Major bank closes its doors at 3:30 pm?

Just go to one of their branches in Shopping Malls they are usually open till late.

Next step. First step is to sign the mystery form in Thai, which because I refused to sign they said at HQ it would tie me to their office eternally, that if I didn't sign the form with no translation I could not do much at other branches.

IMHO you are always tied to a branch, you can do stuff at other branches (like withdrawal and so on) but closing your account for example you have to do at the branch where you signed up. When I wanted to change my fixed deposit account at SCB, the branch (where I was) told me I had to go to the Branch where I opened the account. TiT.

I will be moving up-country in the next couple of months and this means that I need to close (or leave it open with just a couple of 1000 Baht) account and open a new account at a branch of the same Bank in another province (with all the problems that come with that), but then again TiT.

Just go to one of their branches in Shopping Malls they are usually open till late.

Yeap, usually these branches or mini-branches in the malls are open from 10:30/11:00am to 7:00/7:30pm. Most are mini-branches which don't have the full range of services but some are full blown branches with full services.

Heck, with ibanking, ATMs, Cash Deposit Machines, Passbook Update Machines, phone banking, mobile banking, etc., the need to go to a brick-and-mortar branch becomes less everyday except for some special service, closing an account, opening an account, etc. But I will admit Thai banks still require a lot of paperwork signing, copy of passports, etc., for a lot things which pretty forces visits to a branch.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Next step. First step is to sign the mystery form in Thai, which because I refused to sign they said at HQ it would tie me to their office eternally, that if I didn't sign the form with no translation I could not do much at other branches.

So, I can only assume from your expressed indignation about the FORM being printed ONLY in Thai, that in YOUR Country, similar FORMS at Banks are printed in not only, your NATIVE language but also in THAI, CHINESE, VIETNAMESE....need I continue?

I never cease to be amazed at the audacity of some FOREIGNERS who come here and make absurd demands.

Many years ago at the Amari Blvd., Hotel in BKK, I held the door to an Elevator open for an older couple. They thanked me and when I replied that they were welcome, the woman told me "how nice it is to meet someone in Thailand who speaks English." I then pointed out to her that in her country, THAIS might have great difficulty in finding ANYONE who speaks Thai.The poor old dear looked astounded, I then held the door open for her to vacate the elevator on the ground floor....neither she nor her husband had the courtesy to offer any thanks.

So, I can only assume from your expressed indignation about the FORM being printed ONLY in Thai, that in YOUR Country, similar FORMS at Banks are printed in not only, your NATIVE language but also in THAI, CHINESE, VIETNAMESE....need I continue?

I never cease to be amazed at the audacity of some FOREIGNERS who come here and make absurd demands.

Many years ago at the Amari Blvd., Hotel in BKK, I held the door to an Elevator open for an older couple. They thanked me and when I replied that they were welcome, the woman told me "how nice it is to meet someone in Thailand who speaks English." I then pointed out to her that in her country, THAIS might have great difficulty in finding ANYONE who speaks Thai.The poor old dear looked astounded, I then held the door open for her to vacate the elevator on the ground floor....neither she nor her husband had the courtesy to offer any thanks.

Point taken. Regarding foreign languages- actually yes, bank forms in Canada are available translated into Persian, Chinese, Korean etc. The banks want the new immigrant customers. In fact (this kind of pisses me off) immigrants are given no credit check credit cards and all kinds of perks that people born in Canada don't get.

"They thanked me...".

"...neither she nor her husband had the courtesy to offer any thanks."

Make up your mind, which one was it?

Why complain then? You've only yourself to blame if you refused to sign a form that allowed you to access services elsewhere.

You're not in Kansas now Dorothy. You re in Thailand. Not some sort of fairy story where your wishes come true and everything happens as you want it where you want it and when you want it.

(Not to say some areas of life in Thailand aren t like that tho ;) )

A bit of perspective: 99% of people in Thailand using Thai banks are Thai and would simply sign the form. Most of the less than 1% foreigners would sign the form. They d then have no issue and could use the branches in malls etc.

So recognising you re in a segment representing less than 1% of the customer base.... and recognising you didnt do want 99.99% of the customer base would do... Do you really expect Bangkok Bank to keep all it s 1000 branches open longer in case people like yourself who cant read Thai want to use them?

You ve 2 threads running with your "experiences". Take a step back and reread them.

Sounds more like Kansas 1939, you re hoping for Dorothy, than 1972 :lol:

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile