The forum reality check

JAFO

OP, Excellent and congratulations.

You are the1232 person that writes the same observations on TVF.

Can't falter you as your style of writing is very appealing.

Let this not be your first and last thread.

We will be delighted to hear from you again.

But please try to think of a more original topic.

Cheers

Yeah I knew I was not the only one who had stated similar sentiments. One hopes that if enough people state it in one way or another it may have an affect to a posters response keeping in mind the audience. I like TV for what it is. There are some terrific posters and I enjoyed reading their inputs and views even if vastly different than my own.

Clearly some people get it and others just don't and they will scream at the top of the world pushing that you are wrong when in fact its likely the opposite.

Its all good.I will go back to my lurking status.

Cheers

It is this "difference" that makes us all unique. Sadly, some use TV as a platform to spread their negativity but, as you say, that is the nature of the beast. I also rarely post, only when I think I have some input.

On the upside, there are some great people on TV and you will get to know who they are. Internet forums are strange in as much as the written word can be taken many different ways, unlike a spoken conversation where we use tone of voice, stress etc, so some folks see things that are not there. Having said that, the keyboard warriors delight in being able to shoot others down anonymously. TV is like trying to have dialogue with several hundred people who you do not know.

My thoughts

• Like 2

good post op and basically pretty close to the truth. I know a lot of times my posts depend on how I am feeling at the time, I always try to be straight forward and open about the subject though. I am an aussie so I do tend to defend it but at the same time I also admit to its frailties, the US and UK have their own problems, people can only judge others on what they know and on their own principles. Thailand is a great country and it is my home but I will still be open about its faults the same way I am open about Australias, just because we live here does not mean we cannot have an opinion about it be it good, bad or otherwise. Those that only see the good side are deluding themselves just as those that only see the bad side do, the truth lies in the middle as it usually does for all countries.

The posts will always be based on the opinions of the poster, some are good, some are bad and some are just gibberish, if they have been ripped off they can be nasty, if they are having a good time the post follows suit, just accept that every has a differering opinion and that they will never agree 100% of the time. Also be thankful that a lot of us have a sense of humor, there are always a few posts that will make you laugh or if your not so quick wonder what the <deleted> we are talking about but then thats lifebiggrin.png

We're all different To each his own Different strokes for different folks Whatever floats your boat Make someone happy & you'll be happy too

The above is exactly 140 characters which is all you get to make your point on Twitter.

There are expats that married bar girls and expats that met really wonderful woman and everywhere in between.... There are expats that are only here to "Shag", 'Root" (as some say term it) Thai woman while others are here because they wanted to meet a Thai gal and start a new life.

Then there are expats who didn't come here for the women at all. Hell, there are even expats who actually are women.

They both exist, but are such a tiny percentage that they are mostly ignored. tongue.png

There are expats that married bar girls and expats that met really wonderful woman and everywhere in between.... There are expats that are only here to "Shag", 'Root" (as some say term it) Thai woman while others are here because they wanted to meet a Thai gal and start a new life.

Then there are expats who didn't come here for the women at all. Hell, there are even expats who actually are women.

They both exist, but are such a tiny percentage that they are mostly ignored. tongue.png

They make up the majority of the people I know here. Perhaps it depends which circles you move in.

A remarkable thing about this place is that it seems to house a lot of old people and they treat social platforms on the internet as something serious and impacting. This is a good thing in many ways, this forum is less trollish than others for sure.

I think TVF would be improved by having some sub forums based on customer type. Many peoples views are influenced by their education and wealth (i.e. class) and in the real world it's unlikely that a lawyer, for example would be exchanging notes with a truck driver - and vice versa. Equally some have very different experiences and opinions on the girls thing, and so many valid discussions end up in a big bun fight between people who will never see eye to eye. Not saying that a big general forum is not good too, it's interesting to have a diversity of opinion and characters, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to have discussions with people that are on the same wavelength.

