'Traditional Thai Dance'

Boycie

Much as I love some Thai dance styles this sort of sentimental twaddle makes me want to puke. Pity there is not the same support for more regional styles, but hey this is Thai classical, about as relevant to most Thais as Morris dancing is in the UK, not very

Yeah well, remarks like that make me puke also. It is true that dance in the UK has devolved to bobbing up and down to no particular order or interaction. I led and taught a European dance group for many years and although our standard didn't reach the level shown in this clip, the pure joy of interacting with other dancers while remaining in a strict pattern of steps and movements was very addictive.

I know that this kind of Thai classical dance doesn't involve much interaction / reaction but neither do most Asiatic dances as far as I know. The general Isaan village dance is very similar to the stuff shown above and can be quite flirtatious. There have been threads containing links to local traditional dance ( http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6XsqRD7Y3lH3et0Ra70BtQ ) which were more or less completely ignored by ThaiVisa members.

Lastly, like the old lady towards the end, I occasionally look at fotos and videos of our group in its heyday and I can hardly believe all the stuff we did and places that we visited.

Local traditional is more relevant than classical, very few people including Thais are interested in classical, it's stiff, boring and a pain to watch for more than five minutes. Classical has no comparison to village dance, that's full of life, classical is robotic and dead and comes from the upper class, that's why it is sponsored, supported and chucked up in front of tourists as Thai culture.

Edited by jacky54