Lite Beer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of answers online.

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Your comment is a indicative of the mainstream English myopic and imperialistic view that the world revolves around your borders, Scotland has been the bedrock of the UK economy for generations and has subsidized the "soft" south for many, many years.

If the population of Scotland resist the white noise and scaremongering from the NO campaign, it will only take a few short years for it to become obvious that this should have been done years ago.

An independent and revitalized Scotland will never look back after it loses the handbrake called England...

Yeah right. That's why so many Scots have had to leave Scotland. Don't think the SNP have real plans - they only want their own way, keep the oil, keep the GBP, default on the debt, get EU to give them special status and change the rules, worry about passports and treaties later.

Yes, of course all the other countries are going to be fighting to get to Salmond's door to sign treaties and become partners. That's why several international leaders have advised not to go. They are realists.

• Like 1

I find it amazing that there are 120K+ non-Scots entitled to vote, but Scottish expatriates cannot.

Even more amazing that the citizens of the other 3 nations that make the UK aren't being given a vote either. Cameron doesn't see it's any of their business what happens to the UK on his watch.

And people think the UK is democratic.

I think if the yes vote wins by a small margin that the UK government will somehow try to get a second vote. Probably have some negotiations and then demand a vote on those so as to delay the inevitable. Just like happened in Ireland when the people voted no when hey were supposed to vote yes. They just gave them some extra money and they vote yes like they were supposed to the next time.

Ratchet referenda.

The Irish had to fight for 800 years to get independence from Britain.

I'm sure the Scots will do what's best for them, but it will be very close and it's a one off shot.

If it's Yes then it's going to feel strange, somehow the UK of England, Wales & NI just doesn't cut it!

Who says it a one off shot? Maybe for Cameron and Salmond and their personal careers, which is what their focus is on.

I think if the yes vote wins by a small margin that the UK government will somehow try to get a second vote. Probably have some negotiations and then demand a vote on those so as to delay the inevitable. Just like happened in Ireland when the people voted no when hey were supposed to vote yes. They just gave them some extra money and they vote yes like they were supposed to the next time.

Ratchet referenda.

The Irish had to fight for 800 years to get independence from Britain.

I was thinking about Ireland and their EU referendums.

The Scots have always been parasites on England, the sooner we dump them the better.

Jacky that was a terrible thing to say. Scotland has produced some of the finest scientists and engineers, world dependent inventions and huge industries.

I hope they do get independence. But only if it's properly planned and managed and isn't just an ego stroking exercise for Salmond.

Half the problem is they need a new sense of identity to renew their confidence and self-esteem.

I would bet on the Jocks. I've never met an incompetent one yet.

Indeed, Alexander Fleming, Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, John Logie Baird, Alex Ferguson and Bill Shankly, to name but a few. wink.png

What about Jock Stein?

Sounds they want all the benefits but don't want to pay for them, so they will still be a millstone around the neck of the UK

Won't the UK have to change its name? Scotland is easy. What will the remainder be called? Maybe at the same time you could take the opportunity to do away with that awful national anthem in favour of something with a bit more oomph! about it. coffee1.gif

It has been proposed that the rump of the UK be called the Former UK.......or FUK for short.

• Like 2

I'm sure the Scots will do what's best for them, but it will be very close and it's a one off shot.

If it's Yes then it's going to feel strange, somehow the UK of England, Wales & NI just doesn't cut it!

Who says it a one off shot? Maybe for Cameron and Salmond and their personal careers, which is what their focus is on.

Well, how many referendums do you think there will be on this subject?

I think a break up of the UK will be a disaster for everyone involved. I also despair that a film and a television debate could be the basis of a 'yes' vote, particularly among the young.

I'm English and 100% agree it's for the Scot's to decide this issue. But is it the Scots?. What about the thousands that live in England, Wales and N Ireland - not to mention those living abroad. They have no say. What about the English and immigrants living in Scotland who do have a say?.

It's an irreversible decision, not like a general election where you can reverse things at the next polling day. That's what worries me. That teenager swimmer that won the gold medal and held his fist up crying 'freedom' summed some of it up for me. You would think Scotland was Albania or something under the Soviets.

