Thai student wins £1 million jackpot in UK

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She should be made to pay the million pounds back to the British taxpayer who have paid for her health care through the National health service for years.All for free.She and thousands of Thais in Britain who have been getting one sort of a benefit or another all for free should be made to pay the benefits back if they get " in the money."

You sad,sad,sad person.

• Like 2

100 baht gets you more than 50 million baht in the UK. In Thailand? About 3 million. Go figure.

In Thailand? About 3 million.

So how did one monk win 6 million baht with one ticket and another monk win 38 million with several tickets in the same draw? Go figure indeed.

Anyway, the amounts available for prizes would depend on the price AND the number of tickets sold.

PATTAYA: -- A Monk residing at a South Pattaya Temple won 38 Million Baht on the Thai National Lottery on Sunday. Another Monk at the same Temple, who was ordained on Sunday won 6 Million Baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647756-44-million-baht-lottery-wins-for-two-pattaya-monks/

Well now it seems that two Pattaya monks, a 23 year old and a 81 year old have just nailed the Thai National Lottery jackpot worth a very handy FORTY FOUR MILLION Thai bahts (£934,000) and now prove even more of an embarrassment to national Buddhist leaders

http://www.wintrillions.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/two-monks-from-thailand-win-44-million-baht-national-lottery-jackpot.html

Right, so you have the option to buy 10 tickets of the same number. Each at an average of 100thb (20 or so baht above face value, which is totally absurd). So 1,000 baht for the chance of winning 30+ mb? 3-days wages for the minimum wage earner? Last I remember the California Lotto got you a chance for a minimum $7m (210 million baht) for a buck. That same buck could get you a US Powerball chance for $300+ (9 billion baht)!

In the Far East this mammoth win would probably be some kind of scam or a 'fix' but it is reassuring that Ladbroke's are a very reputable UK company

Maybe this young lady would like to buy a nice plot of land around Chester or invest in a beautiful home in the Premier footballer's belt in Cheshire

Not something I could do if I won an equivalent amount given the anti Farang property and land ownership restrictions

Don't feel even a hint of jealousy. I just hope that the winner can cope with all the pressures that will follow her win

Lots of sick buffaloes on the horizon

These days, she wouldn't be able to buy a home (not much of one, anyway) in the footballer's belt in Cheshire with only £1m.

Not sure to which restrictions you are referring, on foreign ownership of houses/land in Cheshire.

UK has very few such restrictions on property ownership, unlike many other countries.

Edited by attento
  • Like 1

...ironic....

...I was told 'foreigners are not entitled to any wins in the Thai Lottery'....

Same as USA then.

I believe that in the USA you cannot enjoy your big fat winnings all at once, but have to take it in dribs and drabs for years till you die (hopefully, they calculate) long before you spend all the money. Plus you pay tax on the winnings. I don't think this happens in any other country.

She will also share her new fortune with her mother, who still lives in Thailand.

What a surprise...NOT! tongue.pngwai.gif

I think your comment is cynical the reality is that there are many single Mother's in Thailand that receive little or no financial help from the government and their children, when they grow up have the intelligence to realise what their mother provided for them when they were small. In Western countries the State pay for a place to live, food etc. In the UK this is a professional business for some Immigrants who are quite happy to live off the UK benefit system with no shame or intention to work. The UK government is so out of touch with reality it is astonishing. I am British and part of the reason I left was that I was so fed up with a great system being abused and I was paying 40% tax so much going to lazy immigrants but sadly people like you still think you are in the West.

Those "lazy immigrants" tend to work at jobs that Brits turn their noses up at.....

• Like 2

To answer two questions: Hotsoup.I am an Englishman living in Thailand because of the currency.My money is worth more in Thailand so I can live a better life due to the fact that Thailand is a poorer country.But dont get me wrong.I like Thailand and I have never said a bad word about it.

7by7.Why dont YOU ask these "students" how they con money out of the British taxpayer.I dont know how they do it.But I once saw an Indian woman drawing three lots of payments from an Indian managed Post office in London.She waited for me to come out and offered me a pack of beer. Obviously to keep me quiet.

Can someone please tell me why Scotland can scream and shout about their country.Why Australians can shout out about leaving Britain, to mention just two examples,and yet if anyone like myself sticks up for the country I love-Britain all hell is let loose.You say I am stupid,racist an idiot a fool?

Actualy,most people regard me as being a nice guy.I hope this Thai girl enjoys her windfall.

She will also share her new fortune with her mother, who still lives in Thailand.

