Tax sticker not visible on windshield

mortenaa

^^ Future advice to anyone here short time, biggrin.png or coming any time in the future, ALWAYS get more then one opinion, get several especially if Thai, many will tell you things just to make themselves look well informed or to avoid a complicated topic if for no other reason then to save face and if you're reading this now it is a good source to do that with. thumbsup.gif

You are required to display the 'tax' sticker in the windshield.

To not do so means you can be fined.

Perhaps you are confusing many many years ago when the requirement to display insurance was withdrawn.

My friend had that mental lapse and got a nice fine.

Edited by jacko45k

You were "informed"? Did you ever think that maybe you were misinformed? Did you ever think that maybe the reason everyone else on the road has the sticker posted is because it's required by law?

A small sticker in the far bottom left corner of your windshield can't be that bad. I'm sure you can bear it. Or do you just like fighting windmills and proving your point. How's that working out for you?

In the beginning of my career here, I had to rely on the information I got from my lawyers, assistants etc.. As always, some information is not accurate. This time it was obviously wrong.
Now, that I can speak Thai, and do most of my official business personally, I can seek information first hand. I did that today. I went and paid another year of tax. Got my tax sticker, and asked:
- Dtong dtit wai na gra-jok mai?
- Dtit ka..
- Ta mai dtit, pid got-mai mai?
- Pid ka...
So I guess that mean from now on, I will have a tax sticker on my windshield wink.png
Thanks for all the creative answers.. as always smile.png

And I'm going to guess that it's the same for all vehicle types, motorcycles, trucks, minibuses, cars, etc. Even those 'mai mee gra-jok'. It must be visible.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck mine up on the windshield ... Police stop ... Realised cannot be seen from outside due to tinted. Police say turn it around and never had any prob. I just show it to them from the inside

How do you see through such a deeply tinted screen for safe night driving?

• Like 2

I stuck mine up on the windshield ... Police stop ... Realised cannot be seen from outside due to tinted. Police say turn it around and never had any prob. I just show it to them from the inside

I don't mate. I don't drive nighttime ATM as I don't have to even tho if I thought it would be that dark I never would've ordered it. My bad. October I'm starting a new job and I'm gonna have to travel serious mileage to move there. So I'm gonna fix the bottom two thirds of the windscreen.

Daytime it's great. I never used to drive without sunglasses ... But nighttime I drove once with all windows down, fog lamps and still wasn't comfortable

• Like 1

I don't mate. I don't drive nighttime ATM as I don't have to even tho if I thought it would be that dark I never would've ordered it. My bad. October I'm starting a new job and I'm gonna have to travel serious mileage to move there. So I'm gonna fix the bottom two thirds of the windscreen.

Daytime it's great. I never used to drive without sunglasses ... But nighttime I drove once with all windows down, fog lamps and still wasn't comfortable

This is quite off topic, but if you are looking for a good film (heat protection) and also being able to see at night, I can really recommend 3M Crystalline.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724057-3m-crystalline-window-tint-bangkok-sukhumvit/?p=7788480

• Like 1

Cheers for that. Mine is Lite Tec, it was a freebie thrown in with the car priced at 9000฿. So obviously quite cheaper than 3MM

I'm very happy with the quality - crystal clear - no distortion at all - and with the ability to keep the heat out. No direct sun rays at any time. It's fantastic during the day. Twilight and night very dangerous can only see 6 feet in front. It doesn't help that street lighting doesn't exist in most areas of Isaan.

I plan on leaving windows as they are and reducing the tint on the lower 2/3 of the windscreen to a safe level to drive night time. Probably 20-25%

• Like 1

Cheers for that. Mine is Lite Tec, it was a freebie thrown in with the car priced at 9000฿. So obviously quite cheaper than 3MM

I'm very happy with the quality - crystal clear - no distortion at all - and with the ability to keep the heat out. No direct sun rays at any time. It's fantastic during the day. Twilight and night very dangerous can only see 6 feet in front. It doesn't help that street lighting doesn't exist in most areas of Isaan.

