If Scotland votes to leave is the pound doomed?

What's the reason Scottish notes are different from English notes, in the first place? Lots of countries use multiple currencies. Close to home Laos uses Kip, Baht, Dong and $ and probably Yuan

The pound is the pound whether it is a Scottish or an English note. They are not different currencies and presently have the same value.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its looking like No by around 54-46%.

Tory backbenchers, Wales and Northern England wont accept tax powers for Scotland + Barnett formula , English parliament being seriously discussed on BBC.

So it looks like no break up of the union but likely the Uk will become more federal in the future ,.good result I reckon.

Edited by joecoolfrog

The North Sea oil boom predates Salmond's political career.

He joined the SNP in 1973 when he was about 19 years old so he would have been about 21 years old when you claim you first saw his rhetoric.

He was first elected to Westminster in 1987 when he was about 33 years old.

That would be about right. Most senior politicians are very vocal in their early years. William Hague is probably the most noteable.

I do do not know about your area but in Grampian SNP was very controversial and on the news frequently. This party that Salmond signed up to advocated an SRA to operate in the same way as the IRA, hardly in the interests of the Scottish community.

Oil did not predate Salmond. My brother went to work at Ardersier in 1975 when he was 19 and stayed on the booke till they closed. My cousin also went at the same time but was made redundant early nineties and went offshore. At 67 he is still a deck supervisor on a Shell NPV. Many thet I went to school with returned to Forres to work at the yard. Later in the nineties most were made redundant and a lot of the money went back to the local community. That part of Scotland certainly prospered from the North Sea Oil.

At this point in time the English Government were not the Number 1 enemy, it was the Americans. The people of Aberdeen resented being taken over and the perception was that the Scots do the work and the Americans take the profit. Off course when they bailed out focus turned on Westminster. I had a friend, from RAF days, that had a good position in the oil industry. I visited him in 1988 in Aberdeen and he said they left like a plague of locusts, leaving a large percentage of the Aberdeen population in negative equity. Unfortunately he has since died of leukemia.

What many fail to remember is in the quest for North Sea Oil the cost in terms of human life. I saw the wreck of Piper Alpha when it was moored near Dundee, not a pretty sight. With ME countries able to get oil from the ground so easily is it worth Scotland pursuing their reserves?

It is all academic now as it would appear that Scotland will remain in the UK.