Yingluck sees no interference in justice system; investigation goes ahead

webfact

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday that she believed there was no interference in the justice system in relation to the decision to not immediately prosecute her over her government's loss-making rice-pledging scheme.

Yingluck was referring to the Office of the Attorney-General's decision to not prosecute her due to insufficient evidence, even though the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has been pushing for her to be indicted for dereliction of duty as she failed to stop corruption and massive losses due to the scheme.

However, the attorney-general's office decided to set up a joint committee with the NACC to further investigate the case.

"I believe the justice system will ensure freedom and fairness for everyone and will work solely in line with the law and not be affected by anyone. I also believe that no 'special power' will intervene with the justice system's process," she said, before boarding a flight to Udon Thani to preside over the funeral of a former Pheu Thai MP.

Yingluck said her lawyer would represent her in court, adding that she was confident in her innocence. She also warned her supporters against creating sentiment that might end up misleading officials in the justice system.

She added that Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha was capable of running the country, and that he would go ahead with his roadmap, though it might take him longer to complete all the work.

Meanwhile some rice millers have refused to cooperate with the investigation, causing a delay in the checking of rice stocks, PM's Office Minister ML Panadda Diskul said.

Panadda, who also serves as permanent-secretary of the ministry, said some millers refused to arrange their sacks of rice in a way that can allow officials to easily count and check them.

He said officials needed to know how many sacks were being stored, because rice millers misled them by arranging sacks in tall piles but leaving the middle section empty.

"Their refusal to cooperate implies something,'' he said, adding that the September 15 deadline for completing all the tests needed in the investigation might have to be postponed.

Panadda, meanwhile, refused to identify the millers, saying he did not want to politicise the issue, as it would only widen national conflicts.

"We have struggled with conflicts on many issues and at many levels, and that is why our country has been stuck. We must do everything to ensure the country can move forward,'' he said.

NACC secretary-general Sansern Poljiak said the watchdog would meet today to appoint 10 members of the joint committee. He added that it would appoint people who are comparable in seniority with the officials appointed by the Office of the Attorney-General.

Democrat Party deputy spokesman Ramet Rattanachaweng said even if the attorney-general eventually decided not to prosecute Yingluck, then the NACC could take the case to court.

Meanwhile, former Democrat MP for Pitsanulok Dr Warong Dechgitvigrom hit back at Pheu Thai member Panas Thassaniyanont for accusing the NACC of having double standards, saying it has been speedy in the prosecution of Yingluck but has been stalling probe into the rice-subsidy programme run by the Democrat-led government.

He challenged Panas to name any corrupt Democrat politician linked to the scheme, questioning why Pheu Thai had not launched a no-confidence debate over the scheme while Abhisit Vejjajiva was in power.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yingluck-sees-no-interference-in-justice-system;-i-30242846.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-09

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday that she believed there was no interference in the justice system in relation to the decision to not immediately prosecute her over her government's loss-making rice-pledging scheme.

Certainly a luxury that was not afforded to those caught in the P.T.P. cross hairs in the not so distant past.

• Like 2

If some millers are refusing to co-operate with an official investigation isn't there a case for ' obstruction ' charges ?

Please don't tell me they will be summoned for interview then get extensions on excuses that Hans Christian Andsersson and the Brothers Grimm would be proud of.

These millers will eventually be given an inactive post, along with the storage warehouse owners. could be moved to take care and maintain concrete building blocks to ensure they are kept free of deterioration.

She added that Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha was capable of running the country, and that he would go ahead with his roadmap, though it might take him longer to complete all the work.

Coming from Yingluck, I am sure Prayuth is flattered by her seal of approval...

• Like 1

"I believe the justice system will ensure freedom and fairness for everyone and will work solely in line with the law and not be affected by anyone. I also believe that no 'special power' will intervene with the justice system's process," she said.

Why would her rhetoric refer to her brother intervening, and fixing the outcome results of her trial? (in not so many words......)

