When Looking For An Apartment

gadg

Hi ...

Moving to Bangkok soon, the time has come to start preparing the search for an apartment. After reading this Stickman reader submission I decided it would be better if I know what to be looking for so I'm not fooled into what might turn out to be a bad deal for me. So I hope you can help me with some answers to the questions I have ...

(by the way, I plan to look for a studio apartment. Basically, an oversized hotelroom as I don't believe I need a whole lot more. Airconditioned, furnished, my own bathroom with a shower (I never take a bath, it cost me an arm and a leg to buy one for my Amsterdam condo and I used it 3 times in 2 years), building security and washing facilities for my clothes are a must. A pool, gym and other things are a plus ofcourse. I would like to have a place near a BTS or MTR station (as we all do) and have a certain budget in mind which is probably at the lower end of the market - no more than 10k including water and electricity.

1. I've been told most apartment buildings charge per unit fees for water and electricity. What are reasonable per unit charges, because I've found a wide range on the websites I consulted.
  2. What is a reasonable fee to have my own direct phoneline (outside the building switchboard) installed? Is it reasonable the landlord charges me a monthly fee for this too, if so, what would be reasonable? I've been told this is the best way to get DSL into my own place.
  3. I plan to use Bangkok as my base of operation for 6-12 months. So I'm trying to decide if I will sign up on a month by month basis, or to sign up for at least 6 months. I understand the latter might give me a better price per month. Are there any tips you can give me in making this decision? And how much difference would it make anyway?
  4. Is it reasonable to demand an english language contract for a small apartment?
  5. I've seen several sites offering the rental of tv, fridge, etc. What are reasonable fees for this?
  6. What would be a reasonable fee to have my place cleaned twice a week? Or would it be a better idea to hire someone myself?
  7. Is it reasonable to demand airconditioner filters to be replaced before I move in? What about mattress?

And finally, how would one go about trying to find an apartment? Just call all agencies from this forum post and make them take me around to places that meet my requirements? Would it be a good idea to bring a Thai friend (my friends' wife, I'd probably only take her to go see a shortlist as I don't want to make her come with me for an entire week) or better to bring her in when entering negotiations?

Thanks for your help!

regards,

Rob

First of all - you won't find that sort of "consumer-protection", you're used to from Holland. Hopefully, for you, you're not that sissy your post suggests?

You can't expect anything from your landlord than renting things as is. You can't expect the landlord to fix a broken pipe or whatever. If you want new filters in the aircon, the landlord might give you the phonenumber to a friend, who'll make it cheap at your cost. If you want contract in English - you pay for the translation - and the landlord might sign. However, only the Thai original will have any legal meaning.

First of all - you won't find that sort of "consumer-protection", you're used to from Holland. Hopefully, for you, you're not that sissy your post suggests?

You can't expect anything from your landlord than renting things as is. You can't expect the landlord to fix a broken pipe or whatever. If you want new filters in the aircon, the landlord might give you the phonenumber to a friend, who'll make it cheap at your cost. If you want contract in English - you pay for the translation - and the landlord might sign. However, only the Thai original will have any legal meaning.

The quoted Stickman article was the source of those questions. I didn't know, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know where Rishi is talking about ... but the 2 places I lived at in BKK over the last 2+ years both had folks on site to take care of problems etc.

your first expenses my run a bit high ... the only reason you might need a phoneline seperate really would be internet and many decent buildings have internet LAN or Wifi connections set up

a TV and a microwave and a fridge will probably be in order ...

apartments don't often have any kitchen facities at all ... condos do ... but very modest ...

don't let the putz's get you down ... hope you like it here

I don't know where Rishi is talking about ... but the 2 places I lived at in BKK over the last 2+ years both had folks on site to take care of problems etc.

Totally agree, Rishi must have got some bad landlords. Usually the landlord/lady will take care of any problems on site whilst you are renting.

