Arab states back US push against IS

webfact

^^

Whilst it is clear to see a sectarian Sunni versus Shia war is afoot I suspect that the Sunni states are even more fearful of a Caliphate swallowing up their territories. When push comes to shove which Arab nations will risk fracturing their own military by giving then the dilemma of support the nation or support the Caliphate. The same dynamic applies in the west too, in Denmark they could not find a single Imam willing to lead an anti-ISIS demo. Cracks are starting to appear before the ink on any agreement is dry. See the link regarding Turkey backtracking and Germany also seemingly getting cold feet.

http://app.debka.com/p/article/24262/Grave-setbacks-for-Obama’s-strategy-Turkey-backs-out-of-US-led-war-on-IS-Germany-UK-say-no-to-air-campaign

Whilst it is clear to see a sectarian Sunni versus Shia war is afoot I suspect that the Sunni states are even more fearful of a Caliphate swallowing up their territories. When push comes to shove which Arab nations will risk fracturing their own military by giving then the dilemma of support the nation or support the Caliphate. The same dynamic applies in the west too, in Denmark they could not find a single Imam willing to lead an anti-ISIS demo. Cracks are starting to appear before the ink on any agreement is dry. See the link regarding Turkey backtracking and Germany also seemingly getting cold feet.

http://app.debka.com/p/article/24262/Grave-setbacks-for-Obama’s-strategy-Turkey-backs-out-of-US-led-war-on-IS-Germany-UK-say-no-to-air-campaign

I think your observation is on the cutting edge of the great issues about this debacle. Regional countries have been appalled by the US negotiating with Iran behind their backs, setting a line with Syria and then lapsing, and otherwise being a very untrustworthy partner. It is known you can lead the US to believe you will fight along side them then back out because of internal politics, leaving the US to take the brunt of commitment. This fiasco of leadership is the unintended consequence of Obama's "lead from behind" policy. Turkey just demonstrated it can collapse a coalition, even though NATO, within hours.

The appalling betrayal of regional allies has had devastating and permanent consequences for the region. These states loath the Muslim Brotherhood and noted well what happened in Egypt, where even when nearly every single Egyptian in the country came to the streets to oust the MB, Obama threatened al sissi, not to do it or... The GCC states sent an emissary ASAP with promissory billions to makeup for the US retreat of assistance. Now regional players were taking a lead- they had to.

In Syria SA had been seriously promoting insurrection as a way to break Iranian hegemony. Qatar is also a very big player in the IS farce (and Turkey, playing an even greater deceptive role as a member of NATO). These regional countries were damned if they did, or if they did not. The time to act was now, before Iran had the bomb. They then gambled on a proxy to instigate the shia / sunni war necessary to reshape the region. Iran knows this. I know it. Anyone who really looks closely knows it. But for the most part Americans have no clue they are once again being manipulated for very dubious ends.

(I am aware SA and Qatar have been playing both sides of the terrorism front for a long time; indeed, they sustain it. This is why IS or its equal seems like such a good idea).

• Like 2