I think TVF would be improved by having some sub forums based on customer type. Many peoples views are influenced by their education and wealth (i.e. class) and in the real world it's unlikely that a lawyer, for example would be exchanging notes with a truck driver - and vice versa. Equally some have very different experiences and opinions on the girls thing, and so many valid discussions end up in a big bun fight between people who will never see eye to eye. Not saying that a big general forum is not good too, it's interesting to have a diversity of opinion and characters, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to have discussions with people that are on the same wavelength.

If some people are on the same wavelenght, most probably there is not discussion at all.

If some people are on the same wavelenght, most probably there is not discussion at all.

Problem is nobody is on my wavelength.

However , it is good to have a feel of what others think/feel.

• Like 1

Cheers

exactly- choose the next time a better topic such as : gerbils,TGAUS,honey badgers or about gayness( happyness)... no offence Costas i like your posts...

BTW does the word really just consists of UK,US and Australia? may my teachers were wrong they tought me about many other places wich funny names like France,Spain,Greece,Brasil,SA and so on.

Cheers

Why does it have to be original?

And 2000 plus posts make you the number 1 TV critic? Very easy to criticizes, as a Greek you may never heard of the saying that goes something like this "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

I liked the post and from time to time it needs to be said.

As attributed to the late US Senator / former Harvard Professor Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts."

However, on here, it seems, someone will say "The truth of the matter is ..." and then offer their own opinion.

Problem is nobody is on my wavelength.

However , it is good to have a feel of what others think/feel.

Why, what's your wavelength ? Buddhist grand master or something?

I think it would be improved if some people were able to recognise that not everyone is on the same wavelength as them. Rather than, for example, coming out with sneering comments like 'I bet you came here for the temples' when confronted by somebody who wasn't lead here by their dick.

Cheers

Why does it have to be original?

And 2000 plus posts make you the number 1 TV critic? Very easy to criticizes, as a Greek you may never heard of the saying that goes something like this "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

I liked the post and from time to time it needs to be said.

No 3000 minus 22.

After you reach that you can criticize me, in the meantime back to your glass house to collect the stones.

Edited by Costas2008

good post op and basically pretty close to the truth. I know a lot of times my posts depend on how I am feeling at the time, I always try to be straight forward and open about the subject though. I am an aussie so I do tend to defend it but at the same time I also admit to its frailties, the US and UK have their own problems, people can only judge others on what they know and on their own principles. Thailand is a great country and it is my home but I will still be open about its faults the same way I am open about Australias, just because we live here does not mean we cannot have an opinion about it be it good, bad or otherwise. Those that only see the good side are deluding themselves just as those that only see the bad side do, the truth lies in the middle as it usually does for all countries.

The posts will always be based on the opinions of the poster, some are good, some are bad and some are just gibberish, if they have been ripped off they can be nasty, if they are having a good time the post follows suit, just accept that every has a differering opinion and that they will never agree 100% of the time. Also be thankful that a lot of us have a sense of humor, there are always a few posts that will make you laugh or if your not so quick wonder what the <deleted> we are talking about but then thats lifebiggrin.png

I agree. I am easy going guy and life is waaaaaaaay to short to let yourself get spun up around the axle about a flaming post from an anonymous poster. No value in it. Its a forum and some folks just post that way and its their style. If I do not care for their style I ignore them, its really quite simple. In fact there are some pretty fun folks here( actualy quite a few I would like to meet) and I can take a jab just like the majority. The forum would never work if we all agreed on the subject line I just struggle with the petty folks who seem to want to derail every thread they post in. I like to read peoples differing points of view as it gives me an idea of the cross section of folks that live here plus how others feel/felt about their homeland and moreover why they decided to exit it.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I have lived in Thailand for roughly 7-8 years but had been coming here for business 2-3 years prior. Unfortunately the last few have been back in the US a lot more than I would like but has afforded me the luxury of bringing my wife with me so she can see the various parts of the US as time allows. We will be returning home soon I hope.

Anyway my OP was not to cite a riot or throw digs at folks it was to make another unoriginal post with huge sweeping generalizations to further the general forum section along and give posters something to talk about. biggrin.png

• Like 1

"reality check"?

Don't you realise that several members exist as nothing but electronic avatars on this forum ?

I mean. come one, you don't seriously suppose that any sane human being would spend over 12 hours every day on this site do you?

• Like 1