Topic for discounted imported food items: good idea or too much cheap charlie?

robertmueller

Is it really a product? I was thinking it was a joke. Really? Cheese in a tin?

And actually, when looking for alternative accommodation, I didn't want a condo - didn't realise there were such big ones here - and wanted a house. There were some not too bad ones for below 10,000/month, which surprised me a bit. Happy where we are, but if we hadn't have found the perfect one for us, I would have been happy to move into one of them and maybe spend a bit of money kitting it out the way I wanted it. And that was what I'd call in town, I didn't want anything out of range of red songtoews as I don't drive/ride here.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont start me on Monty Python..... can nearly quote Life of Brian verbatim.

Finally went to Promenada today. Yes Rimping is a great shop and its so quiet out there. Quite enjoyed it. No big specials unfortunately. Smuckers jam down to 99 baht a jar.

Tinned cheese was a rare luxury, living in the Yemen, when I were a lad ! rolleyes.gif

Eeh, but we had it tough, in't Good Old Days ! laugh.png

We may have been neighbours...

Tinned cheese was a rare luxury, living in the Yemen, when I were a lad ! rolleyes.gif

Eeh, but we had it tough, in't Good Old Days ! laugh.png

"Blessed are the cheese makers"

instead of paying 132 baht a bottle for HP Brown sauce i have recently discovered Phetcharats Brown Sauce which seems to be made by an English bloke who adores his wife so much he has stuck her face on the front of the bottle along with her name

its good stuff though and at 55 baht a bottle is a huge saving on HP which incidentally isn't even made in England anymore

Rimpings, Kasems, Northern Farms and other local outlets in Chiang Mai.

http://chiangmai-sauce.com/

post-155264-0-20227100-1415172011_thumb.

Edited by HughJass

Hi HughJass, I have seen that sauce in Rimping,but never tried it yet,is it any

good,is it an acceptable substitute for HP sauce ?,I have tried the one made

in Chiang Rai, smaller bottle and THB 65, when i have visitors coming from

the UK, HP is always on the list,prefer the Fruity HP,and its in plastic bottles

so travels OK.

regards worgeordie

I drink Dilmah, but the 130 baht ones from Makro aren't strong enough for most English people, from the north anyway. When we go back to Australia I always bring several big boxes of Extra Strength, the 3rd type by strength, and they are acceptable to most, but the ones you can get here are totally incomparable. It really is a case of apples and oranges to compare them to the strong 'builders' tea that the English like - 2 of those teabags don't quite do it, whereas 3 is too strong (and more expensive). It is very, very nice tea though. You can get the 'Strong' Dilmah in Malaysia, but often have to trail around several shops to find it, it's better than regular but still not strong enough; 2 of those teabags works well though.

I drink Dilmah, but the 130 baht ones from Makro aren't strong enough for most English people, from the north anyway. When we go back to Australia I always bring several big boxes of Extra Strength, the 3rd type by strength, and they are acceptable to most, but the ones you can get here are totally incomparable. It really is a case of apples and oranges to compare them to the strong 'builders' tea that the English like - 2 of those teabags don't quite do it, whereas 3 is too strong (and more expensive). It is very, very nice tea though. You can get the 'Strong' Dilmah in Malaysia, but often have to trail around several shops to find it, it's better than regular but still not strong enough; 2 of those teabags works well though.

I use one bag from Makro for two cups, no problem.

I use one bag from Makro for two cups, no problem.

If thats the case 1 extra strong teabag strength 3, from Marks would make about 6 cups for you.

Yup, we don't like drinking maiden's water, seriously strong or don;t bother and have coffee.

Coffee needs a 40k machine to make it, or it's not worth drinking.

On that point, we definitely agree licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Extra strong teabags at Marks and Spencer Central festival 325 baht for 160 bags , makes a great strong mug full , real builders stuff, or one bag makes two reasonable cups.

Dilmah Premium Ceylan Tea from Makro is just as good, 130bht for 100 bags.

(yes, Ceylon is spelt incorrectly on the box)

Maybe the tea is from Ceylan NOT Ceylon. ;)

Anyone remember Japanese porcelain a long time ago that was "Made in USA", Usa, Japan that is. ;)

Hi HughJass, I have seen that sauce in Rimping,but never tried it yet,is it any

good,is it an acceptable substitute for HP sauce ?,I have tried the one made

in Chiang Rai, smaller bottle and THB 65, when i have visitors coming from

the UK, HP is always on the list,prefer the Fruity HP,and its in plastic bottles

so travels OK.

regards worgeordie

I think the 65 baht sauce has a white label if i am not mistaken and came from Tops

didnt think much of that one,a little sweet in my opinion

at 55 baht you should pick up a bottle next time you are in Rimping

and yes the fruity HP is yummy

Yup, we don't like drinking maiden's water, seriously strong or don;t bother and have coffee.

Coffee needs a 40k machine to make it, or it's not worth drinking.

Hot water and a french press is all you need if it is good coffee.

You have your standards, I have mine.

French press = lukewarm coffee .... yuck!

If you are drinking coffee hotter than I make mine then you can't taste the coffee anyway cause you are scorching your taste buds.