I plan on leaving windows as they are and reducing the tint on the lower 2/3 of the windscreen to a safe level to drive night time. Probably 20-25%

Well, the 3M was just 15,000 (not the quoted 30,000 as many people say) :)

Well, the 3M was just 15,000 (not the quoted 30,000 as many people say) :)

Iirc there's 3MM in the parking lot of the mall in Korat. I'll go have a look this week. Cheers

I'm sorry but that's even more unsightly and you drilled holes in the A pillar through the molding to avoid putting a simple sticker in your windshield? The holder looks a fair bit over engineered for it's purpose. Thanks but I'd stick to the sticker method, No pun intended, doesn't anyone know about the plastic covers that are mostly held on by static and a small bit of moisture? No adhesive involved easily removed, adjusted, replaced or what have you?

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 2

I'm sorry but that's even more unsightly and you drilled holes in the A pillar through the molding to avoid putting a simple sticker in your windshield? The holder looks a fair bit over engineered for it's purpose. Thanks but I'd stick to the sticker method, No pun intended, doesn't anyone know about the plastic covers that are mostly held on by static and a small bit of moisture? No adhesive involved easily removed, adjusted, replaced or what have you?

I agree with you and just to avoid having the sticker affixed to the windscreen? Total overkill IMO.

• Like 2

I always hated the peeling off of corners of the sticker which became worse after each cleaning of the windscreen from inside. Now its easy to change the sticker, to clean the windscreen and it does not hinder any sight. The bolts are only in the PU-foam cover, not through any metal. It's what it is, my personal solution.

Fatfather

Ever hear of a razor blade? If I hadn't seen it myself, I would think you were just trollingfacepalm.gif ..

Screws up front window film, trust me. biggrin.png

There shouldn't be any film on the windscreen anyway, it impedes visibility especially at night. It's illegal in most countries. Don't understand some people's logic, trying to avoid the "unsightly" attachment of a tax sticker, yet cover the windscreen with film and create a dangerous safety issue. Go figure.

• Like 1

Ever hear of a razor blade? If I hadn't seen it myself, I would think you were just trollingfacepalm.gif ..

There shouldn't be any film on the windscreen anyway, it impedes visibility especially at night. It's illegal in most countries. Don't understand some people's logic, trying to avoid the "unsightly" attachment of a tax sticker, yet cover the windscreen with film and create a dangerous safety issue. Go figure.

My film is primarily a heat shield with very little light attenuation and hardly tell it is there at night. As for illegal, US law on this below: UK similar.

Most people think of tint as being dark which can reduce visibility, but advances in film technology has made it possible to have an almost clear film that reduces more heat than many of the darker films and improves day and night time visibility.

So can you tint your windshield legally?

The department of transportation "DOT" says that you can apply a protective coating as long as the total VLT doesn't go darker than 70%. As long as you use a film that has a VLT of 90% or higher then you will still be legal. According to DOT laws you can have window tint on your front windshield.

http://www.firstcoastglasscoatings.com/window-tint-windshield.html

I'm going to have to side up with Giddyup on that one.. Besides still easy enough to do you only have to lift the corner with the static cling plastic sheets, no adhesive to be had, can get them in Tesco and many other places I've seen them as well.

I use a four (4) point suction foot, tax sticker holder. It's been working fine for years. No ring marks on any areas of the tint. A suction foot lets go occasionally, but no problem, straight back on.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

So what is the definitive answer ? Tax sticker must be on windshield but not the insurance sticker (that most insurance do not give anymore).

1. Definitively the tax must be displayed.

2. A couple of self tappers into the a pillar is hilarious overkill.

3. Stickers can be far more complex than I ever thought.

• Like 1

^ Not to mention there are wires behind most A pillars, pretty good possibility to cut through one of them causing all range of potential issues that may happen over time through rubbing, besides permanently scaring the molding. No up side really..