TrueOnline DOCSIS (Cable) Internet Price Changes

Pib

This morning on the television I noticed a Thai language banner going across the TV screen that seemed to say True's Cable (DOCSIS) Internet Plan for 15Mb download/1.5Mb upload speed was now Bt599/month (excluding VAT). Now I've been on that plan for a while now but when I signed up it was Bt699/month. Well, actually when I signed up years ago I was on the 14Mb/1.4Mb plan at Bt699 but over last year or so that plan went away and they automatically upgraded me to the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at the same Bt699 price. I went to their website to confirm the new pricing. I also noticed they had a new speed plan now (or at least new to me) which was 18Mb/1.8Mb at Bt699/month.

Not wanting to continue to pay Bt699/month for 15Mb/1.5Mb when a new customer would get it for Bt599 I called TrueOnline asking to be switched to the new price. I thought they may be resistive to the change request like saying that's for new customers only, or maybe saying I would automatically be upgraded to the 18Mb/1.8Mb plan for Bt699 (I really wasn't interested in an upgrade). But no, they happily did what I requested in switching me to the new Bt599/month cost....they said it would take about 3 days to occur and I would get an SMS when completed.

If they had offered just to switch me to the 18Mb/1.8Mb plan at Bt699 I would have been resistive to that because for my daily domestic/in-Thailand internet needs 15Mb/1.5Mb is more than fast enough and actually I get around 30Mb short term download speed (no change in upload speed) with the "bursting/speedboost" capability on DOCSIS. And when it comes to international speed, I seriously doubt the 18Mb/1.8Mb would be any faster than the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan based on my testing when I use to be on their 20Mb/2Mb (no longer sold I think) and other testing done by other ThaiVisa members who have posted their international speed results over the years. Just too much speed throttling on Thai Internet Service Providers international gateways, but that's a subject that been talked to death in other posts.

Anyway, if you are on a TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable internet plan, like the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan at the old, higher pricing, you may want to give True a call....the number to call is on your monthly bill.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Pib.

My office has always had the 20/2 package which as you say seems to be gone now so I'll get someone to check whether they've upgraded it to 30/3.

I'll report back in case others are in the same situation.

Well, they don't seem to "advertise" it anymore and with the 30/3 plan now the same price I expect it's no longer available. With the 30/3 plan now the same price/month as to what the 20/2 plan use to go for I would hope they would at least upgrade you to the new, faster plan, but that may require a cable modem swapout as "I think" for the 20Mb speed plans and below they issue the customer DOCSIS 2.0 modems and for 30Mb and higher speed plans they issue a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. So a plan upgrade in such a case would require them coming out to collect the old modem and giving you a new one.

I also saw on the True website automatic upgrades were suppose to occur by the end of 2014 so maybe what that is saying for those folks on older, slower plans which now cost the same as new, faster plans that those folks will be automatically upgraded to the new plan, higher speed before the end of 2014 (unless they called in asking otherwise...maybe just staying on the current speed but wanting the new, lower cost like what I did).

....they said it would take about 3 days to occur and I would get an SMS when completed.

Got the SMS this Saturday afternoon...about 28 hours after I made my change request on Friday/yesterday. As mentioned in my OP, they said it would take about 72 hours when submitting the request. So, my 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS plan now only costs me Bt599/mo (exc VAT) versus the previous Bt699/mo.

Pib, was the B699 plan the one that includes the basic CATV package with around 75 TV channels? And, if so, does it still do so for B599?

No, this was internet only plan I initially got back in mid 2011. The plan that comes with a 12Mb speed plan and some TV channels starts at Bt699 like shown at this Link. Hard to keep track of all the different plans that come and go with True.

@Pib: Thanks, especially for the link to the current offering. I can't get True cable at my current condo, but I may be moving and am getting up to date with what's available now. I used to have a 15Mbps/1.5Mbps plan with the Knowledge CATV package for B999 and it was fast, and the TV channels were enough for me.

My staff called TRUE this morning and because our account is in a company name, we need to add a few more sheets of paper to the huge pile they must already have.. But anyway, yes they will do the upgrade from 20/2 to 30/3 at no cost and apparently it will be effective in a couple of days.

So thanks for the tip Pib because it's a case of don't ask, don't get.

My staff called TRUE this morning and because our account is in a company name, we need to add a few more sheets of paper to the huge pile they must already have.. But anyway, yes they will do the upgrade from 20/2 to 30/3 at no cost and apparently it will be effective in a couple of days.

So thanks for the tip Pib because it's a case of don't ask, don't get.

With the speed going from 20/2Mb to 30/3Mb, the staff--and especially the boss--should now be 50% more productive.tongue.png

• Like 1

...my daily domestic/in-Thailand internet needs 15Mb/1.5Mb is more than fast enough and actually I get around 30Mb short term download speed (no change in upload speed) with the "bursting/speedboost" capability on DOCSIS.

And just to give an example of where I mentioned I actually get around 30Mb domestic download speed on my 15Mb plan due to DOCSIS shortterm speedboosting, below is a speedtest I did on the TOT speedtester at 2:30pm. I'm in Bangkok testing to TOT's Bangkok server.

post-55970-0-41281800-1410766523_thumb.j

Edited by Pib