"I believe the justice system will ensure freedom and fairness for everyone and will work solely in line with the law and not be affected by anyone. I also believe that no 'special power' will intervene with the justice system's process," she said.

Why would her rhetoric refer to her brother intervening, and fixing the outcome results of her trial? (in not so many words......)

The NACC and OAG are playing pass the parcel with the case and when the music stops will she actually face a court ? TIT.

I am surehe has been up nights waiting for her approval, hehehehe

no interference in justice system
Yes what else she can hope for.

Until to date corrupt officials and politicians in thailand have nothing to fear.
The penalties, if it ever comes to a conviction, are a joke.
Free on bail, appeal, counter-claim, sentence reduction, transfer to an inactive post and then case closed.
Also they have no problem to send a condemn criminal on the run a new passport and 30 Billion Baht.

The power structure of this country is as complicated as can be. Since everything hinges on loyalties and relationships, some of them hidden, you open a 'can of worms' every time you open an investigation. Sometimes these relationships overlap in a way that freezes the process. I think that is why so many investigations just fade away... until someone dies, and then they can reopen the investigation. It gives me a little more sympathy for the police who have to tread lightly so as not to step on any important toes; even inadvertently. Those unnamed rice millers may be like a very good friend of mine who has connections that supersede Red and Yellow. In a country where 'face' is so important, it is not a good idea to make enemies of people who have strong allies. The public may seem to have short memories, but the powerful never forget.

Thailand; the more you know about it, the more you realize how little you really know.

Patronage...........this is how it works.

If some millers are refusing to co-operate with an official investigation isn't there a case for ' obstruction ' charges ?

Of course, but come on. This is an old, old story. Those up-country good-old boys have been hoodwinking and pulling it over the city slickers' eyes for decades. The very idea that the city boys can come along and figure out the games the rice millers are playing is ludicrous. They're 12 steps ahead of those city boys. The government, and that includes Yingluck, are only "in on it" in the sense that they enable those good-old boys to keep doing what they're doing. If you want to put the real charge against Yingluck that fits the case, it's scratching backs. Yingluck had no more idea what was REALLY going on that Prayuth has. And for the same reason.

These sophisticated army boys in their shoes and pressed pants, and these high-fallutin women in their Burberry boots and fancy-shmancy purses haven't got a chance of figuring out what's going on, let alone catch them at it.

You know, there's a reality series on US TV right now about moonshiners putting it over on the federales, just like they're been doing since the liquor tax came in. That's how confident those hill boys are about outfoxing the boys from Washington, they let it be filmed! These boys in Thailand are better than that! You charge Yingluck with rice-selling corruption, you should also charge Obama for moonshine corruption, because there's really no difference.

And for dead certainty, in 15 months or whenever people take this general's guns and toys away from him, those rice millers will be doing EXACTLY what they did last year and in the 1970s and in the 1950s every time the anti-corruption bigwigs drove their big cars up to the Nakhon Nowhere Rice Mill and Sons Inc Ltd, and demanded to know what was going on.

This implies that the millers in question have political affiliations. One does not need to be a rocket scientist to know which side of the political divide they belong to.

The September entry for the Charlie Brown Naivete and Gullibility Post Of The Year Contest. Do you also think that rice millers waited patiently for 200 years before starting to cheat on their stocks in 2001, after the Thaksin tooth fairly finally got in office like they were promised in the 18th century?

A rice miller with political affiliation is an ex-rice miller at the first government change. The LAST thing a "successful" rice miller does is join up publicly with a political faction. He can get along with anyone. And you know what — not only can he, he does.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

As always yingluck retains her quiet poise and dignity. She has never resorted to mudslinging or bad mouthing anyone. Even those who seek to destroy her.

Yingluck did this. Yingluck did that.

PROVE IT!!!!

People in glass houses never throw stones.

• Like 1

And Yingluck made these soul searching comments from where, Thailand ? I don't think so.

"she said, before boarding a flight to Udon Thani", from the OP.

But Ricardo, is Udon Thani still a part of Thailand ? whistling.gif

Good god, when I get my 0 visa what do I put, I am from Udon Thani Issan ???

