Mass arrest of drug addicts in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no arrests and forced rehabilitation for people addicted to tobacco or alcohol?

There is a huge number of alcoholic police officers in Thailand

There is a huge number of alcoholics in Thailand period.

Should they all be sent to rehabilitation too to treat their drug problem? There needs to be consistency.

When will Thailand and the rest of the world consider ethanol as a recreational drug, which it is?

Addiction itself isn't a problem. Look at the nicotine smokers and caffeine drinkers, many of whom are addicted to those drugs. Most of them can get by without major problem. Becoming addicted was by their own free choice, and they must accept it and suffer whatever consequences that may follow from it; in the case of caffeine, there aren't many major consequences; in the case of nicotine or tobacco, there may be lung diseases, including cancer.

If those who were targeted were causing problems to society, then the detainment may be somewhat justified, however there has been no evidence that suggests that these people were causing problems to anyone, and therefore the detainment and forced rehabilitation may be unjustified and unnecessary.

• Like 1

As friend to people that secretly did drugs I welcome this. Not every addict is lost forever. Sometimes these people need a helping hand, a gesture to see that others care.

There is no single solution for all. Getting arrested and force to go to rehab might just be what some need to quit.

Edited by Alfahane

Rehab anything must be better than staying on the drugs and feeding their habit usually by criminal activities, get them cleaned up and back into a proper job in a new area and continue to test them occasionally to ensure they are staying clean.

"Authorities knocked at the doors of suspected targets houses and carried on-the-spot urine tests of people"

WOW. What a scary Junta. Demanding urine tests to see if these people are involved in drugs. Kinda gives me a warm inner glow knowing me and my family can live under this "democracy restoration team" in a safe environment without the fear of death.

What a refreshing change from 2003 when in the first three-month phase of the "war on drugs" crackdown that began in February, 2003, the Royal Thai Police reported that some 2,275 alleged drug criminals had been killed and of those it was discovered that over 50% of those "drug dealers" were innocent.

Time to give the respect to the Junta that they deserve me thinks. They have shown here without a shadow of a doubt they are superior to the undemocratic regime that killed without prejudice.

This is why reform is needed.

​May peace and reconciliation be with you all.

This is probably the worst abuse of power I have ever heard about in Thailand. On what authority did any official invade people's homes in this manner and then take them away? This is a really shocking development under this military regime.

The fact is:

Drug users in their home were arrested: IN THEIR HOMES

this is a big problem

I believe the report said the druggies were tested in their homes. Their homes weren't ransacked looking for drugs.

Still it's not right. You are there relaxing at home and the police come to your house, storm in and drug test you..? Police state much