politicians, "sure"

but since the Scots have always been over represented in the UK parliament,their No's do stick out. Will things change in a none Scottish dominated Westminster parliament, I don't know, will things improve in Scotland, I doubt it.

I think if the yes vote wins by a small margin that the UK government will somehow try to get a second vote. Probably have some negotiations and then demand a vote on those so as to delay the inevitable. Just like happened in Ireland when the people voted no when hey were supposed to vote yes. They just gave them some extra money and they vote yes like they were supposed to the next time.

They can't. This is one time only. A yes is a yes, even if it is a win by one vote. A no is a no, there will be no more referendums on this issue.

According to Alex Salmonds and the SNP, in the event of a NO vote there will not be another referendum on this issue for 25/30 yrs. then of course it will be on the table again. However some Nationalist supporters are already saying that they will demand another referendum between 5/10 yrs. I believe this uncertainty along with the likelihood of more dislike between the two sides would be in nobodies interest, BETTER to have a FULL separation now.

In the event of a Yes vote, then you are correct there will be no further vote on this issue, as the people in the remaining UK would certainly reject the idea.

Sorry to hear that.....sad.png

There are exceptions of course but generally it similar to Isarn and Bangkok or Thailand and Myanmar/Cambodia. History is never forgotten.

You cannot rely on the truthfulness of history as told in Thai schools. The same as Mel Gibson's film.

I'm sure the Scots will do what's best for them, but it will be very close and it's a one off shot.

If it's Yes then it's going to feel strange, somehow the UK of England, Wales & NI just doesn't cut it!

Who says it a one off shot? Maybe for Cameron and Salmond and their personal careers, which is what their focus is on.

Well, how many referendums do you think there will be on this subject?

No idea. Depends on how long the UK and its constituent countries tolerate politicians of the caliber of Cameron and Salmond. So probably another referendum when some dopes decide on one,

The Scots have always been parasites on England, the sooner we dump them the better.

For the first 260/270 yrs of the union very true, so what changed?.

Sounds like Nontabury is one of those typical condescending Englishmen.

Get your facts straight before posting this tripe and other such nonsense in recent posts.

I think a lot of Scots will soon be doing the same thing, moving to London to work that is...laugh.png

Sorry Poss whistling.gif ....tongue.png

Only if they meet the immigration requirements - loss of EU membership removes certain rights! thumbsup.gif

For the first 260/270 yrs of the union very true, so what changed?.

Sounds like Nontabury is one of those typical condescending Englishmen.

Get your facts straight before posting this tripe and other such nonsense in recent posts.

Is it happy hour over there right now?

• Like 1

What a useless nation.

You forgot to add murdered by his own side, the faction led by the scheming American who wanted to be President.

The whole of Europe had enough of slaughter, and nobody wanted anymore war. The Irish took advantage so good look to them. The original IRA and their flying columns were soldiers, and acted accordingly. They fought against the irregular and somewhat flawed auxiliaries, the Black and Tans and the constabulary. The Black and Tans and their dubious behavior turned massive numbers of British people into sympathy with the Irish, at a time when the British government were fearful of what has happened in Russia and many other European countries. The British government would have received little support from the people had it decided to really use all its forces to crush the Irish.

Any chance of some Levity could be introduced into the Debate?

Well ... since no-one actually voted NO ...

BoysScottish_zps33400b86.png

I love the "Bro"...I think daddy will knock that out of them quick hahaha!

However....like all kids they are our future.....and in Scotland we want the best opportunities for ours....so we are voting to give them the opportunity to rule their own country.

Its quite simple when you think about it.

No doubt you will support the Shetland Islanders too, if they vote to be independent of the UK and Scotland. All that lovely oil and their Scandinavian heritage. Still, Scotland has the whisky, tourism and tartan.

What a useless nation.

Lmao....so true....and now we are going to kick em when they are down.....

because you'd never kick em when they're up.