What a surprise...NOT! tongue.pngwai.gif

I think your comment is cynical the reality is that there are many single Mother's in Thailand that receive little or no financial help from the government and their children, when they grow up have the intelligence to realise what their mother provided for them when they were small. In Western countries the State pay for a place to live, food etc. In the UK this is a professional business for some Immigrants who are quite happy to live off the UK benefit system with no shame or intention to work. The UK government is so out of touch with reality it is astonishing. I am British and part of the reason I left was that I was so fed up with a great system being abused and I was paying 40% tax so much going to lazy immigrants but sadly people like you still think you are in the West.

Those "lazy immigrants" tend to work at jobs that Brits turn their noses up at.....

No the lazy ones don't work at all.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

For the UK lottery the only rule for winners is that they must be over 16 years of age so anyone of any nationality can be a winner.

and be resident in the UK ( not sure if or how they verify the residency status ) .

Wrong - no residency required for the UK lottery. Not sure about Thai lottery though!

I wonder what would happen if a farang won a Thai lottery?

The Thai's would be delighted at the farangs good fortune, exactly the same as the Brits are about the Thai student,,, what else would you expect?

• Like 1

There seems to be some misunderstanding. If someone posts a message on ThaiVisa that you dont agree with, it does not mean that person is stupid or a <deleted> .It simply means that they have a different opinion to you. It is my opinion that the thousands of Thai people getting all the free handouts in Britain should be made to pay if they become rich. After all it is me a British taxpayer who is supplying them with the handouts.I am not stupid.It is my opinion.

What handouts? She is a student at a UK University. Do you know what that costs? And she needs health insurance not the NHS. I can't believe the racist ignorance on TV

Thank you hotsoup for rushing to the front line. I often find myself doing that, but I feel more and more tired to try and oppose rational thoughts to idiotic, racist, prejudiced, antediluvian, nasty, judgmental, stereotyped and self-agrandizing attitudes of self-righteous Westerners here who think that the West has it all, understands it all, and achieved it all without causing any harm to the rest of the world.

... And who nevertheless came to live here... for some obscure reason.

Again, thank you, hotsoup, may your soup never get cold.

What on earth is that supposed to mean?. A girl wins the lottery. Lucky her. As above not likely to be poor girl given what it costs a foreign student to study in the UK.I fail to understand your problem. But of course I am not a westerner! And your reason for living here, if you do?

LOL obviously you didn't understand a word of what I was trying to say and that I totally agreed with you. Mai pen rai ! biggrin.png

For the UK lottery the only rule for winners is that they must be over 16 years of age so anyone of any nationality can be a winner.

and be resident in the UK ( not sure if or how they verify the residency status ) .

Wrong - no residency required for the UK lottery. Not sure about Thai lottery though!

Apologies, I stand corrected.. You are correct for buying UK National Lottery tickets at a shop. I was referring to (but didn't specify) playing the UK National Lottery online, which does require the player to be a UK resident. No idea about Ladbrokes.

Edited by attento

A cynic might offer ... I wonder how long it will take her to Gamble it away.

I hope she's better then that.

Time will tell.

She's on her way to the race track with friends today. I wonder if she'll keep her head or answer your question.

To answer two questions: Hotsoup.I am an Englishman living in Thailand because of the currency.My money is worth more in Thailand so I can live a better life due to the fact that Thailand is a poorer country.But dont get me wrong.I like Thailand and I have never said a bad word about it.

7by7.Why dont YOU ask these "students" how they con money out of the British taxpayer.I dont know how they do it.But I once saw an Indian woman drawing three lots of payments from an Indian managed Post office in London.She waited for me to come out and offered me a pack of beer. Obviously to keep me quiet.

Can someone please tell me why Scotland can scream and shout about their country.Why Australians can shout out about leaving Britain, to mention just two examples,and yet if anyone like myself sticks up for the country I love-Britain all hell is let loose.You say I am stupid,racist an idiot a fool?

Actualy,most people regard me as being a nice guy.I hope this Thai girl enjoys her windfall.

It is nice to ,eventually, get a positive comment from you in the last sentence. Shame the rest of it is dire.

You may find your pound goes further for you in India than it does in Thailand, if that is your reason for living in Thailand. You never know, you might like it (I did).

Did it occur to you that the lady in the post office was possibly a British Citizen claiming for numerous benefits or did you assume she was also a foreign student because of her ethnic origin ?

Why are you suspicious of post offices in England being managed by a British Citizen of Indian ethnic origin?

How old are you anyway? You come across as being 16 (with bad grammar skills).

True to say its attitudes such as yours that prompted me to leave the UK in 1992 (I am British, but really don't like being there).

• Like 2

Apologies, I stand corrected.. You are correct for buying UK National Lottery tickets at a shop. I was referring to (but didn't specify) playing the UK National Lottery online, which does require the player to be a UK resident. No idea about Ladbrokes.

