Wat Chai Market to be dismantled as military continues clearing sidewalks nationwide

Rimmer

Wat Chai Market to be dismantled as military continues clearing sidewalks nationwide

n7Market.jpg

Pattaya’s Permanent Secretary Pakorn Sukhonthachat (right) and city lawyer Natapong Maithong explain why the area must be demolished.

PATTAYA:--South Pattaya’s popular Wat Chaimongkol street market is set to be dismantled this week as Pattaya falls in line with national efforts to clear sidewalks of illegal vendors.

Permanent Secretary Pakorn Sukhonthachat advised food, clothing and other vendors Sept. 3 they had until Sept. 12 to remove their stands or have the demolished by the city under orders from the Department of Lands, which now is strictly enforcing the 1999 law on cleanliness and tidiness of sidewalks.

Vendors were advised via public notice on Aug. 28 they had 15 days to move and have been offered spots at the Naklua Market. However, many vendors are resisting, complaining the new market is too far from their homes and their customer base.

South Pattaya’s popular Wat Chaimongkol street market is set to be dismantled this week as Pattaya falls in line with national efforts to clear sidewalks of illegal vendors.

Permanent Secretary Pakorn Sukhonthachat advised food, clothing and other vendors Sept. 3 they had until Sept. 12 to remove their stands or have the demolished by the city under orders from the Department of Lands, which now is strictly enforcing the 1999 law on cleanliness and tidiness of sidewalks.

Vendors were advised via public notice on Aug. 28 they had 15 days to move and have been offered spots at the Naklua Market. However, many vendors are resisting, complaining the new market is too far from their homes and their customer base.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/wat-chai-market-to-be-dismantled-as-military-continues-clearing-sidewalks-nationwide-41074#sthash.gpq9aHKO.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-09-12 footer_n.gif

“However, many vendors are resisting, complaining the new market is too far from their homes and their customer base “

that is one reason but this could also be another…………………

“ The department sent a formal warning letter to the city, telling them to end the practice in 2008. Vendors have been selling on the sidewalks rent-free ever sincerolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

South Pattaya’s popular Wat Chaimongkol street market is set to be dismantled this week as Pattaya falls in line with national efforts to clear sidewalks of illegal vendors.

When they say

"Wat Chai Market to be dismantled,"

that sounds misleading since most of the market and things on sale are not in the street.

Are they only talking about people selling on the sidewalk/pavement & literally in the street or the main market that's under the roof between Pattaya Tai and Soi 15 where most things are being sold?

Most of those on the street or walkway only sell food items or lottery tickets. Some of the shops along the walk carry their merchandise out onto the walk, but their business is based in actual store front shops. Further east in front of the large 7-Eleven there are some more permanent stands that might be demolished

And of course, there's the Tuesday-Friday market further east on Pattaya Tai across from TukCom and Friendship and there are always some food, trinket and lottery ticket sellers out on the street, but most of these don't have "stands" to demolish. They usually sit on the pavement or have movable carts.

These fruit vendors set up tables to sell or sit on the pavement, but at the approach of any demolition crews those would just disappear temporarily. Even now sometimes a police vehicle with a loud speaker comes along and many of those in the street vanish briefly.

6081609.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

This action (if successful) will certainly alter the very character of this S-Pattaya area.

We lived in this area for 10 years and the way I look at it is this:

I know it's there and that it is very difficult to use that sidewalk for getting yourself from A to B.

So; unless I need anything from that vibrant market, I would avoid it and take an alternate route (like "across the road").

Why do some of these changes have to be made ? ? Isn't this one of the many reasons why we love Thailand; the total 'chaotic order' which

enchants so many of us ? ?

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I wish they would clear all footpaths, but not just from people selling stuff, clear all the leaning electric poles, all the disused phone boxes, tree stumps etc!!

I quite agree 2nd road and beach road sidewalks should also be cleared so we don't have to walk in the road

• Like 1

I wish they would clear all footpaths, but not just from people selling stuff, clear all the leaning electric poles, all the disused phone boxes, tree stumps etc!!

I quite agree 2nd road and beach road sidewalks should also be cleared so we don't have to walk in the road

Moving motorbikes for rent would help to creat more parking areas

• Like 1

Gotta leave at least one of those phone boxes to aid the perennial quest for the "nice" Thai girl:

QUESTION: Are there any truly “nice” girls in Pattaya?

ANSWER: YES! They convene once a year in the phone booth at South Pattaya and Pattaya 2 Roads.

—paraphrased from old joke in the Pattaya Mail

Wat Chai is across the street on Pattaya Tai

so it is not The Wat Chai Market as the headline suggests

This is indeed about the small covered food market opposite Wat Chaimongkron,

but "Wat Chai Market" is the name everyone give it, even if not inside the wat park.

When they say "Wat Chai Market to be dismantled," that sounds misleading

since most of the market and things on sale are not in the street.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but right now the street market is very very quiet and few sellers,

but the covered food market has been emptied too, at least the area on Pattaya Tai side.

Edited by Pattaya46

Wat Chai is across the street on Pattaya Tai

so it is not The Wat Chai Market as the headline suggests

This is indeed about the small covered food market opposite Wat Chaimongkron,

but "Wat Chai Market" is the name everyone give it, even if not inside the wat park.

When they say "Wat Chai Market to be dismantled," that sounds misleading

since most of the market and things on sale are not in the street.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but right now the street market is very very quiet and few sellers,

but the covered food market has been emptied too, at least the area on Pattaya Tai side.

I lived across the street from it and it was always referred to as the Pattaya wet market

All the grumpy ex-pats.........rolleyes.gif

It would be nice if they just "hosed" it down regularly......and carted away the "stinking" bags of rotting food....

Anyway....it's part of the "charm" of living here.......wai.gif

• Like 1

so Im going to have to cook for my own late night meals now?

this place is turning into farangland rapidly

You can continue to find food there as before.

Only the small part that is the market with a roof has been closed.

Sellers are still all night on the pavement and on the street.

South Road is still Eating Street from 11pm to 6am wink.png

• Like 2