Possibility of work in Chiang Mai?

ShaunEdwards9

Hi Guys,

I have saved up a while to come and experience what living is like in Chiang Mai and i was wondering what the chances of getting a job? is it difficult? easy?

I know most will say it depends on the line of work and i understand that theres jobs only Thais can do......

But for an English speaking people is there a demand for office workers for example?

any input will be appriciated!

Cheers,

Shaun

Edited by ShaunEdwards9

Do a search in ThaiVisa for "prohibited occupations". The TV page regarding this is the one to look at. It came up 2d in the list when I did the search.

This is a page to look at http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html

If you are not sure what occupation you will do yet, then this will eliminate a lot of possibilities so you don't waste time looking at those occupations.

The referenced Thai Act is availabe in English on the internet.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Do a search in ThaiVisa for "prohibited occupations". The TV page regarding this is the one to look at. It came up 2d in the list when I did the search.

If you are not sure what occupation you will do yet, then this will eliminate a lot of possibilities so you don't waste time looking at those occupations.

Cheers HML367 for the advice

Do you happen to know how available jobs are in CM at all? Basically I am from a government office background in England but I would be happy with any office job or suchlike in CM.

Cheers

Cheers HML367 for the advice

Do you happen to know how available jobs are in CM at all? Basically I am from a government office background in England but I would be happy with any office job or suchlike in CM.

Cheers

I do not know of any jobs myself. I do see "Office or secretarial work;" in the prohibited list.

Tywais has posted a link in the pinned topics for Chiang Mai related classified ads. You could search in there. I think jobs for foreigners from Western countries are not that easy to find in Chiang Mai, other than English teachers.

• Like 1

I have never met anyone to get an office job in Thailand. I met guys who were English teachers and complained of low money and missing pay, foreigners who cleaned dishes in a restaurant and had hours cut from 10 to 5 per week, etc.... Possibly in BKK there are jobs; however, I'm guessing these are expats who worked for the company overseas before coming to Thailand. I did also meet a few guys who worked on oil rigs off the coast of Thailand, just remembered. There is likely a good supply of workers, so no reason to make wages high. Cleaning dishes all day for $3 per hour (likely illegal work without work visa) cannot be the best option. anyhow, good luck.

Edited by puukao
  • Like 1

Another possibility would be to work in a call center, if you could do this kind of job. I know a german company looking for native german speakers. Maybe there is another company around, searching for native english speakers...

• Like 2

Another possibility would be to work in a call center, if you could do this kind of job. I know a german company looking for native german speakers. Maybe there is another company around, searching for native english speakers...

Is that a polite reference to "Boiler Rooms"? Dozens of recent deportations for thatwink.png

• Like 1

Is that a polite reference to "Boiler Rooms"? Dozens of recent deportations for thatwink.png

It not seems to be "Boiler Rooms". They call it Customer Care Representative, should be okay but who knowsxwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

In order to work in Thailand you will need a work permit, and the company who employ you must pay you a salary of at least 40,000 baht/month (not to sure about correct figure) and to have 2 or 3 local employee to 1 foreign worker in order to be able to apply this work permit for you......without mention all the cost and trouble to apply it.

So considering the average office worker salary in Chiangmai not more than 20,000, can you imagine if you're the business owner in Chiangmai will you employ a foreign office worker for 40,000 + hassle + can't speak or write Thai? unless there's something or skill that you may have and they need it.thumbsup.gif

Maybe better chance in Bangkok........I doubt for just office worker coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Obviously, you have done no personal research or you wouldnt ask such questions.

Do your research, think outside the box (yeah that one as well)... and perhaps you can swing something that will earn you enough for shelter and rice....

Thailand has been the hardest place to survive in my 8 years of working here.... Wages are garbage and when you have a family, that salary just doesnt go far enough...

It is almost impossible to find a job as a westerner in Thailand, especially if you do not speak and read/write Thai or have Thai citizenship.

That is partly why there are so many 'English teachers' - it is one of the few occupations where Westerns are actually sought out and desired. The byzantine work permit and visa process is another matter.

If you can find something outside of this, this wages would be abysmal and/or it would be illegal anyway. Even if you can find a job teaching, it will still be illegal unless you have specific qualifications and the school cooperates in processing your documents before you start work.

I've heard of people working in other things, excepting overseas transfers. I usually think that they are full of it.