I guess that will be one consequence of Scottish Independence, they will have to start their own lottery as they will no longer be able to take part in the National Lottery. Probably means a small National lottery jackpot as well without Scottish participation.

decades ago, I won $50 in a Mexican lottery. I was traveling in my p-u truck and had the winning ticket in my wallet. Wallet was stolen. Haven't been a fan of lotteries since then. I'm a fan of the winning Thai chick, though. great photo! If she wants hansom man for geek or fren', she can meet me, somewhere with the lights down low.

Edited by boomerangutang

Soihok.The woman must have been up to no good if she tried to bribe me with a pack of Lager.With your mentality you would probably make up a story saying it is an Indian custom to give packs of lager away outside of British post offices.Also,I counted three grammar errors in your post. It is a good thing that you have left Britain. Looney lefties like yourself have ruined a once great country.

7by7.Why dont YOU ask these "students" how they con money out of the British taxpayer.I dont know how they do it.

You are the one claiming they are 'conning money out of the British taxpayer;' up to you to prove it.

I am informing you that if they are in the UK with Tier 4 (student) visas they are unable to legally do so. Indeed, anyone in the UK with any type of visa is unable to claim virtually all public funds, until they have ILR, which takes at least 5 years residency to obtain. If you had read the leaflet I linked to earlier, you would know this.

In order to claim public funds people have to prove their eligibility to do so.

But I once saw an Indian woman drawing three lots of payments from an Indian managed Post office in London.She waited for me to come out and offered me a pack of beer. Obviously to keep me quiet.

Keep you quiet? Only in your imagination.

As already said, she may have very well been eligible for the money she was clamming; if she was claiming anything at all! Were you peering over her shoulder to see what money she was withdrawing and where it came from?

Did you know her circumstances and therefore know that, assuming she was withdrawing state benefits, you knew for sure it was money she was not entitled to?

I suspect not; I suspect you saw an brown person withdrawing money and immediately your prejudice kicked in and thought "Another bloody immigrant sponging off my taxes!"

As for the post office manager; they have to keep meticulous accounts and if s/he was involved in anything nefarious they would be caught and punished appropriately.

Of course, as a concerned citizen who knows their civic duty, you obviously reported these suspected breaches of the immigration and benefit rules to the proper authorities; didn't you?

Can someone please tell me why Scotland can scream and shout about their country.Why Australians can shout out about leaving Britain, to mention just two examples,and yet if anyone like myself sticks up for the country I love-Britain all hell is let loose.You say I am stupid,racist an idiot a fool? Actualy,most people regard me as being a nice guy.

What?

Scotland is having an independence referendum, what has that got to do with a Thai girl winning £1million at Ladbrokes or foreign students and immigrants illegally claiming public funds to which they are not entitled?

Australians shout about leaving Britain? Australia became a dominion, i.e. stopped being a colony, in 1907!

Not calling you stupid, but you are coming across as prejudiced and ignorant of the rules.

Your posts in this topic certainly do not come across as being from a nice guy!

I hope this Thai girl enjoys her windfall.

Too little, too late.

Good for her. Be nice if she shovels some of it back into the rUK economy.

As she has already paid £310 for her Tier 4 visa and her foreign student fees to her place of study; she has already contributed.

Plus of course the VAT on most of the things she has purchased since coming to the UK.

Plus the tax she will pay on these winnings; though I'm not sure exactly how that is worked out.

Players of the UK national lottery must be physically present in the UK or Isle of Man; even if playing online.

From the National Lottery's terms and rules for draw based games played online.

1. Buying Entries

1.1 Unless You have set up a Direct Debit in line with Rule 3, You can only buy an Entry if You have a debit card registered to Your Account and if You are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man and logged into Your Account.

1.7 Subject to Rule 1.9, the following people cannot buy an Entry (and Camelot will not be liable to pay a Prize to them):

(f) any person who is not physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when seeking to buy, or at the time of buying, the relevant Entry;

1.10 You agree that playing the Games (including accessing Your Account) whilst located in any jurisdiction other than the UK or the Isle of Man is strictly prohibited. You also agree that Camelot will not be liable to pay a Prize to You in respect of any Games Played Online that You played whilst located in any jurisdiction other than the UK or Isle of Man. Camelot has the right to terminate Your Account and any associated active Direct Debit, and refuse any and all current or future Entries by You or access to the Site by You if it suspects or knows that You have played or are intending to play the Games Played Online whilst located in any jurisdiction other than the UK or Isle of Man.

3. Playing by Direct Debit

3.2 You must satisfy the following criteria before a Direct Debit can start and, once it has started, whilst it continues: (a) You must be recognised by checks carried out by Camelot as being a resident of the UK or Isle of Man;

Similar rules apply if buying a ticket from a shop; but unless you win a large prize, no one is going to check your residency when you claim that prize from the shop.

However, not really relevant as this lucky girl wasn't playing the national lottery, she was playing, and won, a lottery type game at Ladbrokes.