I've never had a problem getting deposits back either, whilst some people seem to just assume the deposit gets kept at the end of the contract because they are farang. :o

your first expenses my run a bit high ... the only reason you might need a phoneline seperate really would be internet and many decent buildings have internet LAN or Wifi connections set up

That would be the reason for me, indeed. I wasn't aware of this being a common thing. Are they also common for buildings with places for my budget (10k, sort of) ... and what would be a typical charge?

I will. Thanks ;-)

That would be the reason for me, indeed. I wasn't aware of this being a common thing. Are they also common for buildings with places for my budget (10k, sort of) ... and what would be a typical charge?

I will. Thanks ;-)

Ok, I may be wrong here since its been a while since I sorted it out, but I think its about 2 k to put a direct phoneline in. Though I think they chop and change this price with special offers so you may be able to get a good bargain. Whatever, its not expensive and a one off expense. On top of that for internet I pay 900 baht a month for a True connection, 1 mb speed, 24/7 access which has always been fine for me.

Perhaps we should just swap homes, I could do with a year in Amsterdam. :o

hmmm S house apartments on Suk 81 ... 400 meters from Onnut BTS ... has rooms starting about 6k and up ... 6 month leases min.

elec depends on how much you run the AC ... 3 washing machines downstairs ... internet 600/mo it'll be more than that on your own line) (shared 2MB I think ... lightening fst for Thailand .. 5 cable channels free ... I got UBC instead)

Maid was 200 baht (2 people ... about an hour)

Perhaps we should just swap homes, I could do with a year in Amsterdam. :o

Haha ... I live with my ex-girlfriend at the moment, don't have my own place anymore. She's Korean. I could run it by her? :D

(thanks for the quick response)

Edited by gadg

I plan to use Bangkok as my base of operation for 6-12 months. So I'm trying to decide if I will sign up on a month by month basis, or to sign up for at least 6 months. I understand the latter might give me a better price per month. Are there any tips you can give me in making this decision? And how much difference would it make anyway?

The longer the contract, the better a discount you can get though it may not be much cheaper. Month by month will probably be harder to get, with most landlords expecting you to sign at least a 6 month contract.

If you find a room that you like and they want a 12 month contract signed explain your situation that you would prefer to take it for 6 months so you have some flexibilty but more than likely you will end up taking it for 12 and you can get a good result.

Time flies fast when you are here sometimes, though 12 months can seem like a long time for a contract it'll soon pass by.

I find with all contracts I had, you sign up for the first 6/12 months on paper and after thats run out you just stay there on verbal agreement.

# Is it reasonable to demand an english language contract for a small apartment?

You might be better finding someone to translate it for you. Really most contracts are standard, no ones out to get you so I wouldn't worry a great deal about the contract. Just have someone you trust give it a look over for you to make sure its a standard contract with no major oddities in it. You could ask for it translated but you might end up having to get it done yourself.

# I've seen several sites offering the rental of tv, fridge, etc. What are reasonable fees for this?

I've done this before, I think costs were around 500 baht for tv, 500 baht for fridge etc. You can find TVs so cheap here (29 inches for 10 k) that if you are staying a while then its probably better to shell out and buy your own. Same with a fridge, though of course they can be a hassle if you intend to move around the country a lot.

# Is it reasonable to demand airconditioner filters to be replaced before I move in? What about mattress?

Its reasonable to demand anything if the place is not up to scratch and worth doing just to test how your future landlord is. Just ask the landlord before you rent and see how they deal with it. If they sort it out for you straight away then you should be expecting the same good service from then once you're in the place and renting. If they can't be bothered to change even a dirty mattress for you at the start then they may be a constant hassle in the future when you need basic things done.

Edited by bkkmadness

# Is it reasonable to demand an english language contract for a small apartment?

You might be better finding someone to translate it for you. Really most contracts are standard, no ones out to get you so I wouldn't worry a great deal about the contract. Just have someone you trust give it a look over for you to make sure its a standard contract with no major oddities in it. You could ask for it translated but you might end up having to get it done yourself.

