If Scotland votes to leave is the pound doomed?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understood one of the rules for any new country joining the EU was that they had to use the Euro.

By the way the oil is mine just like the pound is yours

as it is for a Welshman or somebody from any part of the UK.as you will find out when you try to steal it the English politician's have been very quiet about it so as

not to drive the majority into Salmonds black hole.

as always the lawyers are rubbing there hands.

The court cases will drag on for years.

We will join NATO (though the weapons of mass destruction

What's the reason Scottish notes are different from English notes, in the first place? Lots of countries use multiple currencies. Close to home Laos uses Kip, Baht, Dong and $ and probably Yuan

The reason that Scottish bank notes are different is that the Scottish (and Irish) banks retained the right to print their own notes when the English banks lost that right and they save the cost of paying the BoE for notes. Bank notes are what their name suggests - promissory notes of a bank. The Scottish notes are obligations of those individual banks not on the central bank and, as such, they are not legal tender. You are not obligated to accept Scottish bank notes, even in Scotland. If it goes independent, Scotland will have to set up its own central bank to issue legal tender bank notes and coins which will cost money. You can't have a country with no legal tender currency.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

What's the reason Scottish notes are different from English notes, in the first place? Lots of countries use multiple currencies. Close to home Laos uses Kip, Baht, Dong and $ and probably Yuan

The reason that Scottish bank notes are different is that the Scottish (and Irish) banks retained the right to print their own notes when the English banks lost that right and they save the cost of paying the BoE for notes. Bank notes are what their name suggests - promissory notes of a bank. The Scottish notes are obligations of those individual banks not on the central bank and, as such, they are not legal tender. You are not obligated to accept Scottish bank notes, even in Scotland. If it goes independent, Scotland will have to set up its own central bank to issue legal tender bank notes and coins which will cost money. You can't have a country with no legal tender currency.

Just try changing some of those Scottish Pesos in Thailand. No one will touch them.

• Like 2

"You can't have a country with no legal tender currency" - that's why Salmond thinks he can carry on using the GBP. Same as he thinks he will dictate the terms of Scotland entering the UN, NATO, IMF, UN and every other thing that's current;y taken for granted. His arrogance is only outweighed by his pomposity. When he's told these are the terms, take them or piss off he will be in the crap house as he's not alternative plans.

• Like 1

I understood one of the rules for any new country joining the EU was that they had to use the Euro.

By the way the oil is mine just like the pound is yours

as it is for a Welshman or somebody from any part of the UK.as you will find out when you try to steal it the English politician's have been very quiet about it so as

not to drive the majority into Salmonds black hole.

as always the lawyers are rubbing there hands.

The court cases will drag on for years.

We will join NATO (though the weapons of mass destruction

not mandatory.

And for those with GBP held in Scottish banks or other deposit taking institutions, what becomes of that money if Scotland leaves and adopts a currency that is not the GBP?

these deposits will still GBP. the various non-DEM currencies i held in my Luxembourg bank did not morph into €UR when the latter was introduced. i even had 12 months to decide in which currency to switch my vanishing DEM.

And for those with GBP held in Scottish banks or other deposit taking institutions, what becomes of that money if Scotland leaves and adopts a currency that is not the GBP?

these deposits will still GBP. the various non-DEM currencies i held in my Luxembourg bank did not morph into €UR when the latter was introduced. i even had 12 months to decide in which currency to switch my vanishing DEM.

This is a little different because the Scots have their own Pound which is backed by individual banks much like the Hong Kong dollar.

HKD is tied to the USD but I am not sure how strong the link is to the BOE for the Scottish Pound.

post-202194-0-98373600-1410138744_thumb.

post-202194-0-02251900-1410138769_thumb.

The issue currently is the uncertainty of the outcome, until that is resolved I expect GBP to continue to weaken. If the campaign for independence fails then it's business as usual, for me that means an initial strengthening followed by a slow decline. If the campaign succeeds, dunno. Either way, I'm happy to be mostly in THB at this moment.

• Like 1

The problem though is that the pound will tank. Though the upside is that in the future labour will be virtually finished in Britain ukip v Tory in the future ?

Perhaps Govt wants it to tank in the global race to the bottom.

• Like 1

This is a little different because the Scots have their own Pound which is backed by individual banks much like the Hong Kong dollar.

HKD is tied to the USD but I am not sure how strong the link is to the BOE for the Scottish Pound.

the fact that Scottish Pounds exist does not affect any GBP deposits held in Scottish financial institutions.

It's certainly possible to have a country without a currency of its own. Both Panama and Ecuador use the USD as their legal currency, to say nothing of Euroland whose countries do not have their own currency. However, it's a bad idea not to have your own currency as Greece and Spain could tell you.

• Like 2

It's certainly possible to have a country without a currency of its own. Both Panama and Ecuador use the USD as their legal currency, to say nothing of Euroland whose countries do not have their own currency. However, it's a bad idea not to have your own currency as Greece and Spain could tell you.

legal tender in the British Virgin Islands is the US-Dollar. the BVIs are of course not a country but considered British Overseas Territory.