Is it hot, or is it me?

jaideeguy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it's 8 months of hell for 4 months of comfortable weather?? We all must be fools to endure that and after almost 15 years here, I wonder why I suffer.

I do envy the 'snowbirds' that can escape the heat and smoke and only spend Nov-Feb here, but with kids that are going to school, it's not practical.

On what basis were you expecting it to be cool here?

So, it's 8 months of hell for 4 months of comfortable weather?? We all must be fools to endure that and after almost 15 years here, I wonder why I suffer.

I do envy the 'snowbirds' that can escape the heat and smoke and only spend Nov-Feb here, but with kids that are going to school, it's not practical.

A lot of tourism websites propagate the myth that October to February is the "cool season" in Chiang Mai. But it's only "cool" at night, and only for about eight weeks. Who cares if it's a comfortable 15C/60F at 3 o'clock in the morning? It's the day temperatures that count, and it's almost always 30C by noon during the "cool" season.

Here's an excerpt from a birding website that is more in line with the truth: "Many people head to Chiang Mai in search of the legendary "cool" weather, however, arriving in the city I think that most people will be disappointed to find it almost as hot as Bangkok."

Another website states "The cool season runs from December to March, although there's usually just one week in December when temperatures are actually comfortable."

I too am looking forward to the winter months in Chiang Mai, because the heat is more bearable due to the lower humidity. But please don't call it the "cool season." Call it the less-hot-but-still-hot season.

• Like 2

Went to Warrarot this morning to get flowers and got distracted looking for a cobweb mop so it was 9.30-10.00 by the time I got under the roof heading for the flower section. To say it was torture is an understatement.

Sounds like a massive storm brewing at the moment, strong wind and loud thunder. Whilst we want rain to cool off a bit, the water catchment area's need it for other far more important reasons and the farmers - I never thought I'd feel sorry for a farmer, in the west you never meet a rich one (but they're driving a brand new Range Rover or whatever the in things is at the time), but I really feel for the rice farmers here. I curse them when they burn off their stubble, but without significant rain over the next few weeks, I fear that they will be unable to plant rice in the paddies due to a lack of water, perhaps not until next year when rainy season starts.

MaeJo and Sansai areas planted early last month.

It's all very green now.

A lot of tourism websites propagate the myth that October to February is the "cool season" in Chiang Mai. But it's only "cool" at night, and only for about eight weeks. Who cares if it's a comfortable 15C/60F at 3 o'clock in the morning? It's the day temperatures that count, and it's almost always 30C by noon during the "cool" season.

Here's an excerpt from a birding website that is more in line with the truth: "Many people head to Chiang Mai in search of the legendary "cool" weather, however, arriving in the city I think that most people will be disappointed to find it almost as hot as Bangkok."

Another website states "The cool season runs from December to March, although there's usually just one week in December when temperatures are actually comfortable."

I too am looking forward to the winter months in Chiang Mai, because the heat is more bearable due to the lower humidity. But please don't call it the "cool season." Call it the less-hot-but-still-hot season.

Based on my past 10 years experience, the tourism web sites are correct! "Cool" however is a relative term.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

Lovin it, no aircon, only a bedside fan

getting some good sweating out all the shit and losing weight action happening

Your not losing weight from sweating just the weight of the sweat which you will gain back again.

Never said im sweating out the weight, i said im sweating out all the nasty shit, ie detox. I drink 4-5 liters of water a day

Scales say ive lost 7-8kg in the last few months, thats mostly from all the exercise ive been doing and my diet, warm weather helps as you like to eat more comfort food when your cold

Is it hot? Its been a brutally cold summer. Lots of rain very few days actually got about 30*C. Today its cloudy and only 8*C, was -3*C overnight yesterday....(In Saskatchewan)

oh wait...This is the section where people are complaining the weather isn't good enough, but its damn near perfect, lol.

• Like 1

very easy solution,put the a/c on..(if u have one)

Better still, leave the aircon off so your body gets accustomed to the hotter, humid conditions here.

Why do people want to get their bodies conditioned to an air-conditioned room at 22c then go outside in 36c and high humidity?

Why live here if people say it is too hot? Put up with the heat and humidity!

Thais especially who work in a aircon room all day moan and complain when they go outside.

By the way "evenstevens" were you at Flemington on 6.11.1962? :-)

• Like 2

very easy solution,put the a/c on..(if u have one)

Better still, leave the aircon off so your body gets accustomed to the hotter, humid conditions here.

Why do people want to get their bodies conditioned to an air-conditioned room at 22c then go outside in 36c and high humidity?

Why live here if people say it is too hot? Put up with the heat and humidity!

Thais especially who work in a aircon room all day moan and complain when they go outside.