I have only lived in two apartments in Bangkok, but in both places the (one and only) contract was in english. The tenants in the first place was probably a fifty-fifty mix of farangs and Thai, but the second had only a few other foreigners living there. Maybe I was just lucky.

Anyway, I agree that you really don't need to be paranoid about the contract. I had no problems at either place and got my deposits back shortly after I moved out.

Sophon

The Dude details his Apt & Condo renting history in Thailand

Year 1

Hotel Room BKK 20K. nuff said

Year 2

1 BR condo bkk 66 sq mtr high rise far from new. pool, exer room, sm fridge, sink, hot plate, balcony, 26th fl. 1 year contract req'd. landlord cheap ass made The Dude shell 4K baht for AC repair. 25K mo, 50K deposit was raped from The Dude after 1 year. landlord cheapass biatch

Year 3

Hotel Room sized Apt Pattaya. friendly landlord. no contract month to month. 10K mo. no kitch. too small for The Dude. The Dude has too much chit. Elect ran 5K/mo. deposit refunded on spot. Thai neighbors hang out in front of Apts on railings of the Motel 6 like building. The Dude dont dig. The Dude digs privacy. Was nitemare for The Dude

year 4

The Dude returns to BKK and rents 2BR condo from farang for 30K. condo is nicest Dude dwelling thus far. no contract as Dude is trusted by said farang. very nice bldg 7 years old. pool, exer etc. 100 sq mtr. full kitch and washer. balcon. The Dude gets boot from condo aft a year and scrambles to find place fast

Year 5

The Dude, under extreme pressure to find place, searches his beloved BKK neighborhood. He sees that prices have skyrocketed in recent years. He finds a condo bldg that looks good from outside but upon entry sees it is a major dump for 1BR 25K. He looks further. He checks same bldg where he got boot. He sees same 2BRs going for 40-45K. He looks nearby at huge 220 sq Apt 2BRs for 60K. He is impressed but too much cash for The Dude but he is tempted nonetheless (The Dude only lives once). The Dude settles on a 165 sq mtr 2BR Apt near sky train and nitelife areas for 50K. 1 yr contract, pay 3 months at a pop. pretty decent bldg with all facilities. Apt ok and doable. The Dude going broke but he deals. Dig?

Here's my fun story for the month ....

I moved to Phuket 2 weeks ago ......

I paid my 6 mos rent in advance and will pay the next 6 mos in Dec.

2000 baht deposit in addition (phone line)

talked owner down from 13k a month to 9 K a month by paying 2X a year

moved from BKK where I was living in a small place I described above ... am now in Phuket (Kamala 5km from the main party beach) and living in a BIG 2 BR HOUSE .... Cable installed ... ADSL paid for and will be installed this week (they were out of routers). Kamala is a great kinda quiet village .. pretty beach ... surrounded by mountains on 3 sides and the beach on the other ...

spent 2 years in a condo ... 1BR .... one AC unit (in the bedroom) in Prawet ... 1KM from Seacon Square. Had a pool ... minimart ... inexpensive canteen that delivered free to the rooms ... 24 hour security ... carpark ... keycard access system. Paid 6500/month ... quiet soi on a green area ... 5km from Onnut BTS ... approx 120 baht for a taxi home from lower Suk after 11pm

Edited by jdinasia

studio place im in now costs 6,500 a month and it's in sathorn. its about 60 square metres with TV (ESPN and a movie channel), fridge and free high speed internet included. there is a balcony for your bbq and rice cooker etc. with bills it is about 7,500 a month (i dont like A/C)

the building is a year old so everything is in good condition.

there are washing machines downstairs, a security guard, cctv and finger scan entry. there isnt a pool or a restuarant.

it's a 30 baht moto ride to surasak BTS (five mins).

i'm moving out at the end of the month into a two-bed place for 9000 a month.

my current place is full but i hope this gives you an idea of prices etc.

Edited by leftcross