I know all the issues such as currency etc. have been well discussed, without any clear answer but, at the end of the day Scotland will be a foreign country and so will England. The EU issue would then be interesting. Suppose Scotland applies to join and just as the application is being approved the rest of the UK leave the EU under the Cameron referendum?. What is the position on freedom of movement between and EU and non EU country?. Border controls on the M6 are not such an absurd proposition after all. Someone on this forum can tell me that I'm sure.

The first thing ex pat's in Thailand will notice with a 'yes' vote is a major fall in the pound. It has already been falling gradually due to the uncertainty. By the way, why does the yes campaign want to keep the pound with interest rates for example being set by London?

I assume Scotland will have a president rather than the current monarchy. I wonder who that might be?.

Also, what happens to all those Scots with UK passports?. Those in England can use them but Scots in Scotland will have to have their own?.

I honestly am not trying to be smart. I love Scotland and have spent many happy times in that country both working and holidaymaking.

But....if I were Scot and had a vote I think it would certainly be 'No'. I just think there are so many uncertainties and complexities with uncoupling the two countries after 3/4 hundred years that it's too risky.

I've been a Labour voter all my life and would never want a Tory government if I had my way. But that's democracy for you.

It seems all you are basing your opinion on is what your media would like you to believe.

People in Scotland are changing their votes to YES because they are attending meetings all over the country and listening and debating the real facts which will change Scotland forever.

The no campaign would like us all to believe it will be so hard....what about passports....I wonder how Scots will manage to tie their shoelaces without England to hold their hand?

Truth is very little will change for the first couple of years and as to border checkpoints being set up....well we might need them to keep migrants from England out!!

That last line was a joke....of sorts anyway.....biggrin.png

Who says little will change - Salmond because he needs a couple of years or more to think things through and sort out all the issues.

Scotland leaves the UK and its gone - not oh well we leaving but it might be a long winded process while we sort it all out. All the UK government workers located in low employment areas will need to relocate or be fired.Can't see redundancy and compensation being paid, force majeure and all that. Salmond will no doubt grant them similar positions in his republic's administration. Lot of businesses will be pulling out to - only went there for the UK government subsidies.

The ordinary English people cannot be blamed for any injustice over Scotland, I have friends who are English, yes there have been some Ass-oles among them, but the greatest majority are decent people, and if I had my choice, I would not have been born Scottish, saying that, I also have a lot of Scottish friends.

Ed Milliband is proposing to put guards on the border to prevent the English from fleeing to Scotland.

10671488_1549723281916284_82099273132440

In other news - Alex Salmond is being blamed for the rise of ISIS, gassing of the Jews, and for ordering the murder of first born boys in biblical times.

This - gentleman - is the lunacy being spouted today by the British media.

Shameful.

As I said before....here is what Alex Salmond was up to yesterday in Inverness.....its on Facebook I am afraid for those technophobes who aren't on there I apologise. tongue.png

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152661291653680

Anyone know what Mr Darling was up to?......perhaps out hunting with the royal party nearby?? clap2.gif

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah, curry and chips.............laugh.png

Whaaaaaat!!!! No haggis?

George Osborne is proposing committing a criminal offence by offering new powers to Scotland new powers this week. Would you like proof?

Here's what Osborne said live on TV this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29098887

I read that elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see what he actually does.

It was leaked by the Guardian last night - what I've heard so far is the transfer of all transport policy to Scotland, so that should mean we get the airline tax, and full control of the benefit system, ie - an end to the bedroom tax.

They still, though - will not allow the oil revenue to remain in Scotland.

The announcement will be made either tomorrow or more likely, Tuesday - and it is in contravention of law.

Edited by ScotSurvey

I think a break up of the UK will be a disaster for everyone involved. I also despair that a film and a television debate could be the basis of a 'yes' vote, particularly among the young.

I'm English and 100% agree it's for the Scot's to decide this issue. But is it the Scots?. What about the thousands that live in England, Wales and N Ireland - not to mention those living abroad. They have no say. What about the English and immigrants living in Scotland who do have a say?.

It's an irreversible decision, not like a general election where you can reverse things at the next polling day. That's what worries me. That teenager swimmer that won the gold medal and held his fist up crying 'freedom' summed some of it up for me. You would think Scotland was Albania or something under the Soviets.