Edited by BudRight

Without any specific knowledge or talents it will not be easy.

Unless you want to trade handycrafts, Chiang Mai isn't exactly the business center of Thailand either.

Try to be sent here by a company from your home country to do business for them, whatever that may be. And make sure you get paid for your work by them.

Thailand is all geared up to help you spend money, making money is a whole different game and it's not easy!

Also don't think Thailand is cheap, it's not (anymore), your savings will be running out faster than you can imagine now.

Good luck!

Shaun,

Rather than start with trawling through a bunch of negative lists (all true), strongly suggest you face the facts.

Unless you have been given a job in say, teaching BEFORE you come here, forget it. If you cannot afford to support yourself for the period you intend to stay, shorten your visit. No point in dreaming of something that has very little to no chance of happening, especially so in government clerical work for a non-Thai person.

And especially, don't think you can work "under the counter" after you arrive, that will only lead to some very nasty life-changing experiences,

Realistically, his only options are tutoring English on the QT, or working a boiler room.

Incidentally, where did you get the information that there have been "Dozens of recent deportations for that"? Is it a reliable source, or is it just wishful thinking on your part?

If I was you I would go for something like setting up a business in import-export online if you want to live in CM. If you want an office job, Bangkok would be a much better bet and much less painfully boring than CM. But above all I would go for English language teaching and get yourself up to speed and qualified before you get here.

Assuming this is not a troll post and that you are simply naive, you have a lot to learn not just about Thailand but about labour law in countries other than your own. Perhaps the UK being part of the EU, and the free movement of labour within the Union that entails, leads you to imagine that you are entitled to work anywhere in the world. This is emphatically not the case in Asia. As others have pointed out, it is possible to find work as a teacher, both legally and illegally, but without resources, a good business plan and some luck, that's about it, unless you are sent by a foreign-based company on an expat package, the holy grail of emoluments.

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 1

Thailand is a great place to retire (if you have a pension) and a great holiday area but not for working earning a living. If you have any type of degree and take a TEFL = Teaching English as a Foreign Language course you could get a job as teacher and with a degree and TEFL could make a fair salary, if only TEFL course could teach at small school for say 30--35,000 baht a month. Not a whole lot to live onbut could help you stya longer if you have money saved up. You will also need to know what kind of visa are you coming over on ? How long do you want to stay?

You cannot just come over and stay indefienately. You seriously neeed to do your homework before coming over here.

I suspect you have not even looked into getting a visa let alone finding a job.

I suspect you are a Troll. If not then I recommend strongly you find something closer to home.

And those who say you can teach English-------- sorry but that's the laugh of the day.Anyone who wants to come here----- even if they are only an office worker----Ok mate teach English!!!!!! SURE------- just join the queue.After all it is getting shorter as people like you are rushing back to good old HOME sadly disillusioned .

• Like 1

Look right, I have been to Thailand on numerous occasions and loved it every time. I am taking a year out of work to experience living there for a year... Longer if the opportunity arises if I like it!

I have done research and have never claimed to be an expert at anything, nor have I read everything about a single subject.

I am new to these forums to learn more and ask questions, all you read on the net isn't gospel and learning from those 'ITK' and with experience appeals to me.

However, the amount of negative and unhelpful people on here is embarrassing... Like the above comment and many others.

I just wang to learn a thing or two, that's why I joined the forum. Don't bother commenting if it's just to have a go.

I will live in Thailand, I won't be perfect, I will learn by my mistakes, but I aim to be prepared and enjoy it the best I can.

To those that have gave me valuable information and help.... Much appreciated.

If hanging out on Thaivisa then just learn to ignore the naysayers and find out what goes when you arrive from expats and locals. A year is plenty of time if you already have experience of the country and if you utilize that time to search information.

There are many ways to all from survive to thrive here. Both legally and illegally. As stated by some one might need to be a bit creative.

And yea, I wouldn't recommend taking a job that is for Thais only. That being said, try go to a backpacker destination like Pai or Koh Phangan. For the past 5-6 years I have seen the same westerners sitting selling the same stuff on the street. All from leather handicraft to making street food. Sure it's not legal, and sure it's not recommended, but those who don't live in a box knows that corruption is nowhere going to end here in a soon future. If lucky they may sort it out on a higher level (which I believe to be wishful thinking since every institution is more or less corrupt, including the green guys I wont mention by title...)

