TAT set to crank up marketing to lure tourists

webfact

TAT set to crank up marketing to lure tourists
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION
CHIANG MAI

BANGKOK: -- THE Tourism Authority of Thailand is gearing up marketing for Southeast Asia, India and Oceania to regain visitors after arrivals plunged 20-40 per cent during the political crisis. "For these regions, seven offices of TAT will develop marketing strategies, in-market activities, family trips, roadshows, or whatever they can do to lure them back to Thailand," Pichai Raktasinha, director for the Asean, South Asia and South Pacific market at TAT, said last week.

The 10 million visitors coming from these three regional markets represent 40 per cent of all arrivals. The top source markets are Malaysia, Singapore, Laos and India.

However, now that a new government has been formed, most markets are rebounding, although some remain hesitant.

TAT is aiming for 8.1 million visitors from Southeast Asia next year, which is up by 12 per cent from this year's target, while revenue is expected to rise 16 per cent to Bt225 billion.

TAT hopes to increase visitors from Oceania by 6 per cent to one million and revenue by 9 per cent to Bt74 billion next year, while visitors from South Asia are expected to rise by 9 per cent to 1.3 million and revenue by 12 per cent.

TAT will run a new national campaign called "Discover Thai-ness", which features seven groups of products to draw tourists from all over the world, as well as from these regions.

Although India was the strongest market during the political crisis, the TAT offices in New Delhi and Mumbai will continue attracting arrivals by inviting luxury operators in Thailand to join an upscale trade fair from October 10-17 in four major cities - New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore and Ahmedabad to seek high-end visitors. Tourists from South Asia spend about Bt6,000 per head per day while travelling in Thailand. They are claimed to be one of the biggest spenders in Asia.

In Indonesia, more tourists are expected to come to Thailand following the establishment of an office in Jakarta a few years ago. Operators from Thailand will be invited to join a roadshow to Jakarta, Medan and Surabaya this month. Last year, 600,000 Indonesians came here and their numbers are expected to improve to 657,000 next year.

Myanmar has no office yet, but TAT has been focusing on visitors, some of whom are seen as big spenders. It is also eyeing connecting passengers. About 100,000 tourists from Myanmar visited Thailand last year.

For Malaysia, three in-bound family trips are set for this and next month to Krabi, Samui and Chiang Mai in order to keep arrivals running at over one million.

For Australia and New Zealand, tourists will be encouraged to re-visit beaches and islands in the South. This year, TAT will look for high spenders by bringing operators to join the "Luxperience Mart" in Sydney from September 5-9.

Kanokkittika Kritwutikon, director of TAT's Singapore office, said about one million visitors came to Thailand last year. From January-July this year, the figure dropped by 21 per cent. However, TAT projects arrivals from Singapore to grow 16 per cent to 1.1 million next year from this year's target of 900,000.

La-iad Bungsrithong, president of the Thai Hotels Association's Northern Chapter, said Chiang Mai could attract tourists from neighbouring countries as it has a variety of products covering culture and tradition to natural beauty.

Last year, almost six million visitors travelled to the city through Chiang Mai International Airport. During the political crisis in Bangkok, hotels and related business enjoyed a windfall as many tourists avoided travelling to the capital. China is the biggest inbound market for Chiang Mai right now, replacing Japan and South Korea.

Jaison Yang, general manager of Manila-based Travel Warehouse Inc, believes that Chiang Mai could become the next destination for Filipinos after Bangkok and Pattaya. The northern city offers a full range of products - not only culture, but also shopping and local products.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TAT-set-to-crank-up-marketing-to-lure-tourists-30242750.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"For these regions, seven offices of TAT will develop marketing strategies, in-market activities, family trips, roadshows, or whatever they can do to lure them back to Thailand,"

'Come into my web', said the spider to the fly

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

i have just spent 10 days on samui and believe me after many years of going to Chaweng 3-4 times a year I wont be back ...there are very few tourist centres here in thailand that are even of interest anymore ...sick of all the touts, (ridicules loud promotion pickup trucks in chawang) footpaths that are a waste of time, dirty and really how they promote thailand as a paradise i have no idea......thailand really dropped the ball , too much greed and could not care less attitude

okei bye bye

What is the point of TAT? Have they ever done anything that has increased, even by a handful, the number of quality tourists visiting Thailand.

Whilst living in Europe I never saw any evidence of their handiwork. No posters. No adverts on TV.

And anyway, is there any would-be tourist who doesn't have some idea of what Thailand has to offer having heard about the place from family and friends?

It would be fascinating to order TAT not to do any work for a year and see whether tourist arrivals were affected.

• Like 1

i have just spent 10 days on samui and believe me after many years of going to Chaweng 3-4 times a year I wont be back ...there are very few tourist centres here in thailand that are even of interest anymore ...sick of all the touts, (ridicules loud promotion pickup trucks in chawang) footpaths that are a waste of time, dirty and really how they promote thailand as a paradise i have no idea......thailand really dropped the ball , too much greed and could not care less attitude

Chaweng is the worst part of Samui in many regards. A bit like visiting the UK and staying in Newcastle. Or visiting the US, and staying in Ontario. Kind of the armpit of Samui. Especially with horrendous places like the Ark Bar. Admit your mistake.

• Like 2

Another pointless and worthless announcement made by TAT spouting unrealistic numbers and idiotic claims.

TAT will run a new national campaign called "Discover Thai-ness", which features seven groups of products to draw tourists from all over the world, as well as from these regions.

People around the world are starting to see what Thai-ness is really about. It's about lying, cheating, stealing, price gouging, and blaming everyone else but themselves for their actions and all of it done with a smile on their face.

The TAT needs to look at why people are not coming back to Thailand. It is not about the political uprising or the Armies takeover. The beaches are dirty and corruption is rampant to all levels of society. The price for a tourist attraction is up to 10 times more than a local. The smiles are not even there any more unless they

think you will spend your money in their business.

TAT is always coming out with plans to improve tourism yet they are not looking into why the tourist doesn't come back or what happens to them while they are here.

+1...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

using the "LURE" word is not a wise marketing ploy, might work on the population of Asia but farangs know very well what the word means. The word automatically sets off alarms and indicates it is a scam and a trap. Dump your marketing company because they are killing you.

Seems like alot of tourists are lured here, so TAT maybe just try to be honest in their promotions?

The TAT knows the category of tourist that have come to Thailand. Trust me - there is one type that simply want a nightlife. In fact, most tourist even with familes, want a night life for the adults. In most countries that have tourist areas, they allow bars to open 24x7. Even in the good old USA - New Orleans is a 24x7 nightlife area.

There really no reason to shut them down since tourist don't go to work in the morning. If they are having a good time let them stay in the bar. When they get tired they will get back to their rooms ok. No reason to close the bars - none. The tourist police can provide 'serve and protect'. This will get tourist coming back along with a friendly VISA. This will increase employment and income for the lower income people also.

• Like 1

It is time to get rid of the entire TAT with it's expensive staff and money burning machinery in poor attempts to 'lure' tourist to come here. It is irresponsible to leave formerly high gaining industries (rice and tourism) in the hands of overpaid amateurs.

There is enough proof by now there are no native genuine experts in those fields in Thailand. However, to solve the problem forget about this losing face b.s. and 'lure' some of the millions of professionals from outside over here to get the job done properly.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

Gonna be a waste of tax payers money again. And who knows what puny percentage of the slated amount is actually used for the real marketing. I fear for the country.p and govt. it is trying to pull out all tricks outta its old bag full of holes.

I think patching up the holes is of paramount importance rather than putting the hand inside and making the holes bigger.

What kinda special advertising can the TAT come up with that will lure many tourists here? I seriously doubt it.

[quote name="Lupatria" post="8357257" timestamp="1410141268"

It is time to get rid of the entire TAT with it's expensive staff and money burning machinery in poor attempts to 'lure' tourist to come here. It is irresponsible to leave formerly high gaining industries (rice and tourism) in the hands of overpaid amateurs.

There is enough proof by now there are no native genuine experts in those fields in Thailand. However, to solve the problem forget about this losing face b.s. and 'lure' some of the millions of professionals from outside over here to get the job done properly.

No Chance.

personally i think Thailand needs to look at addressing problems that have detered tourists from coming back, that is where the problem lies.

I think you are right but I doubt Thais see it that way, our cultures are different. Thailand thinks it is superior to every other nation, its taught at school and I guess they turn a blind eye to all the not so good bits about Thailand, it becomes like part of the wall paper to them and a big shock for tourists to find that not all in the glossy brochures is what it seems along with quickly getting the impression that I am being ripped off at almost every turn.

Perhaps the General needs to call TAT for a chat.

In the meantime lets call Thailand a Tourist Hub.

I use to holiday 2 times a year in Thailand from about 1998. I eventually I settled in Isaan and now after a few days on a beach, be it Koh Chang or Hua Hin, it is always nice to get back. The people are more friendly, the prices are considerably cheaper without anyone trying to rip you off and there are no big, fat, sweaty tourists wandering around. In my view Isaan wins hands down over the tourist destinations.

I have to agree Mr.Yim. Many seaside places and tourist attractions all around the world suffer from high prices, scams, rip offs, thieves etc. I was in Ubon Rachathani recently and really enjoyed it. Lovely restaurants by the Mun river, no hassle, no one tried any scams. Always like visiting Si Sa Ket too.

Give it a few more years and Isaan will have some beach fronts too! smile.pngwink.png

• Like 1