By the way "evenstevens" were you at Flemington on 6.11.1962? :-)

when i feel a little hot under the collar, i whack the a/c on at 27c

was i at flemington???

sadly no, my avatar was a champion race horse,won the caul/melb double in1962,ridden by les coles,both were kiwis

over the years it was my one and only winner, that i have ever backed in the big one(melb cup), very poor record to say the least

the only thing i ever miss, after living here for 13 yrs plus is a punt,when i return to syd every year ,first stop is the pub/,club tab,nothing else gets in the way

thks marquis22 for bringing back the terrific memories

We don't use A/Cs,coming from the UK,we never used them,

just have the windows in the house open,bedroom windows

open at night,if very hot, a wall fan is enough,also have quite

a few pools around the house and plenty of trees and shrubs.

always better to use natural cooling if possible,but if you live

in a condo,A/C is the only way i suppose.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Prolonged exposure to heat and humidity can lead to a variety of skin problems (eczema, rashes, bacterial infections, etc.), even if you're acclimatized. Which is why dermatologists recommend air conditioning whenever possible in order to prevent flare-ups.

Not to mention Herpes and HIV.

Lucky that most of are healthy.

Prolonged exposure to heat and humidity can lead to a variety of skin problems (eczema, rashes, bacterial infections, etc.), even if you're acclimatized. Which is why dermatologists recommend air conditioning whenever possible in order to prevent flare-ups.

..and cancer, old age and ugliness. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

...and dementia too, as the above responses seem to indicate smile.png

...and dementia too, as the above responses seem to indicate smile.png

So, HIV and temperature are related, please supply your source for that!

Lovin it, no aircon, only a bedside fan

getting some good sweating out all the shit and losing weight action happening

Your not losing weight from sweating just the weight of the sweat which you will gain back again.

Never said im sweating out the weight, i said im sweating out all the nasty shit, ie detox. I drink 4-5 liters of water a day

Scales say ive lost 7-8kg in the last few months, thats mostly from all the exercise ive been doing and my diet, warm weather helps as you like to eat more comfort food when your cold

When are you cold 3am in January?

We don't use A/Cs,coming from the UK,we never used them,

just have the windows in the house open,bedroom windows

open at night,if very hot, a wall fan is enough,also have quite

a few pools around the house and plenty of trees and shrubs.

always better to use natural cooling if possible,but if you live

in a condo,A/C is the only way i suppose.

regards Worgeordie

Even in a condo living without air-con is do-able, and I'm one of those people who is always hot, even winters back in England I would have one leg out of the quilt. I don't have the option, I don't even use it when my husband is out, because when he comes home he knows it's been on - he doesn't moan, doesn't even mention it, but he starts getting all snuffly and often his nose swells up. Before we moved in, I asked them to put a security screen door on, we never close the main door unless we're going away, it stays open 24 hours a day, along with most of the windows so we get a really good cross-breeze and it keeps the condo cool. We chose this condo because it doesn't get the sun and is on the same floor as the pool and gym, so instead of closed in, ventilation-free corridors, we have floor to ceiling windows at the other end of the corridor which I'm yet to see closed. On other floors you would get a breeze coming up and down the stairs though, so it certainly can be done in any condo.

Living in air conditioning all the time can't be good for you I wouldn't have thought. When I stopped working, I noticed straight away how I didn't need to put so much cream on my face because the moisture wasn't being sucked out of it all day.

And this one will make my 1,000th post. Do I get a prize?

I don't really mind rainy season, although it took a while to acclimate. March through May is the only time the weather really bothers me, but it is the best time for fresh fruit, so I try to concentrate on the upside.

Have to agree UG, in fact I think rainy season is my favorite. Everything is so green and lush and it very seldom rains all day.

As you said some dandy fruit (mangos being my favorite)come into season during the hot season and I think the mosquitoes aren't as bad during the really hot months. That's what I tell myself anyway.

I agree with this for most years but the last less-hot-but-still-hot season was was pretty chilly from the middle of December till the middle of January out in the sticks of Lampang province.Even the afternoons were a comfortable 25 to 28c in the sun. It was heaven.

I have noticed the big cumulus clouds boiling up just about every afternoon, and hoping they would bring a nice shower, but it's been about two weeks with no significant daytime rain in the city. The daytime heat and humidity do seem to be on the high side. When it gets to be too much I try to think how it will be in about six weeks , where I came from, the US Pacific Northwest. Short gray days, lots of rain, 42F/6C, late November wind and rainstorm delivering widespread power outages. Hypothermic conditions, while we here stroll downtown at night to watch the Loy Krathong festivities, sending our little boat of wishes and dreams down the river, with the lanterns lighting up the sky.

Winters in the Pacific N West used to really get to me, lived in Vancouver Washington, grey skies every day for weeks on end. However the skiing kept me sane.