The best way to stay long term is to invest and not tie yourself to a company. If I remember correctly you need to invest 1 million though, if you have a Thai wife. If not I think it's more (if you're married you only need to hire 2 Thais as well, which could be your wife and her mother etc.)

Teaching English is a way to get by, but unless you are really qualified the salary ain't that good and if you want to be a good teacher there will be lots of more work than just the hours you're in school. i.e. preparing classes, keeping track of students and who is on which level etc. It can be rewarding in other ways though, that would be the children. many schools are likely to play ping pong with you regarding WP until you one day realize they have no intention of actually giving you one (or until they feel secure that you will stay for a long time and actually do what they should do). That does mean you would start your work illegally. This is not uncommon, no matter what the naysayers here states... It is not the safest way to go, there is always a risk when dodging the law. But it's not the worst crime you could commit. There is much more enforcement on people who "steal jobs from Thais", then on those who do jobs that they want westerners for, especially NES.

I'm studying here, I get loan + allowance from Sweden that's about 45.000 baht/month. I live very well on that in Bkk. But then again it's all up to your personality. Some can spend 10,000 in a night (including me on stupid occasions), while others live their day-to.day life during the working days on approx 100 bt/day (which I do as well, until I get bored).

yes, prices goes up. But I still eat for 35 to 40 baht/meal on an usual day. My rent is 3600, with electricity and water usually 4200. Of which I way 3000 and the girl the rest.

But of course you will want to go of the daily routine from time to time, like you probably would back home as well, and there are days I eat for about 800 baht or more. But usually I never spend more than 500/day. And I can't say I live a poor pitiful life where I just have enough for bills. Far from it...

I'm still to get all the marriage papers sorted out. As soon as that's done more possibilities rises since many prices are cut in half, and you are allowed to work on a non-imm based on marriage if I remember correct (you still need a WP though).

This country can be hard to survive in if you think all will be served on a silver plate. But I wouldn't say it's that hard if you're just a bit creative and asks the local police department what goes and what doesn't. Try to stay legal.

However, just like Medicinal Marijuana is legal in many states in US it's still a schedule one substance according to federal law (unless that has changed recently?), I would say Thailand is kind of the same regarding many things. The real law, the state law, is the true law and can always be enforced. But then there are local laws in each province (or even each amper in some cases), best way to find out is to befriend locals and expats on the spot and not just listen to people here. Thaivisa is great for many things, and although the bitter attitude by many they still state correct facts. However, many seem trapped in negativity.

One thing you could do if you have loads of free time and money to invest (and gamble) is to learn everything about the stock market. I've met some quite successful guys here doing just that. Some state it's illegal, while some cops I have asked states it's "no problem". All is relative, it all boils down to your moral and paranoia. I would suggest spending at least a year just pretending you buy and sell stocks and doing a graph over it while learning more from podcasts and similar during the time to see if your planing seems to be safe (it is never safe, but compared to gambling on lotteries or similar one can be quite good at it and know when to stop and so on...)

I know people working as staff for guesthouses, legal or not they are there and have been there for years and years. Just saying. Same goes for guys in restaurants at tourist destinations. Bangkok is not a very good spot for those activities, Chiang Mai I don't know. Again, I do NOT recommend you to break the law. Especially not now with all the "crackdowns".

(although many of the crackdowns seems to not change much. If you read the new rules regarding commercial for alcohol and no drinking after 12:00, even if you bought it before, then you will find many saying that this is a way to get rid of tourists. Ok.. Fine.. But if that was really the case then I can't see why the only ones enforcing these laws are Thai clubs like Bpor gung Pao - songs for life bar etc. While Khaosan Road and Sukhumvit runs strong way past midnight every-night, everyday - except for rare occasions when the military comes to shut places down. But the next day it will be going again. You can even find commercial for bands that start playing 11 pm to 2 am in some cases on internet. But again, mostly in the tourist hub area.

As some Thai guy working at Khaosan said to me, "the local police tend to view Khaosan as an airport with people arriving and departing at any hours. And they have no interest in closing down things and giving a bad first impression on tourists, and besides, they make good profit from the bars that have open longer than they should...")

If I was you I would go to Chiang Mai and check it out for myself and listen to those who give good tips here. The people who just tell you to stay back home without knowing your background at all, well, just ignore them, since you don't know their background as well...

Cheers and good luck!

• Like 2