The power structure of this country is as complicated as can be. Since everything hinges on loyalties and relationships, some of them hidden, you open a 'can of worms' every time you open an investigation. Sometimes these relationships overlap in a way that freezes the process. I think that is why so many investigations just fade away... until someone dies, and then they can reopen the investigation. It gives me a little more sympathy for the police who have to tread lightly so as not to step on any important toes; even inadvertently. Those unnamed rice millers may be like a very good friend of mine who has connections that supersede Red and Yellow. In a country where 'face' is so important, it is not a good idea to make enemies of people who have strong allies. The public may seem to have short memories, but the powerful never forget.

Thailand; the more you know about it, the more you realize how little you really know.

I'm not talking about patronage which is more specifically defined as clientelism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clientelism.

I am talking about the networks of 'peers/equals' who are linked because: they belong to the same political party, they went to the same police/army academy, their families have always been allies, they went to the same prep school/university, their companies have had business dealings, etcetera. This is called the 'Good old boy's network' in the US, the 'Old boy's network' in the UK, 'Blat' in Russia, and I don't know what it is called in Thailand. This is where back room deals, that exclude outsiders, happen. This is how microphones for the cabinet cost Bt. 145,000. This network, by its nature, is hidden from the public and, for the most part, it is hidden from competing networks. In Thailand, the culture demands that everyone must 'choose sides'; at least publicly. Many, though, will maintain ties with as many factions as possible to increase their clout. 'Secret' allies are everywhere and that is why it is difficult for prosecutors who couldn't possibly know who will be working behind the scenes to derail/sabotage their investigation/prosecution that, on the face of it, seemed straight forward/simple.

You can believe that Thaksin/Yingluck are pulling every string they have to keep her from being prosecuted and that they have allies who don't want to come out openly, but who will support that outcome in subtle/not so subtle ways. These 'battles' will never be reported in the newspapers. All this makes for 'Thainess' and inexplicable, in the eyes of outsiders, behavior on the part of officials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_boy_network

• Like 1

I'm afraid her suggestion of "might take him longer to complete all the work" might not go down too well with TVF members and other important people. wink.png

As always yingluck retains her quiet poise and dignity. She has never resorted to mudslinging or bad mouthing anyone. Even those who seek to destroy her.

PROVE IT!!!!

Mostly we just rely on what she says herself.

Like stating in parliament that she and only she is in charge which of course doesn't match too well with her stating to know nothing.

PROVE IT!!!!

Mostly we just rely on what she says herself.

Like stating in parliament that she and only she is in charge which of course doesn't match too well with her stating to know nothing.

Yingluck has told lie after lie, failed to due her duty despite her oath, put family first every time, tried to get amnesty for her brother - at any cost or consequences to the Thai people, failed to condemn those who murdered. attacked and assaulted any who opposed or spoke against her family and made "no show" her norm. Hardly innocent or little miss goody two shoes.

She keeps quiet because she doesn't know what to say unless big brother tells her. How anyone can mistake inability to understand and debate with quiet poise is mind boggling. Dignity - like lying to the farmers then going to ground. Very dignified.

But, don't worry, she'll be let off.

I'm not talking about patronage which is more specifically defined as clientelism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clientelism.

I am talking about the networks of 'peers/equals' who are linked because: they belong to the same political party {snip} {snip}

You have a post on what most people here call cronyism (or sometimes nepotism as in the case of the new big brother and his little brother, he of the huge promotions).

But please do not corrupt or redefine what we all in Thailand call the "basic problem" and patronage. It is NOT covered in that supercilious and silly Wikipedia entry. It is well understood by many, and if you care about Thailand and Thai politics and so on, you'll acquaint yourself.

The Thai patronage is a specific and well-known and often discussed system - although the discussions are often in code words or in low tones behind closed doors. It is NOT clientelism. It is not unique to Thailand either, although it's important here and has unique features. Don't cloud the waters over it.

Edited by wandasloan