Skin cleanser scam

dexterm

Well, not quite a scam, but very exorbitant prices and very high pressure cute European sales girls.

I’ve seen similar outfits operating around the world, but in Pattaya and Bangkok they work in Big C malls.

If you walk too close to their stand...and I'm a sucker for a pretty girl smiling at me.. they grab your arm and thrust a free sample of what turns out to be skin cleanser into your palm. So there you are with a hand full of gunk that she is kneading into your hand and wrist, staring into your face with the most beautiful eyes. Me being a polite sort of guy and nothing to wipe my hands on, go along with the extremely high powered sales pitch. She shows you all the grime the cream extracts and offers 2 products for 3,000 baht each, one of them appears to be simply rock salt. I eventually managed to make my excuses and get away..I didn’t have enough money on me anyway. She even has an answer for that and will then offer you a lower priced version.

I normally have no trouble saying no to any sort of hustlers, but in this case you are quickly ambushed with a pile of messy cream on your hand that you’d have to otherwise go to the bathroom to get rid of.

It could be an added problem if you had a girl with you. She would lose face and you’d be a kin niow if you declined.

Technically not a scam. There is a product for sale but IMO well overpriced.

Just a heads up for forum members if you are passing that way.

Had one on the 5th floor of central do this to me the other day. It was a cream made from that Mauka <sp> Honey from New zealand that gets into your pours and is so good you only have to use it once a week. Nice farang young lady she was, then after about 15 minutes of talking and wiping cream on me she drops the bombshell, 6,000 baht for a jar. I'm off, sorry my lady is waiting for me downstairs. Wait, today just for you I not make any commission I can give to you for cost only, 3,200 baht. A quick sorry and I left but I admit I enjoyed talking with her.

I have never regretted dressing cheaply.

Salesmen dont bother me. Beggars dont bother me. Pickpockets barely even look at me.

Bliss.

Hey, I was dressed in a T shirt, shorts and flip flops all bought from Big C, didn't stop her having a go at me.

Edit: She did ask me if I had a girlfriend, do you think she was after my body? 555

Edited by Ling Kae

nothing to wipe my hands on

On her pseudo-clinical looking smock? The sales counter. Passersby. The moving handrail on the escalator?

Technically not a scam.

Why is every little thing that causes even the most minor inconvenience to Khun Farang in Thailand, immediately labeled a scam? Technically? Not even far-fetchedly.

It could be an added problem if you had a girl with you. She would lose face ...

It's you who's going to ridiculous lengths to concoct some drama queen moment. You turning this into some major event would probably be more off-putting to any girl you were with than some store clerk doing her job . I doubt any half-way sensible girl would find any reason to fear loss of face over this, although it sounds like you did. Loss of face, as so many threads on TV illustrate, is a far greater issue to farang than any Thai.

I have never regretted dressing cheaply.

Salesmen dont bother me. Beggars dont bother me. Pickpockets barely even look at me.

Bliss.

I'm not cheap, you understand

I'm just a cut price person in a low budget land

Excuse my shoes they don't quite fit

They're a special offer and they hurt me a bit

Even my trousers are giving me pain

They were reduced in a sale so I shouldn't complain

They squeeze me so tight so I can't take no more

They're size 28 but I take 34

• Like 2

nothing to wipe my hands on

On her pseudo-clinical looking smock? The sales counter. Passersby. The moving handrail on the escalator?

Technically not a scam.

Why is every little thing that causes even the most minor inconvenience to Khun Farang in Thailand, immediately labeled a scam? Technically? Not even far-fetchedly.

Either you are one of those “the farang is always wrong” trolls, or you are recommending that members who are ambushed by these aggressive sales people should either assault the sales girl by wiping your hands on her or a passerby or vandalize the store’s property.

I hope you enjoy the food in the monkey house.

Don’t you think it would be much simpler for members to avoid the situation in the first place? Which was the purpose of my post.

But if you want to spend 6,000 baht on a jar of perfumed swarfega and a jar of rock salt. Up2u.

Edited by dexterm

I got caught the other day in Bangchang by two lovely girls one started to massage my shoulders and the other my bits and pieces then they took my wallet, be warned I got caught 4 times last week and twice so far this week, not sure where they will be next week though I am running out of walletscheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwub.png

• Like 1

Are they russian girls or maybe from New Zealand ?

I have been approached twice by these girls. I think they are Israeli and they emphasised that it was no ordinary salt but Dead Sea salt which i presume makes it superior to ordinary salt as they rubbed the salt into the wound .

Are they russian girls or maybe from New Zealand ?

I have been approached twice by these girls. I think they are Israeli and they emphasised that it was no ordinary salt but Dead Sea salt which i presume makes it superior to ordinary salt as they rubbed the salt into the wound .

Yep Dead Sea Salt is superior......it makes my food come alive

Oh for Budda's sakes. Just say "Mai Ow". Solves most of these problems with minimal fuss. Seriously, a pretty girl trying to sell you something is one of the first things you should develop immunity to in Thailand you tourist!!!

Edited by lapd