Fatigued elephant collapses on street in Thailand (Video)

webfact

Fatigued elephant collapses on street (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

elephant-co.jpg?itok=X-z5RBnX

BANGKOK: -- A small elephant collapsed in the street at Krathumban Market west of Bangkok after the owner reportedly forced it to walk through the market as he collected money for people to feed it.

The video of the stricken elephant, captioned “Tired elephant forced to walk,” was uploaded to Facebook last night and upset many unhappy with how the elephant was treated.

“It could not stand anymore,” the user who took the video said. “When the mahout saw me take photos, he forced it to get up and leave, so I took a video.”

Meanwhile, others have condemned the shop owner at the market who ordered the mahout to move the elephant instead of helping it.

"Dear elephant owner, please take your elephant out of the market,” someone announces in the video. “You're blocking the shop front." [read more...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjqGOYr9gk&list=UU5wKpLWxAZBZrunls3mzwEw

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/10/fatigued-elephant-collapses-street-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-10

• Like 1

I was sure they had a ban on this type of thing regarding elephants being paraded around the streets too.

This is a shameful way to treat such a beautiful creature. The elephant should be in a nature reserve or something, doing what elephants do, bot being paraded in public.

The previous government banned it and made it illegal, things have since changed.
  • Like 1

I was sure they had a ban on this type of thing regarding elephants being paraded around the streets too.

This is a shameful way to treat such a beautiful creature. The elephant should be in a nature reserve or something, doing what elephants do, bot being paraded in public.

The previous government banned it and made it illegal, things have since changed.

Many things have changed but i'm not sure the unbanning and re-legalisation of bringing elephants into cities has?

This is a very sad incident that suggests that underlying poverty as the root cause of this animal abuse, as opposed to a political one.

Maybe the current government should consider raising the minimum wage to help reduce poverty.

Many things have changed but i'm not sure the unbanning and re-legalisation of bringing elephants into cities has?

This is a very sad incident that suggests that underlying poverty as the root cause of this animal abuse, as opposed to a political one.

Yes, you're right, of course.

A poverty of kindness and decency and empathy for living creatures.

• Like 2

This is disgusting! The mahout should be arrested for violating the law about bringing elephants into the city (yes, it was passed as law under the last government), as well as cruelty to animals. Thrown in jail and have the elephant put in a nature reserve for protection.

Like so many before it coffee1.gif

As an aside. Many years ago a tourist of an unnameable nationality (before the Russian invasion, so let's not go there) had been taunting an elephant calf brought into a bar on Phuket. The young elephant sat on him and killed him. Excellent! clap2.gif

Video of Collapsed Beggar Elephants Spurs Investigation
By Khaosod English

14103442191410344269l.jpg
Screenshot from a video of baby elephant collapsing out of exhaustion in a market in Samut Sakhon, 10 Sept 2014.

SAMUT SAKHON — A video of a baby elephant collapsing out of exhaustion in a market has spurred police to search for the elephant handlers who reportedly brought the animal into the city to beg.

The video has been widely shared on social media and ignited a wave of criticism over the practice of bringing elephants into urban areas to beg for money from tourists. Animal rights activists have been decrying the practice for years, calling it inhumane and harmful to the elephants.

The video appears to have been filmed at a market near Krathumban intersection in Samut Sakhon province, police say.

"I have ordered officers to locate the elephant and owners in connection with the video," said Pol.Col. Palat Visetsingha. "But we have not found them yet. I believe the owners or the elephant handlers took the elephant away from the area after the clip was publicized."

Nevertheless, Pol.Col. Palat said police will increase patrols in the province to make sure that no elephant handlers, or mahouts, bring their elephants into town to beg. He urged the public report any incidents of elephant begging to police immediately.

Mahouts who take their elephants into the city can face charges related to the obstruction of traffic, annoying bystanders, and animal cruelty. The latter carries a maximum of one month in prison and 1,000 baht fine, said Pol.Col. Palat.

"Those who possess unregistered elephants will also face additional charges, but mahouts in the trade of elephant begging generally have their elephants registered," the officer added.

Thailand is a hub for animal tourism, with abundant opportunities for tourists to interact with animals like tigers, elephants, and gibbons. Yet according to animal welfare groups, many of these captive animals are physically mistreated and some of them have been poached from the wild.

Some tourism-related associations, such as the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), advise travelers to Thailand to exercise good judgment before participating in activities that might distress an animal.

There are currently no comprehensive laws protecting animal welfare in Thailand, although a proposed bill is receiving “fast-track” consideration from the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), said Edwin Wiek, the founder of the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT).

Last month, a viral video of mahouts beating a beggar elephant in Hat Yai prompted police in the area to crack down on the trade.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410344219

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-09-10

• Like 1

Although I am not a violent person, anyone who hurts an elephant deservers to be hated. It is a Thai tradition to protect the elephants.

You haven't been to the 'elephant training camp' north of Chiang Mai and seen mahouts belting their charges on the feet with those bloody hooks?

I almost throttled one some years ago for just that.