If Scotland votes to leave is the pound doomed?

Be a shame to see Scotland go independent, i always liked the fact/illussion that England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland were so unified as 4 separate countries.
However if Scotland does go its separate way then i'm guessing so will Wales and there will be nothing but divides and possibly the demise of the British monarchy.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be a shame to see Scotland go independent, i always liked the fact/illussion that England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland were so unified as 4 separate countries.

However if Scotland does go its separate way then i'm guessing so will Wales and there will be nothing but divides and possibly the demise of the British monarchy.

Dear me !! Maybe you want to check on the status of Ireland since the 1920's ;)

if Scotland secedes the Sassenach will retaliate and switch from Scottish single malt to French cognac wink.png

No need. The Sassenach already own most of the Single and Blended Malt and surprisingly the Frogs tend to drink more Scotch than Cognac.

Sterlings fall today is linked to the latest inflation figures which were down to 1.5% , hence no pressure on Carney to lift interest rates in the short term. Good news for consumers but a damper on Sterling, be a different story in the New Year , baht will have to weaken somewhat because inflation in Thailand is starting to take a grip.

Surely the markets understand that Carnage has no intention of raising rates until after the elction next May. Low rates are caMORON's only hope of re-election.

The other thing that is becoming a big problem for Thailand is the constant bad news regarding tourists the latest killing of the boy and girl is very big news around the world

By wife tells me the Thai media is spinning the story that the perpetrators of this terrible crime are NOT Thais, surprise,surprise.

Does Wales have an oil industry to give them the illusion that they will be more prosperous than remaining in the uK.?.

• Like 1

Does Wales have an oil industry to give them the illusion that they will be more prosperous than remaining in the uK.?.

In a word - yes -- and lots of heavy industry in south wales, even a nuclear plant and military bases. They'd have no trouble going it alone :)

If a YES Scotland is so intent on joining the EU why don't they use the euro after being admitted, or is that one of the unanswered questions...?

(If they are admitted)..whistling.gif

If they get admitted to the EU they will have to commit to the Euro, it is non negotiable these days.

if the YES wins then Independence day will be in March 2016, the real problem will arise during the transition or if they fail to enter the EU.

I am not sure if they can apply for membership prior to independence but I doubt it. I think they need 2 years on their own two feet before membership would be granted, so the Euro may not be available till about mid 2018.

In a word - yes -- and lots of heavy industry in south wales, even a nuclear plant and military bases. They'd have no trouble going it alone :)

Possible anywhere could go it alone,even the island of Lundy. The trick is to make it liveable and for the people to prosper. Relate this to Scotland and I'm sure we can all agree that a separated Scotland can go it alone, maybe even prosper, however can it be more prosperous as a separate country, especially as the "YES" side cannot answer certain basic questions.

If a YES Scotland is so intent on joining the EU why don't they use the euro after being admitted, or is that one of the unanswered questions...?

(If they are admitted)..whistling.gif

If they get admitted to the EU they will have to commit to the Euro, it is non negotiable these days.

if the YES wins then Independence day will be in March 2016, the real problem will arise during the transition or if they fail to enter the EU.

I am not sure if they can apply for membership prior to independence but I doubt it. I think they need 2 years on their own two feet before membership would be granted, so the Euro may not be available till about mid 2018.

And if they do apply and are accepted will they be INDEPENDENT. Certainly not to those thousands of Scots who voted for UKIP earlier this year.

In a word - yes -- and lots of heavy industry in south wales, even a nuclear plant and military bases. They'd have no trouble going it alone smile.png

Possible anywhere could go it alone,even the island of Lundy. The trick is to make it liveable and for the people to prosper. Relate this to Scotland and I'm sure we can all agree that a separated Scotland can go it alone, maybe even prosper, however can it be more prosperous as a separate country, especially as the "YES" side cannot answer certain basic questions.

