Do you buy new or second hand car here in LOS?

dagling

Business Truck always Brand New, as it does high KM... [change at 400,000 KM so around 4 years]

Private car. well did buy a Honda Jazz top model new when they came here, but very small.. present car bought in 2008 @ 10 years old.... question is who has the money to buy a car @ 4-5 million when a few years old is 300,000 baht... so for me as little use the car will be 2nd hand when and if I change it.

Many Thais that privately own cars keep them for 10 years, so not hard to find a good one owner, low KM Luxury car here..... all depends what you are using if for and and how many km you are driving.. 2nd or 3 car etc..

12 years ago I bought a '72 corolla for 50k, with the book, the car has never, never broken down (touch wood) cars in Thailand seem to go forever, even though there isn't maintenance plan here the cars just go on and on until the back wheel bearings die! We've all seen pick ups and trucks on the highway! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

I have always bought new since (1993) rather then used. I like the reliability of a new vehicle and have always purchased Honda's for both myself and wife.

20 years ago? So you know sod-all about any other make of car or the current secondhand market?

Edited by wilcopops

12 years ago I bought a '72 corolla for 50k, with the book, the car has never, never broken down (touch wood) cars in Thailand seem to go forever, even though there isn't maintenance plan here the cars just go on and on until the back wheel bearings die! We've all seen pick ups and trucks on the highway! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

Bearings go on pickups largely due to overloading......one of the most common sights you will see is a pickup with the rear suspension heavily fortified to cary huge cargoes of coconuts, pineapples etc......the only problem being that they fail to upgrade the wheel bearings.....so they fall off.

Edited by wilcopops

I prefer to buy new (but firs couple of cars were secondhand but purchased cheap and sold for profit). 1st new vehicle here is a Ford Ranger 2012 bought for Bt.700,000 currently for sale @ Bt.400,000..... Worst vehicle I have ever owned, the second being a 2014 Mazda 3 bought for Bt1100,000. Great vehicle so far.

Reason for buying new instead of more secondhand cars is I can't save money for shit, I have a set amount I keep in Thailand every month with the balance heading off shore... So for me it is easier to front the 20% deposit than the full amount in cash.

Ford Ranger 2012 bought for Bt.700,000 currently for sale @ Bt.400,000..... Worst vehicle I have ever owned

Why? I bought one last Christmas and well pleased with it

I have always bought new since (1993) rather then used. I like the reliability of a new vehicle and have always purchased Honda's for both myself and wife.

20 years ago? So you know sod-all about any other make of car or the current secondhand market?

The OP asked "Do you buy new or second hand car here in LOS?" And my answer to his question was that I bought new. What is it you don't understand about the question? What does this have to do with my knowledge of the second hand market? Go back and re-read the OP and try to figure it out. Good luck.

Edited by Spaniel
  • Like 1

The OP asked "Do you buy new or second hand car here in LOS?" And my answer to his question was that I bought new. What is it you don't understand about the question? What does this have to do with my knowledge of the second hand market? Go back and re-read the OP and try to figure it out. Good luck.

you r post is 20 years out of date and you appear to know nothing about the current car market, so it's hard to see what you hope to contribute.

you r post is 20 years out of date and you appear to know nothing about the current car market, so it's hard to see what you hope to contribute.

Sorry Wilcopops, I read the post as Spaniel has been here since 1993 and has only ever purchased new vehicles from Honda since arrival.

I don't understand why you are chastising the person for market ignorance ?

• Like 1

Is it not more what people want to drive v money ?

Thai guy in the Village had for many years a Land Rover Discovery, early last year he bought a new Mitz Sports, hatted it.... 1 year later he exchanged it, and for the past 5 months loves his 2004 4.4 HSE Range Rover.. [New v 10 years old = difference in price around 6 million baht] only talking to him yesterday

Another Thai guy has a 1988 300D W123 Benz, he thought it was on its last legs, and in 2006 bought a New Toyota Fortuner, he hates it, and the old Benz is still going + he works in BKK so around 115 KM per day is added + still going strong [clattering old diesel].... The Fortuner now has less then 11,000 KM in 8 years..

So it is about what people like

To summarize, he's had some really bad luck with his and Ford has not been helpful.

Ahh I understand now. I'm happy with my ranger. With ford service not so much as yesterday went in for my first service 15000 km which was promised to be free when we purchased car. 'Free' meant 3000฿ - apparently we had free coupons which were deducted off about another 3000. They changed the oil and aircon filter. They 'couldn't' check wheel alignment and brakes as I upgraded my wheels from cockpit.

I prefer to buy new (but firs couple of cars were secondhand but purchased cheap and sold for profit). 1st new vehicle here is a Ford Ranger 2012 bought for Bt.700,000 currently for sale @ Bt.400,000..... Worst vehicle I have ever owned, the second being a 2014 Mazda 3 bought for Bt1100,000. Great vehicle so far.

Reason for buying new instead of more secondhand cars is I can't save money for shit, I have a set amount I keep in Thailand every month with the balance heading off shore... So for me it is easier to front the 20% deposit than the full amount in cash.

Surely missing a '0' or 2 on that Mazda price though correct? wink.png

The price was one million one hundred thousand baht. should have put a comma in between the 1's.

"Rule 3a. With figures of four or more digits, use commas. Count three spaces to the left to place the first comma. Continue placing commas after every three digits. Important: do not include decimal points when doing the counting.

Examples:

1,054 people

$2,417,592.21"

Yes a coma, it's late, I'm tired, been up too late lately, going to bed..

See, "coma" was the apt description when this was posted. whistling.gif Pun NOT intended facepalm.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I bought a 20 something year old Nissan FF for 49,000 from a small dealer. No rust , pretty good condition, new tyres when bought etc. Drove it for two years all over Thailand no problems except new battery and had to weld a hole in the radiator. A very simple car like a land rover. Boxy and ugly and no face to be gained in Thailand....just sniggers behind your back. But as a machine to take you from A to B at a steady 90 kph .......hard to beat.

Sold it for 45,000 although later had better offers. Cheap motoring doesnt come any bettersmile.png