I know all the issues such as currency etc. have been well discussed, without any clear answer but, at the end of the day Scotland will be a foreign country and so will England. The EU issue would then be interesting. Suppose Scotland applies to join and just as the application is being approved the rest of the UK leave the EU under the Cameron referendum?. What is the position on freedom of movement between and EU and non EU country?. Border controls on the M6 are not such an absurd proposition after all. Someone on this forum can tell me that I'm sure.

The first thing ex pat's in Thailand will notice with a 'yes' vote is a major fall in the pound. It has already been falling gradually due to the uncertainty. By the way, why does the yes campaign want to keep the pound with interest rates for example being set by London?

I assume Scotland will have a president rather than the current monarchy. I wonder who that might be?.

Also, what happens to all those Scots with UK passports?. Those in England can use them but Scots in Scotland will have to have their own?.

I honestly am not trying to be smart. I love Scotland and have spent many happy times in that country both working and holidaymaking.

But....if I were Scot and had a vote I think it would certainly be 'No'. I just think there are so many uncertainties and complexities with uncoupling the two countries after 3/4 hundred years that it's too risky.

I've been a Labour voter all my life and would never want a Tory government if I had my way. But that's democracy for you.

What!! a Labout voter, is that because like most Labour voters, you voted Labour because your Father voted Labour?

It seems all you are basing your opinion on is what your media would like you to believe.

People in Scotland are changing their votes to YES because they are attending meetings all over the country and listening and debating the real facts which will change Scotland forever.

The no campaign would like us all to believe it will be so hard....what about passports....I wonder how Scots will manage to tie their shoelaces without England to hold their hand?

Truth is very little will change for the first couple of years and as to border checkpoints being set up....well we might need them to keep migrants from England out!!

Who says little will change - Salmond because he needs a couple of years or more to think things through and sort out all the issues.

Scotland leaves the UK and its gone - not oh well we leaving but it might be a long winded process while we sort it all out. All the UK government workers located in low employment areas will need to relocate or be fired.Can't see redundancy and compensation being paid, force majeure and all that. Salmond will no doubt grant them similar positions in his republic's administration. Lot of businesses will be pulling out to - only went there for the UK government subsidies.

Salmond might not win a Scottish election.

That will be a whole different election campaign....although given Labour's cosy relationship with the hated Tories in Scotland you would have to favour his chances.

Fact is Salmond can't really say what his plans will be until he gets a YES vote and a mandate to campaign for the leadership of a new independent Scotland.

• Like 1

Anyone seen Mr Darling this week?

The most campaigners must be busy drafting their... "I have a piece of paper"...." Vote no and we guarantee you will get...umm.....a little bit more than nothing....maybe....."

Clueless....Negative and Bitter Together.

Fact is Salmond can't really say what his plans will be until he gets a YES vote and a mandate to campaign for the leadership of a new independent Scotland.

Why is that...?

Do you have insider info.....?

Lots of answers online.

Your comment is a indicative of the mainstream English myopic and imperialistic view that the world revolves around your borders, Scotland has been the bedrock of the UK economy for generations and has subsidized the "soft" south for many, many years.

If the population of Scotland resist the white noise and scaremongering from the NO campaign, it will only take a few short years for it to become obvious that this should have been done years ago.

An independent and revitalized Scotland will never look back after it loses the handbrake called England...

Yeah right. That's why so many Scots have had to leave Scotland. Don't think the SNP have real plans - they only want their own way, keep the oil, keep the GBP, default on the debt, get EU to give them special status and change the rules, worry about passports and treaties later.

Yes, of course all the other countries are going to be fighting to get to Salmond's door to sign treaties and become partners. That's why several international leaders have advised not to go. They are realists.

You are forgetting that a Yes vote does not necessary mean a vote for Salmond.

• Like 1

Its simple transam....a YES vote will trigger a completely different battle....one focused on who can deliver the best deal for Scotland initially....and offer a vision of Scotland that the majority of our people want.

That's a tricky proposition....as we are a fickle bunch! :-p

Its simple transam....a YES vote will trigger a completely different battle....one focused on who can deliver the best deal for Scotland initially....and offer a vision of Scotland that the majority of our people want.

That's a tricky proposition....as we are a fickle bunch! :-p

Sorry, run out of likes.......thumbsup.gif