They seem to have stopped burning holiday cottages in Wales so maybe they have lost enthusiasm for independence.

Wales is a principality - not a kingdom, so it is not a "real" country in the way Ireland and Scotland are. Having said that - there was a kingdom of Mercia many years ago.

The US Fed meeting is due, markets are betting that the Fed will not change the base rate.

EDIT: also, UK jobless rate came in better than expected, 6.2 mill..

There ya go -- Scotland's independence is irrelevant to the markets ;)

• Like 1

The US Fed meeting is due, markets are betting that the Fed will not change the base rate.

There ya go -- Scotland's independence is irrelevant to the markets wink.png

A "yes" vote will probably see Sterling surge a little, a "no" vote will see it sink.

There ya go -- Scotland's independence is irrelevant to the markets wink.png

A "yes" vote will probably see Sterling surge a little, a "no" vote will see it sink.

The surge/sink is well within the normal range. The interesting bit will be when the decisions are being brewed regarding the "Sterling-in-Scotland" question.

• Like 1

In a word - yes -- and lots of heavy industry in south wales, even a nuclear plant and military bases. They'd have no trouble going it alone smile.png

They seem to have stopped burning holiday cottages in Wales so maybe they have lost enthusiasm for independence.

Wales is a principality - not a kingdom, so it is not a "real" country in the way Ireland and Scotland are. Having said that - there was a kingdom of Mercia many years ago.

And also the Kingdom of Northumbria, including a large part of southern Scotland, within it's area Edinburgh.

In the mean time, bankers are moving currency north to banks in Scotland in anticipation of a Yes vote...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/exclusive-millions-of-banknotes-sent-to-scotland-in-case-yes-vote-sparks-run-on-atms-9734658.html

Another interesting tidbit, the last 50 times that countries were given a vote on independence since 1846, they voted Yes, 88% of the time...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/16/when-given-the-chance-countries-tend-to-say-yes-to-independence

And also the Kingdom of Northumbria, including a large part of southern Scotland, within it's area Edinburgh.

===================>>

Northumbria was originally one of the Scottish Kingdoms

You might as well include the fact that southern England was roman originally, then the islands were under the vikings with King Canute. The English had hardly been back on the throne for ten minutes before 1066 - and we know how that went wink.png The French Normans - who were actually vikings who had settled in France - have been in England ever since smile.png

So - what is an Engishman?

I asked what is a Scot a while ago, but no-one came up with anything definitive wink.png

Some more background - if anyone is really interested in facts ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/09/11/the-peculiar-history-of-scotland-and-englands-union/

Edited by jpinx

In the mean time, bankers are moving currency north to banks in Scotland in anticipation of a Yes vote...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/exclusive-millions-of-banknotes-sent-to-scotland-in-case-yes-vote-sparks-run-on-atms-9734658.html

Another interesting tidbit, the last 50 times that countries were given a vote on independence since 1846, they voted Yes, 88% of the time...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/16/when-given-the-chance-countries-tend-to-say-yes-to-independence

Every vote's result was unacceptable to England, so Westminster had it's way -- as usual :(

I should imagine all of the banks will support a strong pound, or at least ensure there is little movement. It's the Scottish Parliament that will have a few bumpy years until things stabilise and they are propped up by financial institutions. It'll be a hell of a bun fight if they vote yes. Not against it though in principle..... UK govts have systematically failed to live up to their promises..... YES Prime-minister!

on the news today it iS reported that one major bookmaker has already paid out on no vote amazing

on the news today it iS reported that one major bookmaker has already paid out on no vote amazing

As I said in the other thread -- someone is twisting their tails -- trying to force the result....

===================>>

Northumbria was originally one of the Scottish Kingdoms

Cannot agree with you on that point, it was an Anglo-Saxon (sasonach) kingdom, with it's capital firstly in Bamburgh and latter York, both of which are in England.

Anyhow don't worry we don't want Edinburgh back.